• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Without a computer on Labor Day weekend too, at least you got an insane story out of it.

What game were you playing? Does this effect your charity stream?

I was playing Epistory when it happened... The Humble Monthly keeps on giving. The charity stream isnt until Nov 5th so I'm sure I'll be up and running before then.

Sucks that happened, hope warranty does cover a lot of it and you're back in the game pronto. Thankfully we do live in an era where there's a lot of ways to get entertainment with free time, so sure you'll find something to do (even if it's not the preferred time waster).

Yes thankfully I still have a full PS4 backlog as well as a 3DS, Xbox One and like literally thousands of non-PC games, I'm sure I'll find something cool to play in the mean time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
6. Asylum. You might remember this developer KSing another project 2 years ago because Asylum was wrapping up. The rare backers-only updates seem to exemplify how they're still poking at a fairly early version of the game. They ran out of money and downsized. One backers only update over the summer.

Updated today with the following news:
- We had a livestream but the video wasn't good and there were technical issues so we're not sharing any video with anyone
- We were going to record some gameplay video for backers but that hasn't worked out yet
- We are going to release a new demo sometime, we promise
- Then the rest of the update is some video clips of picking up a book in game, rotating it around in 3d, and reading text inside it

Initial KS: February 2013
Estimated delivery of final product: December 2013 (11 months of development time)
Date that the project lead kickstartered another game because Asylum was in the home scratch: October 2014. Quote from second KS: "And we’re still working on Asylum, which was successfully Kickstarted last year and is in the final stages of production (we promise, it’s really coming!)". (32 months of development time)
Date today: September 2016 (43 months of development time)

The entire projected length of development for the game from day one until day of release is the same amount of time it's been since the project developer said the game is in the final stages of production, and there's still no release date and they seem like they're at least a year away and they can't record footage of gameplay because there are so many issues, and also it's been 4 times the initial estimate for the project.

Cool!

I knew NieR was coming for a while, but now that it's been announced my hype is through the roof.

I wasn't sure but I was suspecting this. But only maybe 2 to 6 months later. Maybe not even at all depending on sales of Setsuna or anything else not FF. In the end... it's coming day and date and it's gloriiiiiiiiiiioooous.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The challenge with OG NieR is who you'd get to do the port. The original studio (unfortunately) no longer exists, which means there's likely to be some asset loss (not guaranteed), and typically even if you hire an outsourcing studio to do the port they have access to the original studio to work with them and figure things out.

Why do so many racing games start with unskippable cutscenes? The Forza series, Burnout Paradise, Need for Speed Most Wanted - they all make you watch promo movies before the game starts.

Parsnip

La-Mulana 2 seems to be progressing very slowly, but progressing nonetheless. The backers-only updates are frustrating for me tracking it, but at least they're updating. I would call this yellow, or average risk.

Spaceventure I think might get done. They've been out of money for years, and that's scary, and it's years over the deadline, and that's scary too, so it's definitely high risk. They update pretty frequently, they released a little spinoff game to make a bit of money, and it looks kinda like it's eventually coming together. Can't remember if I have this as yellow or orange but I think could justify either.

Unsung Story and Project Phoenix are both cataclysmically bad Kickstarters. A total embarrassment to everyone involved. Here are my update notes for Unsung Story:
Jun 28: Progress update: No progress to speak of.
Apr 9: Progress Update: No progress to speak of.
Feb 27: The good news is they've come clean about how much they've managed to do by spending all the money. The bad news is that they've done basically nothing so far.
Feb 6: Lost some staff members, nowhere near anything, have no idea what's going on
Oct 20: Some combat footage.
Sep 30: Did an AMA where they said nothing.
Sep 21: Development is hard, times are hard, also we're rolling out in phases and first is PvP. Errr, ok?
Aug: Backer revolt in comments.
May 15: Generally low communication volume, last update concept art and basic combat details

And for Project Phoenix:
Mar 25: They have a programmer and he's been on the game for a month. Video of early pathing and combat AI.
Dec 10: Wow, surprise, another apology from the worst Kickstarter ever run. Still having a hard time hiring people, or making a game, aiming for 2018 release, not planning refunds though because they need the money. LOL!
Nov 10: We still haven't managed to hire a programmer.
Sep 2: We still haven't managed to hire a programmer. Lol!
Aug 19: Here's some videos from six months ago showing that stuff is early.
Mid-July: Sorry development is hard! We lost our programmer... then our other programmer... then we fired our PR guy *shrugs* well bye.
May 28: Sorry development is hard!

*shakes head*
Yup.
Looking back at project phoenix I should've seen the signs, but they caught me in my KS honeymoon.
You can always ask me for La-Mulana 2 updates if you need them btw.

Tellaerin

Updated today with the following news:

You really need to start a "Stump's Kickstart Watch" site where you track stuff like this. Not only is this stuff intereseting, but your writing style makes it entertaining to read, despite the fact that I haven't heard of half of these Kickstarter campaigns before now.

Jimrpg

Last night while gaming on my PC, the power in the house flickered, and the surge protector that my computer was plugged into caught fire, as did my PC's power supply which, unfortunately, is positioned at the bottom of the case.

After extinguishing the fire and unplugging everything I let it dry off overnight. Obviously it is toast. I hooked up the power supply from my son's PC this morning and still nothing - pretty sure the board is bad. I'm going to try putting my new R390X into my son's computer to see if it works, but I'm not holding my breath since it sat about 5 inches above the power supply and looked like it was getting licked by flames.

I've already contacted the surge protector company so hopefully I can get a lot of that replaced by their warranty? Either way, it sucks because I have all of next week off and don't have to go back to work until the 12th. Gonna be a long week with a PC.

OMG, sorry to hear that. Hope that never happens to me.

Can someone explain to me the Steins Gate series?

I started to look into it out of curiosity and see it's part of a wider series that is far larger than I expected.

Are these other games all connected to each other or is it more thematic (a la SMT/Persona), and are they coming to Steam as well?

I'm playing Steins;Gate right now and just finished one of the endings. I'm playing on Vita.

It's probably the best story I've ever played (read?) in a video game. It's a visual novel so there's no real game play, but you do get to make some choices on whether you call/answer the phone in some cases that determines achievements and endings. The story revolves around time travel and conspiracy theories but it's also quite deep and is not afraid to get complicated and into the actual science and relativity theories. The beauty is in the way it develops the science with its own setting and story. It is absolutely the antithesis of shallow Hollywood time travel stories.

I'd definitely recommend it if you are interested in Visual Novels and anyone that likes a good story and not too worried about gameplay. I'd also recommend watching a few episodes of the anime if you're not sure about putting down the money to get it. It's pretty good, but because it's almost half the length of the VN, it's less detailed.

Steins;Gate 0 is the follow up about to be released in September. There are a couple of other VN in the same 'series' Chaos;Gate, Root;Letter that have not got a translation yet but they are not story related.

Coreda

You really need to start a "Stump's Kickstart Watch" site where you track stuff like this. Not only is this stuff intereseting, but your writing style makes it entertaining to read, despite the fact that I haven't heard of half of these Kickstarter campaigns before now.

Didn't Stump make a thread about that? Maybe it was a long post I'm remembering.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The challenge with OG NieR is who you'd get to do the port. The original studio (unfortunately) no longer exists, which means there's likely to be some asset loss (not guaranteed), and typically even if you hire an outsourcing studio to do the port they have access to the original studio to work with them and figure things out.

I wouldn't think asset loss is likely to be a problem in this case as the studio was just the victim of consolidation rather than insolvency, plus I assume Squeenix pays more attention to backing up source data these days due to past faux pas (FFIX, KH1, and probably other cases). The proprietary(?) engine could definitely prove problematic, though -- for some reason I was under the impression that it was built using UE3.

Regardless, I hope Squeenix comments at some point and doesn't leave people to put 2+2 together as Microsoft did with Age of Empires/Rise of Rome.

JaseC

All I need on PC now is
Persona
and
Bloodborne

Then I won't even have the tiniest urge to get a Neo.

Fast forward a few years and you'll probably find that you can play the latter on PS Now. ;)

Last night while gaming on my PC, the power in the house flickered, and the surge protector that my computer was plugged into caught fire, as did my PC's power supply which, unfortunately, is positioned at the bottom of the case.

After extinguishing the fire and unplugging everything I let it dry off overnight. Obviously it is toast. I hooked up the power supply from my son's PC this morning and still nothing - pretty sure the board is bad. I'm going to try putting my new R390X into my son's computer to see if it works, but I'm not holding my breath since it sat about 5 inches above the power supply and looked like it was getting licked by flames.

I've already contacted the surge protector company so hopefully I can get a lot of that replaced by their warranty? Either way, it sucks because I have all of next week off and don't have to go back to work until the 12th. Gonna be a long week with a PC.

Ouch. Good thing that it didn't happen while you were away from home.
Hopefully the insurance covers it, and you can get up and running again quickly.

And this time you should buy a surge protector for your surge protector. And
put it in a bucket of water, just to be safe

Momentary

Banned
I don't see any of these happening. Especially the former. :")
The only thing left for me is DQXI.

It'll happen. It always happens.

Bayonetta, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza, Persona, and Bloodborne. Remember this post people.

What brand did you use? If you have a BELKIN surge protector they usually come with a $200,000 replacement warranty.

Momentary

Banned
Bloodborne is a first party exclusive tho, even if developed by FromSoft mostally.

Yeah. So was Helldivers. There is a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see a NEO version of Bloodborne to be released alongside a PC version. Sony know's there is extra money waiting for them on the PC side.

Kudo

Yeah. So was Helldivers. There is a chance. I wouldn't be surprised to see a NEO version of Bloodborne to be released alongside a PC version. Sony know's there is extra money waiting for them on the PC side.

More for them if they don't, they actually have to sell NEO to people that already own PS4. Unless while I haven't been paying attention Sony has somehow changed into very different company.
There's also Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian etc. just get cheap OG Ps4 to enjoy the games if you want to play them, I don't think I'll be "upgrading" from the OG to Neo unless Bloodborne 2 gets announced one day.

JaseC

I'm still waiting for that Mario clone kickstarter game starring a girl wearing a top hat.

A Hat in Time. I regret slacker-backing for beta access as the public build hasn't been updated in about 18 months and all of the other branches are password-protected.

dex3108

To be honest i would want RDR Remastered on PC more than any of the Sony exclusives. But again i have PS4 and i love RDR that much so i am probably biased :D Sony is already better towards PC platform this gen with 3rs party exclusives coming to PC and now Remote Play, PS Now and official support for DS4 on PC.

kurahador

Ucchedavāda;215809549 said:
A Hat in Time?

Yup.

A Hat in Time. I regret slacker-backing for beta access as the public build hasn't been updated in about 18 months and backers don't have access to any of the other branches.

What's their target release date again? I was under the impression that the game is progressing well.

JaseC

What's their target release date again? I was under the impression that the game is progressing well.

Oh, it's still being worked on, but beta backers are stuck with an old build because reasons. It's due some time next year (Q2 at the latest, I'd say).

If I'd known that "beta access" meant "access to a particular beta build and nothing else until release", then I would have held off.

Ludens

Banned
rNZRC4U.jpg

So, I'm stuck here. To jump using the ramp I need to push down the action button, but it seems nothing work. XBox One controller, any tips?

Werd

Finished Epistory with all collectibles & nests cleared, definitely made the Humble Monthly worth it. Nice art style, more interesting than expected dungeons and I have a soft spot for typing challenges. Are there any other good ones on Steam besides it and Typing of the Dead?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Didn't Stump make a thread about that? Maybe it was a long post I'm remembering.

I track everything on a Google Doc, which you can see here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/edit#gid=0
It updates every few weeks. It's a bit overwhelming to look at initially.

I believe when I first wrote the scraping code to do the first version of this, I posted my results here, but a Google doc makes it way easier to deal with.

Tellaerin

I think he made a big post about it, though I'd love to see a standalone site somewhere. I imagine he'd get regular traffic from more than just the usual NeoGAF crowd.

Maybe he could fund it through Kickstarter. >.>

It'll happen. It always happens.

Bayonetta, Virtua Fighter, Yakuza, Persona, and Bloodborne. Remember this post people.

I'm still holding out for Anarchy Reigns. :p

La-Mulana 2 seems to be progressing very slowly, but progressing nonetheless. The backers-only updates are frustrating for me tracking it, but at least they're updating. I would call this yellow, or average risk.

Spaceventure I think might get done. They've been out of money for years, and that's scary, and it's years over the deadline, and that's scary too, so it's definitely high risk. They update pretty frequently, they released a little spinoff game to make a bit of money, and it looks kinda like it's eventually coming together. Can't remember if I have this as yellow or orange but I think could justify either.

Unsung Story and Project Phoenix are both cataclysmically bad Kickstarters. A total embarrassment to everyone involved. Here are my update notes for Unsung Story:
Jun 28: Progress update: No progress to speak of.
Apr 9: Progress Update: No progress to speak of.
Feb 27: The good news is they've come clean about how much they've managed to do by spending all the money. The bad news is that they've done basically nothing so far.
Feb 6: Lost some staff members, nowhere near anything, have no idea what's going on
Oct 20: Some combat footage.
Sep 30: Did an AMA where they said nothing.
Sep 21: Development is hard, times are hard, also we're rolling out in phases and first is PvP. Errr, ok?
Aug: Backer revolt in comments.
May 15: Generally low communication volume, last update concept art and basic combat details

And for Project Phoenix:
Mar 25: They have a programmer and he's been on the game for a month. Video of early pathing and combat AI.
Dec 10: Wow, surprise, another apology from the worst Kickstarter ever run. Still having a hard time hiring people, or making a game, aiming for 2018 release, not planning refunds though because they need the money. LOL!
Nov 10: We still haven't managed to hire a programmer.
Sep 2: We still haven't managed to hire a programmer. Lol!
Aug 19: Here's some videos from six months ago showing that stuff is early.
Mid-July: Sorry development is hard! We lost our programmer... then our other programmer... then we fired our PR guy *shrugs* well bye.
May 28: Sorry development is hard!

*shakes head*

I backed La-Mulana 2. Do you need help ?

KR_remix

I track everything on a Google Doc, which you can see here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/edit#gid=0
It updates every few weeks. It's a bit overwhelming to look at initially.

I believe when I first wrote the scraping code to do the first version of this, I posted my results here, but a Google doc makes it way easier to deal with.

Just an fyi, Jagged Alliance: Flashback never really got finished. The devs just kind of released the game out of early access when it wasn't even done then went out of business. They got mad at anyone that questioned the state of the game and why it was released when they still had stuff they hadn't finished iirc.

-MD-

Jumping back into Witcher 3 ~50 hours in after not playing it for over a year wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just an fyi, Jagged Alliance: Flashback never really got finished. The devs just kind of released the game out of early access when it wasn't even done then went out of business. They got mad at anyone that questioned the state of the game and why it was released when they still had stuff they hadn't finished iirc.

Yeah, I generally don't get into hair-splitting on that kind of stuff. There are a few projects that did get finished but messed up one of the physical rewards, or cancelled last-gen ports, or other kinda shady stuff, or didn't finish some of the stretch goals, or otherwise did something kinda scammy. I occasionally leave notes (like The Fine Young Capitalists under IndieGoGo went from a very early early access version to final release days after saying they had indefinitely delayed the game and never followed up after release at all)--but mostly I just take for granted that if a game has a non-Early Access release then it's released. Too much stuff to follow up on and too many subjective judgments if not. Thanks for the info though, I'll probably add a note to it.

I backed La-Mulana 2. Do you need help ?

Yeah. Basically for La-Mulana 2 and Night in the Woods, those are both games that just do backers-only updates. If you can PM me screenshots of the last few updates, I'd appreciate that. I'm not trying to scam anyone, I know why devs do backers-only updates, I just want to do a quick top-line summary of the game's progress.

Disney should remake Magical Quest. Tighten up the controllers a bit (mostly for the climber power up)

I take it over Castle of Illusion tbh

Or just release the three Capcom SNES Mickey games on whatever Virtual Console. Magical Quest is the best of the three, but Great Circus Mystery and "Magical Quest 3" (which is SFC-exclusive, but got a GBA port in the west) are also good too!

How does it run? I seem to recall them kind of giving up on the PC version.

QLOC worked on the PC version after the initial bad launch (AFAIK) and fixed most of the issues it had...they've also worked on the PC version since then and will be bringing the XL version (Kombat Pack 2 and new balance patch/netcode) to the PC version in October

the patch will be free...Kombat Pack 2 will have to be bought (it'll have 4 new fighters and some of the DLC that wasn't included in Kombat Pack 1)

It's coming back. The beta for XL ran great for most people as far as I saw. Didn't play it myself.

QLOC worked on the PC version after the initial bad launch (AFAIK) and fixed most of the issues it had...they've also worked on the PC version since then and will be bringing the XL version (Kombat Pack 2 and new balance patch/netcode) to the PC version in October

the patch will be free...Kombat Pack 2 will have to be bought (it'll have 4 new fighters and some of the DLC that wasn't included in Kombat Pack 1)
Oh that's good to hear, actually might consider getting it.

Thanks.

voodooray

Drops cards

ModBot said:
Instructions for voodooray:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #4 -- MB-C03046359483F83B - Taken by Anteater
Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #5 -- MB-D03CE32F20BAC95C - Taken by Saty
Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #6 -- MB-77B364445367537A - Taken by Jalal
Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #1 -- MB-8A3BC89F036E8D12 - Taken by redlacs
Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #2 -- MB-6A8C168DB21A7B4A - Taken by Annubis
Yellow: The Yellow Artefact #3 -- MB-E863C37302FE88BA - Taken by dave is ok

Parsnip

Yeah. Basically for La-Mulana 2 and Night in the Woods, those are both games that just do backers-only updates. If you can PM me screenshots of the last few updates, I'd appreciate that. I'm not trying to scam anyone, I know why devs do backers-only updates, I just want to do a quick top-line summary of the game's progress.
I've been meaning to PM you the updates for La-Mulana 2 since the last time I did, but kind of forgot. :p
Maybe GhostTrick is a better information courier.

Like Johnny Mnemonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom