• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
because its so easy for Warhammer games to get lost in the shuffle nowadays, apparently there is a diablo-style one out on Early Access now? :eek:

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr

uu9pmDP.gif

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Father_Brain, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Father_Brain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Killing Floor 2 -- MB-ABF5E5A42D13A87F - Taken by fernandes. 34 entrants total.
Banner Saga 2 -- MB-5F4E9289115DB51D - Taken by Orgen. 53 entrants total.
Eterium -- MB-8D6C75F1C7FE5B9E - Taken by Eila. 10 entrants total.
HackyZack -- MB-C90149994E4717D1 - Taken by Madn. 11 entrants total.
Stories Untold -- MB-F8E5BDBF05D8A715 - Taken by someguyinahat. 41 entrants total.

t1504375858z1.png

Tonton

While the sales are pretty meh so far it's going to have long legs on Steam like all the other niche titles i'd still expect Celceta at some point it very well might be awhile though so maybe you should get it then get it on Steam during a sale? it's good but not like Seven good.
Idk, Little King Story and Xanadu Next didn't seem to have any legs

Trails keep bombing and I'm sure we'll keep seeing releases on PC. Keep hope high, Celceta will come.
Idk none of them bombed as hard as SEVEN seemly did
And since LKS, CS and SEVEN all bombed, they'll probably give up on porting games to PC themselves

Idk, Little King Story and Xanadu Next didn't seem to have any legs

And since LKS, CS and SEVEN all bombed, they'll probably give up on porting games to PC themselves

CS didn't really bombed. LKS did because it released in a sorry state and with no marketing around it. As for Seven, we will have to wait.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
maybe stop releasing ports of years old PSP games for exhuberant prices and they will sell more? Just a thought...

Mivey

They are already committed to porting CS 2, and since they have to translate CS 3 anyway, the porting costs are rather marginal. Also, for both CS1 and 2, the script is already in English. For a Trails game, that is by far the most time consuming thing. So the costs in getting it to Steam is far lower than for SC or 3rd. (And the Crossbell games, for that matter) They have ported pretty much all of Ys at this point, and aside from the Crossbell arc, also all of the Trails games, at some point. That's rather incredible, consider how incredibly niche Falcom games are.

Tonton

CS didn't really bombed. LKS did because it released in a sorry state and with no marketing around it. As for Seven, we will have to wait.

Yeah but even after they went back to fix it they didn't see any sales
And let's not pretend broken ports don't do well on Steam
I don't buy the marketing thing either since they have the same level of marketing for all their titles and nothing does as badly as LKS did

Concurrent user and Review numbers looks pretty bad right now for SEVEN

They are already committed to porting CS 2, and since they have to translate CS 3 anyway, the porting costs are rather marginal. Also, for both CS1 and 2, the script is already in English. For a Trails game, that is by far the most time consuming thing. So the costs in getting it to Steam is far lower than for SC or 3rd. (And the Crossbell games, for that matter) They have ported pretty much all of Ys at this point, and aside from the Crossbell arc, also all of the Trails games, at some point. That's rather incredible, consider how incredibly niche Falcom games are.

After Ys VIII I wouldn't be so sure that they are the ones doing CS3 the more I hope for it

The Cold Steel ports both have significant amount of voice acting added so they shouldn't be evaluated as simple ports either

Jawmuncher

I will say considering that keep porting to PC despite low numbers. They must have their budgeting on point to cover things. That or profits made on consoles cover Pc and the long term gains outweigh any sudden negatives

Rhaknar

also dont forget its online-only forever and devs getting pissed when anone asks for offline

I swear, in 2178, when wifi exists in the atmosphere and there is no way to NOT be online, people will still complain about always online.

Lain

maybe stop releasing ports of years old PSP games for exhuberant prices and they will sell more? Just a thought...

I'm of the opinion the price is high exactly because the expectation is that sales out of the gate won't be high. Recoup a bit with an higher price on the low sales you expect to get, as there is still time to make more with sales and bundles later on.
After all, the Falcom games XSEED released on PC that sold the most have either been in a bundle or discounted to 2,99€.

Rhaknar

I'm of the opinion the price is high exactly because the expectation is that sales out of the gate won't be high. Recoup a bit with an higher price on the low sales you expect to get, as there is still time to make more with sales and bundles later on.
After all, the Falcom games XSEED released on PC that sold the most have either been in a bundle or discounted to 2,99€.

yeah, me and nabs were talking about this recently, regarding the price of anime fighters ports on steam.

Yeah but even after they went back to fix it they didn't see any sales
And let's not pretend broken ports don't do well on Steam
I don't buy the marketing thing either since they have the same level of marketing for all their titles and nothing does as badly as LKS did

Concurrent user and Review numbers looks pretty bad right now for SEVEN

After Ys VIII I wouldn't be so sure that they are the ones doing CS3 the more I hope for it

The Cold Steel ports both have significant amount of voice acting added so they shouldn't be evaluated as simple ports either

You don't buy the marketing thing, yet it's true. It was fixed, months later and it's still buried.
You're right, broken ports can do well on Steam. The problem is, we're talking niche title here. Ultra niche on top of that.
Also, keep remembering that while XSeed is seing some bad sales, they're also seeing some good sales.

http://steamspy.com/dev/XSEED

Another point to make, when Trails SC release, FC was at 150k. Sales DOUBLED. Hence why it's profitable for XSeed to make these releases: Legs. Same for Ys VI which bombed at around 7 to 12k. It's now over 60k.
SC was at 20k and climbed close to 50k. That also means no need to port again.

Also, other games made a nice selling on Steam: Fate/Extella sold over 30k at full price. Both Senran Kagura games sold well. Akiba's Trip sold over 100k.

kagamin

With their recent sales and the amount of work needed to localize these titles at a consistently high quality, I'm doubting we'll see Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki anytime soon if at all lol. (which is sad since Zero is a really exceptional game and I just beat it recently)

The low sales XSeed has been getting really bother me, regardless of the motive.
I want these guys to do well, they deserve it so much and I want them to be the ones in charge of future entries of the franchises they currently localize.

Currently spending a few days at the beach which means no screens during the entire day and I can already tell my eyes and head are grateful.

prudislav

I swear, in 2178, when wifi exists in the atmosphere and there is no way to NOT be online, people will still complain about always online.

welp ... this was talked ad infinitum ... its not about people nt being online but about servers.
And this is basicaly SP game with optional Coop NOT MP only shooter ... but i guess their excuse is the usual "persistent universe" awesomesauce and them cheetarz

And with its current pricetag .... the Darkspre fate is unevitable sooner or later

Ascheroth

Ys Seven is a seven year old PSP game that looks like a PSP game and is sold for 25$. I'm not at all surprised that it didn't sell well so far, if I'm brutally honest.

And yeah, I agree that the prices have been getting higher because Xseed know as well that they won't sell much out of the gate.

The low sales XSeed has been getting really bother me, regardless of the motive.
I want these guys to do well, they deserve it so much and I want them to be the ones in charge of future entries of the franchises they currently localize.

Currently spending a few days at the beach which means no screens during the entire day and I can already tell my eyes and head are grateful.

Then again, people only see the bad sales.
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus broke over 100k.
Senran Kagura Estival Versus broke over 40k.
Trails FC sold 150k more units since SC sales.
SC broke over 40k.
Ys VI broke over 60k.
Fate Extella sold over 30k at full price.

In any case, they had both nice sales and nice legs on some titles. Not every title can be a success and XSeed is a niche publisher. I believe Steamspy is just showing the reality about how some niche IP sold. We never had sales numbers for Trails in the west or Ys.

Then again, people only see the bad sales.
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus broke over 100k.
Senran Kagura Estival Versus broke over 40k.
Trails FC sold 150k more units since SC sales.
SC broke over 40k.
Ys VI broke over 60k.
Fate Extella sold over 30k at full price.

In any case, they had both nice sales and nice legs on some titles. Not every title can be a success and XSeed is a niche publisher. I believe Steamspy is just showing the reality about how some niche IP sold. We never had sales numbers for Trails in the west or Ys.

That's true.
I guess that as long as those blatant fan service games pay the bills it's not so bad, though it's downright criminal how badly some of these games are performing and it still makes me fear that they might drop some of these franchises regardless.

Parsnip

That actually helps sales for certain games a lot.

Check out stuff like Senran Kagura or some of the Neptunia games that offer Chinese and where most of the owners are from China.

This is also something that Valve is highlighting in the presentation Alden Kroll has been doing. Localizing to East Asian countries instead of the more traditional EFIGS is better bang for the buck.

That's true.
I guess that as long as those blatant fan service games pay the bills it's not so bad, though it's downright criminal how badly some of these games are performing and it still makes me fear that they might drop some of these franchises regardless.

I mean, worst selling Ys beside Ys Seven is Ys VI... at 60k. And started at 7 to 12k.
Worst selling Trails is 3rd chapter.. at 15k. I doubt this is enough to make them drop.

Ted

I won't have a PC that can run this well for a bit (laugh away :) ) and given it is a multi-player game I reckon a key is better placed in the hands of someone who might actually play it rather gathering dust in my library!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ted, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Verdun -- MB-EE39384E53E9F5ED - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 10 entrants total.

t1504387378z1.png

Anteater

japanese publishers just love region locking the shit out of asian region and no one knows why, also no one cares about asking (lol gaming journalism).

bobnowhere was kind enough to hand me a Steam key for a hidden-object game, and who am I to not play it? So here we go with your impressions for Dreamscapes: Nightmare's Heir.

The story: You play a nameless character of indeterminate gender and profession. The only thing that's known about you is that you're friends with Laura, the woman with a lisp that you saved in the first game (shit, spoilers, sorry.) One thing I didn't remember from the first game: Laura apparently has mystical powers, such as the ability to stop time, only she can't use it to help herself. Whether this is the result of the experiments in the first game, I'm not sure, let's say probably. Anyway, Laura explains to us that the Sandman from the first game is still haunting her dreams and is coming after her now-husband Tim. The game DOES give Tim and Laura last names but I forget what they are, since it was one screen in a hospital chart. Tim is snatched away by the Sandman, and the Sandman's plan is to mentally manipulate Tim through dreams, exploiting his fears, to make Tim the Sandman's slave and heir, to turn him against his wife. You see a scene where Laura wakes up and there's a Tim-shaped dent in the bed. That's some SERIOUS memory foam. Anyway, Tim sleepwalks off a cliff and ends up comatose in the hospital (but Laura knows this is actually the Sandman's dream...trap...thing and not a real coma.)

So you're sent into Tim's dream with his favourite belonging to serve as an anchor to reality and wake him up - okay, that makes sense, I've seen similar ideas in stories. Here's his favourite belonging: an alarm clock. (...) Riiiight. Quick, think of what your favourite belonging is, if you have one. Your wedding ring? Your favourite book? Some rare collectible? Your 10,000-game Steam account? What does it say about a guy whose favourite belonging is an alarm clock? Especially since going into his dream you see things from his past and childhood. His room contains a chemistry set and an electric guitar - hello? If, as the game explained, he's into hard rock, why would his first guitar not be his prized possession? (Bonus points though, in that they give his character a little depth. It's pointed out he's a physicist, but they gave him other hobbies AND put a Canadian flag in his room. Way more than I ever learned about Laura.)

Okay, so it's a bit janky in the telling, but you have a villain with some motivation (getting old, wants the evil to continue ... okay, not sure why he still cares, but I guess he REALLY wants revenge,) and a pretty evil plan to use a woman's husband against her. I guess his one flaw would be not trying to go after the person who saved Laura first so he'd be able to go after Tim unimpeded. Still, the skeleton of a decent story is there, and when it comes to hidden objects, that's about all you can ask for. The game's ending is abrupt and you're thinking "wait, did I succeed or not?" Then the bonus chapter starts with "oh, you only partially succeeded." Tim wakes up only for the Sandman to speak through him, and then back to sleep he goes. Laura tells you to go back into the dream, and "if you can't save Tim, kill him yourself." Are you fucking insane, lady?! Tim is an innocent victim, not to mention your husband, and you casually ask me to kill him if I fail? I am SO telling Tim when he wakes up...you know, if he does. (Spoilers: he does. Laura says "Tim, darling, you're alive!" even though he was never actually dead. Maybe she said that to ease her own conscience from ordering his death.)

The audio and dialogue: Just as janky as the first one. You keep thinking "who talks like this?" The voices aren't much better. Laura has a lisp, the Sandman went to the Shatner school...of unnecessary pauses...in his speech. Tim doesn't sound convincing whenever he's in danger. "Help. I'm drowning." And childhood Tim doesn't stop to take a breath, so everything he says sounds like a run-on sentence.

The graphics: Some interesting levels here. There's a black-and-white TV level, a level based on "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" - and it does make reference to "that movie" without actually naming it - and two, count 'em, two levels where you save Tim from drowning. Once on the ocean floor and once in a farmhouse...pond? swamp? It should be noted that Laura's dreams/nightmares were significantly darker and weirder. Tim has several mundane dreams and fears: drowning, dogs, fire, that sort of thing. Could speak to his more logical personality compared to Laura's more creative side? At any rate, the characters aren't very uncanny valley in this, but they are still very much "obvious hidden-object characters." One day they'll get past this! One day!

There's also some crap lousy Gizmo-like creatures that seem to help you half the time, and the other half they take items or create obstacles. With helpers like that, who needs antagonists?

The gameplay and puzzles: Pretty easy stuff, but more challenging than the first one if I recall. The worst of it was the bad hitboxes. More than once I knew what to do, but since I didn't click in just the right spot it didn't register. I had to use the hint button to see where exactly I had to use the item. Also I did encounter a bug that required me to restart the game: the inventory items at one point couldn't be picked up and moved out of the inventory bar to be used. Luckily, restarting fixed it, or else this review would be very different.

The game has no Steam achievements, and this is the first time I say Thank God, because there are broken in-game achievements. You have to find missables on almost every screen. There are in-game achievements for "find 25," "find 50" and "find all." I have the "find 50" one and that's it. Somehow, in some way, I found 50 without finding 25. Also, there are no guides for the game as to where all the missables are. I think I missed 3 total, but I didn't let it worry me too much because it wouldn't be a Steam achievement anyway.

The length: 3.1 hours by my Steam profile (2.7 hours for the main game, less than half an hour for the bonus chapter.) Given the way it's split up into levels, it feels way shorter, and the bonus chapter is a few minutes of tacked-on nonsense that should have been in the main game. These "premium editions" and "collector's editions" have the bonus chapters that the original versions didn't. If I owned the regular version, I'm not sure which would make me madder: that the regular version's ending is ambiguous and abrupt, or that getting the full version only adds like 25 minutes. Thank God the only versions on Steam are the full ones so you never have to be disappointed that way.

The verdict: Better than the first one. Not by a whole lot, but better. It did a good job of convincing me that Laura is a psychopath: she has superpowers that she can ONLY use to save others, but rather than use them, she flees to a remote area to protect Tim, and then asks me to kill him if I can't save him. The game isn't horrible, but there are better ones out there. It's...marginally recommended.

Grief.exe

It's temporary. He should be back soon.

Good.

This is irrespective to his temporary ban, which may have been justified. This forum tends to chase away knowledgeable people in the industry due to the perpetuated culture on gaming side. There is just too much noise, crowding out knowledgeable posts.

Probably a result of the mainstream expansion of the site and there's not much to be done, but it's a real shame.

So is PUBG fastest selling exclusive this year?

It's the best selling game this year period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom