• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game is free at Indie Gala, didn't know I had it in my account already. Here's a key for someone who doesn't have an IG account.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Shalashaska:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shalashaska, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Alpha Runner -- MB-ADB03350CED5F17D - Taken by Demon Lizardman

Vibranium

Banned
The low sales XSeed has been getting really bother me, regardless of the motive.
I want these guys to do well, they deserve it so much and I want them to be the ones in charge of future entries of the franchises they currently localize.

Well, If XSEED ported Story of Seasons 1 and 2 to PC they could tap into that Stardew Valley audience on Steam. I really want those games but they seemed confined to handhelds like Ace Attorney. :(

Ah well, it's not like I have access to my PC right now lol.

Tonton

I'm of the opinion the price is high exactly because the expectation is that sales out of the gate won't be high. Recoup a bit with an higher price on the low sales you expect to get, as there is still time to make more with sales and bundles later on.
After all, the Falcom games XSEED released on PC that sold the most have either been in a bundle or discounted to 2,99€.
The lowest FC has been is $10 and it's their best selling game

You don't buy the marketing thing, yet it's true. It was fixed, months later and it's still buried.
You're right, broken ports can do well on Steam. The problem is, we're talking niche title here. Ultra niche on top of that.
Also, keep remembering that while XSeed is seing some bad sales, they're also seeing some good sales.

http://steamspy.com/dev/XSEED

Another point to make, when Trails SC release, FC was at 150k. Sales DOUBLED. Hence why it's profitable for XSeed to make these releases: Legs. Same for Ys VI which bombed at around 7 to 12k. It's now over 60k.
SC was at 20k and climbed close to 50k. That also means no need to port again.

Also, other games made a nice selling on Steam: Fate/Extella sold over 30k at full price. Both Senran Kagura games sold well. Akiba's Trip sold over 100k.
I'm not arguing against the other successful games, Senran Kagura (except Bon Appetit) and Fate did relatively well and Marvelous will continue porting them, I'm talking about the ones done by XSEED: LKS, Ys7 and CS1/2 those aren't seeing the same kind of success and I could see XSEED giving up on this initiative
After Zwei bombs later shouldn't we also expect to give up on these other Falcom games on Steam?

Well, If XSEED ported Story of Seasons 1 and 2 to PC they could tap into that Stardew Valley audience on Steam. I really want those games but they seemed confined to handhelds like Ace Attorney. :(
I honestly think these games would remain niche on PC, the Stardew Valley audience is not really after them
Regardless I think Marvelous will do it with a future entry eventually

I'm not arguing against the other successful games, Senran Kagura (except Bon Appetit) and Fate did relatively well and Marvelous will continue porting them, I'm talking about the ones done by XSEED: LKS, Ys7 and CS1/2 those aren't seeing the same kind of success and I could see XSEED giving up on this initiative
After Zwei bombs later shouldn't we also expect to give up on these other Falcom games on Steam?

I mean from what I've seen, they're pretty happy to port over Falcom titles to Steam despite how they do and Falcom themselves want to see this continue so as long as the support is there I doubt they'll stop.

Mivey

Why assume that XSEED is only interested in what these games are a selling in a week or two? They are not a AAA publisher, who is operating on a "fire and forget" logic. All these games continue to sell, slowly but continuously. That's enough money at some point or later to warrant future ports. ESPECIALLY since porting already translated games (like CS1,2, Ys Seven and so many others) is really, really cheap. I want to see these games selling over 100K in their launch months as well, but it is quite foolish to assume that XSEED is having such stupid expectations. They are not Square Enix.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Ted, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ted, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Verdun -- MB-EE39384E53E9F5ED - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 10 entrants total.

t1504387378z1.png

dex3108

Arkane games are only ones where i can go around the map over and over again and not get bored at all. They really are masters of the level design and i am enjoying in every minute of Prey that i am playing. And i have Dishonored Death of the Outsider pre-ordered.

Why should we ?
Also, putting CS1 and LKS/Ys7 in the same basket is kinda preposterous. I doubt XSeed has that high expectations for Zwei. As I said, it's a niche publisher, bringing a niche game. Not everything they're bringing is meant to be a success. So why would they give up ? As I said, they have far more successes than failure. Basically when thinking about PC sales think of the following elements:
1) Digital only distribution: No headache for the publisher to think about stock/re-stock and distribution
2) Potential for high sales at launch: Can bring decent to high revenue on the sole launch of the game.
3) Potential legs and long life for the product: Can bring even more revenue on the long term + no need to port your game again. Your product stays on the market for the next decade.

Tonton

I mean from what I've seen, they're pretty happy to port over Falcom titles to Steam despite how they do and Falcom themselves want to see this continue so as long as the support is there I doubt they'll stop.
The first Ys games and FC did well, those are the ones making them want to try these ports, not to mention they are fans of these games themselves, but if they continue to do worse and worse there's a point where they can't justify continuing with them

Why assume that XSEED is only interested in what these games are a selling in a week or two? They are not a AAA publisher, who is operating on a "fire and forget" logic. All these games continue to sell, slowly but continuously. That's enough money at some point or later to warrant future ports. ESPECIALLY since porting already translated games (like CS1,2, Ys Seven and so many others) is really, really cheap. I want to see these games selling over 100K in their launch months as well, but it is quite foolish to assume that XSEED is having such stupid expectations. They are not Square Enix.
I'm well aware that legs are important and I'm not expecting Cold Steel or Ys SEVEN on their first weeks to match FC or Origin as they currently are, but not even breaking 10 or 20k is rather pitiful (worse on CD's case when you consider CS2 should see a significant drop from it)

And other titles like LKS and Xanadu Next haven't seen significant legs
FC has been bundled.
It was in a Monthly that doesn't make up a large part of its sales
At launch FC was said to be XSEED's fastest selling PC title and probably still is their most successful one on the plataform

ezodagrom

XSEED wise, Steamspy doesn't show us the whole picture, there's also GOG, which we don't have numbers for.
I think I recall someone from XSEED (not sure who it was atm) mentioning that their sales on GOG are better than people would expect.

Ascheroth

XSEED wise, Steamspy doesn't show us the whole picture, there's also GOG, which we don't have numbers for.
I think I recall someone from XEED (not sure who it was atm) mentioning that their sales on GOG are better than people would expect.
And Humblestore DRM free copies which aren't GoG.

It was Sara who said that their non-Steam sales are much better than one would think.

Mivey

The first Ys games and FC did well, those are the ones making them want to try these ports, not to mention they are fans of these games themselves, but if they continue to do worse and worse there's a point where they can't justify continuing with them
What's your point? I do not agree with you that these games are selling worse, we do not have enough data yet to support any extreme conclusions. Yeah, sure, they might end it, if you want to be pessimistic, don't let me stop you, but this isn't a useful discussion if you keep saying the same things, over and over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
from Justin Wong's twitter, apparently these games are at Pax at the Playstation booth?

ive never heard of Omen of Sorrow, nor of them porting SamSho 5

edit: Omen is apparently made by the Rock of Ages guys?

Jawmuncher

from Justin Wong's twitter, apparently these games are at Pax at the Playstation booth?

ive never heard of Omen of Sorrow, nor of them porting SamSho 5

edit: Omen is apparently made by the Rock of Ages guys?

Wait a minute. Omen of Sorrow has GGPO. I thought only 2D games could support that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nah, any fighter can. I believe Killer Instinct and Injustice 2 use a form of it.

no they dont, they have their own rollback systems

Keits‏ @TheKeits Jul 21
More
It does not. KI uses an in-house rollback solution.

Keits‏
@TheKeits
Replying to @BananaKen
the talk mentions NRS and KI use in house rollback solutions

apparently GGPO is just bloody expensive to implement on 3d engines.

Not sure if anyone cares about this or if people already know, but the GameTrust indie PC collector’s edition steelbooks are on clearance at GameStop for $5 each right now. They have Nuclear Throne, Rogue Legacy, Punch Club, Jotun, Stories, Chariot, Axiom Verge, and I think a few others. Includes Steam game code, steel book, art + instruction book, install disc, and soundtrack disc.

Rhaknar

Not sure if anyone cares about this or if people already know, but the GameTrust indie PC collector’s edition steelbooks are on clearance at GameStop for $5 each right now. They have Nuclear Throne, Rogue Legacy, Punch Club, Jotun, Stories, Chariot, Axiom Verge, and I think a few others. Includes Steam game code, steel book, art + instruction book, install disc, and soundtrack disc.

that is a hell of a deal

Axiom Verge is tempting, but the shipping price is greater than the actual steelbook, and the nearest store that has it in stock is the better part of an hour away.

Madventure

Axiom Verge is tempting, but the shipping price is greater than the actual steelbook, and the nearest store that has it in stock is the better part of an hour away.

I bought something off their website yesterday and FREESHIPPING worked for something and it wasn't supposed to work as it's expired, so yeah try it out maybe?

Can't hurt

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Not sure if anyone cares about this or if people already know, but the GameTrust indie PC collector's edition steelbooks are on clearance at GameStop for $5 each right now. They have Nuclear Throne, Rogue Legacy, Punch Club, Jotun, Stories, Chariot, Axiom Verge, and I think a few others. Includes Steam game code, steel book, art + instruction book, install disc, and soundtrack disc.

Cool. Grabbed Axiom Verge + two old PS3 games for less than $10 shipped. FREESHIPPING (two day) code worked for me.

Oh God, Stories Untold is a horror game. I got through the first one and it's cleverly crafted (albeit super short,) and even though the scares were kinda mild, I can only imagine it gets progressively worse. There's a text interface, but calling it a "text adventure" doesn't quite describe it.

I'll try to power through it but I might have to resort to a guide just so I don't totally lose my shit. It's weird: I'm fine with horror books, I'm okay with horror movies even though they're not my favourite genre, but horror games really get to me.

illusionary

If only these weren't US-only!

Rhaknar

Oh God, Stories Untold is a horror game. I got through the first one and it's cleverly crafted (albeit super short,) and even though the scares were kinda mild, I can only imagine it gets progressively worse. There's a text interface, but calling it a "text adventure" doesn't quite describe it.

I'll try to power through it but I might have to resort to a guide just so I don't totally lose my shit. It's weird: I'm fine with horror books, I'm okay with horror movies even though they're not my favourite genre, but horror games really get to me.

The first one is the scariest actually. The game has a bit of a "starting the show with the showstopper" syndrome unfortunately.

Still worth playing tho.

Mikurden

It's weird: I'm fine with horror books, I'm okay with horror movies even though they're not my favourite genre, but horror games really get to me.

I don't think that's weird at all -- I'd say that games have the potential to excel at horror more than any other medium because it's in your hands whether or not you survive and the main character can die at any time. I find that even the difference between watching someone play a scary game and playing it myself is enormous. I get a sense of relief just from relinquishing control -- even if no one else takes over and my character is a sitting duck, it's no longer happening to me.

Yo thank you for posting this, I've had my eye on them forever, ordered all 10, gonna be a nice addition to my Steelbook collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom