• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

I finished up Hellblade. I definitely felt like as a piece of art and technology, it's a great thing.

As a game? Ehhhhh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I finished up Hellblade. I definitely felt like as a piece of art and technology, it's a great thing.

As a game? Ehhhhh

I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall, but I do agree that, mechanically, it's fairly middling. Melina Juergens' performance is really quite special, though, and I sincerely hope The Lost Legacy doesn't sweep the voice acting categories come awards season.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall, but I do agree that, mechanically, it's fairly middling. Melina Juergens' performance is really quite special, though, and I sincerely hope The Lost Legacy doesn't sweep the voice acting categories come awards season.

Hellblade has stealth?

Tizoc

from Justin Wong's twitter, apparently these games are at Pax at the Playstation booth?

ive never heard of Omen of Sorrow, nor of them porting SamSho 5

edit: Omen is apparently made by the Rock of Ages guys?
There was a thread about samsho 5 special releasing on ps4
It is available in humble otherwise iirc

Amzin

Wow. The Gas Town race in Mad Max might be my least favorite experience in an otherwise decent game in my memory. It has so many things wrong with it, it's unreal. An hour of fighting the RNG and I am just giving up. I might just shelve the game entirely because you have to do it to progress.

Monooboe

Alright I have to admit, I'm little bitter that I missed Slime Rancher in a monthly, seems pretty nice. And considering that it just left EA I guess it won't be a bundle in awhile.

Any of you played Torment? I have so hard time getting a grasp on the world, everything is so strange that I space out whenever someone tried to explain anything.XD

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Wow. The Gas Town race in Mad Max might be my least favorite experience in an otherwise decent game in my memory. It has so many things wrong with it, it's unreal. An hour of fighting the RNG and I am just giving up. I might just shelve the game entirely because you have to do it to progress.

Ohh yeah, I remember that. It did suck. You have to be real aggressive, but you also can't hit any walls. I think the worst part was that once you're behind it's basically impossible to catch up and you have to die to restart? Mad Max is a weird game. Some really cool stuff in there, with the world and level design, but it also feels like it was either rushed or focused tested down to a nub at some point. I think the story is it was a Steam Punk open world game at some point before becoming a licensed Mad Max game.

Good news is, you're real near the end of the story missions at that point.

Monooboe

I really hope they do make a Mad Max 2, polish everything great from the first one and take away the bad. I loved Mad Max but there were points where I was real close to breaking my controller haha, but I don't generally handle stressful racing that well.XD

Grug

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Killing Floor 2 -- MB-021734926CC142D5 - Taken by Deques. 15 entrants total.

t1504432071z1.png

FoneBone

I probably only made it past that because I'd read about that race and its massive difficulty spike somewhere or other, and looked at a guide. IIRC, you need to max out your speed and your thunderpoons, and you're SOL if you don't do a lot of damage early in the race.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The funny thing is that apparently the original title is "Cuphead is hard" or something to that effect, i.e. "the dark souls of platforming"

def sim

I guess, to be fair, VentureBeat isn't really a game focused site?

Also, his response in the comment section:

Dean said:
I've watched the comments on this thread just to see how mean they would be. I think it's useful to show my gameplay experience. I did not intentionally play poorly to "troll" anyone. But it serves as an interesting social experiment. I walk into a game cold, and this is the play that results. The video shows it's a notch more difficult than your typical Mario game. In fact, if you are expecting Mario, as the story says, then you are thrown off. And it shows that the developers are going to leave a lot of people who are worse than me behind. Maybe they're fine with that. Maybe they want to target gamers with a love for difficult games. That's fine. But I think they should signal that. How many games actually come with a tutorial these days? They're not popular. But if it's necessary, that is a signal this is going to require some skill. As for other comments on this thread, I wonder why they are hostile to someone who is viewing the game as a beginner? Are we that intolerant of people who are not "gamers"? Should I have played the scene over and over again until I was good at it, and then turned the recording on, like so many of those perfect video walkthroughs you see? I believe that games can be made accessible and inviting to people who are not hardcore fans, and these people can be accommodated inside the same game that is appealing to hardcore fans, through difficulty levels. So when people tell me that I shouldn't be playing this game because, on my first play, I was pretty lousy -- that's an attitude that argues that games should be shut off in their own little corner, only played publicly by the masters and the experts. I disagree with that view entirely, and I believe it leads to elitist attitudes that allow gamers to look down on other people, and that only leads to a more fragmented world of haters.

Boss Doggie

It's less about that though, as much as caustic the comments section are, they are right in that this is more a kin to a kid picking up a ball, dropping it accidentally, but not figuring out why it dropped, only with an adult context.

Also that post seems like damage control than anything else. I've seen people who aren't gamers catching concepts easily.

Grug

He's not totally wrong. It's frustrating to watch but mocking him in the comments is cruel.

Bunch of sniggering kappa Twitch kiddos no doubt.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's true that you can't expect everyone to know what an air dash is or whatever so the conclusion is fair, cuphead is probably not targeting the game at EVERYONE, and that's fine

Wok

As for other comments on this thread, I wonder why they are hostile to someone who is viewing the game as a beginner? Are we that intolerant of people who are not "gamers"? Should I have played the scene over and over again until I was good at it, and then turned the recording on, like so many of those perfect video walkthroughs you see? I believe that games can be made accessible and inviting to people who are not hardcore fans, and these people can be accommodated inside the same game that is appealing to hardcore fans, through difficulty levels. So when people tell me that I shouldn't be playing this game because, on my first play, I was pretty lousy -- that's an attitude that argues that games should be shut off in their own little corner, only played publicly by the masters and the experts. I disagree with that view entirely, and I believe it leads to elitist attitudes that allow gamers to look down on other people, and that only leads to a more fragmented world of haters.

This escalated quickly. We are back to the "gamers are nazis" narrative. This is one fast Godwin point.

Anyway, he is missing the reasons why people gets mad at him for being unable to play the game:
  • many people are looking forward to play this game,
  • the game has not been released, and this video is one the few videos of gameplay, so it is sad to have to sit through an unedited play of a very bad player,
  • Why is the game being tested, first-hand, by a bad player?
  • Why is the video not edited?
  • Just let any child in the surrounding of the player play the game and shoot that video instead. I'm sure it will be tons more entertaining. Children learn fast.

Boss Doggie

It's not even about "gamers" honestly. The caustic comments are less about gaming elitism and more of problem solving capacity.

This escalated quickly. We are back to the "gamers are nazis" narrative. This is one fast Godwin point.

Yeah, talk about digging a hole.

def sim

It's less about that though, as much as caustic the comments section are, they are right in that this is more a kin to a kid picking up a ball, dropping it accidentally, but not figuring out why it dropped, only with an adult context.

Also that post seems like damage control than anything else. I've seen people who aren't gamers catching concepts easily.

Well, yes, he's very bad at video games in a profound way. It's fine as long as he puts out videos like this to give context to his criticisms. People in the know or play games reasonably well wouldn't look for his input.

Rizzi

For some reason I cannot get Pillars of Eternity to work for more than five minutes at a time without it crashing on my PC.
So I bought it on PS4. Damn it.

Boss Doggie

Well, yes, he's very bad at video games in a profound way. It's fine as long as he puts out videos like this to give context to his criticisms. People in the know or play games reasonably well wouldn't look for his input.

It does make me wonder why this was published though, what was the target audience?

Teeth

FXHTHKR.jpg

This is the only part that honestly bothered me. I specifically had this implemented so that the player couldn't get past this part until they did an actual air dash. That way we could guarantee that the player had done it at least once and therefore would be familiar with it.

It's printed on the screen "Y - DASH -> Quick evade on ground or air" with an arrow pointing you where to go and he kept jumping over and over and over.

You can tell he was hammering the jump button (A) in the air too, because you can see the parry animation (pink spiral), which is activated by hitting the jump button while in the air.

What more can we do?

dex3108

FXHTHKR.jpg

This is the only part that honestly bothered me. I specifically had this implemented so that the player couldn't get past this part until they did an actual air dash. That way we could guarantee that the player had done it at least once and therefore would be familiar with it.

It's printed on the screen "Y - DASH -> Quick evade on ground or air" with an arrow pointing you where to go and he kept jumping over and over and over.

You can tell he was hammering the jump button (A) in the air too, because you can see the parry animation (pink spiral), which is activated by hitting the jump button while in the air.

What more can we do?

Add one button for everything mode and auto-run :D

What more can we do?
I watched the video hoping that reactions were overblown but after a minute I had to tap out. The constant walking back and forth, staring at the box, then going back to the large pillar and trying to will into existence a higher jump, then crouching, then walking back to the box, then walking back to the pillar. It's actually maddening. Once he had the epiphany of jumping off the smaller pillar first it didn't take long for things to get into motion, but there's just no help for that other than expecting basic problem solving in the player.

gelf

I gave up watching right away because of that air dash part. Complain about elitist gamers all you want but that's just showing you cant even follow instructions. There's no easy difficulty mode that's going to help these people short of getting an AI to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom