• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I've just installed and started up Deadly Premonition on Steam and I can definitely see it's an old game. I'm currently watching the intro cutscene.

Do I need to install any mods or fixes? I seem to remember people talking about it running badly on PC and needing to install stuff?

JarrodL

FXHTHKR.jpg

This is the only part that honestly bothered me. I specifically had this implemented so that the player couldn't get past this part until they did an actual air dash. That way we could guarantee that the player had done it at least once and therefore would be familiar with it.

It's printed on the screen "Y - DASH -> Quick evade on ground or air" with an arrow pointing you where to go and he kept jumping over and over and over.

You can tell he was hammering the jump button (A) in the air too, because you can see the parry animation (pink spiral), which is activated by hitting the jump button while in the air.

What more can we do?
I think he was trying to dash, just not in the right spot (does it show the dash animation if you do it right next to an obstacle?). So add a big red '+' symbol in the air between JUMP and DASH so it's impossible to miss that you need to dash right after jumping.

Wok

Simply moving the 'Jump' tip over the box would have made a difference for such players, probably. You can see he jumped exactly where it says 'Jump' but failed to understand the need to jump from the box to the next column like any reasonable person :p Here are some re-arranged layouts from least signpost-y to spelling it out:

cuphead-movestutorialu1s90.jpg

I like the second one. Others make it look like a double jump is required.

Coreda

I think he was trying to dash, just not in the right spot (does it show the dash animation if you do it right next to an obstacle?). So add a big red '+' symbol in the air between JUMP and DASH so it's impossible to miss that you need to dash right after jumping.

He simply didn't realize you're meant to jump from the box, as he'd already tried a jump+dash twice but from the ground. He eventually got it so it hardly matters. The notable part is he's covered games for almost 20 years yet was oblivious to simple platformer mechanics or observing the need to gain more height.

I still wonder when the Army Men games are gonna pop up on Steam, it's been like more than a year since they hit GOG.

That reminds me, I hope Homeworld Cataclysm makes it's way over soon too. That's been out for a while on gog. Alternatively, it would be nice if gog implemented regional pricing. You'd think a pretty consumer friendly store like them would consider it a priority, especially if they pay attention to the results of Steam's regional pricing in Asian countries.

Looking at it without context, I can understand how someone not as proficient as us in video games can stumble on that obstacle.

In all honesty, the game's at fault here not the player. It should either present much easier to perform actions before this dash sequence or the text should be much more clear.

The basic level of problem solving asked of the player here is to understand that the height of your jump is fixed and if you can't jump over the cylinder from the ground, you have to start from a higher point (on top of the cube). It's not necessary to get it on the first attempt and even pulling off the mechanical combo could be tricky for new players, but it took this guy way too long to understand what needed to be done. That's not a good look for someone in this business.

Someone made a suggestion that the devs can implement a ghost that goes before you so that you can see what it does and follow it. That's a decent idea. But yeah, anyone getting bodied in the tutorial is going to have a real tough time with the game itself.

Why not, talking about tutorials is one of my favorite things in gaming. At least it much more entertaining than another complain about price differences in RU and CIS regions.

By the way, is there any up to date list with all games that supports nvidia's ansel? It looks like nvidia stopped updating ansel section on their site long time ago, it was surprise for me that Tekken 7 and Agntes of Mayhem actually do support Ansel

Javier23

Banned
Simply moving the 'Jump' tip over the box would have made a difference for such players, probably. You can see he jumped exactly where it says 'Jump' but failed to understand the need to jump from the box to the next column like any reasonable person :p Here are some re-arranged layouts from least signpost-y to spelling it out:

cuphead-movestutorialu1s90.jpg
The game fails you to instruct then on how you are supposed to get on top of the smaller box so you can jump from there and then dash over the bigger one.

Nah, like I said, instructions are clear enough as they are.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So, looking into the original article by Dean Takahashi on Venture Beat, I was flabbergasted to find this gem:

https://venturebeat.com/2017/08/24/c...-cartoon-game/

This is in VENTURE BEAT.

We've come across a lot of lol-journalism that we've have to correct over the last couple of years, but I'm going to leave this one. It's too damn good.

And you're all welcome for Super Meat Boy.

Ahahahah

this is bizzare and cringeworthy video for a game journalist
... but i guess from from platformers he only ever played Mario and have no clue what run and gun genre is

I honestly feel like it's an excuse, but at the same time he could be saying true too

Grief.exe

I've just installed and started up Deadly Premonition on Steam and I can definitely see it's an old game. I'm currently watching the intro cutscene.

Do I need to install any mods or fixes? I seem to remember people talking about it running badly on PC and needing to install stuff?

I believe Durante has a fix for the game that needs to be installed, along with some other tweaks. Check PC gaming wiki, the game is kind of a mess.

I ran into the too many activations limit with the bundlestars bundles!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can -- MB-507BC44C9863C96D - Taken by ussjtrunks
Extreme Forklifting 2 -- MB-C515867044076880 - Taken by alr1ght
Glowfish -- MB-A30941F518F856A6 - Taken by Demon Lizardman
Little Farm -- MB-82871E2BAB535114 - Taken by texhnolyze
Luxor 3 -- MB-EBCFB42DE5DAFF55 - Taken by user237
Mayhem Triple -- MB-4C62FC9DE903FB6C - Taken by OmarYusaf
Midnight Mysteries -- MB-7129331022F6E477 - Taken by fuzzy123
Midnight Mysteries 4: Haunted Houdini -- MB-51C8ADD94F003A7A - Taken by nightstorm
Pickers -- MB-7C6DDC635A47E13C
Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates -- MB-5F4656970A1C572A - Taken by Abomination
Zombie Bowl-o-Rama -- MB-843E888CC8FDE222 - Taken by MaxiLive
simian.interface Plus Plus -- MB-178E2C003037EA85 - Taken by Jalal

me0wish

Use DPFix, but expect the game to keep crashing every now and then so keep saving. I have a friend that got to a point where he couldn't progress any further from how much it crashed, but it didn't stop him from thinking that it is fantastic.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Famously, Dean Takahashi did a review of Mass Effect where he complained it was hard and boring and later realized that he had not ever bothered to assign the points he earned for leveling up his characters. I think probably there is a question of who the audience is for his reviews, but I don't think it's so bad for someone less familiar with the conventions of the genre to try to surface potential UX pain points.

Tizoc

Ahahahah

I honestly feel like it's an excuse, but at the same time he could be saying true too

Mario games also have the whole 'Jump from a platform to reach a higher platform', so even if he played Mario games he'd know what to do in this case-
Start off by using the platform behind him and try to reach the 2nd platform. Not enough reach? Use dash while in the air.

Hell various games would have this, it isn't exclusive to 2D platformers or action games.

Rizzi

Pillars of Eternity kind of runs.. not great on PS4. But at least it runs which is more than I can say about the PC version for me. Plus the controller support is kind of good.
I really hate the Unity engine.

KainXVIII

Pillars of Eternity kind of runs.. not great on PS4. But at least it runs which is more than I can say about the PC version for me. Plus the controller support is kind of good.
I really hate the Unity engine.

They did not upgrade game to latest Unity 5 or something for console release? Lol if true.

Pachimari

I believe Durante has a fix for the game that needs to be installed, along with some other tweaks. Check PC gaming wiki, the game is kind of a mess.

Use DPFix, but expect the game to keep crashing every now and then so keep saving. I have a friend that got to a point where he couldn't progress any further from how much it crashed, but it didn't stop him from thinking that it is fantastic.

Nice. I've checked out the PC Wiki and I've installed "HD Font, HUD, icons" and "pause screen textures." Although I have no idea how to "Remove crease fold in York's jacket" and how to install the "Clean title screen." It says "Rename to 5651d027" and "Rename to b2ddd5d3" but what am I to rename?

Is it okay that I have put it all in <path to game> > dpfix > dpfix > tex_override?

This is what my folder looks like:

F8QKJA0.jpg

Tizoc

Damn, The Good Life looks amazing. I really hope Swery will have a shot to make it happen.

Last I checked it was nearing 10% it has a chance.
I'm not too sold on the artstyle in 3D models but Iam sold on the gameplay so I will pledge down the line.

Buraindo

I am honestly surprised at how smoothly Assassin's Creed Rogue runs. Best one yet in terms of performance for me. Game seems to be alright so far, though the controls seem a bit worse than the other titles in the series.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I am honestly surprised at how smoothly Assassin's Creed Rogue runs. Best one yet in terms of performance for me. Game seems to be alright so far, though the controls seem a bit worse than the other titles in the series.

That's probably because it's on the branch of Anvil from Assassin's Creed 4, but feels like a half-step below AC4's visuals (maxed out compared to maxed out). That combined with modern PC hardware led to very consistent performance.

That optional, 15 minute Tabletop scene was incredibly pointless, yet still really fun.

Telltale should take some notes character building.
Are you finding Life is Strange: BtS to stand up alongside DONTNOD's work? Because I found that LiS is miles beyond anything TellTale has done.
What counts as a purposeful optional gameplay element?

Gameplay you needn't experience to progress.

Like imagine there's two routes; one is blocked off, with a chest at the end containing some treasure, while the other progresses forward to the next level. The chest-laden path would be optional because it is not essential for getting through the area.

Mivey

In all honesty, the game's at fault here not the player. It should either present much easier to perform actions before this dash sequence or the text should be much more clear.
At first, sure. But after having pressed the dash button a few times, and clearly seeing what happened, he should realize the following

1) There is only one jump height, you are not jumping higher by pressing more often or longer.

2) The dash thrusts you forward, with no vertical movement at all.

If after witnessing what he did, his brain cannot gain these, rather primitive, pieces of knowledge, that's on the player.
Once you do understand 1) and 2), and also look at the, again primitive, level layout the rest should be resolved in seconds. This guy should never touch games like The Witness or Stephen's Sausage Roll, he would effectively become parallelized and die of dehydration.

Hektor

Are you finding Life is Strange: BtS to stand up alongside DONTNOD's work? Because I found that LiS is miles beyond anything TellTale has done.

The presentation is certainly on par, i thought the writing (read dialogue) to be a lot better than in the first Season.

Of course it's hard to judge a game like this with only one episode having released, but i'd say definitely pick it up if you liked LiS, it doesn't feel like a cheap cashgrab.

Also, the new gameplay element of insulting people is really cool and reminds me of Monkey Island

Teggy

The dash should be over a pit instead of a pillar requiring use of the previous tutorial block. The previous tips were self contained.

Also putting button presses for "ground dash" and "air dash" separately would help.

Knurek

World End Economica in a nutshell:

Episode 1: 90 % stocking fetish, 10% stock trading, terrible translation
Episode 2: 50% ojousama fetish, 50% corporate investigations, good translation
Episode 3: bank run, debt consolidation, NINJA loans, real estate market bubble, trade war, why can't I hold all these economics, great translation.

Jawmuncher

That's Player error. The he'll did he think would happen dashing into a pillar? You can even tell it's a static asset and won't break or anything. That plus what stump said about his review of Mass Effect basically comes out as the reviewed MO to play as terribly as possible.
Hear hear, a Dino Crisis fan knows how to end a franchise afterall

tumblr_orjqiyBlmz1v2wd85o1_250.gif

Laugh it up while you can
25a92f1a2ac86efb3135ef8696806dff.gif

The presentation is certainly on par, i thought the writing (read dialogue) to be a lot better than in the first Season.

Of course it's hard to judge a game like this with only one episode having released, but i'd say definitely pick it up if you liked LiS, it doesn't feel like a cheap cashgrab.

Also, the new gameplay element of insulting people is really cool and reminds me of Monkey Island
Good to hear! It really sounded phoned-in prerelease, between the off-brand VO and developer.

I think I'll wait until the SAG-AFTRA strike is over before seriously considering it (gotta get the real Chloe paid, after all!) but it's officially on my radar now.

Ascheroth

World End Economica in a nutshell:

Episode 1: 90 % stocking fetish, 10% stock trading, terrible translation
Episode 2: 50% ojousama fetish, 50% corporate investigations, good translation
Episode 3: bank run, debt consolidation, NINJA loans, real estate market bubble, trade war, why can't I hold all these economics, great translation.
Accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom