• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to play Counter-Strike Nexon Zombies since yesterday but whenever I start it I get this message: The servers are currently down for maintenance. Please refer to the website for announcements. Is everyone having this issue or only me?

I think the servers are currently down for maintenance, let me refer to the website for an annoucement brb.

Milamber

I thought that was the latest Razer mouse. >.>
Wp065zZ.png

Lain

Asking in here because I saw some posts talking about the 970.
I'm getting tempted to upgrade to a 970 from my 570, especially to better experience upcoming stuff like Mordor. A friend told me to not get a MSI because he's had 2 cards bought from them come out not working and to instead get a Zotac (which wouldn't be a bad idea as the Zotac is 30€ cheaper than the MSI -339 vs 369- where I'd buy it).
Wondering if the 3rd party manufacturer even matters much apart from stuff like the card coming out already slightly OC or stuff like 2 fans vs 3?

I am trying to play Counter-Strike Nexon Zombies since yesterday but whenever I start it I get this message: The servers are currently down for maintenance. Please refer to the website for announcements. Is everyone having this issue or only me?

Play Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies
Open Beta Test - Avaiable until 9AM, Sep 25th PDT

That's what it says for me on the store page. Maybe it's one of those betas where you can play only a few days at a time.

Arthea

What do I have against Razer? Oh lets see... How about horrible build quality combined with over inflated price because you know 'Gaming' and all that on top of some of the most garish design and colours used for peripherals. Half their stuff wouldn't look out of place attached to a Beyblade. I wonder if that chap who started that awesome thread here has lots of Razer products?
I still haven't bought any Razer mouse, even if I was considering couple of times, so I have no idea how bad or good they are, but they do look funny, at least.
the beyblade guy was funny and so brimming with enthusiasm, you all shouldn't have scared him away with your venomous sarcasm and cynicism, that was mean, you know. (><)

Another mix of not so good stuff with some actually good games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kurt Russell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-1A2C5782BF3389CD - Taken by Leg-End. 2 entrants total.
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe -- MB-5286C2652B3E45F3 - Taken by Scipius. 2 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-556C4FA8B5487A25 - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.
To The Moon -- MB-FC702EA07007385D - Taken by vareon. 4 entrants total.
Circuits -- MB-F1E3FB9ED6656F04 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 1 entrants total.
Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars -- MB-B5F2D0DD0C7844E3 - Taken by MillionStabs. 3 entrants total.
Really Big Sky -- MB-C2B12E3277B20C1E - Taken by Tesseract. 2 entrants total.
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-572D06C716A18B4C - Taken by agniswarm. 1 entrants total.
Major Mayhem -- MB-892A45A63838972E - Taken by Haunted. 1 entrants total.
Alien Zombie Megadeath -- MB-3C8D4183DD46F8D8 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Receiver -- MB-8FD06C0ACB277D80 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Tropico 3 -- MB-5364BB0E010EA9BA - Taken by Erheller. 1 entrants total.
SOL: Exodus -- MB-597628653DBFFE24 - Taken by VikasNarula. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-4AA3C6514E301CE9 - Taken by devo1989. 5 entrants total.
Demolition Inc. -- MB-90053B83B0573254 - Taken by hepburn3d. 3 entrants total.
Clickr -- MB-62F1D54C8EED9A1D - Taken by Abomination. 4 entrants total.
Canyon Capers -- MB-883DC3F7BCF72409 - Taken by EdmondD. 1 entrants total.
Canyon Capers - Rio Fever (DLC) -- MB-AAD7020FEACD3483

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for VVVVVV was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1411654790z1.png

Asking in here because I saw some posts talking about the 970.
I'm getting tempted to upgrade to a 970 from my 570, especially to better experience upcoming stuff like Mordor. A friend told me to not get a MSI because he's had 2 cards bought from them come out not working and to instead get a Zotac (which wouldn't be a bad idea as the Zotac is 30&#8364; cheaper than the MSI -339 vs 369- where I'd buy it).
Wondering if the 3rd party manufacturer even matters much apart from stuff like the card coming out already slightly OC or stuff like 2 fans vs 3?

It matters to some extent. MSI Twin Frozr cards have a track record of being pretty good whereas Zotac is a somewhat lower tier manufacturer compared to some of the bigger names. Zotac does come with a 5 year warranty so there's some peace of mind in that regard. I feel what it really comes down to is if you can easily afford the 'better' card (i.e. factory OC, custom cooling), go for it. If you're pinching pennies, a reference card from a 'second tier' manufacturer will be just fine.

edit - as for your friend's advice, anecdotal evidence can point in the favor of or against every single consumer electronics company ever. I'm sure there are people who have had good experiences and bad experiences with every single brand out there. Just make sure to check the warranty and ease of RMA process before making your purchase decision.

Milamber

What do I have against Razer? Oh lets see... How about horrible build quality combined with over inflated price because you know 'Gaming' and all that on top of some of the most garish design and colours used for peripherals. Half their stuff wouldn't look out of place attached to a Beyblade. I wonder if that chap who started that awesome thread here has lots of Razer products?

Personally, I have used their Keyboards and mice and I seem to be an outlier in the terrible build quality camp. I get up to 4 years on their stuff and either change it for a newer model or a key/button gets twitchy because I hammer it for too long (Diablo and Hentai games do that a lot).

Heck, I RMA more Logitech's in my office than a Razer I use at home.

Dr Dogg

I still haven't bought any Razer mouse, even if I was considering couple of times, so I have no idea how bad or good they are, but they do look funny, at least.
the beyblade guy was funny and so brimming with enthusiasm, you all shouldn't have scared him away with your venomous sarcasm and cynicism, that was mean, you know. (><)

I bought a Death Adder due to them making a left handed model and it lasted about 3 months before it starter to track incorrectly. Turns out it was the sensor used on that model so I got it sent back to me with a newer firmware. Lasted 2 months before it started doing the same thing. Sent it back and got a replacement which ended up being a newer model but right handed (so completely against the point of me buying one in the first place). Lasted about 6 months before the scroll wheel gave out and now it's been thrown in a box of duff back up PC parts.

Some people get on fine with them and 'shock horror' like their styling but no sadly not for me.

Personally, I have used their Keyboards and mice and I seem to be an outlier in the terrible build quality camp. I get up to 4 years on their stuff and either change it for a newer model or a key/button gets twitchy because I hammer it for too long (Diablo and Hentai games do that a lot).

Oh definitely you can only go by your own experience and mine with Razer isn't comparable with other companies. While I have also RMA'd more Logitech stuff than Razer (the same MX518 even) they have had nothing but a first class service that even covered out of warranty returns which I doubt Razer would be so kind. The cost is another factor, for the same money as a Black Widow (or what ever their top mechanical keyboard is these days) you could get a top quality Ducky or DAS keyboard, you know from companies that actually make them not farm them out to cheaper OEMs. We're all particular about our peripherals, some just want the cheapest, some look at price as an indicator of quality, others go with their past experience, but Razer does get a bad rep. Is it overblown? Maybe but from my experience with them I'm in no rush to buy one of their products.

Melchior

Picked up The Vanishing of Ethan Carter with some keys and saved 5$. Game looks pretty great. Hopefully it distracts me until Dark Souls 2 dlc and Shadow of Mordor

Sarcasm

My razor products always broke and here I am still using my logitech keyboard from 7+ years..which btw is wireless. And both my headphones from logitech still work flawlessly..from 7+ years ago.

Also I got gifted a SS D3 mouse 4 years ago (or 3 don't remember). Just last week or so wife split water on it, only the middle button register thing broke. So I just bought a sensei raw to replace it =D=D

deadflower81

Neo Member
Just received a 50% discount on The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II Complete Pack.
If you need it send me a PM.
First come first served. ;)

Leg-End

I've had a couple of razer Deathadders and they both ended up with double click issues, I probably should have moved on when the first one went but I was too lazy to re-adjust to a different shape.

pixlexic

Banned
all the razer products i had could last very long. my razer headset lasted 2.5 years.. mouse lasted 2 years etc

Yeah is so weird. Some people say they have issues but I there's like myself have had many razer products that have never had issues.

It's the one reason I love razer.

Vazduh

"You have the following unclaimed keys registered with ModBot:"

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vazduh, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-BED0E8C61FE6C94F - Taken by $h@d0w. 4 entrants total.
The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-495CF4E478662F70

t1411655750z1.png

Arthea

I actually use samsung mouse at work (not sure why we bought it, can't remember (><), it's probably 5-6 years old now, no problems whatsoever, considering that I spend about the same time at the office as at home... I go through them at home so fast, it has to be some sort of record (mostly logitech, though)
You never know with mice, it's not dependant on brand alone too.

Turfster

Oh look, Valve still hasn't fixed the "hey let's offer region locked f2p shit in our suggestion queues and crash them for the rest of the day" bullshit.

Asgaro

This is my browsing habit.
  • open browser
  • see dozens of tabs I still have to read
  • open Gaf
  • open Gaming
  • middle-Click the sh** out of every thread which sounds interesting
  • open Steam Thread
  • middle-Click the sh** out of every post which sounds interesting
  • ~ several hours later ~
  • haven't finished todays new posts & threads
  • get sleepy
  • bookmark every open window/tab
  • ~ the next day ~
  • rinse and repeat

My man. I do the same lol.

And to add to this: I also buffer 5 to 10 Youtube videos in 1080p at all times. (A Chrome extension allows to buffer the whole video instead of only chucked parts like it's by default.)
My internet connection is too slow to stream 1080p without some slowdows so I resort to buffering the shit out of everything.

My 8 GB of RAM is getting some good use!
I've had occasions where my Windows OS warns me of too high RAM usage, but then I bookmark some tabs and close them to free up RAM.

Sini

all the razer products i had could last very long. my razer headset lasted 2.5 years.. mouse lasted 2 years etc
That's not long, If my mouse only lasted 2 years I either had to handle it badly or its build quality wasn't good.
I have had my Logitech G5 for over 7 years and it still functions as well as new.

Anteater

damn, that sleeping dogs definite edition trailer

Talk about increased traffic and pedestrians

Shows Wei Shen driving through an empty street

&#3232;_&#3232;

Edit: and where's my Wei Shen kawaii make over?

Arthea

Every time I see that Lord of the Rings Online DLC I mis-read it as the "Steely Dan" starter pack. Every. Single. Time.

I do that with Deep Silver, every time I read it Deep Sliver, it's already default, can't read it any other way
not as funny as yours, but a pun in own way

I bought a Death Adder due to them making a left handed model and it lasted about 3 months before it starter to track incorrectly. Turns out it was the sensor used on that model so I got it sent back to me with a newer firmware. Lasted 2 months before it started doing the same thing. Sent it back and got a replacement which ended up being a newer model but right handed (so completely against the point of me buying one in the first place). Lasted about 6 months before the scroll wheel gave out and now it's been thrown in a box of duff back up PC parts.

Like you I bought a Deathadder because they made a left-handed model. However, mine still works great and I bought it about 4 and a half years ago. I've never used anything else made by them but when I need a new mouse I probably will get another left-handed Deathadder.

Lain

It matters to some extent. MSI Twin Frozr cards have a track record of being pretty good whereas Zotac is a somewhat lower tier manufacturer compared to some of the bigger names. Zotac does come with a 5 year warranty so there's some peace of mind in that regard. I feel what it really comes down to is if you can easily afford the 'better' card (i.e. factory OC, custom cooling), go for it. If you're pinching pennies, a reference card from a 'second tier' manufacturer will be just fine.

edit - as for your friend's advice, anecdotal evidence can point in the favor of or against every single consumer electronics company ever. I'm sure there are people who have had good experiences and bad experiences with every single brand out there. Just make sure to check the warranty and ease of RMA process before making your purchase decision.

The 5 year warranty is a nice perk, though your post gave me the sort of push I needed to actually grab the MSI. Now to wait for it to arrive and to clean my PC.

Asgaro

Tell me more.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif

Best invention since sliced bread.

My layout:
(Don't mind the bandwidth meter)

youtubechromextension.PNG

Some great features:
- You can change the volume of the video my hovering with your mouse over the video area, and scrolling the mouse wheel. In the settings you can define the step size (Mine is on 10). It's handy when you don't want to use the keyboard to use an awkward shortcut, or don't want to fiddle with the Sound notification icon.

- You can set your favorite quality so the video automatically loads in that quality.
No more opening each video and having to set the quality yourself.

- You can make the screen bigger by default like you can see in the screenshot. (That's the Auto Wide feature in the options).
It's a viable solution when you don't occasionally want to watch in full screen but on the other hand, you find the default size too small to enjoy.

- You can force the Flash player or HTML5 player.
I personally still prefere the Flash player - although it will eventually get phased out in favor of HTML5 - because using Flash feels somehow more snappier/more refined for me.

- You can make it so videos buffer completely, instead of in chunks.

- On top of the above feature, you can make it so videos do NOT start automatically when opening them in a tab. This is very useful since if you like the complete buffering, you will probably load them in a tab and only watch them later on!

- You can disable all video annotations.
I don't know whether the USE ALL THE SCREEN SPACE FOR ALL THE ANNOTATIONS trend is still going on, since I've been clean of annotations for years now, but in case it still is...

- You can hide unwanted elements.
Personally, I use it to hide the Related Videos section. I never look at it and it takes up useless space.

- You can use a dark layout, similar to what Neogaf has.
No more burning retinas when tabbing between Neogaf and Youtube!

- And some other minor features.

Dr Dogg

Alright who's running the GAF Curators section?

You are not Ethan Carter but a Private Detective named Paul Prospero who receives a letter from Ethan Carter. Tsk, tsk.

Like you I bought a Deathadder because they made a left-handed model. However, mine still works great and I bought it about 4 and a half years ago. I've never used anything else made by them but when I need a new mouse I probably will get another left-handed Deathadder.

Yeah it's a shame really as they are one of the few ergonomic left handed mice not just for gaming but full stop. I bought a Steelseries Sensi and it did take a bit of getting used to due to having forward and back buttons on both sides but I'm more than happy now. So much I bought a Diablo III mouse (same thing as a Sensi Raw but about half the cost) for another PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom