• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

It's amazing that there are still people like you out there.
I don't think I have a 5% completion rate. :\

your post is so misleading and hyperbolic also utterly understated!
you'll finish 100 games this year alone, and most of those are steam games as far as I can remember. If I was to finish 100 games per year, I had a chance to play all my steam library in something pitiful like 15 years! presuming that I stop buying games and play only steam games.
last two were especially good, you must admit!
and also you totally asked for this, didn't you? (><)

Man, now I feel like a freak for having about a 40% completion rate... at 734 games =p

who are you again?
yup, definitely a freak

Got my first card in Witcher ;)

Witcher looks quite well for a seven-year-old game, but doesn't sound as nice, the voice acting is very wooden.

Arthea

23% out of 687.
We need to go lower.

28% out of 1640
and it is a lie, unfortunately (._.)
steam lies and cheats and lulls our alertness

Mine is 72.6% out of 604 games
on my 360
. Greatest gamer confirmed!

oh wow! I thought my PS3 completion rate is insane, that's something like ~40% (used to be), not anymore, I play too many steam games lately, but yours! just wow.
Is it true?

Hugstable

Banned
Well, to be fair, that post was 20 pages ago... But thanks for the info. Sounds like it's just as bad as the PSP version was.

I think I'll skip this release. I've played enough FFIV in various forms over the years and it's actually one of my least-liked FF games.

It's much better than the PSP version and actually has a good challenge to it and is quite fun enough especially with the augments and voice acted sequences which make everything feel at least somewhat new. FFIV DS (Steam version is based off it) is probably my 4rd favorite mainline FF game with FFV being my favorite and FFVI and VII being my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, Steam returns 29% on my profile, but that's not correct because I have a fuckton of older games without achievements ;)

That's what he's saying: it's not an accurate figure when taking into account one's whole library as games without achievements and those with achievements that are all locked are not factored into the equation.

DocSeuss

Docseuss is a child. RDR is one of the best console games ever made. All of his complaints are pathetic, and there are MUCH MUCH worse games. Seriously DocSeuss, quit gaming, because you're pathetic. If I were Rockstar, I'd be taking you to task on a slander lawsuit, do you know HOW many people I've met that AVOIDED this game, just because of THIS shitty review? You are telling people NOT to play one of the BEST games ever made. You're really just a shitty person..

Oh this is Kotaku, a completely biased and bullshit and involved in gamergate. All makes sense now, guys, stop reading this shit, they aren't even real game journalist, they bash games that aren't made by studios they support, and they tell everyone to ACTUALLY play some of the LOWEST rated FLOPS on the internet.

Once again, Docseuss, STFU and GTFO you are pathetic.

ahahahahahahaha

Received this today on one of my old articles re: why RDR is horrible. Not even a paid article or anything. It was actually on the community side. I was feeling just astonishingly depressed this morning, and now, lol. It's amazing.

If you're extremely bored, like I am, this next bit might amuse you.

Funnily, I actually got banned from that community recently. Basically, last fall, they started making decisions that negatively impacted their userbase. Their average on articles is like... a couple hundred views at most. Back when I was writing, I always had more than three or four thousand, and stuff like my RDR piece was up at 10,000 views. I commented on this earlier this summer. Poked my head out of my hole and was like "hey, guys, people aren't reading as much 'cause you're making X and Y mistakes." The admins there got all huffy and started complaining at me because of this, pulling numbers from unreliable hit-tracking sites to 'prove' I was wrong, etc. But yeah, no, they're declining.

Any negative remark I (or anyone who agreed with me) made was met with hate ("94% of all people here hate you") and threats of bans. I was banned a month later for "harassment." I wrote a multi-paragraph, glowing review of the community (which I'd been a part of for, oh, almost ten years) and had a simple sentence that even if parts of it might put people off, it was still great on the whole. What a horrible harasser I am.

lol

Deques

Before completion rate gets out of hand

Read this first

iVz5OFp87Lyk7.png

Thread rules:
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. Splitting retail packs is fine in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and poor posting behaviour.

Lomax

When I had around 350 games I was still fairly proud of my played/completion rate. Now, barely over a year later, I have almost three times that many and not counting card idling I probably haven't even started up 90% of those games I've gotten. Even worse, I have over 150 hours into several MMOs in that time. I still manage to beat a game or two per month (about one a week over the summer), but my completion rate is getting pretty bad now. Maybe once I hit 1000 games officially I'll curb my spending some.
That would require every bundle site to shut down at once.

My achievement completion rate hovers around 30% but Playfire rewards pretty much ruined it permanently.

ahahahahahahaha

Received this today on one of my old articles re: why RDR is horrible. Not even a paid article or anything. It was actually on the community side. I was feeling just astonishingly depressed this morning, and now, lol. It's amazing.

I should read that article, might make me stop wishing it was on PC.

c'mon now, unless you think we shouldn't play games at all, as folktale goes, completion rate is very much on topic.

It isn't a matter of off-topic, it's just to remind people to be sure to keep it as a conversation, not just posting random stats that no one really cares about.

Turfster

That's what he's saying: it's not an accurate figure when taking into account one's whole library as games without achievements and those with achievements that are all locked are not factored into the equation.
Oh, I know, that's why I gave my own number, judging by the games in the "completed" tag ;)

Looks like Gauntlet's netcode is kinda shit.
Anyone that has it care to comment?
It's pretty much a dealbreaker for me if the netcode sucks, since I'd only play it with friends from around the world, so...

vg260

So no current 25% off GMG codes that work on Evil Within? I'm close to caving, and they're making it easy to resist.

Chariot

AFAIK its in the achievement showcase section as one of the showcases for your profile
Thanks!

Steam tells me that I have 18%, which is more than I expected, even when subtracting the games I never played. I usually don't care about achievements and don't play many story driven games that throw out achievements for regular progress.

Arthea

It isn't a matter of off-topic, it's just to remind people to be sure to keep it as a conversation, not just posting random stats that no one really cares about.

I feel like this needs to be added to OP.

• Posting about pizza, waifus or subway systems is encouraged however.

adding to the list: dentist talk, spider talk, quoting gifs for pages at no end, etc.

Alavard

It's much better than the PSP version and actually has a good challenge to it and is quite fun enough especially with the augments and voice acted sequences which make everything feel at least somewhat new. FFIV DS (Steam version is based off it) is probably my 4rd favorite mainline FF game with FFV being my favorite and FFVI and VII being my 2nd and 3rd favorites.

Outside of the encounter rate, my biggest problem with the PSP version was that ~75% of the bosses were set to auto-counter specific spells with incredibly high powered spells of their own, which they'd never otherwise cast. It made the most powerful spells/summons you could use pointless, as using them would often just get you killed.

Turfster

No because that will lead to us talking about when the rest of the game will get released and we'll all end up sad and depressed.

This, basically.
My policy is to only get episodic games when they're out completely.
I've been having to stop myself from buying KR0 for the last year and a half now.

DocSeuss

I should read that article, might make me stop wishing it was on PC.

added some context to the above that hopefully makes it a bit funnier (slightly sad too)

As for RDR...

Simple version?

1) It's not a good Western--what it has to say has already been said, and better, elsewhere. The game's ultimate theme is "the gubmint is bad, mmk?" also some nonsense about how "the west is dying" but the Peckinpah stuff it so desperately attempts to be manages to do it better.

2) It's a game that will drastically alter character voice so it can make the point. That's a sign of bad writing.

3) The controls are bad--I kept encountering a bug on 360. Let's say I wanted to turn 45 degrees to the right. Pushing 45 degrees to the right on the stick meant that John would turn to the left, jog around in a little circle, and then head off in that direction. This can lead to running into doors or off cliffs, depending on where you are in the game.

So, uh... not much about it is that good, really.

Great poker sim, though. Very 'authentic' Western in terms of sfx and stuff. Also the only game I can think of that attempts to do atmospheric distortion instead of distance fog.

Hugstable

Banned
Outside of the encounter rate, my biggest problem with the PSP version was that ~75% of the bosses were set to auto-counter specific spells with incredibly high powered spells of their own, which they'd never otherwise cast. It made the most powerful spells/summons you could use pointless, as using them would often just get you killed.

I never played the PSP version, I thought everyone had said it was just stupid easy, didn't know they had some countering mechanic like that. WHile this version of FFIV is harder, I don't really remember ever having problems with summons or spells unless the enemy straight up absorbed the attack since he was strong against the element. Check into it cause I'm pretty sure there was nothing like that in the DS/ios/steam version of the game. Also the encounter rate is still probably the same considering it's still an early RPG. I don't mind since I grew up with games like this, at least the encounter rate isn't as bad as Breath of Fire 2 on SNES used to be -___-

So, are there any real reasons to downsample a 2d game? I've caught the downsampling bug since I started using GeDoSaTo and am currently running Clash of Heroes at 4k. I mean, i guess it looks sharp but I'm wondering if it's just placebo and if it would look the same at 1080p.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This has been bothering me, how does steam know if we complete a game?

It just uses the percentage of achievements earned is all. It averages it for every game where you have at least 1 achievement.

-----

As a side note, I'm having trouble adding the "Free to Play" soundtrack DLC to my account because it says I don't own the base game (even though I watched the movie a few times and earned all of the achievements). Is anyone else having this problem?

Newblade

These are keys from gmg's welcome pack. They didn't bother to specify what code is for what so neither will I.

PER5VHTQF32J7BYTEV4ALNYVZ

E2G9Q-RFE7X-MT8EZ

4FAA0-VW8NZ-N52P3

7J23J-HWJKH-TVE4I

PF2NNXC5UPUFJEQ2MPNEQSLDN

P33WQZPAVBDMCJFZU7KL4LDCQ

CP8E4-LR7XC-HZDSX-22AA2-G7Q2M-YDEWA-XW009

PCCZM77S9TGAUDVTMDU3EUCTD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This has been bothering me, how does steam know if we complete a game?

The completion rate refers to the average amount of achievements, expressed in percent, that you've obtained in achievement-supporting games and in which you've unlocked at least one achievement. For example, if you'd only ever unlocked achievements in HL2 (say, 25% of them) and Episode One (say, 33% of them), your ACR would be 29%.

These are keys from gmg's welcome pack. They didn't bother to specify what code is for what so neither will I.

PER5VHTQF32J7BYTEV4ALNYVZ

E2G9Q-RFE7X-MT8EZ

4FAA0-VW8NZ-N52P3

7J23J-HWJKH-TVE4I

PF2NNXC5UPUFJEQ2MPNEQSLDN

P33WQZPAVBDMCJFZU7KL4LDCQ

CP8E4-LR7XC-HZDSX-22AA2-G7Q2M-YDEWA-XW009

PCCZM77S9TGAUDVTMDU3EUCTD

I took the second code, it was Canyon Capers. Thanks.

Locust

As a side note, I'm having trouble adding the "Free to Play" soundtrack DLC to my account because it says I don't own the base game (even though I watched the movie a few times and earned all of the achievements). Is anyone else having this problem?

You have to add the movie to your account first with the play button if you haven't watched it since the free on demand update.

Turfster

Soooo you don't own Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 & 2 then? If not you may as well bite the bullet on that one.
Well, no, I got all the "OH MAN GAMES ARE GOING TO BE EPISODIC AND IT'LL BE AWESOME" first wave stuff... and I'm stuck with lots of incomplete games.
Never again.

Sold my Bill's hat, got 7 invites from randoms.
It's gone now though.
Ignores all of them

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You have to add the movie to your account first with the play button if you haven't watched it since the free on demand update.

Ah good to know, thanks!

kurahador

It just uses the percentage of achievements earned is all. It averages it for every game where you have at least 1 achievement.

The completion rate refers to the average amount of achievements, expressed in percent, that you've obtained in achievement-supporting games and in which you've unlocked at least one achievement. For example, if you'd only ever unlocked achievements in HL2 (say, 25% of them) and Episode One (say, 33% of them), your ACR would be 29%.

That clears it.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom