• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

autoduelist

PixelJunk Monsters causes gaming PTSD. It has a terrible, terrible difficulty curve, it's near impossible to plan ahead for the levels without several long retrys, and it requires perfects to continue to advance to new levels. Since you mention it was your only TD pick up a copy of something like Defense Grid to clear the taste out of your mouth.

In all honestly PJM has a few good ideas, and I love the style. But it's a game that just feels fundamentally repetitive in an unfair fashion with how it is designed.

A couple things -- you don't need perfects (rainbows) to continue. I agree some levels require 'failure' but that's often when they introduce a new enemy type and common in genre (I know some newer TD games have a rewind feature and agree that's awesome, but needing to start from scratch to deal with unexpected/unprepared for enemies is hardly a problem unique to PJM and often a core feature of TD (after all, that's kind of the point, else you could build anything). it's no where near as cringe inducing as, say, that final fantasy td game and tons of others.

it's also a great coop game.

i do agree it's not best of genre, I just don't think it's bad by any stretch, and in fact, quite good. I've rainbowed everything on two versions (ps3, vita) and enjoyed it both times.

Miguel81

Is it that system intensive? I figured for a cross gen game, the requirements would be fairly low.

Just the fact that it's idTech5 and I have an AMD card -- I'm already on the losing side. The only OpenGL games that perform alright are old-ass ones, but Doom 3 was a crash fest. I haven't even tried Wolf yet.

Even if you had the old files it still wouldn't be possible; Steam runs a file verification check every time it's booted up and any files that fail it are re-downloaded. Your only hope is for Valve to allow custom skins for BPM.
Aww dang it, I find the new icon to look so tacky, but the old one looks really neato.
I guess it's time to go e-mail Gabe Newell or something.

Playing ZE:VLR right now and i really wish they would put this game on PC. There's nothing here that can't be done on PC, and if the devs are really struggling to get a 3rd game going then put it on Steam and give the game cards. they'll fund part 3 in a week, dammit.

Damn, that's a good idea. Gimme part 3 dammit!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
OT giveaway

Any music fans here?

iUqCVZncwpAYi.jpg

Aphex Twin - Syro bleep.com download code

High Quality 320kbps MP3 download for the new Aphex Twin album.
I already own the Vinyl and FLAC and have no need for this, enjoy! :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Aphex Twin Syro (bleep.com/redeem/aphextwin-syro) -- MB-C2C34423833E85B9 - Taken by 28 Posts Later. 13 entrants total.

t1411686651z1.png

Asgaro

So here is a question:

How big is everyone's wishlist?

Lately I've come to the realization that mine is slowly growing very large. It seems like I add a game a day, sometimes more. It's starting to worry me, as I already have a huge backlog of games to even install yet.... o_O

And I want to play all of them.

But - around half of those are in Early Access.
And recently I've had to scratch 2 Early Access games from my wishlist since they didn't live up to the expectations. (The Stomping Land and Starforge)

So it remains to be seen whether all those EA games actually become a worthy purchase.

Nabs

OlliOlli 2: Electric Olliwood better not take 6 months to come to PC.

Day 1 (+182?). OlliOlli is fantastic and I'm thirsty for more.

edit:

-- Heh. These comments are amazing --

2gnv9r 4 hours ago

Playstation please get your act together. I know indie games are cool..and I like this one, but I did not buy a console with heavy specs to play these kinds of games..

Sincerely, a very loyal customer

Maged_MD 5 hours ago

an iOS game coming to console, nice. This is the real power f the ps4, INDIE GAMES

TheDJDUCK0 16 hours ago

this is what next gen has come to...wow

Hairless Sasquatch 2 hours ago

This is what you can expect to get when your purchase a PS4, people. almost $500 to play flash games

Copons

I'm really freaking exhausted so this may come across as more curt than I mean it to sound. Sorry if it does!

1) Westerns are awesome. Especially the mythic Spaghetti Westerns.

2) It is Rockstar's best writing ever. That's how bad they are. Dialog's great, character/plot/theme are not. Heck, these things often collide where the game is concerned--you're dragged around doing really repetitive tasks because of a repetitive story. Bears will kill you on sight in the gameplay, but during a cutscene, the game admonishes you for killing defenseless bears.

3) All the things you described are presentation. This is the single most important element of whether or not a game is popular.

1) Yeah, basically RDR made me overcome my dislike for the genre and Django Unchained made me want to really learn everything about it.
Shamefully, my girlfriend hates Western movies, so it's really hard for me to find enough time to watch the hundreds of Western movies I'd like to know :(

2) I think they threw everything into the characterization of John Marston, and kinda let any other character a bit bland on purpose. All in all, though, even with the customary Rockstar exaggerated characters (that I hate), the world felt lively, vibrant and more importantly, cohesive.

3) Yup. I forgot to list the - obvious, from my point of view - point: I had a whole lot of fun playing it, to the point that it's one of the very few games I bothered 100%. :)

Always check before pluging your network cable

zkylon warning

Well fuck, why the hell did I click.

:'(

OT giveaway

Any music fans here?

iUqCVZncwpAYi.jpg

NNNNNNNICE!
Entered and finger crossed! :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Are Steam Stats easily hackable? That is, can players edit them the way they can edit a standard text file in a sense?

chronomac

The Defender's Quest key is for GOG but the other two are Steam keys. Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 3 -- MB-FE465D4D2963565E - Taken by Vlad
Defender's Quest -- MB-399995470864EE15 - Taken by Vlad. 6 entrants total.
Ms. Splosion Man -- MB-57869CC8FEBA1C8D - Taken by Tesseract. 20 entrants total.

t1411688571z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are Steam Stats easily hackable? That is, can players edit them the way they can edit a standard text file in a sense?

Yes and no. If you're talking about the stats that you (as a developer) put into a game, like "number of tacos consumed", then yes.

It's not as easy as editing a text file, you need an application using the Steam framework to report these updated stats to Steam since they're saved server-side. So the same way that users can "hack" achievements, they can also "hack" in-game stats. In fact one of the most popular achievement unlocking applications also supports doing this.

Shadownet

Banned
Metal Gear Rising is Edit: This post has incorrect information. Forgive me.
-----------------
I'm tempted to get it myself. But I'l probably just save my money.

Eurgh, steam page for Ethan Carter now just says Coming Soon -_-
WTH? I just checked like a minute ago and it said Available in 1 hour.

Jawmuncher

If you have Skullgirls on Steam, remember to add the Eliza DLC to your account next week! She's only going to be free for ~3 months!

I thought it gets auto added depending on your sub?
I know I never added for Squiggly or big band. But I was a backer.

Nzyme32

OT giveaway

Any music fans here?

iUqCVZncwpAYi.jpg

Already bought it and love it. I highly recommend someone win it, and commend you for giving it away!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
sad face, cant find a 970 anyware (well, at least not without paying ridiculous shipping costs or even overpriced cards because its rare right now) so Ive settled with sticking my old 580 in the new rig for the time being :(

at least everything else in the new rig will obliterate my current one so it should still be a nice upgrade :(

I blame Jawmuncher

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Already bought it and love it. I highly recommend someone win it, and commend you for giving it away!

Everyone here seems to love these Aphex Twins. Outside of GAF I've never heard of them. Guess I need to get with the times.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yes and no. If you're talking about the stats that you (as a developer) put into a game, like "number of tacos consumed", then yes.

It's not as easy as editing a text file, you need an application using the Steam framework to report these updated stats to Steam since they're saved server-side. So the same way that users can "hack" achievements, they can also "hack" in-game stats. In fact one of the most popular achievement unlocking applications also supports doing this.

Ah, thanks jshackles, I was wondering how much security that would provide. Sounds like I'd be better off doing standard client side saving since anyone who wants to hack will find a way to do it.

Metal Gear Rising is $6.37 at Gamestop.com if you use the code PC15PR. (Activates on Steam)
-----------------
I'm tempted to get it myself. But I'l probably just save my money.

WTH? I just checked like a minute ago and it said Available in 1 hour.

Um, MGR is great. It's about 5 hours long, sure, but that's not counting the DLC. Also, the main story dealt with
the black market sales of the organs of children from developing nations
while you slice huge robots to pieces and emo metal plays in the background. All for less that $7.

Just a tech note: if you're using HDMI to your TV for your PC gaming, you'll need to set the game up for borderless windows. Otherwise, you'll get weird performance issues and the game won't run quite as well.

jshackles

Ah, thanks jshackles, I was wondering how much security that would provide. Sounds like I'd be better off doing standard client side saving since anyone who wants to hack will find a way to do it.

Either that or you may talk to your Valve rep about server-side authentication of that data. Several other games use it, but I'm not sure what exactly it entails since I've obviously not done it myself.

Shadownet

Banned
Actually disregard my post above. It seems Enhanced Steam was mistaken. That code only work for pre-ordered games.

So the discount price for Metal Gear Rising on Steam is $7.49. Still not a bad deal.

For future reference. you can order downloadable code using the coupon ANYDEAL15 to get 15% off. Offer ends 12/31/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom