• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Mum hoping I won't regret that Evil Within purchase because of the strong urge for 4gb VRAM.

Have all the requirements met but that.
If I can play 1080p at 30fps I'll be happy.
So long as it's not all low.

Jawmuncher

Humble Leading Ladies bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Lily Looking Through
  • Ms Splosion Man
  • The Cat Lady
  • Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
TIER 2: 6$
  • Long Live the Queen
  • The Yawgh
TIER 3: 10$
  • Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Holy shit a actual good bundle.
That's a lot just in the 1 tier which is all I need.
Though I would like the yawgh.

derExperte

Is it hard? My only experience with TD was Pixeljunk Monsters, and it made me fearful of ever playing a TD game again. Still traumatized to this day.

I can't put into words how much I hated PixelJunk Monsters at the end. Forget that piece of shit. DQ is an awesome mix of rpg and td, you can replay and level up, approach levels differently while PJM was trial&error and afair choose a difficulty before every battle.

Arthea

Going in for the $1 tier just to get Lily. The Cat Lady looks really ugly.

don't be deceived by looks, the Cat Lady is a great game, the best in $1 tier.

ill just take your word for it.

seriously, it is a great bundle, I can't even see one bad game in it.
And Long Live the Queen is not what it looks, it is one of my favourite games on steam
not favourite waifu or something (><)

I can't put into words how much I hated PixelJunk Monsters at the end. Forget that piece of shit. DQ is an awesome mix of rpg and td, you can replay and level up, approach levels differently while PJM was trial&error and afair choose a difficulty before every battle.

Ok, i'll take your word for it and get in on that $1 bundle.

Now, to decide whether i want ms. explosion man or not. hmm.

Spare

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Cat Lady -- MB-F6EA30B2C5F5CC85 - Taken by Sendou

Azzurri

Wakfu is a pretty awesome F2P tactical MMO. If you like the animated series you'll like this. It has that cartoony look, but it's deep as hell and fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it hard? My only experience with TD was Pixeljunk Monsters, and it made me fearful of ever playing a TD game again. Still traumatized to this day.

You picked literally the worst example of the genre I can think of to base your opinions on as derExperte says...

Defender's Quest isn't really that difficult (and IIRC there is an "easy" mode even). There are some optional bosses later in the game that are difficult at lower levels, but that's it.

I'd definitely try it out at this price, it might change your mind about TD games.

PixelJunk Monsters causes gaming PTSD. It has a terrible, terrible difficulty curve, it's near impossible to plan ahead for the levels without several long retrys, and it requires perfects to continue to advance to new levels. Since you mention it was your only TD pick up a copy of something like Defense Grid to clear the taste out of your mouth.

In all honestly PJM has a few good ideas, and I love the style. But it's a game that just feels fundamentally repetitive in an unfair fashion with how it is designed.

Sober

Holy Christ could they make that page any more confusing? My brain can't process what goes to where and what I should buy for what.

That is such a jumbled pile of crazy.
master collection = all the base games

each separate game collection = that base game + it's expansions/DLCs

There's also an hidden grand master collection which is outdated but includes all the games PRE-Rome2 with all their DLCs, but it's not discounted.

HELP!

Total War (Weekend 25-29) Save 75% off Total War titles, except Rome II
Ref: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/tw_weekend_2014

I haven't played Total War: Shogun 2, is it a game worth playing?

If Yes, Please suggest me the core additions (DLC's)

Shogun 2 is indeed the most polished and balanced, I've found of the recent titles. If Rome 2 were discounted I would recommend it as well, but it isn't. But yes, to stop any drive-bys, it has been patched through the entire year to be a much better game.

Shogun 2 is fine on its own, the DLC is great though, just extra factions with different play styles as well as Rise of the Samurai which is a completely different campaign with entirely different units and tech/research trees.

Other than that, I would also recommend at least also getting Fall of the Samurai, which is 19th century gunpowder/ironclad warfare. Again, all the DLCs for that are extra factions that have slightly different gameplay styles.

If you want to save the most money go Shogun 2/Rise of the Samurai/Fall of the Samurai. Fall is technically standalone but if you own S2 and Fall together or either you download the same game.

I would also wait for the prices to correct, because usually the prices of the collections should also be discounted to 75% off as well. Might just be an error atm.

Annubis

Yes and no.

You can play the game using up to 6 of every class or do the challenge using only 1 of every class.

You can also play the New Game+ which is increased in difficulty.

Overall: OPTIONS !! =)

Much better bundle than I was expecting. When I saw The Cat Lady was going to be part of the bundle my expectations were significantly lowered, I figured the $1 tier would be like The Cat Lady, and Cognition Episodes 1 and 2.

Sober

I managed to skipped Napoleon: Total War. I somewhat enjoyed Empire and Shogun 2. Is Napoleon worth picking up?
Napoleon feels like a more polished Empire. I haven't put a bunch of hours into it but it is indeed better polished but has a smaller campaign (just continental Europe) and fewer factions (France, Britain, Prussia, Russia have campaigns unless you mod them, plus a few more in MP).

I also believe Napoleon is closer to Shogun 2 in terms of mechanics (campaign side) than Empire, or there is more of that there. Also Fall of the Samurai if you haven't played it, which is even more precise gunpowder warfare in Japan. Love, love, love being able to call in off-map artillery strikes in FOTS.

kevin1025

Banned
Wow, 4GB's of VRAM for The Evil Within. That's quite high! Ah well, the other games on the 30th and the 7th (Mordor, Forza Horizon 2, Alien and Costume Quest 2) will be more than enough... and possibly FF XIII, if I'm feeling a little crazy. It's between that and Ethan Carter for me, though I already played 13 hours (irony!) of XIII already and was just shy of the big opening up. The doom state summon battles really sucked the fun out of things, having to lock down luck and strategy many times over. But I'd be willing to give it another chance, mayhaps.

Lain

Humble Leading Ladies bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Lily Looking Through
  • Ms Splosion Man
  • The Cat Lady
TIER 2: 6$
  • Long Live the Queen
  • The Yawgh
TIER 3: 10$
  • Valdis Story: Abyssal City

That's one amazing bundle. I only miss The Yawgh so gonna pass on it, but the rest of the games are all pretty good.

Arthea

hmmm... is it so good?
Isn't just a visual novel with a bit of rpg?
....or am I missing a gem?

it's a bit of a sim, a bit of VN, but mostly it's choices a game, a real gem in my eyes, as that's what we mostly miss in games, branching paths and choices that matter.
Not saying it's a game for everyone but close to it, I call it the real Game of Thrones game ;)

The game has cards, we made sure to enable them and all! Got all my drops already, heh. You can go idling freely but I would rather see people PLAYING the game for a change :p

it has?! I totally plan to play it, just not right now, as I'm in a process of finishing some other games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, 4GB's of VRAM for The Evil Within. That's quite high! Ah well, the other games on the 30th and the 7th (Mordor, Forza Horizon 2, Alien and Costume Quest 2) will be more than enough... and possibly FF XIII, if I'm feeling a little crazy. It's between that and Ethan Carter for me, though I already played 13 hours (irony!) of XIII already and was just shy of the big opening up. The doom state summon battles really sucked the fun out of things, having to lock down luck and strategy many times over. But I'd be willing to give it another chance, mayhaps.

4GB being recommended is in line with what I was expecting as Wolf14 forcibly disables the "Ultra" texture cache option if it detects that your GPU has <3GB VRAM. I think I may soon sell my 2GB 670s on eBay while they're still worth enough to cover the cost of a single 970 (hopefully Lego Indy runs well enough on the 2600K's IGP). I was just going to sell them locally, but I've had no bites on my X360 listing so I don't like my chances of someone being interested in two dated GPUs.

TheLetdown
(Today, 12:43 PM)

Sorry, I had to.

Haha! Set myself up, there.

I'm not understanding the DOTA hype. For some reason, I'm not sure how it's good. It could just be me.

I played the game since it was a mod, from its predecessor in StarCraft to its iteration in Warcraft 3 and its spinoffs like Tides of Blood (which I still think is the best DOTA clone to date, and was better than it for a good while of stagnancy in DOTA), so it's a gameplay style with which I'm really comfortable. That being said, I've played a ton of it and when Dota2 came around, the thrill of PvP in it didn't hold as much of a weight. The vast majority of my logged hours are with highest difficulty bots, which, admittedly, aren't as l33t as playing players, but it felt new and fun to me.

The game, though, truly has transcended itself. To me, it's like saying that you don't understand the hype for FPS or a RTS. The game is no longer the game, and is now a gametype.

It's simply the undeniable
(sorry LoL, you've never been good)
best example of that gametype available. Thus, the "hype."

EDIT: I meant to say, before the coming "Is Valdis Story worth the extra $4.00?" The answer is absolutely, unequivocally YES!

Anteater

I'll just play all those 4gig vram games next year when I have money for a new gpu.

I'll have lightning to keep me company until then :(

kevin1025

Banned
4GB being recommended is in line with what I was expecting as Wolf14 forcibly disables the "Ultra" texture cache option if it detects that your GPU has <3GB VRAM.

It's a bummer since it segments a lot of us from buying, I may end up going for the PS4 version. I was hoping to avoid it since with taxes it's basically a $20 increase on the price (though not as bad as some countries' mark-ups, I'm sure). iD Tech 5 doesn't like us!

derExperte

It's a bummer since it segments a lot of us from buying, I may end up going for the PS4 version. I was hoping to avoid it since with taxes it's basically a $20 increase on the price (though not as bad as some countries' mark-ups, I'm sure). iD Tech 5 doesn't like us!

Definitely wait for impressions, the PS4 version may end up not running perfectly too.

Ozium

PixelJunk Monsters causes gaming PTSD. It has a terrible, terrible difficulty curve, it's near impossible to plan ahead for the levels without several long retrys, and it requires perfects to continue to advance to new levels. Since you mention it was your only TD pick up a copy of something like Defense Grid to clear the taste out of your mouth.

In all honestly PJM has a few good ideas, and I love the style. But it's a game that just feels fundamentally repetitive in an unfair fashion with how it is designed.

This is my experience as well.. I had never played a TD before and all of GAF was preaching that Pixeljunk Monsters was the best game in the genre so I figured why not start w/ the best...

never really touched a TD again.

edit: also DOTA 2 'it's the best moba!" well then I guess mobas are shit

Man these Total War sale prices are all screwed up. They don't even add up properly.

NPkbVMR.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is my experience as well.. I had never played a TD before and all of GAF was preaching that Pixeljunk Monsters was the best game in the genre so I figured why not start w/ the best...

never really touched a TD again.

You need to fix this my friend. My short list of recommendations are:

• Defense Grid
  • Prime World: Defenders
  • Kingdom Rush

These are the ones I've played at least 5 hours of and would recommend on Steam. I hear Defense Grid 2 is also awesome but I haven't picked that one up yet.

Here's my spare

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ScreamingTrees, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Cat Lady -- MB-3543DA5C34DE3DEC - Taken by Jadax. 9 entrants total.

t1411680771z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom