• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdiggit

I've been playing Dead Rising 3 on my Xbox One and I've just not been digging the game at all. It just seems "dull" compared to the first two

They also seem to have forgotten what made Dead Rising 2 good.

The series is about mastery of a space.

Dead Rising 3 is like 'lol yeah so whatever, let's make time management just not a thing at all ok."
Quirky game where you build guns to kill zombies? Fun, but not really what Dead Rising is about, y'know?

Just the opposite for me Dead Rising 3 is the first Dead Rising game I felt like playing more than a couple of hours of.

Dr Dogg

The first bit after the spoiler tag kinda ruins the joke ;)

Well I kind of assume folks in here to have short attention spans and would fly off the handle before reading further :p

Just wait until you get to that level, it will lag and crash and lag and crash and there is nothing you can do.

Does it have problems still? I can remeber reading the old, old SPUF threads and there were lots who couldn't even get the game to start about the time War in the North came out. It put me off buying it on a couple of sales but I eventually got it as part of the Warner Humble Bundle but only just installed it.

Zeliard

I just wish they added an easier way to get Steam to move a game from one drive to another.

Sure, you can manually move the directory to the other drive, and then have Steam reinstall, which works decently. But with games getting up to 30+ GB these days, it takes a considerable amount of time for Steam to check all the files are in order, and for some asinine reason you need twice the space the game takes up available on the drive you are moving it to, or it won't work. I would think it would be simple enough to add a feature in Steam client where it simply copy over the files itself, and then deletes the original.

Use Steam Mover

kiyomi

So I just started up that Lord of the Rings game
you know War in the North (that's two spoiler tagged wind up now)
and considering I played it about a year ago on PS3 it looks and runs loads better on PC. In fact it's quite lightweight that even an old modest PC should be able to get great performance out of it.

I played that game on PS3 as well and I actually really enjoyed it. Mindless hack and slash, and a good palette cleanser.

I have a Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, and PC because I like games and they all have worthwhile exclusives. Some more than others, but it's not really a big investment considering I'll be playing games on those consoles for 6-7 years. Forza Horizon 2's demo was absolutely insane, I've never played an arcade racer that looked that good or had anywhere near the same sense of scale and fun.

Would make a joking comment about being able to do so because I'm not a dirty poor but I just heard back today that the job I thought I had and been preparing to move for was no longer needed. Life sure sucks sometimes, lol.

Cuphead

Banned
I have a Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, and PC because I like games and they all have worthwhile exclusives. Some more than others, but it's not really a big investment considering I'll be playing games on those consoles for 6-7 years. Forza Horizon 2's demo was absolutely insane, I've never played an arcade racer that looked that good or had anywhere near the same sense of scale and fun.

Would make a joking comment about being able to do so because I'm not a dirty poor but I just heard back today that the job I thought I had and been preparing to move for was no longer needed. Life sure sucks sometimes, lol.

Bummer!

Hmm, about the new DSR function... How do you activate it ? Is it done by 'optimizing' games in geforce experience ?

That and you can go to the Nvidia control panel and do it in the global 3D settings too.

dsr-nvidia-control-panel-scaling-factors-640px.jpg

That way you can just set whatever resolution you want in the game's respective ingame settings. Also mind the smoothness settings below.

Does anyone else have an issue with the Nvidia Control Panel where going into the manage 3d settings for games takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute upon first opening it?

Dr Dogg

I wonder how many VNs someone could play on the same screen at the same time? It's not like they are resource hogs or anything.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else the Xbox One avatars are amazing. Motherfucking shark in a suit

Maybe it has for me too, and I just started noticing it in the past few months. Not really a big deal, but obviously not desirable.

Like direct Facebook links you need to screen shot what you want others to see.

I've been playing Dead Rising 3 on my Xbox One and I've just not been digging the game at all. It just seems "dull" compared to the first two
Boring, lack of any difficulty, overly serious and insultingly condescending among many other shortcomings. Lowpoint of the franchise by a country mile.

I haven't played DR3, but it seems that Blue Castle Games forgot what made Dead Rising 1 so awesome.

It's such a weird balance between mechanics, style, quirkiness, and gameplay elements that I can see why it would be hard to master.
The favorite element of Dead Rising 1 for me personally is how it doesn't shy away from screwing the player over. AT ALL. There's even a moment where you'll literally be laughed at for messing something up, which is great.

Even if 3 didn't have the "Dead Rising" name attached to it though, it'd still be an awful game. Plagued by design flaws everywhere you look.

Is it worth playing Dead Rising 1 before DR 2 if I haven't played either of them?
Yes. They're both stand-alone experiences and 1 is admittedly cumbersome in a few ways - be sure to switch how gun aim works in the Options menu - but it's a wholly unique and challenging experience with how deliberate its overall design is, with hardly any room for compromises that deviate from its vision. Which is fine, because either game is meant to be replayed repeatedly if you do fuck up early (which you will) thanks to character progress carrying over.

Buy Dead Rising 2 on PC, though. DR1 runs fine on 360 but 2's performance is ass on consoles.

I plan on starting with NIghtmare mode as well, because Dead Rising should not exist without that overall clock looming and the time management aspect.
Don't bother with Nightmare Mode. Nothing becomes all that much more threatening, the time management aspect is imbalanced because they didn't design the missions with proper overlap like in DR1 and 2, plus the developers didn't even have the decency to mark god damn save points on the mini-map despite said restrooms being the only way to save your progress. Shallow afterthought through and through; Nightmare Mode does nothing more but make an already frustrating game even more aggrivating.

Milamber

I wonder how many VNs someone could play on the same screen at the same time? It's not like they are resource hogs or anything.

2D ones are quite easy to stack, as long you got the ram. but some of them auto pause if they lose focus, also sound gets disabled depending on priority of specific games.

3D ones are a whole other ballpark, JP developers are not very good in the optimization stage. You'd be pretty lucky getting even 4 major VN's to run simultaneously. Forget sound.

Anustart

Been playing more final fantasy 7. Haven't gone through this since the 90s.

Man, some of this writing is just terrible. I lold when I get to gongaga, walk in house, "Hey, our missing son once dated a girl, are you that girl?"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
2D ones are quite easy to stack, as long you got the ram. but some of them auto pause if they lose focus, also sound gets disabled depending on priority of specific games.

3D ones are a whole other ballpark, JP developers are not very good in the optimization stage. You'd be pretty lucky getting even 4 major VN's to run simultaneously. Forget sound.
This should be a new target for high spec pcs to hit.

Dr Dogg

Well I'm sure they're mainly CPU tied so a dual socket Xeon board with 2 12 core plus Hyperthreaded CPUs could eat a load for breakfast. That and about 5 grand.

totalbiscuit and pewdiepie threads are the worst on gaf, people rather talk about those dudes than the actual fucking games.

Let me guess Alien Isolation gameplay vid? What's it like anywho?

Anteater

Let me guess Alien Isolation gameplay vid? What's it like anywho?

haha yea, the video actually doesn't show much about the gameplay, it's basically the introduction of the game, giving some background story and exploring the ship for a few minutes, it looks good and visually pretty faithful to its source material, but it stopped after 20mins when I think he actually got to the actual game.

edit: i forgot they're not the original crew on the Nostromo >_>

So I picked up Fable Anniversary partly because Fable: The Lost Chapters decided to mysteriously stop working even though I've played it for half an hour previously but mostly because I'm kind of lazy and didn't want to spend much time futzing about trying to fix it.

First off Fable Anniversary works horrendously with a mouse and keyboard, which is weird because The Lost Chapters just sorta worked. The new menu system in Anniversary is also pretty clunky to navigate, even with a controller (using a wired Xbox 360 pad still). The upside is Anniversary looks a little prettier and it runs when I click launch in the Steam client.

Vuze

Praise be GabeN. I think I'll sell it - what do you think? Individual cards are going for about 0.25€ each, booster for 1.15€.
f41e0bd6b3.png

dot

totalbiscuit and pewdiepie threads are the worst on gaf, people rather talk about those dudes than the actual fucking games.

Seriously, it's really annoying. So what if you don't like a certain youtuber? People need to get over it.

I have to actively avoid those kind of threads since it's just literally a wall of negativity with people complaining over a person.

I did enter that particular thread though since i was curious what the game looked like. It actually looks kinda good!

So, yeah, I started Thief 2014 earlier in the week, but it wasn't really "clicking" with me. Regardless, I was going to try and push through just so I can say I completed it.

Then I got a cold.

It's been a few days since I last played it and I have absolutely no desire to go back to it. Is there anything redeeming about the last half of the game (I finished up through chapter 4)? To me, it was like they took the part of Dishonored that I hated (stealth with no real options to fight back when caught. Saving often and reloading when caught, etc.) and then added AI on the spectrum of brain-dead to full Terminator mode.

The back-tracking and constant mini-animations (opening a window, etc.) really broke the flow of the game and made it feel like a chore to me.

So, SteamGAF, what say you? Should I try to complete it, or just skip it, uninstall and prep for Shadow of Mordor?

Mordeccai

My buddy just dropped $20 on Gauntlet. I ask him how the game is, because to me it looks like a poor mans diablo without loot. He responds that the combat is much more in depth than D3 because you have to 'dodge enemies.'

I'm just kind of reeling from that statement. I kind of wish he had bought Reaper of Souls instead of Gauntlet if he wanted a hack and slash.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Any impressions on Gauntlet? From the Giant Bomb quick look I saw, it looks like you are limited to your basic mapped attacks (except for the wizard) and there looks to be little enemy variety, and all the environments look fairly drab. Is grinding for gold to level up your relics the 'end game'?

Turfster

So, SteamGAF, what say you? Should I try to complete it, or just skip it, uninstall and prep for Shadow of Mordor?

I gave up at the
very tepid retread of the asylum.
From what I've heard, it only gets worse from there, and it was a shitstorm to start with, so...

No fighting back in... Dishonored?

I think he meant to add a ) after stealth.
There's no fighting back in Thi4f (which isn't really a problem for a good stealth game, but then, Thi4f is not a good stealth game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom