• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Steam barely benefits from being installed on an SSD, so I moved it off to avoid the hassle with preloads (until they fixed that recently).

You can choose any drive for pre-loads now, I was able to select my storage drive for Shadow of Mordor.

I will move it back to my SSD once it has been released, have freed up some space and moving Steam games is now as easy as drag and drop.

speaking of pre orders of digital items, I don't see the point of them unless you're going to offer me a discounted price since the whole point of pre orders is to guarantee me a copy, which isn't a problem with digital games.

Well, if you're interested in whatever it is, you're getting DLC that will cost you money later (if it's ever available outside the preorder bonus) which makes the price of the game less.

Like if they're going to charge 4.99 or more for the Mordor pre-order content and you get it free, that's like you paid $5 less for the game if you were going to buy both anyway.

Tellaerin

Came across this while going through my Groupees keys. I think it's still unused, since I already redeemed a copy from another bundle and I don't see any record of me giving this one away.

I spent about an hour messing with the game last night. It's no Gradius V or Thunderforce, but it's not horrible as Western-style shmups go, once you've powered up a couple of the weapons a bit. (The weedy pew-pew lasers were initially a bit of a turnoff, but it got to feeling a lot better once I grabbed a few pickups.)

Oh, and it's got cards, for folks who care about that kind of thing. : )

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tellaerin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Power-Up -- MB-41F2A86E3FFBE786 - Taken by Benedict. 1 entrants total.

t1411931282z1.png

Grief.exe

I just wish they added an easier way to get Steam to move a game from one drive to another.

Sure, you can manually move the directory to the other drive, and then have Steam reinstall, which works decently. But with games getting up to 30+ GB these days, it takes a considerable amount of time for Steam to check all the files are in order, and for some asinine reason you need twice the space the game takes up available on the drive you are moving it to, or it won't work. I would think it would be simple enough to add a feature in Steam client where it simply copy over the files itself, and then deletes the original.

You actually don't even need to do that.

Just move the folder over (steamapps/common/Banished) then move over the corresponding .acf file (steamapps/appmanifest_242920.acf)

pre-order incentives on digital games are to ensure that the publisher sells a copy :p
Yea I know but I've never pre ordered a digital game on steam cause I get x item. Last time I pre ordered a game for pre order bonuses was littlebigplanet one back when I was in high school. Regretted it; it wasn't a bad game, its one of my games of the generation but that pre order bonus sucked. 2 games I pre ordered on steam was shadow of mordor(cause I got it for like 20 something thanks to them Russian prices) and revengance cause it got a nice discount before release

Cheddahz

Banned
I've been playing Dead Rising 3 on my Xbox One and I've just not been digging the game at all. It just seems "dull" compared to the first two

Deitus

You actually don't even need to do that.

Just move the folder over (steamapps/common/Banished) then move over the corresponding .acf file (steamapps/appmanifest_242920.acf)

Oh, yeah that sounds much easier. Guess I'll have to do that next time.

Still don't know why they don't automate that though.

Tizoc

Yo dawg Raiden III ain't that bad!
It may not have many emulation features but I had blast playing it and nearly finished stage 1 without dieing haha

Dr Dogg

I just don't understand why anyone would install steam on their SSD if they had another drive they wanted Steam games to be installed to most of the time...

Some functions of Steam do benefit from being on a SSD and In Home Streaming gets a nice bump. Most of the store features won't being an internet based service but I always used to install Steam on to a SSD and junction off the SteamApps, UserData and DeoptCache folders to a mechanical drive to save space. Now I just set up a library folder to where ever, easy peasy.

Tellaerin

Yo dawg Raiden III ain't that bad!
It may not have many emulation features but I had blast playing it and nearly finished stage 1 without dieing haha

Nice! Always liked the Raiden games, so I'll have to wishlist that.

Now that SNK seems to be giving the PC some love, I'm hoping NeoGeo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting will show up on Steam one of these days...

Well, if you're interested in whatever it is, you're getting DLC that will cost you money later (if it's ever available outside the preorder bonus) which makes the price of the game less.

Like if they're going to charge 4.99 or more for the Mordor pre-order content and you get it free, that's like you paid $5 less for the game if you were going to buy both anyway.
You could look at it that way but its always useless shit or if its anything significant personally I'd just wait till the inevitable goty version

Vuze

Should've gotten a ps4 so you could play infamous instead :(
Not sure if irony, but isn't inFamous supposed to be incredibly repetitive as well?

-

Also, The Vanishing of Ethan Cartman is 3spooky5me.
I can barely handle this level or eerie-ness and the locations the chose don't help much lol.
I just hope there won't be any jump scares or spooky ghosts in the
mines
. That
ghost encounter at the tent before the graveyard
got me way too much already.

DocSeuss

Some functions of Steam do benefit from being on a SSD and In Home Streaming gets a nice bump. Most of the store features won't being an internet based service but I always used to install Steam on to a SSD and junction off the SteamApps, UserData and DeoptCache folders to a mechanical drive to save space. Now I just set up a library folder to where ever, easy peasy.

How do you do this?

Levyne

Banned
I just don't understand why anyone would install steam on their SSD if they had another drive they wanted Steam games to be installed to most of the time...

Never had this problem.
Steam and Origin have been installed to my 3TB "Steam" drive since day 1. :p

Wasn't really a problem until game sizes started ballooning :(

Grief.exe

I've been playing Dead Rising 3 on my Xbox One and I've just not been digging the game at all. It just seems "dull" compared to the first two

I haven't played DR3, but it seems that Blue Castle Games forgot what made Dead Rising 1 so awesome.

It's such a weird balance between mechanics, style, quirkiness, and gameplay elements that I can see why it would be hard to master.

Oh, yeah that sounds much easier. Guess I'll have to do that next time.

Still don't know why they don't automate that though.

It seems that Valve is slowly implementing QOL improvements that have been requested for years. We already have a few and this may be the next one.

Should've gotten a ps4 so you could play infamous instead :(

Replace mediocre game A with mediocre game B.

How do you do this?

Settings > Download > Steam Library Folders.

Wasn't really a problem until game sizes started ballooning :(

I welcome the massive increase in textures the current-generation of consoles have brought upon us.

Saty

Last week's Top 10: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/155341/steam-top-10
1.Life is Feudal
2.Valve Complete Pack
3.Wasteland 2
4.Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor - Premium Edition
5.Stonghold Crusader 2
6.Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
7.Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor
8.Gauntlet
9.DayZ
10.Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Dunno which is more surprising, LIF at #1 or that there are still so many people who don't own most of Valve's games.

DocSeuss

I haven't played DR3, but it seems that Blue Castle Games forgot what made Dead Rising 1 so awesome.

They also seem to have forgotten what made Dead Rising 2 good.

The series is about mastery of a space.

Dead Rising 3 is like 'lol yeah so whatever, let's make time management just not a thing at all ok."

Quirky game where you build guns to kill zombies? Fun, but not really what Dead Rising is about, y'know?

Settings > Download > Steam Library Folders.

That affects UserData and DepotCache as well? I thought it just did Steamapps.

Dr Dogg

How do you do this?

Symlinking and junction points or adding new library folders? The former is quite easy to do but might take a bit of explanation on the syntax but adding new library folders is as easy as opening up Settings in the client and selecting the Downloads section then click Steam Library Folders and then you can add new ones as you want.

DocSeuss

Wha--what is this nonsense? I'm surrounded by crazy people. Second son is the best infamous yo. And by now you can get it for like what, $30?

Yeah, but why buy a console that only has one game worth playing on it when you could get an Xbox One that has Dead Rising 3 (which is good despite its shortcomings), Forza Horizon 2, etc? I've got farrrr more games on my One than my PS4.

Symlinking and junction points or adding new library folders? The former is quite easy to do but might take a bit of explanation on the syntax but adding new library folders is as easy as opening up Settings in the client and selecting the Downloads section then click Steam Library Folders and then you can add new ones as you want.

I already know how to do the one, but not the other.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall Steam, reinstall it on my SSD (which only has about a gig of space left before it goes into the red), and just point it to my old Steam library directory. But I'm not sure of a quick way to just scan everything I've got in the folder (1.6TB of games). I'd rather not reinstall on a case-by-case basis.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. I won't be PC Gaming much for the next few weeks. :(

Cheddahz

Banned
It's such a weird balance between mechanics, style, quirkiness, and gameplay elements that I can see why it would be hard to master.
You see? That's what I love about the first one. It's like a b-rated horror movie and nails everything right. I somewhat liked the second one, but you could tell that they were moving away from what made DR1 so special

I'm just glad I only spent $10 to get DR3 (about to go trade it in for double).
I couldn't get into it, played it from ps+, i think the only sony games i liked were the uncharted games and gran turismo
I haven't really liked Sony exclusives since the PS2 (I'm one of those crazy people that wants them to re-visit PS1 first party games) and that's kinda why I went with an Xbox One, since I like the direction they are going in with their exclusives (they are sticking to their big titles and they are getting a good number of niche games as well). I know the Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4, but you buy a console to play games on it and it does that perfectly (and if I actually cared about specs and what not, I would had just upgraded my computer)

DocSeuss

You see? That's what I love about the first one. It's like a b-rated horror movie and nails everything right. I somewhat liked the second one, but you could tell that they were moving away from what made DR1 so special

I haven't really liked Sony exclusives since the PS2 (I'm one of those crazy people that wants them to re-visit PS1 first party games) and that's kinda why I went with an Xbox One, since I like the direction they are going in with their exclusives (they are sticking to their big titles and they are getting a good number of niche games as well). I know the Xbox One isn't as powerful as the PS4, but you buy a console to play games on it and it does that perfectly (and if I actually cared about specs and what not, I would had just upgraded my computer)

I never understood the love for DR1. It was a neat, but flawed idea with some frustrating, unfun combat.

DR2 did all the things DR1 did, but expanded on it and made fights more tolerable.

I reaaally hope you got Horizon 2. That demo has me pumped far more than I thought I could be.

Cuphead

Banned
Be glad you can pick the drive these days.
The larger games became, the more it became a chore to fiddle around with drives and junctions to actually be able to preload since it used to always just dump it on your steam directory drive ;)

Gotta love joining the master race late!

:D

I am not a fan at all!

Driving back and forth constantly was so tedious.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Ikaruga -- MB-6CC5EE43B51C7123 - Taken by Zeeman. 74 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-9348219693798FEB - Taken by Jadax. 61 entrants total.

t1411935662z1.png

Grief.exe

Wha--what is this nonsense? I'm surrounded by crazy people. Second son is the best infamous yo. And by now you can get it for like what, $30?

That is fine to like the game, I am just pointing out that both Infamous and Dead Rising 3 will probably be forgotten about as we move forward.

They also seem to have forgotten what made Dead Rising 2 good.

The series is about mastery of a space.

Dead Rising 3 is like 'lol yeah so whatever, let's make time management just not a thing at all ok."

Quirky game where you build guns to kill zombies? Fun, but not really what Dead Rising is about, y'know?

Makes me yearn for a Dead Rising 1 port even more, though I am excited to give OTR a shot once GFWL is removed.

Yeah, but why buy a console that only has one game worth playing on it when you could get an Xbox One that has Dead Rising 3 (which is good despite its shortcomings), Forza Horizon 2, etc? I've got farrrr more games on my One than my PS4.
Hmm... Nope I'm not seeing these good games your talking about. Only interesting one is DR3 and that's on PC. And don't bring up what's coming up later cause our boy the ps4 also got dem GAHEMZZ

Turfster

Gotta love joining the master race late!
I remember when Steam was a chess game!

;)

If you install Dead Island Epidemic now, you retain it after the weekend is over.
If, you know, you'd want that. I guess it was a free weekend of the closed beta?

Mac Game Store has Europa Universalis IV 75% off

Dr Dogg

I already know how to do the one, but not the other.

I'm wondering if I should uninstall Steam, reinstall it on my SSD (which only has about a gig of space left before it goes into the red), and just point it to my old Steam library directory. But I'm not sure of a quick way to just scan everything I've got in the folder (1.6TB of games). I'd rather not reinstall on a case-by-case basis.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. I won't be PC Gaming much for the next few weeks. :(

Well it's useful to know just for basic PC maintenance. I don't have my system Users folder eating the space away on my OS drive as I'd run out of storage space in not time so I create a NTFS junction point to a separate drive so the OS still thinks it exists where it should be but it's actually sat somewhere else. I sent Tizoc a simple and brief guide a while back so I'll PM it over to you.

Basically when you move something like the depotcache or userdata folders you want to be starting with data and not without as all the hooks are there. What you do it cut away what you want to move to the new location and then create a symbolic link or junction point back to where it should be naturally.

If it's just games themselves you want to move the best thing to use is GameSave Manager as it will do exactly the same thing but not have to get your hands dirty using a command prompt. The GUI makes it easy to find and select the destination of what you want to move.

Is it worth playing Dead Rising 1 before DR 2 if I haven't played either of them?

Sure, if you have access to it.
But it's not really necessary. Since it's a different main character, the only thing you need to know from the first one is that it happened and the world is dealing with containing outbreaks (and the existence of zombrex which will prevent a bitten person from turning so long as it's administered every x hours).

Deitus

I don't think it's so much that they forgot. They were very clearly trying to broaden the appeal of the series with the changes they made to the game. Whether that was something they chose to do on their own, or if it was a mandate from Capcpom or Microsoft, it's hard to say. There's a decent case to be made that either of the three could have made that call.

But the problem, (aside from the fact that they dumbed down a cult favorite series to appeal to a new audience) is that for everything they took out or changed from the series, they didn't replace it with anything meaningful. The blame for that lies solely on Blue Castle. As someone who hadn't been able to get into the previous games in the series, it was really frustrating that when the aspects that put me off were removed all that was left was collectathons, fetch quests, and senseless slaughter (at least the senseless slaughter was entertaining though).

I'm not even going to get into the story, because ultimately there's nothing of worth there.

It seems that Valve is slowly implementing QOL improvements that have been requested for years. We already have a few and this may be the next one.

I certainly hope so. It's good to see them finally making improvements (and there have been a number recently to be fair), but you still have to wonder what took them so long for some of these features.

Anteater

I don't really think it's that weird, I didn't really play a lot of games during the psx era because I couldn't afford it but games back then were a lot more "gamey" than what we have today, especially sony exclusives tend to go for the "cinematic experience" kind of games now.

Not that it would change your gripes about the gameplay itself, but DR3 on Xbone doesn't seem like the best idea ever... yes, let's play the game at sub-30 fps! (I'm still laughing that one of their "huge" exclusives came out and ran that poorly for "next-gen". Granted, I'm not sure if the PC version has had enough patches to fix some of the crashes and such, but it's still probably a better place to play if you're going to do it (I'm still waiting a bit to make sure the drivers and crashes are all ironed out, myself). I plan on starting with NIghtmare mode as well, because Dead Rising should not exist without that overall clock looming and the time management aspect.

Also, didn't you cancel your WiiU preorder to get a PS4 for Destiny? Did you change and go to Xbone instead?

Finally -- what does MS have with a direction on exclusives? D4, which is selling like shit and they aren't really marketing? Tomb Raider 2013 2, where it's an exclusive for 6 months or whatever because of MS money hatting? DR3 is on PC already, Ryse is coming soon, and then you have MCC which is rumoured to be headed to PC eventually too. There's a few other games that look interesting, but they're not first party, so the likelihood of PC ports still looms as well.

DocSeuss

Hmm... Nope I'm not seeing these good games your talking about. Only interesting one is DR3 and that's on PC. And don't bring up what's coming up later cause our boy the ps4 also got dem GAHEMZZ

I'm not really sure "already installed on my console for a Tuesday launch" counts as later. Right now, the Xbox One/PC looks like the way to go, easily.

(That said, I really hope Microsoft re-releases Zoo Tycoon's PC versions on Steam)

My PS4, so far, looks like a three-game console. Infamous, Destiny, Bloodborne. I almost regret the purchase. Could have put that money into a second GTX 970.

Well it's useful to know just for basic PC maintenance. I don't have my system Users folder eating the space away on my OS drive as I'd run out of storage space in not time so I create a NTFS junction point to a separate drive so the OS still thinks it exists where it should be but it's actually sat somewhere else. I sent Tizoc a simple and brief guide a while back so I'll PM it over to you.

Basically when you move something like the depotcache or userdata folders you want to be starting with data and not without as all the hooks are there. What you do it cut away what you want to move to the new location and then create a symbolic link or junction point back to where it should be naturally.

If it's just games themselves you want to move the best thing to use is GameSave Manager as it will do exactly the same thing but not have to get your hands dirty using a command prompt. The GUI makes it easy to find and select the destination of what you want to move.

I have like 20GB of saves I'd like to move as well.

xBladeM6x

Turns out you can set framerate caps by intervals of 5 on Nvidia Inspector for individual games. This is nice to know for games that don't like to stay within 10 FPS of 60, like Watch Dogs (no matter how powerful your setup). Now I can just max it out and lock it to 40 so there's no fluctuations.

Cheddahz

Banned
Not that it would change your gripes about the gameplay itself, but DR3 on Xbone doesn't seem like the best idea ever... yes, let's play the game at sub-30 fps! (I'm still laughing that one of their "huge" exclusives came out and ran that poorly for "next-gen". Granted, I'm not sure if the PC version has had enough patches to fix some of the crashes and such, but it's still probably a better place to play if you're going to do it (I'm still waiting a bit to make sure the drivers and crashes are all ironed out, myself). I plan on starting with NIghtmare mode as well, because Dead Rising should not exist without that overall clock looming and the time management aspect.

Also, didn't you cancel your WiiU preorder to get a PS4 for Destiny? Did you change and go to Xbone instead?

Finally -- what does MS have with a direction on exclusives? D4, which is selling like shit and they aren't really marketing? Tomb Raider 2013 2, where it's an exclusive for 6 months or whatever because of MS money hatting? DR3 is on PC already, Ryse is coming soon, and then you have MCC which is rumored to be headed to PC eventually too. There's a few other games that look interesting, but they're not first party, so the likelihood of PC ports still looms as well.
1) If I actually gave a fuck about the framerate issue, I would had shelled out the money for the "superior" PC version that people have been having issues with, but I decided to get the inferior version for $10 instead and I'm glad I went that route (because I really did not just enjoy it). If you're saying that I would had gotten more enjoyment out of it because I should had gotten the PC version, than you're wrong, because the game is going to be same no matter what system or machine or whatever you play it on
2) I've had my Wii U for a while now and I ended up canceling my PS4 pre-order for the Xbox One (and so far, I'm glad I went that route and took advantage of the deal a few weeks ago to already have a good number of games to play on it)
3) From the looks of Tokyo Game Show, the Xbox One looks like it'll be the shmup machine (again), Killer Instinct is dope and is probably one of my favorite 2D fighting games in years and is far better than the original ones, Scalebound and Phantom Dust should be coming in a year or so and those games have me far more excitied than what's coming out on the PS4 (I really don't give two shits about another fucking Dark Souls game and I've never been big on Uncharted), Forza Horizon 2 comes out in less than two days and it looks like it'll be the racing game of the year (Sure, Driveclub looks nicer, but it looks "dull") and lastly, while these games could be coming out to the PC in the near future, I don't really play games on my computer that much anymore (hell, the only games I've really played on it in the last year are FFXIV, NBA 2K14, and Counter Strike) and I'm just not really in the mood to upgrade to play games on it that I could just easily play on a console (cause you know, I don't really give a shit about specs or whatever, I bought a console to play games on it, not judge how it runs or whatever)

Dr Dogg

So I just started up that Lord of the Rings game
you know War in the North (that's two spoiler tagged wind up now)
and considering I played it about a year ago on PS3 it looks and runs loads better on PC. In fact it's quite lightweight that even an old modest PC should be able to get great performance out of it.

I have like 20GB of saves I'd like to move as well.

Same theory should work though GameSave Manager for backing up and syncing would be my preferred option as it does everything for you. In fact anyone who ever plays a Ubisoft title should use GameSave Manager.

So I just started up that Lord of the Rings game
you know War in the North (that's two spoiler tagged wind up now)
and considering I played it about a year ago on PS3 it looks and runs loads better on PC. In fact it's quite lightweight that even an old modest PC should be able to get great performance.

Just wait until you get to that level, it will lag and crash and lag and crash and there is nothing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom