• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
YYCUctG.png

... oh... okay... :(

I guess I'll go do some Greenlight voting:

Wzll1km.png

... oh... okay... :(

Gvaz

Banned
pretty sure it does as i have pictures

I can't get it to work :(

edit: alan wake and fraps and the overlay does NOT work. Turn off fraps and the overlay pops right up. UGH. I need my fucking FPS overlay that doesn't get captured in screenshots.

Zabi

Banned
How long did that take you?

How long it takes mostly depends on how jaded you are and how specific your tastes in games is. Over 90% of the time when I was flipping through stuff it took me only a few seconds to determine a game wasn't worthwhile and so I click "Not Interested" and move onto the next one.

Edit:

Damn, you must have seen some shit.

I can say from experience that going through Greenlight is a very illuminating experience. Every Steam user should do it.

It's not how driving through bushes works either.
It's an arcade racer silly.

How much is the upgrade from PS+ version to full retail?
$49.99

someone decided to derail the mordor hype train by talking about how they were going to be playing Forza Horizon 2 tomorrow instead of M-E™:SoM™.
I didn't start it :p Will be playing both anyway. Although I'll have to drop Mordor™ to 240P on my lowly 780ti.

Shadownet

Banned
Does anyone know how to fix the dithering problem in Witcher 2? it seem like the dithering is making the shadow look really grainy in the game.
Not my picture but it seem like quite a few people have this problem.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just pretend a wizard cast a spell preventing you from playing the game.

Boom. Fantasy bullshit sated for the night.

xBladeM6x

Is there any business savvy reason for region locking? I know to consumers it's total bullshit, but I'm curious to know how this helps anyone make money from a business perspective.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so Mordor this week, Alien next week, Evil Within in 2 weeks

is that it for "big" releases this year since GTA5 is january?

I guess Advanced Warfare in november, and Dragon Age on origin (sadface)

Is there any business savvy reason for region locking? I know to consumers it's total bullshit, but I'm curious to know how this helps anyone make money from a business perspective.

serious question? it keeps people from buying new releases half price from russia? what other business reason do you want?

Is it possible you're getting 2.9 MBps, which is 23.2Mbps, which is basically saturating your connection? Steam typically reports in megabytes rather than megabits.

Steam reports in mbs.

Mbps =/= mbs.

25 mbps = about 3 mbs

I guess that'll explain it, not sure why I thought otherwise. Thanks.

Fianl Fantasy XIII? Civilization: Beyond Earth.

Russian traders don't sell these codes at a loss, ya know. They take advantage of the regional differences in pricing and then those codes end up in territories they were never meant to be sold in.

So either all territories in the world have the same price regardless of incomes or economic conditions or regional pricing variation with region locking.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

How doesn't it help the company make money?

xBladeM6x

serious question? it keeps people from buying new releases half price from russia? what other business reason do you want?

Russian traders don't sell these codes at a loss, ya know. They take advantage of the regional differences in pricing and then those codes end up in territories they were never meant to be sold in.

So either all territories in the world have the same price regardless of incomes or economic conditions or regional pricing variation with region locking.

How doesn't it help the company make money?

Thought so, thanks.

Probably because they're making less money per sale when someone buys a game through a trader.

To be fair, I never gave this one thing too much thought, that's why I asked. However if it's so understood as to why this happens, why do consumers treat it like it's an unfair business practice?

madjoki

Region locking is kinda two edged sword, I have ended up buying more since discovering trading and earlier (pre-order instead of waiting for sales).
Then there's those who buy at any price, but of course pick cheapest price even from shady sites selling gifts.

I have an unredeemed gift on my inventory that has no region locking notice yet. Any chances they didn't make it retroactive?:c

It's retroactive lock. I'd imagine it takes time to show/update.

Zabi

Banned

Its all about international copyright law or whatever the heck the term is. For example, Hulu is a service for the US and so it is region locked. If a person in in the UK were to watch something on Hulu, they'd be committing piracy because they'd be accessing copyright material they do not legally have access to.

To be fair, I never gave this one thing too much thought, that's why I asked. However if it's so understood as to why this happens, why do consumers treat it like it's an unfair business practice?

Because consumers always want the lowest price, and if someone else gets a lower price, then it is seen as not being fair.

The construct of Loss Aversion comes into play, which is explained very well in the link.

People think that if someone else can pay less (regardless of income, whatever), that they're getting a bad deal.

Its all about international copyright law or whatever the heck the term is. For example, Hulu is a service for the US and so it is region locked. If a person in in the UK were to watch something on Hulu, they'd be committing piracy because they'd be accessing copyright material they do not legally have access to.

This is quite different. Region locking here is just implementing regional price variations. With content, the reasons for region locking may have more to do with what entity owns the broadcast rights in a given territory. Different things.

xBladeM6x

I think this example shows more of a flaw in international copyright laws, than it does region locking. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The perception is that by pricing goods differently in different territories, companies are able to profit from an increasingly globalized marketplace without passing the benefit to consumers. This applies for both digital and physical goods. For example, a textbook company might sell a textbook in India for ~$20 USD and the same textbook in the US for $150 USD.

The challenge is that there's no solution that benefits everyone:

- If you sell for one price globally, you essentially write off developing markets, markets with a strong cultural norm of piracy, etc. Bad for publisher, bad for consumers in those markets, "fair" but not necessarily good for everyone else.

- If you sell for prices that differ based on the market, you gain consumers in each market, but are unfair to premium-priced markets, and furthermore are going to be subject to attempts to circumvent that market-based pricing, including that potentially many or all of your high-priced customers underpay by a margin that exceeds the profit gained by entering developing markets.

- If you use technical measures to prevent such actions, you preserve your intended regional pricing, but risk alienating a small but dedicated group of customers who feel strongly that such practices are unfair.

DocSeuss

Uh... well, Steam's letting me install Shadow of Mordor, which I got via Russia...

Here's what that is:

Sony goes "I want to show this movie, but I don't speak Norwegian!"

Some Company and Sony work out a deal to show the film in Norway.

Sony puts the video online.

But oh no, Some Company has the rights to that film in Norway, and Sony does not! Sony must prevent access to that film in Norway or else risk violating their agreement.

What needs to happen is that these companies retain digital distribution rights, so those companies only do stuff like print the DVDs with translated covers and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom