• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I liked Dragon Age 2

fuck all of youse! #thatsright

Well then I'd wonder why when that was noticed on Gauntlet they didn't lock Shadow of Mordor at the same time. I'd also contend that a large portion of those last minue sales are people who had been on the fence, heard the good buzz, and decided to go ahead and bite on the cheap price. I know I almost bought a RU copy and there's an absolutely zero percent chance I'd ever buy (or especially pre-order) the title at full price, and chances are the price I do end up paying in six months or a year will be even lower. And while the one day blip might be noticeable, in the grand scheme it's still small and will certainly be dwarfed by day one of the first steam sale it has.

I'm not saying I think it was wrong for the game to be locked, and I'd understand a lock right before a big sale for example. But the whole "unlocked for months of pre-orders and locked on release day" just seems weird to me, like it was planned.

Well, pretty easy to see the upcoming future where most games get region locked from the beginning as most of the BST thread and much of the steam thread is recommendations on traders and a good part of the conversation on pricing is in keys.

But you bring up an interesting point. You (and many others like you) will never buy at full price.

An interesting number to look at would be the % of people that bought the Premium Edition because it was 10% off regardless of being the higher priced product.

They'll also be able to look and see if the region lock hurt sales once it was put in place.

And finally, see how many codes GMG sold with their discounts.

Anyways, lots of stuff for the number crunchers to work on.

DocSeuss

I have a weird problem with family sharing.

I have three friends who are sharing their accounts with me. At random, I'll log into Steam and find that only one friend, M, can play with me, while R and F's accounts are not visible on my games list.

At other times, I will log in to find R and F, discovering that that M's games are no longer showing in my list.

Apparently, when I can only see M, neither R nor F can see me. When I can see R and F, M cannot see me.

Smash88

Banned
Well I posted my performance in the performance PC thread for shadow of mordor. Kind of scared for ultra quality textures, as that's not even in yet :/

Frames even with my Titan aren't stable.

Nabs

Well I posted my performance in the performance PC thread for shadow of mordor. Kind of scared for ultra quality textures, as that's not even in yet :/

Frames even with my Titan aren't stable.

steam://install/311670/ try that and check your DLC tab

Lomax

Well, pretty easy to see the upcoming future where most games get region locked from the beginning as most of the BST thread and much of the steam thread is recommendations on traders and a good part of the conversation on pricing is in keys.

But you bring up an interesting point. You (and many others like you) will never buy at full price.

An interesting number to look at would be the % of people that bought the Premium Edition because it was 10% off regardless of being the higher priced product.

They'll also be able to look and see if the region lock hurt sales once it was put in place.

And finally, see how many codes GMG sold with their discounts.

Anyways, lots of stuff for the number crunchers to work on.

I think this game was a somewhat unique case because it went from sort of cautious hype to super hype almost overnight when the reviews hit, which caused a surge in interest from people who wouldn't normally consider pre-ordering. Those people look for the best price and got their hype from forums, so a larger percentage are probably inclined towards the gray market.

Honestly though, I've never understood why any game that has regions where the price is half or lower aren't fully locked from the beginning, it seems the most logical setup from a business standpoint.

Turfster

Hah.
Took them long enough to lock Mordor.
(Yes, I know, the theories make sense, but it's not like they couldn't have foreseen it for this game ;)

On the 75% off or more pile it goes.
(Yes, I wasn't all that interested in it to start with, looks too much like asscrud)

Shadownet

Banned
I hate you guys who are playing it right now :3 Restarted Steam 3 times now and I still can't get in. Mine is "Unpacking" apparently. Taking around 28 mins.

Zafir

You gotta be kidding. Been wanting to play it all night and they decide to unlock it at 5am when I'm going to be sleeping soon? :(

Deitus

I was in such a groove in Crypt of the Necrodancer (Hardcore mode is no joke) that I didn't even notice Shadow™ of™ Mordor™ unlocked. Whoops.

I'm decrypting the download now, but I probably should not stay up to play it tonight. Guess I'll have to slay some orcs tomorrow then. Hope you guys (those that got it anyway) enjoy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
bought Mordor

not going to download it. #fighttheman

more like #waitfornewcomputertoplayit :(

am looking forward for mordor-gate vram stories tho

baterism

Wut, Civ BE price in Indonesia just jump $10 to around $42 similar to EU price. Darn, I should got it last week when it was $32.
The hell 2K? No warning at all. How about other SEA prices?

Zafir

Ergh, it isn't even unpacking. It's just stuck on downloading, but isnt actually downloading anything... Restarting didn't help.

MayMay

Banned
Unpacking Mordor. DAMN IT - I wont even be able to play it right now xD Its 7am here and I just woke up, gotta do stuff today.. aah I wanna stay home and play all day.

Shadownet

Banned
Ergh, it isn't even unpacking. It's just stuck on downloading, but isnt actually downloading anything... Restarting didn't help.

I had to restart Steam like 3 times before it started unpacking. Roboito told me to try stop downloading it. Restart Steam and move it up your queue again.

Smash88

Banned
Thanks.

Mordor performance thread has hilarious results for the Titan owners.

chansub-global-emoticon-2e4fca1ecf2780b0-28x26.png

Zafir

I had to restart Steam like 3 times before it started unpacking. Roboito told me to try stop downloading it. Restart Steam and move it up your queue again.

Seems like Steam is just being funny. Despite it saying downloading but not downloading anything, it's now come up saying it's completed. Guess it was unpacking after all...

Shadownet

Banned
People actually play games in 4K? I thought it was just for show? Like "HEY! I can run Battlefield 4 at 4K!"

Okay now let me turn it back down to 1080p before my PC blows up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom