• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleinc

Banned
so much hype for shadows of mordor.. the hype and interest in the game will crash within a week or two...

civ beyond earth will deliver hundreds of hours of enjoyment and be played for years to come--no hype.

neogaf.gif
Civ has no 6GB VRAM requirement.

so much hype for shadows of mordor.. the hype and interest in the game will crash within a week or two...

civ beyond earth will deliver hundreds of hours of enjoyment and be played for years to come--no hype.

neogaf.gif
I'm going to wait for the complete edition.

Miguel81

neogaf.gif

We were desperately in need of a new benchmark warrior. Also, it's Monolith baby.

KarmaCow

No, they should not in any way impact each other.

Well I don't know how the store determines the recommendations exactly (does it weight recently played more than others?) but I would imagine idling in games you wouldn't normally play would affect what pops up on the new front page, at least temporarily.

Echoplx

Well I don't know how the store determines the recommendations exactly (does it weight recently played more than others?) but I would imagine idling in games you wouldn't normally play would affect what pops up on the new front page, at least temporarily.

This is possible, my main account recommendations are way off base thanks to idling I assume. Meanwhile my "Steam Machine" account that mostly plays local multiplayer games has great recommendations.

Shadownet

Banned
Super Early Impression: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (About 1 hour into the game)
Shadow-of-Mordor-Wallpaper.jpg

So as usual I'm just going to give you the synopsis of it. From Wikipedia.
The game takes place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. The family of Talion, a ranger of Gondor responsible for guarding the Black Gate of Mordor, is killed by Sauron's armies, but Talion is revived with "wraith-like abilities" and heads into Mordor to exact his revenge Mordor is not yet a barren wasteland in this story. The player will encounter Gollum in the game, discovering that Talion and Gollum have a lot in common. Talion discovers that the wraith who revived him is Celebrimbor, the greatest Elven smith master of the Second Age and the maker of the Rings of Power, who also seeks revenge against Sauron.

As many of you already know, the game play a lot like if Batman and Assassin's Creeds have a baby. The stealth element is very well done, despite not having a lot of objects to hide behind. You have to rely on staying behind the enemy or on top of them. You can also distract them and lure them to your position. When you're near an enemy in stealth mode, you can execute a quick and satisfying kill. Though I'm pretty sure this won't work on all enemies (aka Captains). Combat is a lot like Batman games, where you have to freeflow your way from one enemy to another, attacking and countering. You can execute an enemy when you build up your meter past x8. You can also do this cool move where you grab an enemy by the face and drain him of his life force, which will recharge your "Elf-Shot" aka your bow. When using your bow, time slow down and you can pick off as many shots as you can until it run out. When fighting you use your sword, in stealth mode you use your dagger, which is pretty much a broken sword. Though to note, during finisher, it depends on the animation but you can use either your sword or dagger. Once you unlock the ability, you can even possess an enemy to fight for you or to do your dirty works.
Edit: Took away the gifs before Rhaknar get fired for breaking his work computer. If you wanna see some amazing gameplay gifs I found. Click Here.

The traversing and climbing of the game is very satisfying and familiar with any AC fan. You can run and jump off any cliff and take no damage, no haystack needed lol. You can scale any wall with ease. I climbed upon a wall, see an enemy below and just jumped down, stabbed him in the head, pulled out my bow and killed 3 orcs in perfect stealth. You can find runes by defeating enemies and completing missions to upgrade your weapons. Mix and match the runes to customize your gameplay style. You have your standard side quests and challenge missions. The one challenge mission I did so far, involved me having to stealth kill 10 orcs in under 3 minutes, and you get extra points if you do it completely undetected. You can also earn points by doing challenge missions that unlock special abilities.

Voice acting in this game is very good. Talion is voiced AND motion captured by Troy Baker, I'm just going to stop there cause we know how good he is. There's a good bit of emotions so far from the game and the story is decent. But don't go in expecting The Last of Us. I have not had a chance to experience the Nemesis system very much but from what I could see, the enemies are very well voiced and it seem to work pretty well. This one orc remembered the last encounter I had with him where I interrogated him for information on his Captain and let him go. Now he is branded a Coward.

Graphically, even on my GTX 760, the game look very pretty. Everything run smoothly without stuttering or texture pop in. Though I did notice, it was a bit laggy during the prologue when a new scene load. But haven't seen any since. I'm sure those who have a better graphic card are running this game even better. It's a gorgeous game. Though sometimes Talion's eyes can seem a bit dead, especially when the camera zoom far away.

I haven't heard much of the soundtrack yet, but from the few songs that were played. They were very fitting to the situation. It sounded like it came straight out of the Peter Jackson films.

Most satisfying thing in the game so far is when you get to do stuff like this.
I can't wait to play more of it tomorrow, but this game in my opinion is a lot like Dishonored. Came out of nowhere, people didn't expect much and it took everyone by surprise. Definite GOTY contender for me.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Super Early Impression: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (About 1 hour into the game)

I can't wait to play more of it tomorrow, but this game in my opinion is a lot like Dishonored. Came out of nowhere and it is going to take everyone by surprise. Definite GOTY contender for me.

I can certainly get down with more games even halfway like Dishonored.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks for crashing my shitty work computer's browser with that deluge of mordor gifs

Hmm.. does Steam Overlay not work in The Banner Saga for anyone else? The game's really pretty, and I'd like to take screenshots. I know there's other ways to take screenshots, but remembering to launch Fraps or something sounds like a hassle.

It's a really great game so far, though. I Love the artstyle and the music. Still trying to get a hang of the combat and moral system, though; This playthrough is not looking too good.
Enable hardware acceleration in your flash player's settings.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow of Mordor kind of looks like Ass Creed in Middle Earth

Is it good?

Like on a scale from Ass Creed (bad) to Dark Souls (good), where would you guys put it?

Shadownet

Banned
Sherlock ain't doing that great against Mordor it looks like.

Sherlock only has 1 review out so far. So hold your horses. But with how well Shadow of Mordor is doing. It's going to be tough to beat.

Shadow of Mordor kind of looks like Ass Creed in Middle Earth
Is it good?
Like on a scale from Ass Creed (bad) to Dark Souls (good), where would you guys put it?

If you like Batman and AC gameplay set in Middle Earth setting. Then you can't go wrong with this game.
But seeing as how you dislike AC. You might hate it. Also I think you hurts JaseC's feeling..

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there any way to sav your steam's categories in some sort of file like you can do with a browser's bookmarks? Just realized when I switch to the new rig I will lose all of it and it filled me with dread, and not the judge kind >_>

Monooboe

is there any way to sav your steam's categories in some sort of file like you can do with a browser's bookmarks? Just realized when I switch to the new rig I will lose all of it and it filled me with dread, and not the judge kind >_>

I'm pretty sure they carry over.Saved in the clouds.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Steam categories are saved in a file, namely Steam\userdata\[account id]\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf. Steam backs up this file to the cloud upon start-up, though:

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully

If you want to be super-safe, add -console to Steam's target line and check the "Console" tab for the above lines.

aku:jiki

I went and explored all old bundle purchases and found like 10 games I wasn't aware of! Was especially surprised to see that the Brandon Boyer bundle has had a couple of very late additions, I followed that one pretty closely and remember Actual Sunlight was added to it like a month later so these two must be even later.

Anyway, one of them got me this:

AHCpjkM.png

Too bad it's never selling for that. :(

Copons

How do you "delete" it? Do I tap my magic wand over my PC?

Man so this is my setting right now.

and I'm still hitting 60 fps anf the game still look gorgeous in my opinion.
Even if Tallion kinda look like a caveman, and he get dead eyes sometimes... :/

Woah Shadow, that screen looks ominous... :eek:
I hope it was an unfortunate shot, in one of the rare occasions where the scene doesn't have neither shadows nor an actual background...

Copons

Yup you can!

it's here:

STEAMFOLDER\userdata\USERID\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf

(steamfolder = your actual steam folder, not additional libraries
userid = if only one user ever logged into your steam, then there's only one folder, if not... uuuh I don't know... :D )

Which one are you talking about? the 1st of 2nd screenshot?

This one:

(the other was a setting screen, and i'm kinda fine with it not casting shadows :D )

JustLynx

L0z2Dek.png

Thank you gaben <3

and man... the game is sweeeet!
I was afraid it'll stutter for me, but it's smooth and i have almost steady 60fps!
i have gtx 770 and a crappy e6750 cpu :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you like Batman and AC gameplay set in Middle Earth setting. Then you can't go wrong with this game.
But seeing as how you dislike AC. You might hate it. Also I think you hurts JaseC's feeling..

Well tbh I have only played the first Ass Creed, and I have never played a batman game :O

Shadownet

Banned
(the other was a setting screen, and i'm kinda fine with it not casting shadows :D )
Yeah when I was talking with Roboito, he showed me a screenshot of that part in the game. It had no shadow at all which really confused me. But It was really bright day time.. so that's probably was why.
Posted this in the OT but I thought CloakGraphicsTech™ was too good not to share.
What settings are you running it on man?

neogaf.gif

Firaxis doesn't need hype so long as they keep designing great games.

There's a reason something like Civ5 tops the sales charts... and it isn't because of a $500m marketing spend.

Does dat cloak have Batman level PhysX movement?
It's damn close, maybe not quite as good as PhysX but it's one of the best cloaks I've seen.

my cloaking demand for this game increases

I'm a sucker for a good videogame cloak/cape.

Then this game is for you, even the default one looks great.

What settings are you running it on man?

Mix of High and Ultra, with tessalation on Medium, I even kicked the textures up to high on my 2gb 7850 and it still runs great, in the 40-60FPS area.

Wait, how are you guys running Shadow Of Mordor, I read on NeoGAF that it would be impossible to run on current hardware because it neeeeeeds 6 gigabytes of VRAM

Wait, how are you guys running Shadow Of Mordor, I read on NeoGAF that it would be impossible to run on current hardware because it neeeeeeds 6 gigabytes of VRAM

The 6gigerbutts of VehRams was only for the ultra textures, which come in it's own texture pack, some people are having a rough time running it others like myself, are having it run fine on midrange hardware. The hysteria was greatly exaggerated I think.

Shadownet

Banned
So I decided to crank the texture up to High, and cap my frame rate at 30fps. Still running smooth. :D OHHHHH YEAHHHH! Look even better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom