• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

Actually this does give me an idea. I might be able to mod one of my DS4, but some spare Xbox buttons and replace it. Like how some people replaced the joysticks with Xbox ones.

I haven't play Xbox in a long time. It does take a while to get used to. X(

Do you look at your controller when you play? How would modifying what the buttons look like help you?

Shadownet

Banned
My biggest problem is that I keep pressing X on the DS4 thinking that its the X on Xbox. Since they're on different area.
Do you look at your controller when you play? How would modifying what the buttons look like help you?
I never look at the screen. Head down at my controller all the time.

kiyomi

I can't actually believe people thought I was being serious about using stickers on a DS4. :lol

Faabulous said:
Honestly? Just play Path of Exile.

I really wanted to get into that game but the lack of a character creator put me riiiiiiiiiiight off.

I didn't realize that Paradox published the Crusader Kings games and also a game called The King's Crusade. I was momentarily very confused while looking at Steam.

Faced the same issue with my DS3 a while ago and I eventually got used to it. Takes some time tho. As others stated, there is no universal mod for all games sadly. I just ended up buying a Xbox One controller heh.

I always get confused when I use PS controllers on PC. This is not hard or expensive and would solve my problem at least.

hopefully, with their being so much love given to the DS4, we'll see more stuff like this:

screenps4-1024x576.png

or mods like this, which are awesome:

Teeth

My biggest problem is that I keep pressing X on the DS4 thinking that its the X on Xbox. Since they're on different area.

I never look at the screen. Head down at my controller all the time.

I guess my suggestion would be to learn what the buttons do in the game. Unless it's just a random QTE, usually it's telling you to X for punching (which would be square) and A for jumping (which would be X). I guess when the prompts come up I just think about the action, not the button (double tap jump to jump over an enemy). Or whatever.

Honestly? Just play Path of Exile.

Van Helsing 2 goes on sale frequently/already and is a better game than TL2 is if you are looking for something less time consuming than D3 and that doesn't have the "demand" for HC play that PoE does.

PoE and D3 are the genre kings (and operate at different poles on the spectrum, and as such peacefully coexist).

Dr Dogg

Well it's obvious a few of you haven't suffered through the pain that used to be the old style numbered button prompts coresponding to the button asignments from a directinput controller. Nothing beats trying to pass a QTE in Resident Evil 4 when it asks you to press 4 & 8 to not die. Who the fuck knows what buttons 4 and 8 are off the top of their head let alone in the heat of the moment. And not every controller had the same layout either, even the waves of PS2 rip offs.

Anyhoo just catching up on my on the fence October releases and between The Evil Within and Alien Isolation I have doubts about each. Defiantly liking the look, feel and art of The Evil Within but not a chance am I preordering that until I've heard how it runs. Conversely Alien Isolation looks to be alright on PC from the few bits and bobs I've seen but I'm not too sure about the gameplay, mechanics and longevity.

Teeth

Well it's obvious a few of you haven't suffered through the pain that used to be the old style numbered button prompts corespondent to the button asignments froma direct input controller. None thing beats trying to pass a QTE in Resident Evil 4 when it asks you to press 4 & 8 to not die. Who the fuck knows what buttons 4 and 8 are off the top of their head let alone in the heat of the moment.

You want fun?

Witcher 2 screws up the prompts if you change the buttons and use a controller. Some of them are correct and others show up wrong. Also, inconsistently wrong, so sometimes a X prompt will mean RB and sometimes it will mean Y. Inexcusable. Not that random QTEs are excusable anyway.

dot

Oh cool, Sunrider got the free update. Time to play that again...

Sounds like someone needs to save up for a new hard drive.
Or play some games so you can, y'know, delete them when you're done. ;)

Yes, yur right. I've been meaning to go through my backlog but i keep getting distracted by GW2 and Haearthstone and CSGO and Marvel and random waifu games. :(

But frosty-kun, is it worth it? I dunno.

Speaking of worth, the thing coming out tomorrow is totally not worth it. I'd rather get it on the Wii U than on some handheld where it's apparently neutered(?). Who plays a party brawler/fighter(?) on a 3ds anyways? The flimsy analog is gonna fall off. Silly bakas.

Will Korra be worth it? I hope it's cheap enough.

Is anything worth anything?

What am i fighting for?

Will Olicity be endgame?

Is deleting all these games for FFXIII worth it?

Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z.

i want Xenoverse, hope it's worth it :O

Deitus

I think i saw something about Cook, Serve, Delicious supporting it not too long ago. Can't remember any others off the top of my head.

FF XIV ARR, is the only one I know.

Yeah, Cook, Serve, Delicious and FFXIV ARR are the only games I've played that actually let you select whether to display Xbox or PS button prompts. But really, if Chubigans can implement it in CSD, larger devs really have no excuse not to.

I know Transistor supports PS button prompts, but only if you have a DS4. People with DS3s are still stuck with Xbox prompts.

But you get used it. Even though I haven't turned on my Xbox in over a year and a half, I have no real difficulty associating Xbox buttons with the corresponding buttons on my DS3. I'd rather have the correct prompts, but it's not going to give me any difficulty if they aren't there.

...you can play C,S,D with a controller?

This changes...everything.

Oh yeah, it's great. I couldn't imagine playing it any other way.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well it's obvious a few of you haven't suffered through the pain that used to be the old style numbered button prompts coresponding to the button asignments from a directinput controller. Nothing beats trying to pass a QTE in Resident Evil 4 when it asks you to press 4 & 8 to not die. Who the fuck knows what buttons 4 and 8 are off the top of their head let alone in the heat of the moment. And not every controller had the same layout either, even the waves of PS2 rip offs.
Yeah that was way harder than the present issue. The present issue isn't really an issue if you used both consoles for the better part of last gen.

Accoun

I just copied the PS2 control scheme and I think I could read most of the prompts from the button position. At least with 2 buttons at once, I think there were some like that in the
Krauser fight

Or just eventually got used to it playing the game, dunno. :p

liezryou

So running shadow of mordor on my 680M on 1080p/High Preset... got 44 AVG FPS/ 29 MIN FPS on the benchmark. Pretty happy with that, hopefully in game performs the same.

Faabulous

Van Helsing 2 goes on sale frequently/already and is a better game than TL2 is if you are looking for something less time consuming than D3 and that doesn't have the "demand" for HC play that PoE does.

PoE and D3 are the genre kings (and operate at different poles on the spectrum, and as such peacefully coexist).

You almost convinced me to try Van Helsing, but I'm kind of burned on the whole genre, played too many hours of Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Path of exile and for some stupid reason I even sank 100+ hours on marvel heroes. I think I'll wait a few years.

Dr Dogg

You want fun?

Witcher 2 screws up the prompts if you change the buttons and use a controller. Some of them are correct and others show up wrong. Also, inconsistently wrong, so sometimes a X prompt will mean RB and sometimes it will mean Y. Inexcusable. Not that random QTEs are excusable anyway.

Yeah The Witcher II isn't know for being particarly controller friendly. Still it's nice to have the option.

Yeah that was way harder than the present issue. The present issue isn't really an issue if you used both consoles for the better part of last gen.

For sure. Plus each individual button having a colour tied to it for me is faster to recognise than the letter or shale they're meant to be. The green and red button prompts are the same across Game Cube, And Xbox controllers (with PlayStation swapping blue for green) so straight away it clicks. That and they are more often than not used to confirm and cancel respectively. If a prompt comes up saying press 3 to confirm and 5 to cancel that's a completely different story.

I just copied the PS2 control scheme and I think I could read most of the prompts from the button position. At least with 2 buttons at once, I think there were some like that in the
Krauser fight

Or just eventually got used to it playing the game, dunno. :p

I learnt where they were on a Microsoft Sidewinder (or something like) through trial, error, pain, suffering and repetition. Probably by the time I got it down I more than likely would have finished it.

Teeth

Yeah The Witcher II isn't know for being particarly controller friendly. Still it's nice to have the option.

Which is strange, because the movement, combat setup, and menus all seem designed around a controller.

But that QTE mess and the dizzying door-exit camera spin bug really hurt the game for me.

You almost convinced me to try Van Helsing, but I'm kind of burned on the whole genre, played too many hours of Torchlight 2, Diablo 3, Path of exile and for some stupid reason I even sank 100+ hours on marvel heroes. I think I'll wait a few years.

VH2 has some interesting spins on character customization and has a neat (for the genre) tower defense mode. It's not that bad, but again it is something you go to when you're burnt out on everything else but can't seem to want to play other genres. I'm more or less OK with the recurring Diablo 3 relapse.

Mono

I was wondering where you'd been. That sound rough, but congrats on the job.

On the subject of people who haven't been around lately, I hope A Fish Aficionado isn't banned for much longer.

Thanks! Hopefully it will force me to manage my time better! \o/

Oh no, not Fish! :(

---

For the DS3 controller
master race
people: my drivers are suddenly going mad! I'm not using Motionjoy, just XInput wrapper. It's worked flawlessly until now!

Now when I plug my controller in, it recognizes it as a PS3 controller under the "safely remove hardware" tab, but all of the lights on the controller blink rather than the P1 light staying on. The device manager doesn't recognize the controller at all, so every time I plug in, I have to uninstall and then reinstall the XInput wrapper! Does anyone know what's going on? :O

aku:jiki

I just had my mind blown today when i discovered that Larian Studios , the creators of Divinity: Original Sin are located in my country ( Belgium ) and are only a 10 minute drive away from my house .
I'm pretty sure that I see Paradox employees every time I go to the good burger place close to where I work.

Too bad I don't really like their games or I'd ask them what's up.

VH2 has some interesting spins on character customization and has a neat (for the genre) tower defense mode. It's not that bad, but again it is something you go to when you're burnt out on everything else but can't seem to want to play other genres. I'm more or less OK with the recurring Diablo 3 relapse.
The fact that the TD mode is apparently more expansive in VH2 than it was in VH1 is precisely why I refuse to buy it. That shit was completely awful in VH1.

Salsa

all these 4/6gig recommended specs huh

im counting on that Nvidia rep who showed up on GAF and gifted me a 560ti way back for making the steam sales thread to show up again on christmas

my 。.guardian angel。. (・・)

keep on truckin 2 gigs 680

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You want fun?

What? Replaying the EE edition right now (Steam achievements yo!) with a controller. Going for a 100% playthrough, on the final chapter, I've never had it happen.

Notes:
The original release was a mess though.
QTE's are secret indoctrination attempts by Flagellants.

And it's 7.99€ in Europe.

Some day, I'll understand why the €=$ applies to digital purchases.

Because there is always a subset of a population, in this case Europeans, who have a tenuous grasp on how exchange rates work.

Lain

And it's 7.99€ in Europe.

Some day, I'll understand why the €=$ applies to digital purchases.

If you could take advantage of an entire continent, wouldn't you do it too?!
At least there are cool pubs like XSEED and others that understand the difference between $ and €.

Tizoc

Well I found all towers in Mordor, time to get those collectables then do the Outcast missions then do the main missions.
So much padding :V

dot

Now when I plug my controller in, it recognizes it as a PS3 controller under the "safely remove hardware" tab, but all of the lights on the controller blink rather than the P1 light staying on. The device manager doesn't recognize the controller at all, so every time I plug in, I have to uninstall and then reinstall the XInput wrapper! Does anyone know what's going on? :O

yur controller that is.

or something

use a a different DS3 and see if the same thing happens?

kiyomi

Try plugging your DS3 into your PS3 and making sure it works. Then take it out and plug it into your PC and see what happens.

That's weird though. I always use BetterDS3, I don't know if that would help at all.

Deitus

For the DS3 controller
master race
people: my drivers are suddenly going mad! I'm not using Motionjoy, just XInput wrapper. It's worked flawlessly until now!

Off the top of my head, is your PS3 turning on? I've had that happen a few times, and it screws things up.

If that's not it, are you on using a wired or wireless connection? I use wired, so if for whatever reason my PC is not recognizing my controller, I unplug the USB cord on the PC end (checking again that my PS3 does not turn on when I unplug it), and then plug it in. Usually forces windows to recognize the device.

Teeth

Thanks!
For the DS3 controller
master race

This just happened to me two weeks ago when my computer forced my Win8 up to a Win8.1.

Basically, the windows update wiped away the drivers. I just redownloaded the PCSX ones and reinstalled them, rebooted and everything worked perfectly again. You could try just removing and reapplying the drivers if they still exist on your compy. You can remove them by using the exe that you used to install them in the first place.

Hope this helps.

What? Replaying the EE edition right now (Steam achievements yo!) with a controller. Going for a 100% playthrough, on the final chapter, I've never had it happen.

Notes:
The original release was a mess though.
QTE's are secret indoctrination attempts by Flagellants.

I played on what I think is the latest version (played about 6 months ago). The QTE bug only happens when you change the buttons from default. It may also only happen when you change default face buttons to triggers/bumpers. I wanted Dark Souls layout and it buggered all QTEs up. Didn't really realize it until the forest boss, when i thought i wasn't hitting them fast enough, cuz some would work and others would fail.

The door spin bug is well documented. It happened in different spots of the game; when you entered or exited a door without your sword drawn, the camera would spin 360 degrees rapidly. Every time. I don't get motion sickness from games, but this bug seriously disoriented me. There is no fix and they never patched it. The only workaround is to pull your sword out every time you enter/exit a place. Which causes problems in towns with guards.

dot

All this PCSX and BetterDS3 and XinputWrapper and DS3 crap is so confusing. This is why yu just use a wired 360 controller or something. Or play with a keyboard and mouse like a normal person?

Silly doubt planters.

Teeth

All this PCSX and BetterDS3 and XinputWrapper and DS3 crap is so confusing. This is why yu just use a wired 360 controller or something. Or play with a keyboard and mouse like a normal person?

Silly doubt planters.

Cuz you gotta play Dark Souls the way it was meant to be played.

DS34lyfe yo

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Silly doubt planters.

It's pretty easy nowadays so I wouldn't say that. I mean even the DS4 drivers you use download all the dependencies and install it for you now.

Also installing BetterDS3 is ill advised since it uses motioninjoy drivers which are potentially harmful to your compy.

iosefe

^DS4 Master race

Silly doubt planters.

ಠ_ಠ

Deitus

Silly doubt planters.

I use keyboard and mouse when the game benefits from it, and a controller when it does not. But the lack of a functional d-pad makes the 360 controller a no go.

It's honestly not that difficult to get a PS3 controller working on a PC. It took me all of a minute to install the Xinput drivers, and in the course of a year, it's given me issues about 3 times (all of which were fixed by simply unplugging the controller and plugging it back in and/or turning off my PS3).

dot

Honestly I just don't know how to set up a ps3 controller. Hearing all these problems Momo and the other person was having just makes me think it isn't worth the hassle.

It's pretty easy nowadays so I wouldn't say that. I mean even the DS4 drivers you use download all the dependencies and install it for you now.

Also installing BetterDS3 is ill advised since it uses motioninjoy drivers which are potentially harmful to your compy.

Yeah, i figured a DS4 would be easier to set up.

ಠ_ಠ

We doing Speed today or you gonna back out again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom