• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey Stump are you going to try your hand at being a Curator?

Conceptually it's right up my alley, I enjoy that kind of thing, but the interface right now is unclear--you start a community group and go through there? Why would I do that? I don't want to run a group. I'm not interested in comments from anyone or input; I'd just like to share some recommendations. Having to create my own hub is what I hated about Greeenlight's curator mechanism, so it sucks that they replicated it here. I'll take a look at it later.

-MD-

rSjUU0b.png

I see.

redlacs

dear steam, why you hate multiple tabs? quarter of a thumb up for opening new window with middle mouse button. almost there..

Tags recommended for you:
Dark Fantasy
Action RPG
Atmospheric
Difficult
Fantasy

I think steam knows I've been playing Dark Souls 2 a good deal the past few weeks.

Conceptually it's right up my alley, I enjoy that kind of thing, but the interface right now is unclear--you start a community group and go through there? Why would I do that? I don't want to run a group. I'm not interested in comments from anyone or input; I'd just like to share some recommendations. Having to create my own hub is what I hated about Greeenlight's curator mechanism, so it sucks that they replicated it here. I'll take a look at it later.

It'd work better if your group of friends was already a "Group" of sorts with you as the head right?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Mmm, that C tier gradient effect.

what the fuck is this horseshit?

closing Marvel isnt an option

Keep trying, we believe in you.

Winter Wolves, always pushing boundaries.

Ah, so "New Releases" is now "Popular New Releases", which is interesting.

That sounds pretty bad. I wonder how long it takes before someone complains that their game isn't getting enough exposure.

Messiah

Ah, Steam is now hiding all the shitty new releases behind an extra click.

Edit: Ah nvm, still one click to get to them. Topsellers is not the default tab anymore.

jblank83

Curator is the worst word. Curators manage museums and collections. They care for the historical importance of a segment of human artifacts, like Egyptian history or guns of the civil war. They want to preserve something for generations to come, to education and enlighten.

These people aren't curators. They're giving purchase recommendations. They're the people who find you when you're shopping in the mall and try to make you buy things. They're the mobile phone guy in the middle of the mall that shouts at you and asks if you have a phone, while you avoid eye contact and try to get to the Cinnabon store.

They may not make money from the activity (if it's successful, someone will try to monetize it), but this isn't going to end up as curation. It's going to end up as a cult of personality, with TotalBiscuit boasting about having 158,000 followers on Steam the way people brag about their Youtube channel or Twitter account. And these personalities are going to drown out anyone who actually cares about actual curation, the type of person who wants to perform the task of informing everyone of everything about every strategy game on Steam, for instance.

Cerity

Wait, when did mouse wheel clicking open up a new page?

It's been around for awhile? Opening links in new tab was the only tolerable way I found of browsing the old specials/new releases tabs, middle click just made it more convenient. Been using it for years.

So I've been playing a lot of divinity lately...
uhwjTUg.png

Turfster

Holy shit, that might be the best thing of this update (If this is new and I'm not an idiot for not knowing)

That's been in for... a month or two?

Also, the fact that it recommends games already on your wishlist is a bit of an oversight...
"We think you would like this game." NO SHIT.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not a fan of needing to go through a group page in order to be a curator. It should make sense if a group of people wish to curate games together as an entity, but what if I want to be directly responsible for it? Why does it need to be credited to the page and not myself? It seems kinda lazy. I'm currently working on adding up a few more recommendations to see how things go on a group I used to use, but I think it is a mistake to do it this way.

MayMay

Banned
Holy shit, that might be the best thing of this update (If this is new and I'm not an idiot for not knowing)

That works on most webpages actually lol (with decent browsers).

And if you're talking about it working inside of Steam - hmm.. Didnt know about that either until now lol

L.O.R.D

hmmm

Tags recommended for you
Open World
Single player
Stealth
Co-op
Zombies

i haven't played co op for a long time , but i think some one joined me in DR3 2 days ago
zombies ? for the past 2 weeks i am trying to run Dead Rising 3 above 10 FPS , i can't
Stealth ? nope

Turfster

They really should add a "not interested" x to the stuff on the front page, though, so I don't have to laboriously load the entire page every time it recommends me shit I don't care about. "HERE IS A HORROR GAME" "No, fuck off, Steam." "HERE IS A MILITARY SHOOTER" "Seriously, fuck off with that."

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Receiver -- MB-6DF94761B38F6E28 - Taken by Last Baron

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Receiver was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Khronico

All steam is recommending to me is zombie games and open world survival stuff. I don't care about any of that stuff steam please stop.

jediyoshi

These people aren't curators. They're giving purchase recommendations. They're the people who find you when you're shopping in the mall and try to make you buy things. They're the mobile phone guy in the middle of the mall that shouts at you and asks if you have a phone, while you avoid eye contact and try to get to the Cinnabon store.

sJQc8op.png

Much better.

The queue is pretty slick. You exhaust it and it auto-generates another one, presumably learning from what you said to the previous ones.

You're going to obsessively finish all your queues ASAP aren't you?

How long till some indie developer complains that removing the full new releases tab is literally taking food out of his mouth?

Indignate

It's been around for awhile? Opening links in new tab was the only tolerable way I found of browsing the old specials/new releases tabs, middle click just made it more convenient. Been using it for years.

I was speaking more towards the ability to do it in the client.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is all just basically a direct response to the Steam store getting flooded with garbage. Once curation and queues get smart you might not see those anymore.

Love everything about this... now have 12 more games on the wishlist.

Now if there are some industry peeps that know their stuff on certain genres become curators, well I'd be in to following them too.

Great way to combat the influx of garbage to the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom