• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Checking the new changes now and I'm really liking the blue. Still need to see it in Big Picture Mode.

In my Queue there were games like Endless Legend, Age of Wonders III and Divinity Original Sin. They all look very pretty but also, they all look like a big time sink. They seem like one of those games that you can play for countless hours.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Uhmmm....thanks Steam?
ljxrxbjn.png

jblank83

you don't like biscuits or brits? I am offended if you dislike either :p

No. I'm expressing my distaste for the "curation" feature, particularly as it has bumped the lists and daily sale to the bottom of the page, forcing you to dig past the recommended curators and recommended games windows.

Curator is the worst word. Curators manage museums and collections. They care for the historical importance of a segment of human artifacts, like Egyptian history or guns of the civil war. They want to preserve something for generations to come, to education and enlighten.

These people aren't curators. They're giving purchase recommendations. They're the people who find you when you're shopping in the mall and try to make you buy things. They're the mobile phone guy in the middle of the mall that shouts at you and asks if you have a phone, while you avoid eye contact and try to get to the Cinnabon store.

They may not make money from the activity (if it's successful, someone will try to monetize it), but this isn't going to end up as curation. It's going to end up as a cult of personality, with TotalBiscuit boasting about having 158,000 followers on Steam the way people brag about their Youtube channel or Twitter account. And these personalities are going to drown out anyone who actually cares about actual curation, the type of person who wants to perform the task of informing everyone of everything about every strategy game on Steam, for instance.

CHC

Not sure if this is common knowledge yet but you can now middle mouse click on an item to open a new window. Makes browsing long lists MUCH easier.

About damn time!

Click on Community Hub on top of the page and go to Discussions. But that's one click and page load more.

Exactly, clicking on the link on the store page was quite handy.

By the way I've just tried out the new Weeklong deals page: now it is way much better organized, you capreviously browsing through all the games was quite uncomfortable, maybe another thing they could have added is "sort by discount".

Turfster

Not sure if this is common knowledge yet but you can now middle mouse click on an item to open a new window. Makes browsing long lists MUCH easier.

About damn time!
(It's been in for over a month, honestly ;)

But yes, my queue is broken forever because it keeps trying to suggest that shitty US F2P thing.
<sarcasm>Well done, Valve.</sarcasm>

derExperte

Haha new steam, new skype, new iOS what's next? All programs now wznt to mimic the new iOS design.

Nah, not enough unnecessary, blurry transparencies and gaudy 80s colors for that. Also iOS 8 doesn't look much different than 7 and the other designs are more a mix of Modern UI and the old stuff. Valve should've gone full Windows/WP 8 imo.

Nzyme32

No. I'm expressing my distaste for the "curation" feature.

Oh very good points. Gabe Newell talked about this a long while back and suggested that part of the sales created by such "curator" based sales would see them receive a share of the profits or something in a similar way to people getting money for sales of other user generated content. Really need to see how this works first though to understand if it can be genuinely useful or subverted and made to obfuscate some games or promote those that are paid off - in my opinion this situation is inevitable unless Valve have a way around this

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

About damn time!

I don't exactly know when they added that function but it has been there for some time now...

KarmaCow

Is there anyway to fix the loading times on Dragonfall DC? They're brutal, talking about close to 20 seconds. Moving it to a SSD didn't help.

What metroid game is that from? or is that some sort of custom skin

It's from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. It's from near the end of the game IIRC and I'm sure you can guess the context considering the name of the game.

Jawmuncher

Oh very good points. Gabe Newell talked about this a long while back and suggested that part of the sales created by such "curator" based sales would see them receive a share of the profits or something in a similar way to people getting money for sales of other user generated content. Really need to see how this works first though to understand if it can be genuinely useful or subverted and made to obfuscate some games or promote those that are paid off - in my opinion this situation is inevitable unless Valve have a way around this

They already said no one is getting money on the post for it.

Nah, not enough unnecessary, blurry transparencies and gaudy 80s colors for that. Also iOS 8 doesn't look much different than 7 and the other designs are more a mix of Modern UI and the old stuff. Valve should've gone full Windows/WP 8 imo.

Definately. This new steam look like witout failure mode in windows. Windows 9 looking to be even more glaucous.

Li Kao

Conceptually it's right up my alley, I enjoy that kind of thing, but the interface right now is unclear--you start a community group and go through there? Why would I do that? I don't want to run a group. I'm not interested in comments from anyone or input; I'd just like to share some recommendations. Having to create my own hub is what I hated about Greeenlight's curator mechanism, so it sucks that they replicated it here. I'll take a look at it later.

Sorry if this has been talked about before, I have a feeling the thread is going to go fast for some pages, but couldn't you...
- make a group
- set it as private in order to not have members and all the shit you don't want
- profit (as if I understood correctly a curator can be set as private)

wilflare

not impressed by the new store
(oh well gonna take some getting used to)

wonder if the "blue" means they are gonna work with Sony (which loves blue too)
lol PSN + Steam Storefront

man can dream

Yeah, my tags are basically everything relating to LA Noire, because it is the only game I have played in the last month because I wanted to finish it once and for all.... although it has a couple of other tags that are actually quite suitable

The tags are useless. It's based on the tags of games you've recently played, and the tagging is done by community.

It might as well be random.

jblank83

Actually for those people it seems great. They just curate the games they have on their YT channel, link it and get clicks like that.

Yeah, for them it's great. I'm sure they're excited about leveraging their existing fanbase and synergizing their brand names to achieve higher clicks per minute or some shit.

For me it's just an annoyance to get to the information I want (top lists, new release list, daily sale, etc), as well as some worrisome decisions on Valve's part. This stuff isn't useful. Having TotalBiscuit tell me what games he likes or thinks I should buy isn't useful.

Useful would be more powerful search tools. Let me search by genre and limit that search by multiple data, such as "average players at 6pm" and "average playtime". Let me open multiple store tabs like a modern browser. That's useful.

Or at least let me determine the layout of "my" homepage so I don't have to look at all this useless junk.

They already said no one is getting money on the post for it.

However what you can do is link to your youtube channel/videos or your webpage.

So from what I can see, the "curation" is basically just a list of your reviews?
Or can you add new text for games?

You're given 150 characters to work with, so it's almost basically tweeting "Buy X because Y". At least that's how it seems for me. It doesn't just take games you've reviewed, since I've not actually done any reviews before this, just went through the curating process. I don't think 1 curator themselves will be able to provide enough information without linking to their own reviews or videos from outside Steam, whereas if 5+ curators would provide you with a better idea.

Lomax

The new blue everything still being inside the old black/gray border is annoying me, just makes it all the more obvious the client is just a mediocre browser. Hopefully that gets an update shortly as well.

Nethaniah

How are LOTR and Defiance similar to the games i play? I don't recall having mmo's on my steam account.

God this is just awful, i hate recommendations regarding media because that's not how i view / listen / play stuff, why would i be interested in another first person shooter just because i've played hard reset or something, same with Netflix, yeah sure i watched crime drama #1, doesn't mean i'm interested in Crime drama #2.

Mokoi

Banned
My goal today was to beat Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, but I ended up playing CS:GO instead. It's quite funny that I've already written up my impressions of it, but I still have to beat it.

Nzyme32

The new blue everything still being inside the old black/gray border is annoying me, just makes it all the more obvious the client is just a mediocre browser. Hopefully that gets an update shortly as well.

The beta client was bluer but then people complained and they changed it; now the complaints are the other way round, and in fairness, they should have seen this coming haha

Nzyme32

Can't believe Steam has surpassed 100 million active accounts. That is insane growth. Congrats to the folks at Valve.

When did that happen? They decided to drop all this info pretty suddenly..... actually.. was it not this time last year that they did their series of announcements about SteamOS/Controller/Machines? Valve might actually have a schedule, and dare I say, a plan

Turfster

You're given 150 characters to work with, so it's almost basically tweeting "Buy X because Y". At least that's how it seems for me. It doesn't just take games you've reviewed, since I've not actually done any reviews before this, just went through the curating process. I don't think 1 curator themselves will be able to provide enough information without linking to their own reviews or videos from outside Steam, whereas if 5+ curators would provide you with a better idea.

Can you.... "uncurate" yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom