• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Camp 2011 - Immediate Regrets :(

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Cities XL 2011... kinda... It's alright as a city builder but quite a sloppy execution. I would've hated paying full price for it.

I blame the fact that the last Sim City was a bazillion years ago.

edit: spelling/grammar. Am I drunk?

Sober

Probably CoD4, bought it for MP since I've replayed SP on veteran and such already. Haven't really sat down for more than 10 minutes in MP yet.

mxgt

Banned
Only thing I regret is the GTA pack.

Will probably never play and knew I'd dun goofed 2 mins after I bought it.

Maybe I will someday but oh well.

Mama Robotnik said:
I bought the Fallout collection (Fallout 1,2,tactics) and started playing the first one. After a really nice intro sequence, I'm finding the mechanics to be a bit frustrating, and the constant visual scattering due to incompatibilities with my modern OS to be intolerable.

I'll persist with it a bit longer, but its not making a good impression so far unfortunately.

get the fan fixes for it this thread is a good start

2nd post is a link to high res patch, hopefully will fix your issues, stick with it man! great game!

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/fallout_series/fallout_mods

INSTALL IN THIS ORDER

1. TeamX Patch 1.2 - "The primary objective of this patch is to incorporate into the US version of the game, bug fixes available for later European releases only. This includes executables and several scripts."

2. Fallout Children Patch - "This handy little patch brings children back to the Fallout 1.2 UK version."

3. TeamX Patch 1.3.4 - "The primary objective of this patch is to fix bugs still present in the latest
official version of the game."

4. TeamX NPC Mod (f1npcmod) - Various NPC changes. "Ian, Katja and Tyho can gain up levels (1 per players 4), change armor and combat tactics. Dogmeat can be ordered to wait."

5. High Resolution patch - "Modifies "falloutw.exe" in memory to run at higher screen resolutions."

Teknoman

Mama Robotnik said:
I bought the Fallout collection (Fallout 1,2,tactics) and started playing the first one. After a really nice intro sequence, I'm finding the mechanics to be a bit frustrating, and the constant visual scattering due to incompatibilities with my modern OS to be intolerable.

I'll persist with it a bit longer, but its not making a good impression so far unfortunately.

Find the gog topic and see if you can patch the steam version with everything recommended there. Fixes alot of issues.

EDIT: Beaten.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anyone who regrets Terraria really needs to go out of their way to try and play it multiplayer.

sixghost

Bionic Commando: Rearmed

I didn't even bother to check the system requirements, but it runs horrible on my laptop. Who would have guessed an XBLA game would be such a hog. The game is kind of boring too, except when there's no enemies around and I can just swing for fun.

speedpop said:
Anyone who regrets Terraria really needs to go out of their way to try and play it multiplayer.
I thought Terraria was a much better experience in SP. Maybe if you started up a shared world with a few friends at the same time it was be just as good, but jumping into an established MP world kind of sucks. Most of the time everything is already built or mined, and people are just swinging around like psychos killing everything.

Definitely would not recommend MP for people right out of the gate.

Karkador

Banned
slidewinder said:
Google pbsetup. Sucks that you have to, but it should fix the drops. It's a great game once you get it working.

I did update it with that tool. It's stupid and crazy that they're still using this archaic thing to moderate their games, but at least it's not hard to do. I was able to play for like 30-40 minutes afterwards, and then it dropped again (though I can't recall the error). I don't think it's a ping issue (I already entered the launch command related to ping update), and no other game gives me this kind of trouble. I understand that BFBC2 is probably pushing way more through a network than TF2, but it's hard to put up with this kind of thing after years of near-flawless online in Valve games.

Drek

Oblivion: GOTY. Got it for $8.50 thinking "hey, I played it on 360 before. This way I can mod the shit out of it and it'll be good". Now with everything else I got, my existing Steam backlog, and my existing consoel back log I'm pretty sure I'll never actually do it.

Kinda bummed on grabbing Shogun 2 at $29.99 actually. I'm a huge Total War fan but my current laptop is getting long in the tooth. Asked my brother who's got Shogun 2 and he said if I could run Medieval II at full with my lappy then I could run Shogun 2 the same. Every time I listen to him I get burned in some way. The dumbass. That did not seem to be the case and it was totally unresponsive when I tried to run it. Getting a new gaming oriented lappy in the fall and now I'm thinking maybe I should've waited for the Christmas sale and gotten it for less. But whatever, I know I'll love it so maybe I'll just play it on the gaming desktop when I'm home. Unfortunately I travel ~50% of the time for work so a lot of my gaming is laptop based.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Also, I don't really regret buying it, but I'm still pissed off that Episodes from Liberty City still runs terribly. Whose leg do I have to hump to get a decently optimized open world game on PC?

Loam

Magika

It's a fantastic game without a doubt, and when I can get it to work it truly is some of the most unique gameplay I've seen in awhile. Problem is it's co-op is basically required to enjoy the game, and the only way me and my friends can play is via online which is prone to constant crashing and bizarre latency problems despite low pings.

Basically it's fun, but bugged out the ass.

Heysoos

Star Wars Battlefront 2. I remember loving the Xbox version, but I couldn't play this for more than 10 minutes. :|

I regret nothing I purchased.

So how about games that I regret NOT purchasing?

That will be:
Amnesia.
Universe Sandbox.
Sam & Max complete pack.

That doubt...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I regret being forced at the very end of that particular sale to grab Fable III by my partner. I won't ever play it, and the only reason she wanted me to get it was the ability to co-op. Little did I know that co-op is a complete mess in the game. Oh well~

sixghost said:
I thought Terraria was a much better experience in SP. Maybe if you started up a shared world with a few friends at the same time it was be just as good, but jumping into an established MP world kind of sucks. Most of the time everything is already built or mined, and people are just swinging around like psychos killing everything.

Definitely would not recommend MP for people right out of the gate.
Good idea. Multiplayer rocks if you start a world together. Multiplayer might suck if you enter a pre-done world already.

Zombie James said:
Thanks, probably what I'll end up doing.

seriously, if there is something u dislike about oblivion, 99% chance there is a mod thatll fix it for you. one of the reason i love bethesdas modding community :D

Grizza

Neverwinter Nights 2. I only booted it up for a few minutes to see how it would run on my rig and immediately hated the art style. From the pictures and the videos, it seemed OK, but now I regret buying it. That could change when I actually give the game a chance though.

I regret not buying Frozen Synapse. Actually, if anyone has an extra copy, I could trade Super Meat Boy for it. PM me if anyone is interested.

Mama Robotnik said:

Best games ever,

16bit colour issue IIRC, give these a try.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42386

LProtag

Killing Floor doesn't run very well on my laptop. I'm also bad at it and it takes forever for me to connect to any servers.

Eh. Mixed feelings, I'll have to try it out more.

Sims 3 Complete Pack

Bought it in a moment of weakness since I loved the original Sims and never tried the second one - what a crushing disappointment. The controls are irritating, the interface is cluttered and the music is bland, however the worse offender is the gameplay. Instead of actually expanding the game in ways that would make sense (weather, seasons, pets) they've focused on completely useless fluff like vampires.

Honestly it feels exactly the same as Sims 1 with more up to date (but probably not better) visuals and a lot of rubbish tacked on.

Azure Phoenix said:
Sims 3 Complete Pack

Bought it in a moment of weakness since I loved the original Sims and never tried the second one - what a crushing disappointment. The controls are irritating, the interface is cluttered and the music is bland, however the worse offender is the gameplay. Instead of actually expanding the game in ways that would make sense (weather, seasons, pets) they've focused on completely useless fluff like vampires.

Honestly it feels exactly the same as Sims 1 with more up to date (but probably not better) visuals and a lot of rubbish tacked on.

pets is the next xp

tci

Borderlands - First I had a hard time even starting the game. All settings was at the lowest so I had to go through all the settings.

Then I started the game and it started with the annoying "learn to move and push buttons" tutorials. And after I took the first shot... I noticed aim assist... on a PC game. wth is this!?!. Haven't played the game sinced then... and never will.

tci said:
Borderlands - First I had a hard time even starting the game. All settings was at the lowest so I had to go through all the settings.

Then I started the game and it started with the annoying "learn to move and push buttons" tutorials. And after I took the first shot... I noticed aim assist... on a PC game. wth is this!?!. Haven't played the game sinced then... and never will.

It's supposed to be an FPS/RPG from what I understand, so that would be your explanation...

Van Buren

Grizza said:
Neverwinter Nights 2. I only booted it up for a few minutes to see how it would run on my rig and immediately hated the art style. From the pictures and the videos, it seemed OK, but now I regret buying it. That could change when I actually give the game a chance though.

NWN2 gets better once you get past the slow-as-molasses initial chapter. It makes things interesting by introducing Stronghold management midway through the game. I thought it was ultimately a solid WRPG similar to DA:O, but nothing more.

The real star of the NWN2 games is Mask of the Betrayer. There are a few instances where one can benefit on having played NWN2 before. If you're still unable to stand NWN2 after a few hours into Chapter 2, I'd suggest skipping ahead to the expansion.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Guild Wars + Eye of the North. I picked it up because I've always wanted to give the rest of the series a try, but I just don't think I'll get to it anytime before GWII comes.

tci

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It's supposed to be an FPS/RPG from what I understand, so that would be your explanation...
There was an option to turn off aim assist. But I was so pissed of with the "console-port" crap, that I turned it off and removed it.

Moatman

tci said:

So you didn't go to options and disable aim assist? Good plan!

plc268

I actually don't regret a single purchase. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of some of the games, especially Darksiders. AaaaaAAaaaAAAaa (love copy/paste) was another surprise... I thought I'd hate the game, and I don't. Also, I never heard of Eschalon before, and while I only played the demo, I came away really impressed.

So yea, I had a lot of restraint this year and picked a lot of the stuff that I knew I wanted.

My list:
Dawn of War II: Retribution
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaa
Eschalon Book 1
Eschalon Book 2
Sanctum
STALKER: CoP
Wings of Prey: Wings of the Luftwaffe
Fortix 2
Fallout NV: Honest Hears
Alpha Protocol
Frozen Synapse
Assassin's Creed II
HOARD
Darksiders

V_Ben

Banned
I bought a load of Windows games, only to find that my mac is refusing to install a boot camp partition. Huzzah! :p

ThePoopDeck

Neo Member
I regretted buying "The Final Hours of Portal 2" because i thought i was a video documentary but instead it was an interactive magazine, but after a while i thought it was great. very interesting :D i would reccomend, it was like £1 for me

Grizza

Van Buren said:
NWN2 gets better once you get past the slow-as-molasses initial chapter. It makes things interesting by introducing Stronghold management midway through the game. I thought it was ultimately a solid WRPG similar to DA:O, but nothing more.

The real star of the NWN2 games is Mask of the Betrayer. There are a few instances where one can benefit on having played NWN2 before. If you're still unable to stand NWN2 after a few hours into Chapter 2, I'd suggest skipping ahead to the expansion.

Word.

Twinduct

Only thing I regret is the country blockage of steam so I couldn't pick up Alpha Protocol :<
That aside, I went really overboard this time. I'm sure regret will jump in soon, but considering that most of the titles was below $10, I can't really complain.

plc268

tci said:
I did, but it was still a pretty bad game.

Not to bust your balls or anything, but how would you know? It sounds like you played it for 10 minutes, and gave up. Now there's plenty of flaws with Borderlands, but I would give it a second and more serious shot. Try to play with friends if possible.

From the sounds of it, you didn't want to like the game in the first place.

Salsa

D5KOC.gif

Eusis

MikeDub said:
Pretty sure I will regret my Amnesia purchase over the coming nights.
Yeah, probably going to be in the same situation there. Or it'll be a more standard regret in that I won't have the nerve to go past a half hour, ever.

Regrets? Not very serious ones, but Tropico 3: Absolute Power (not sure when I'd even get to this) and getting Magicka earlier from Amazon since the complete collection was roughly a buck cheaper, at least I got the Wizard Survival Kit free from them. Well, I think Hitman: Blood Money would be more comfortable for me on a controller, but that might be fixed with a little key remapping. I haven't tried my biggest purchase yet, Back to the Future, but I've generally liked Telltale games so it shouldn't become a regret.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
plc268 said:
Not to bust your balls or anything, but how would you know? It sounds like you played it for 10 minutes, and gave up. Now there's plenty of flaws with Borderlands, but I would give it a second and more serious shot. Try to play with friends if possible.

From the sounds of it, you didn't want to like the game in the first place.
Seriously. Grab a couple of friends and give the game a chance.

Top Bottom