• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Camp 2011 - Immediate Regrets :(

Ledsen

Snapshot King said:
Arx Fatalis was recommended in the final steam sale topic. What a pile of shit.
Huh? It's an amazingly atmospheric dungeon crawler, and a great game. What were you expecting, Oblivion?

No regrets for this sale.

Only ended up picking up Frozen Synapse, Jolly Rover, and Jamestown.

Jolly Rover might have been the only impulsive buy for me, but it's not a bad little adventure game by any means, and I still got a decent playthrough out of it for the price.

wutwutwut

Dina said:
BIT.TRIP RUNNER.
Asthetically unpleasing, boring gameplay. Uninstalled it after beating level 5.
While it does require a certain... temperament to enjoy, I'm not sure how it could be called aesthetically unpleasing.

Salazar

Not that thrilled by Mirror's Edge second time around.
FUEL won't launch.
RE5 is pretty tedious.
Titan Quest might have briefly entertained me a long time ago.

The rest of my haul is a delight.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right now, the game I kind of regret buying in the Steam Sale is Atom Zombie Smasher, I do rather like the style and the ascetic of the game, I am not a huge fan of the mechanics and I think the balance of the game is way too skewed towards the zed.

dani_dc

Shard said:
Right now, the game I kind of regret buying in the Steam Sale is Atom Zombie Smasher, I do rather like the style and the ascetic of the game, I am not a huge fan of the mechanics and I think the balance of the game is way too skewed towards the zed.
Try to start a new game and set modifiers to allow you to select the mercenaries each month and perhaps the one to get one more mercenary. I found those changes to make the game much more enjoyable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dani_dc said:
Try to start a new game and set modifiers to allow you to select the mercenaries each month and perhaps the one to get one more mercenary. I found those changes to make the game much more enjoyable.

That might be a good idea.

Everdred

Call of Duty 4.

Multiplayer is a piece of shit.
Servers have too many players 32+ on 90% of servers.
Servers are 24/7 one map.
Servers have strange rules like no sprinting, must crouch all the time, no grenades etc.

Georgiee

Neo Member
Everdred said:
Call of Duty 4.

Servers have strange rules like no sprinting, must crouch all the time, no grenades etc.
This annoys me too - I actually installed it again the other day and I knifed someone and got booted off the server.

Nothing I regret from this steam sale though. Timed up well with me getting my new PC!

Valygar

Shard said:

Also, try to win some territories back (destroying all ZED) at the beginning, going to level 1 outbreaks instead of 2-3 ones. That way you get +20 score all the rest of the game, and that's a lot. Also, the Zed score does not increase much. If you fight +3 right at the beginning you usually get 300-400, but the Zeds win 200-300 as well.

Divius

I regret NOTHING.

Well maybe Frozen Synapse since it isn't really for me. I haven't really played it much either, so can't judge yet.

RoboShmup

Banned
About a month ago I built my really nice computer rig that can play tons of super demanding games. And here I am playing Plants vs. Zombies and VVVVVV.

I can't say I regret that. I'm having more fun with gaming than I've had in years. I guess I regret buying at least ONE game that actually can push the limits of my rig.

Vlad

Shard said:

Well, it's kind of odd, since the balance shifts back and forth as the game progresses. When it starts, the balance is kind of in the player's favor, but once the Level 4 outbreaks start happening, the balance slowly shifts back to the side of the Zed, so it's more a matter of getting enough points to win the campaign before Zed overtakes you.

A few little pointers:

- Always keep an eye on what units you're going to be taking into a mission. They're shown on the right side of the map for a given month. If you're going to have barricades, tnt, landmines, and bait, don't go attacking a level 4 outbreak.

- Also keep in mind what the "condition" for the month is. NEVER attack a level 4 zone on a "shorter day" month. Even when I had artillery, infantry, and snipers at my disposal, I have yet to clear a level 4 zone in 30 seconds.

- It actually does make a little difference which territories you claim. Not in points, but in containing the spread of the infection. From what I've noticed so far (I could be wrong on this), level 4 zones can only raise the infection levels of adjacent zones. So, if you can secure (either by capturing it or just by "winning" the round) a zone that will cut off a level 4 area, it won't spread to the rest of the map, giving you some time.

- Some of the research items are... well, they're absolutely useless. Personally, I ALWAYS research the artillery and Catbird Cannon upgrades first. While you don't get the artillery every round, you get it often enough to make the extra shell fired per upgrade very useful.

- Sometimes you're just screwed. I'm attempting a 20,000 point game at the moment (the "long" one) and right now every territory that isn't owned by me or blacked out is a level 4. This means that the rounds where I get a crappy loadout are pretty much a wash. No matter what I've tried, it just doesn't seem possible to clear out a level 4 without at LEAST infantry, and artillery seems necessary as well.

BluWacky

Hoard for me. Played it once, don't think I'll ever play it again - not a bad game but too aimless and repetitive for me.

I don't regret any of my other purchases even if I never play them. I had to buy Half Life 2 at some point, or I can't call myself a gamer...

coopolon

So far the only game I really regret is Transformers. I don't wtf I was thinking. I looked at videos and I HATED the world, it was so dark, but at the same time everything was shiny. But it looked like a good TPS, and I like good TPS. A lot of people complained about its generic mechanics, but I've never been bothered by generic mechanics in short action games so I figured I wouldn't care.

Turns out I really do the hate the world it's set in. I don't know who anyone or WTF is going on. I finally figured out the controls, but I still don't like the shooting (sorry, I'm terrible at describing what I like or don't like about shooting mechanics), and it actually is too generic for me.

Oh well, $I've wasted $7.50 on much sillier things before.

I also found out I don't like Terraria, but I did get to play it for about 5 hours and so don't really regret that purchase.

I might be regretting Deus Ex. Now I say might simply because if I can get joytokey figured out with this game I may actually begin to enjoy the game.
I personally HATE using the keyboard. Movement is just too awkward feeling for me and I find it impossible to enjoy games when the keyboard is my only option.

Jinaar

wilflare said:
kinda regretted getting
The Last Remnant
and the entire collection of Prince of Persia (should have been selective)

Don't regret The Last Remnant. 6+ hours in and its 10x better then the 360 version. The battle system is literally the best this generation for a JRPG.

wilflare

Jinaar said:
Don't regret The Last Remnant. 6+ hours in and its 10x better then the 360 version. The battle system is literally the best this generation for a JRPG.

guess i'll give it a bit more time. i barely got past the "Tutorial" Stages

seb

Banned
Lupin3 said:
Bought Terraria for €5 to see what the fuzz was all about. That game... is... bori...

*snore*
Speaking of snorefest, does Torchlight ever pick up ? *click* *click* *click* *snore*

Nealand Liquor said:
I might be regretting Deus Ex. Now I say might simply because if I can get joytokey figured out with this game I may actually begin to enjoy the game.
I personally HATE using the keyboard. Movement is just too awkward feeling for me and I find it impossible to enjoy games when the keyboard is my only option.

:O

SmokyDave

Nealand Liquor said:
I'm with you. I've tried, tried & tried again but I just don't click with M&KB.

Pinnacle Game Profiler is a handy tool for getting pad support in older games. Not free like Joy2Key though.

typo said:
Some of us are freaks. No biggie :)

Spookie

Cities XL 11 and possibly the DLC for New Vegas. Why? Simple, the game is STILL FUCKING BROKEN. Christ Obsidian. I want to enjoy your games but you don't half frustrate me.

dani_dc said:

Agreed. Choosing your mercs every month should have been a base mechanic.

Vlad

gregor7777 said:
Agreed. Choosing your mercs every month should have been a base mechanic.

I haven't tried with that modifier on yet, but I'm thinking that if/when I do, I'm pretty much going to go Infantry/Artillery/Sniper every single month. As annoying as the mechanic is, those three merc units are so insanely powerful compared to the others that I can't imagine it being worth it to go for anything BUT that combination.

Blur - No One Online - NO ONE!
Need for Speed: HP - Autolog seems useless on PC since I don't keep an active EA friends list.
Lead & Gold - Game is shit.

Sye d'Burns

Salazar said:
Not that thrilled by Mirror's Edge second time around.
FUEL won't launch.
RE5 is pretty tedious.
Titan Quest might have briefly entertained me a long time ago.

The rest of my haul is a delight.

Strangely enough, Fuel crashes to the desktop as soon as I hit the menu on the mini but works just fine on the mbp. They're virtually the same machines internally running the same steam install on a firewire drive.

kamspy

Everdred said:
Call of Duty 4.

Aw man. Must crouch servers are the best.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have no real regrets but I can tell some games I will not playing as much. Audiosurf seems wonky to me and Beat Hazards visuals are hard on the eyes. I've actually been playing more JC2 than anything else right now with some Last Remnant (liking it so far).

Everdred said:
Call of Duty 4.

Multiplayer is fine. You can filter some of this shit out before going in. I've had nothing but good experiences.

mclem

DoctorWho said:
Blur - No One Online - NO ONE!

On that note, I've been wondering about someone setting up a "book club" sort of thing where people meet up each week on a given online game to ensure there's people to play with. It would at least ensure some population. Not sure about the organisational requirements, though, particularly with international factors.

coopolon said:
I also found out I don't like Terraria, but I did get to play it for about 5 hours and so don't really regret that purchase.
Head over to the Terraria OT here, the last few pages. If you're playing the game singleplayer find someone to play multiplayer with, it's infinitely better (I even enjoyed single player so that's saying alot), or jump on the GAF server and ask around.

The game has major patches every few weeks. When 1.0.6 comes out (probably later this week or early next week) the GAF server is going to load a new world and I think a lot of players are going to roll new characters from scratch - might be fun to join in with that group, do the bosses together, build houses, etc...

Edit: When I say major I really mean it to, a few weeks ago there was no jungles in the game, no deserts, no oceans, no potion system, no clothing system, half the enemies weren't in the game (no bats, crabs, piranhas, vultures, demons, hellbats, lava slimes, snatchers, harpies, sharks, jellyfish, antlions, etc...), tons of items, weapons, accessories weren't in the game. The game is literally constantly being added to in major ways - definitely stay in tune.

Darklord said:
Magicka. I can't see subtitles or the UI. The games broken for me. :(
My friend had the subtitle issue once and fixed it by restarting his PC. They're just chat bubbles over NPCs, the language they talk is complete gibberish. The only UI elements are 8 round buttons in the bottom left of the screen and a tiny little HP bar under your character... I don't think the buttons show up either until you complete the tutorial IIRC.

Also regret getting Arkham Asylum. I only bought it for the 3D which I thought would be anaglyph like the console GOTY version. Turns out it is only stereoscopic. :( Might play through it again anyways.

Patryn

Picked up:

- Amnesia
- Guild Wars Trilogy
- Singularity
- THQ Pack
- Monkey Island pack
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- STALKER: Call of Pripyat
- Just Cause 2
- Borderlands: GOTY
- Witcher 2

In terms of regrets:

- I was GOING to regret Witcher 2, because I didn't pick it up when it was first on sale, but then the encore sale happened, so that's no longer a regret

- I kind of regret Guild Wars, simply because NCSoft's Support sucks ass, and took over two days to give me the name of the character I created and played for 10 minutes, locking me out of my account.

- I regret buying Alpha Protocol two weeks before the sale. Not the game, but that I paid $20 for it. Oh, who am I kidding? I fucking love Alpha Protocol.

Other than that, I'm fairly happy. Borderlands was doing a lot of screen tearing, but a manual edit to the config file fixed that. But it's clear that the textures were made for consoles, because when you see them all high-res, they look not terrific (at least on people).

MetalFearSolid said:
wow Blur was fun IMO..

Oh, the single player is fantastic but the multiplayer was the highlight for me on 360. Should have kept that version as I hear you can still find games.

I actually liked Beat Hazard as it originally was, but I kind of regret getting the "Ultra" DLC. It took an easy but amusing shooter and shoved in some unpleasant mechanics, especially all the tractor beam enemies that now screw with your ability to move, bounce you around, etc. I didn't play it all that much to begin with, now I'm not sure I want to touch it at all anymore.

Derrick01 said:
My regret is buying that Doc Clock game for the "easy" ticket. It was only like $1.20 but holy shit it's one of the worst games I've ever played in my ~20 years of gaming. There's not 1 good thing about that game.
I owned Doc Clock from some Indie Pack but had never played it. What a miserable experience it was getting to the Lava level. The "funny" dialogue literally obscures your progress at some points, and most of the time conversations don't finish because you actively have to stop and let them finish, instead of just hitting the enemies and moving on. The Rewind mechanic is ONLY there because the physics are shitty and unreliable, and sometimes even the rewinding doesn't even work right. Trying to build things is a nightmare, there's no way to force something to stay still or suspended in the air, so trying to bolt wheels onto your car is amazingly awkward. Your arm has a limited range, which makes building fun, and is sometimes impeded by obstructions, sometimes rolls right around them. There's no way to move objects that are glued together as a whole, they all come apart if you even just grab the wrong piece. The Doc has annoying animations for simple things like "can't walk past a wall" ("shrug!"), falling too far (which can kill him, even if you're just trying to get down from the top of your vehicle), and instead of walking up tilted inclines, he sometimes "climbs" up them like a stack of boxes. The game's not clear about which objects it will carry on to the next level, sometimes leaving behind important pieces like rotors, sometimes stocking them away properly in your backpack. The items you tack onto your vehicles are semi-automatic, which means rockets only fire if they align with certain axes while you're pressing certain arrow keys, and generally it means way too often you'll be flipped over and dragging yourself on your ass or face, and you won't care because it means you're at least making steady progress through the level.

Funnily enough, the game gets "better" when you can start just cheating through it: build a ship with three rotors (left, right, and up) and a parasol (and when you get them, some rockets), and take everything else off (except maybe a base if you need the spacing). You can then pretty much breeze through the levels without caring about 90% of the hazards, with much better maneuverability than if you had wheels or what have you.

I rarely say this, but the developers, if they're still in business, owe people refunds for taking their money with a product like this. At the very least, it's been too long for some simple patches to have not been made.

Napoleon: Total War is too big, I won't be able to install it until I get another Hard Drive but I've managed to fit Empire on my current one.

Top Bottom