• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Camp 2011 - Immediate Regrets :(

Chavelo

unpurposed said:
Fixed that for you. Tried playing Beat Hazard, after loving Audiosurf, and thought it was absolutely terrible. Thank god I only played the demo and didn't buy the game.
LOL no. :3

Kanye West and Daft Punk make the game gdlk.

Aaron

Bought a lot of stuff, only sort of regret the Oddworld pack since I couldn't get Stranger's Wrath to run. Other games play fine, but I bought it for SW.

Ferrio

Banned
First sale I haven't regretted anything. Most likely cause most of the stuff on sale I had already purchased or no care to buy whatsoever.

Purchased:

Frozen Synapse
Alpha Protocol

Both good games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mister Wilhelm said:
Audiosurf is horrible. I bought it after enjoying Beat Hazard so much, but it's seriously not even worth the $2 I spent on it.

I also regret buying BFBC2. It's just as bad as COD in terms of guys hiding in corners and killing you before you can turn around in straight deathmatch. I also don't find the big team objective games that fun, lots of cheap deaths and waiting to respawn.
Enjoying Beat Hazard, then playing Audiosurf afterwards and being unsatisfied with it? What is it, opposite day today?!

If I look at the games I bought individually, I have no regrets. But these purchases along with the ones from previous years sales, has now led me to have 73 installable items in my games list, and even I don´t have that big backlog (it´s about 5-6 games perhaps), it´s just many more games than I feel I really need and want.

OniShiro

Banned
I regret not buying Torchlight when it was cheaptastic.

I ended up buying X3 Gold, Neverwinter Nights 2, Toki Tori and TLJ + Dreamfall pack.

I bought:
Bit Trip Runner
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
C&C: Red Alert 3
Deus Ex Invisible War (bought the other one on GfW for $1)
Empire: Total War
Fatale
Flight Control HD
Garry's Mod
The Graveyard
Max Payne (bought the other one from GfW for $1)
Musaic Box
Napoleon: Total War
Port Royale 2
Recettear
Rush
Supreme Commander 2
Windowsill

Of the game I've played so far, these weren't worth it:
Flight Control HD ($1.25)
Port Royale 2 ($1.75)

Games I've played so far that I thought was worth it:
Recettear ($5)

Games I've played and am unsure about:
Rush ($1.25)

I bought:

Beat Hazzard
Boost Trooper
Horde
Monday Night Combat
Sanctum
Just Cause 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Bioshock 2
Dawn of War 2 Retribution
Garshasp
Terarria
Madballs BABO Invasion
AI War
Supreme Commander 2
Tropico 3
Recettear
Left 4 Dead 2
Killing Floor
Serious Sam 1st Encounter
Magicka Vietnam expansion
Penny Arcade Adventures 1&2
Frozen Synapse
Space Chem

What I regret:

Bioshock 2- already played it on 360. Not sure why I bought it again.

Mad balls BABO - it isn't bad co-op, but there are SO MANY more interesting games to play.

AI War- I kinda think I might dig it but think it may be too complex for my friends to get into co-op, which means it probably won't be played much. Also, we can't for the life of us figure out how to get a multiplayer game going.

Beat Hazard- As a "game," this game sucks. It is shallow and the concept is boring. I have no idea what I was thinking. I probably, stupidly bought it for the ticket, actually. It was not worth it. It is good if you want a cool music visualizer and you like to sit at your PC and listen to music, but this is not me. If I am playing a game, I want a real game with ga,e music. Again, I am not sure why I thought I'd enjoy it to begin with.

Everything else is great so far, even Garshasp. I have put three hours into it on easy and I am really enjoying it. Ive had no major bugs and it runs solid for me at least.

What I LOVE so far:

Monday Night Combat
Sanctum
Space Chem
Recettear

KyteTron

Banned
I don't have any regret in purchases since they were mostly gifts and worthwhile ones. Just sad I lost my chance to get Braid and Defense Grid.

Mr_Zombie

SteelAttack said:
Lol.

To be honest, I didn't like Audiosurf either. And I bought it at a $9.95 price back in 2008. It's probably my fault, but somehow I fail to see an actual connection between gameplay and music.
Seriously, you don't see how the track you're riding on connects to the music you're playing? Just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EECLvMy6Q

Fast music: your ship will speed up, the track is going downwards, there's more blocks, and most of them are either red or yellow (worth more points);
Slow music: your ship will slow down, the track is going upwards, less blocks and most them are either blue or purple (less points);

With a proper music, you can even make the track more bumpy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Oaear9jVE
;)

Dreavus

I regret my 3 impulse tf2 keys. I don't usually spring for these things but some of the stuff in the crates was looking pretty cool. Got my ass handed to me by getting a double of one item, not to mention the two kinds I did get I didn't particularly want, which means I've got to try and trade now.

I've learned my lesson with those and I'll be staying far away from now on.

Everything has been theoretically fine. I haven't had much time to actually play games yet since I was extremely busy during the week of the sale.

No real regrets from the few games I bought. Not thrilled with Test Drive Unlimited 2 because the social/lifestyle crap is a bit much and it's hiding the decent driving game underneath, but that's about it.

What I do regret however is that I can't get my friends to play Recettear. I beg them to buy it when it's cheap and no one does. I buy copies as gifts only to see them get lost in long lists of Steam games that never get played. At that point I'm helpless. I really do wish more people would look outside their comfort zone to try out new games like this.

Dreavus said:
I regret my 3 impulse tf2 keys. I don't usually spring for these things but some of the stuff in the crates was looking pretty cool.

I hear you mate. I've bought one key and one hat from the Mann Co. store and it was instant regret both times. I should not be spending money on that stuff.

Dreavus

spindoctor said:
No real regrets from the few games I bought. Not thrilled with Test Drive Unlimited 2 because the social/lifestyle crap is a bit much and it's hiding the decent driving game underneath, but that's about it.

What I do regret however is that I can't get my friends to play Recettear. I beg them to buy it when it's cheap and no one does. I buy copies as gifts only to see them get lost in long lists of Steam games that never get played. At that point I'm helpless. I really do wish more people would look outside their comfort zone to try out new games like this.

I hear you mate. I've bought one key and one hat from the Mann Co. store and it was instant regret both times. I should not be spending money on that stuff.

Oddly, I didn't have much of a problem with my hat purchase (which I got all at once with the keys). TBH I've really wanted that masquerade mask for the spy since it was released and I don't have a problem with spending the 2 bucks for that.

But those keys, man. Those silly keys... Feels real bad. :(

Demon Ice

Banned
I regret SC: Conviction. Game is terribly optimized for PC, in regards to the mouse control and graphical performance. Should have done my research :/

Artanisix

Beat Hazard hurts my eyes, and I feel like it's a shallow arcade-y kind of game. And there aren't even interesting powerups or mechanics. Lame.

The Tiny Bang Story is ehh. I was expecting something more amazing like Machinarium, but it's less of an adventure game and more of a LOOK REALLY CLOSE AND FIND 50 PUZZLES PIECES / 10 BALLS / 5 LIGHTBULBS / 6 PIPES ALL DISGUISED AS STUPID BULLSHIT. The art style is really charming though, so I'm still playing through it just to see it all, but I'm definitely not enjoying it all that much.

Windosill was only a $1 so I don't feel too bad about it, but it didn't last that long and the ending was kinda like, oh, that's it?

Eufloria I'm on the fence about. It's fun, but also really, really slow and a bit repetitive. I wish there was a way to speed the game up.

Games I am pleased to have purchased:
Audiosurf
Borderlands
Machinarium
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Sanctum
Shatter
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II - Retribution

All in all pretty good!

Belfast

Dreavus said:
I regret my 3 impulse tf2 keys. I don't usually spring for these things but some of the stuff in the crates was looking pretty cool. Got my ass handed to me by getting a double of one item, not to mention the two kinds I did get I didn't particularly want, which means I've got to try and trade now.

I've learned my lesson with those and I'll be staying far away from now on.

Everything has been theoretically fine. I haven't had much time to actually play games yet since I was extremely busy during the week of the sale.

Same here. Sprung on two keys for the summer cooler and got two sets of shitty spurs for a class I almost never play.

HEY KIDS! UNLOCK SOME COOL HATS. NO, YOU GET BOOTS! TWICE!

Morokh

I bought :

Frozen Synapse
Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Magicka (without DLC)

and that's it.

I already had an awesome evening playing Magicka with some friends, so no regrets.

Not disapointed, but some little regrets for now about Frozen Synapse, because I find it quite hard to get into, I can't even finish the first campain mission.

I'm sort of regretting picking up the Assassins Creed bundle, because of the massive ballache I am having trying to get my official wireless 360 controller to fucking work right with it.

I would expect this kind of crap with mapping a controller in an emulator or something, but not in a frigging AAA title from a major publisher that claims that their game is controller enabled.

Keikaku

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm sort of regretting picking up the Assassins Creed bundle, because of the massive ballache I am having trying to get my official wireless 360 controller to fucking work right with it.

I would expect this kind of crap with mapping a controller in an emulator or something, but not in a frigging AAA title from a major publisher that claims that their game is controller enabled.

It is. I just plugged mine right into the USB and it worked. The problem is likely on your end, not the games :(

Narag

Keikaku said:
It is. I just plugged mine right into the USB and it worked. The problem is likely on your end, not the games :(

It's a real bug with the wireless stuff. If one plugs in a wired controller, the wireless controller evidently works fine. It's a weird fix.

slidewinder said:
How do people find Beat Hazard "awful" and whatnot? Is it mostly the Jeff Minter-style visual overkill?

I'd wager it's track selection. Half the fun I've had so far was finding songs equally punishing and awesome to play.

Ashodin

Zombie James said:
That does look damn nice. Which mods are you running? My issue(s) with Oblivion aren't really to do with the visuals, though.
Running Qarl's Texture Pack, with Oblivion XP, the oblivion patch, and pretty much that's it. I think I'm gonna get Oblivion stutter as well.

Javaman

crimsonheadGCN said:
I regret buying The Last Remnant. Well, it's not because it's a poor game. It's just that I waited till the last moment of the daily deal and the price had already increased back to normal and I wasn't paying attention. I was like oh shit, gotta hit buy before the price went back up since I missed it the last time around. I hit buy and then looked at price being 26.99 or something like that. lol
The exact same thing happened with me and Guns of Icarus at the end of a previous sale. I contacted steam support and they did a "one time only" refund. I ended up picking it up during a later sale. Worth a shot unless you want to play the game now. My only regret is paying $15 for Dow2 retribution when it could have been bought for $7.5 later. Best deal for me was the Telltale everything pack. I regret missing it years ago, but got an even more amazing deal since it now includes BTTF, Wallace. And Sam and Max season 3.

I regret being gifted Super SF4: Arcade Edition because Corky is working me to the bone :(

My left thumb is blistered so bad. That's one reason to play with a stick at least.

Narag said:
I'd wager it's track selection. Half the fun I've had so far was finding songs equally punishing and awesome to play.
Yeah, that's true. Even some of the built-in songs have pretty awful pacing.

jediyoshi

Artanisix said:
Beat Hazard hurts my eyes, and I feel like it's a shallow arcade-y kind of game. And there aren't even interesting powerups or mechanics. Lame.

Wat, is being arcade-y inherently bad? And how long did you not last in any given game to not have run into a single pick up?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Azure Phoenix said:
Sims 3 Complete Pack

Bought it in a moment of weakness since I loved the original Sims and never tried the second one - what a crushing disappointment. The controls are irritating, the interface is cluttered and the music is bland, however the worse offender is the gameplay. Instead of actually expanding the game in ways that would make sense (weather, seasons, pets) they've focused on completely useless fluff like vampires.

Honestly it feels exactly the same as Sims 1 with more up to date (but probably not better) visuals and a lot of rubbish tacked on.

Um, it is leaps and stages beyond Sims 1. There's more to do in this game. It's a bigger leap compared to 1->2 where it was just a graphical update.

Javaman

PBalfredo said:
I regret not buying Hoard when it was on the daily deals. But I picked it up today and already put three hours into it. Great game.
Somehow I got it for free. I Dled the demo then it turned into the full version when they released a patch due to people not being able to play the full game after buying it. Still showed up in my wishlist and with a price on the store page (instead of a play now button) Wierd.

Nabs

TyrantGuardian said:
I regret being gifted Super SF4: Arcade Edition because Corky is working me to the bone :(

My left thumb is blistered so bad. That's one reason to play with a stick at least.

I had to play with my 360 pad until I figured out x360ce. My hand still hates me for that.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Bought Terraria for €5 to see what the fuzz was all about. That game... is... bori...

*snore*

Bought:

X3
Witcher 2
Solar 2
Warhammer Dawn of War
Shogun 2
Beat Hazard
Terraria
Magicka
Atom Zombie Smasher
Fate of the World

Regrets:

Nothing really, Fate of the World seems like something I will play once or twice. Other than FOTW everything else is awesome.

Artanisix

jediyoshi said:
Wat, is being arcade-y inherently bad? And how long did you not last in any given game to not have run into a single pick up?

Shallow arcade-y. Of course being arcade-like isn't bad, I absolutely love games like Jamestown, Ikaruga, etc., but Beat Hazard just doesn't seem... right. I don't think it pulls off the scoring very well or in a compelling manner. Ikaruga is beautiful, skillful, and technical, whereas Beat Hazard is just dumb.

And yes, there are pickups, but they don't do anything interesting or cool. Woohoo, increase the volume on your song or make your gun slightly more eye-strain-inducing, or a pickup that increases your multiplier. That's not creative in the least.

glaurung

Bought a bunch of stuff, not really regretting any of it.

But finding the actual time to play any of it is going to be a massive problem... so that's kind of a regret right there.

Sblargh

Banned
Zombie James said:
Oblivion.jpg

See, I tried it years before and immediately felt that it didn't like up to how people were hyping it, but hey, STEAM SALE = CHEAP so I thought I'd give it another try.

...damn it :(

I bought on the daily deal, which I think it was the first or second day, and it is the only game I've played from the sale so far. :lol
67 hours into it.

Carm

Artanisix said:
Shallow arcade-y. Of course being arcade-like isn't bad, I absolutely love games like Jamestown, Ikaruga, etc., but Beat Hazard just doesn't seem... right. I don't think it pulls off the scoring very well or in a compelling manner. Ikaruga is beautiful, skillful, and technical, whereas Beat Hazard is just dumb.

And yes, there are pickups, but they don't do anything interesting or cool. Woohoo, increase the volume on your song or make your gun slightly more eye-strain-inducing, or a pickup that increases your multiplier. That's not creative in the least.

You clearly have not played Ultra heh. There are weapon/shield pickups now. And you're comparing an indie game made by one man, to Ikaruga...

Shadybiz

So far, I regret none of my purchases. However, I do regret NOT picking up Recettear when it was up. Don't know why I hesitated. Ah well, still got lots of cool stuff.

Carm said:
You clearly have not played Ultra heh. There are weapon/shield pickups now. And you're comparing an indie game made by one man, to Ikaruga...
Yeah, and there's a fair amount of in-game strategy around working the daredevil multiplier versus killing as much stuff as possible. Then when you add in the limited perk system (as compared to the old level-up-and-get-everything one) where you want to switch out your perks depending on song length and tempo, and there's another level of depth to it if you play for score. It's definitely not, nowadays anyways, shallow compared to your average twin-stick shooter.

Polk

Both AaAaAA!!! and Bit.Trip Runner wasn't as fun as I though. They're not bad games though. Just was expecting something better (different?).

I bought:
Civilization V off GG (wow this game is awesome)
Frozen Synapse (haven't tried yet)
Universe Sandbox

No regrets yet and I think it'll stay that way.

Acosta

Not getting Blood Bowl because I was away and had no computer to use :( Now it´s too expensive for a impulse buy.

Not getting Retribution when it was super cheap.

I haven't played anything yet :p

scitek

Waku said:
Garshasp: Was looking forward to this Indie GoW but the fucking thing won't even properly start. After i fixed the problem with Flash that was preventing it from even Starting up i am now stuck at the loading screen to the first level where it will just freeze and crash.

Fucking thing sucks.

Ahaha, same problem here, only I can't get past the Flash problem. Good to know that's not even the last thing I'll potentially face.

Baha

I see two people here who got Stubbs and can't play it. If you're nvidia users, use 260.89 drivers. I did this as well as added Stubbs.exe and OpenALwEAX.exe (both found in the steam Stubbs folder) to the DEP exception list. That should let you load the game and play it properly. There's an ATI fix out there as well but I'm too lazy to look. Check the Stubbs steam forum for more info.

MNC

I regret buying AssCreed pack. 3 awesome games but considering the price I could've bought more within my budget with those 20 bucks. Stupid stupid me...

deleted

Shaneus said:
Bought King Arthur. Regretted it the next day when I realised the game I wanted to buy was actually King's Bounty.

Happened to me last year. Got King's Bounty later and its a great game. Never launched King Arthur though.

Top Bottom