• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Camp 2011 - Immediate Regrets :(

TGMIII

tci said:
I did, but it was still a pretty bad game.

And you could tell this from the first few seconds of the game? :lol

I don't regret buying anything from this sale but I'm finding X3 hard to get into.

spootime

subversus said:
Steam is too overloaded to process your request. Try again.

It isn't this. Every other one of my games works fine and I have been unable to open the game for 4 days now. Reinstalls did nothing either.

MNC

Someone tell me if buying Vampire will make me regret stuff as well. 10 euros, I know the game is good but I will have spent 50 euros/44 pounds/70 USD on stuff :/

anddo0

AuidoSurf: Not terrible. Not really sure what I was expecting out of it.

Fallout 3 GOTY- I regret not grabbing it at $10.

MNC said:
Someone tell me if buying Vampire will make me regret stuff as well. 10 euros, I know the game is good but I will have spent 50 euros/44 pounds/70 USD on stuff :/

also, it's been 7,50 dollars on other DD platforms. So there's little incentive, aside from a real sale on it, to buy it on Steam.

On the bright side, War for Cybertron and Singularity were reasonably priced for Activision standards. Not quite 'instant buy' price yet, but at least they seem to getting there. (also, Batman had the same price, even when it was less in the holiday sale, if I remember correctly). I'm hoping to see Activision break the 5 bucks barrier in the next holiday sale.
Including Vampire this time. :p

Mimir

Flight Control HD. It was only $1.25, but I hated it. After getting the achievement, it was uninstalled and put into my Zero Interest category.

Not sure about Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution. Seems like a decent game, but I doubt I'll play it enough to really justify buying it at $15.

There are still a fair number of games I haven't played yet. I'm not sure if X3: Terran Conflict was a good idea. I'm not sure if I'll be investing the time required to really understand the game.

My only regret is spending so much money. I kind of regret not picking up Oblivion Deluxe but knew I wouldn't be getting around to it before the winter sale.
Actually now that I think about it I'm hoping there is a return of the indie packs because I wouldn't mind a few of those mentioned in the indie/cheap game thread.

edit: I regret picking up the doom pack as I will eventually pick up all the other iD titles and the super pack is cheaper than getting each one individually. :(

...so I have a few regrets.

Got a chance to play some of the cheap/indie games I bought on the final day.

Eets is decent, but not quite living up to the description of Incredible Machine meets Lemmings in terms of quality. A high bar to set for the 1 or 2 bucks I spent, and I'm fairly early in the game, but that was my initial impression. Not a regret per se, but not quite as good as I hoped.

Eternity's Child doesn't play well at all. Not sure I'll ever touch it again after 4-5 platforms in.

Everyday Shooter I want to like, but I don't like how the shooting is restricted to 8 directions even when using a 360 pad. Also, I have a hard time seeing what I have to avoid sometimes because all the colors kind of blur together.

All in all, I'm a little disappointed in the indie games I've played so far, as I usually have high expectations for them. I still have Shatter, Toki Tori, and Puzzle Agent to try out and so I'm still hopeful that my final day of purchases weren't all bad decisions.

Vlad

MegaKungFuRadio said:
All in all, I'm a little disappointed in the indie games I've played so far, as I usually have high expectations for them. I still have Shatter, Toki Tori, and Puzzle Agent to try out and so I'm still hopeful that my final day of purchases weren't all bad decisions.

Shatter is good stuff, so hopefully you'll at least enjoy that one.

I haven't tried all the stuff I picked up yet (Portal 2's downloading now) but so far I'm mildly disappointed in Atom Zombie Smasher. I tried the demo and enjoyed it, and was expecting the full game to really expand on it, but after going through the campaign a few times (losing twice, winning twice) there really isn't much else beyond where the demo ends. Sure, you can start researching stuff, but the research items are just buffs to existing units.

I see that there's a mod menu, so hopefully there are some mods to the game that give it some added depth.

Still, I can't be TOO bummed out about it, since I only spent three bucks on the game. I kind of put it in the same category as Flight Control: something fun to kill five minutes every so often, but not a hugely deep experience overall.

I regret super laser racer, and Chime. Both games are ok, but are good examples of me trying the demos first before buying. I was expecting laser racer to control like Geo Wars but controls like shit.

One regret that I didn't buy was Assassins creed 2. I wanted to get this but there was no mention of Controller Support or if it has windows live on the page description. If anyone has it can you confirm?

hemtae

I regret leaving the house with those "friends" to have some "fun" when I could have gotten home nice healthy Neverwinter Nights 2 instead. Seriously, of all the days Steam picked for it to go on sale...

But to be on topic, Just Cause 2 runs like crap on my comp even with all the setting on low and I can't be bothered to figure out why right now.

Toonami 99 said:
I regret super laser racer, and Chime. Both games are ok, but are good examples of me trying the demos first before buying. I was expecting laser racer to control like Geo Wars but controls like shit.

One regret that I didn't buy was Assassins creed 2. I wanted to get this but there was no mention of Controller Support or if it has windows live on the page description. If anyone has it can you confirm?

As per my previous post in this topic, and this is for AC1 and 2 but not bloodlines;

- if you have a wired 360 controller, you're fine
- If you only have a wireless controller, the game is basically broken unless you start using 360 controller emulation software to create dll and ini files and place them in the right directories on a per game basis.

It's frankly ridiculous for a major title from a major publisher.

EDIT: Motionjoy counts as a 'wireless 360 controller' too, annoyingly.

Bought Hydrophobia shortly before the sale.

It's the worst game I have ever played. Aside from the interesting water tech there is nothing good about the game. Bad Characters, Bad Voices, Bad Story, Bad Levels, Bad Controls, Bad Gameplay, Bad Framerate, Bad game.

No one should ever have to be put through that water torture. Christ.

I'm concerned that I'm not going to get into Tropico 3...but give me a few days or so.

Also I bought the Freedom Force pack, and started up 3rd Reich and it crashed almost at the end of the tutorial. Hmm. I'm hesitant to give it another try. That said it only cost like 14 cents or something so I'm not that bummed about it.

Buttonbasher said:

It's the worst game I have ever played. Aside from the interesting water tech there is nothing good about the game. Bad Characters, Bad Voices, Bad Story, Bad Levels, Bad Controls, Bad Gameplay, Bad Framerate, Bad game.

I bought the game on XBLA for 400 points about 4 months back, only played it for an hour or two and have no interest in going back.

jackdoe

Buttonbasher said:

You should have tried the demo as the demo pretty much shows you what you'll get. Of course, you'd need an Xbox 360 to try it out since I see no demo option on Steam.

jackdoe said:
You should have tried the demo as the demo pretty much shows you what you'll get. Of course, you'd need an Xbox 360 to try it out since I see no demo option on Steam.
Yeah I played the demo, but figured it might go somewhere.

It didn't.

Diablohead said:
I bought the game on XBLA for 400 points about 4 months back, only played it for an hour or two and have no interest in going back.
I got to the final boss after 2.5 hours and it was too broken to complete. I watched the remaining 2 minutes I had left on YouTube. You beat it, then watch credits. That's all I missed.

Never again.

Blu10

Magicka, and Guardians of Graxia for me

Magicka: I'm sure there are a lot of people who love this game, but I recently picked up a new pc after 5 years, and I started with torchlight. Magicka pales in comparison... perhaps that's an unfair comparison, because Magicka doesn't really seem like a loot based game, but that's what I'm looking for in a dungeon crawler

Guardians of Graxia: Not even sure what to say about this game, other than the tutorial blows, it didn't teach me anything, and left me to flounder through the game. Gave up after 30 minutes and deleted it

On the flip side I discovered Company of Heroes, and Frozen Synapse... I've put a good 30 hrs into them since I picked them up... plus coming from a console gamer... I picked up 12 games (of which 2 I consider a waste) for the price of 1 xbox game

Derrick01

Banned
zazrx said:
War for Cybertron, what an incredible piece of shit.

I've seen so many people say this since it went on sale which surprises me because I was under the assumption that it was a good game, going by reviews and player impressions. I chose to not buy it since I'm not a transformers guy really, but is it that bad?

My regret is buying that Doc Clock game for the "easy" ticket. It was only like $1.20 but holy shit it's one of the worst games I've ever played in my ~20 years of gaming. There's not 1 good thing about that game.

Derrick01 said:
I've seen so many people say this since it went on sale which surprises me because I was under the assumption that it was a good game, going by reviews and player impressions. I chose to not buy it since I'm not a transformers guy really, but is it that bad?

My regret is buying that Doc Clock game for the "easy" ticket. It was only like $1.20 but holy shit it's one of the worst games I've ever played in my ~20 years of gaming. There's not 1 good thing about that game.

War for Cybertron is a really fun game especially the multiplayer.

Eusis

Derrick01 said:
I get the impression it's pretty great if you wanted to play Gears of War but with Transformers. For anyone who doesn't either care (very much anyway) for that type of gameplay or Transformers though it's nothing special, I imagine something like Vanquish or Uncharted is a better choice for people who want a Gears alternative.

Snapshot King said:
Arx Fatalis was recommended in the final steam sale topic. What a pile of shit.

It might be a lot of things, but a pile of shit isn't one of them.

Blu10 said:
Magicka, and Guardians of Graxia for me

Magicka: I'm sure there are a lot of people who love this game, but I recently picked up a new pc after 5 years, and I started with torchlight. Magicka pales in comparison... perhaps that's an unfair comparison, because Magicka doesn't really seem like a loot based game, but that's what I'm looking for in a dungeon crawler

Guardians of Graxia: Not even sure what to say about this game, other than the tutorial blows, it didn't teach me anything, and left me to flounder through the game. Gave up after 30 minutes and deleted it

On the flip side I discovered Company of Heroes, and Frozen Synapse... I've put a good 30 hrs into them since I picked them up... plus coming from a console gamer... I picked up 12 games (of which 2 I consider a waste) for the price of 1 xbox game

The tutorial teaches you everything you need to know, and the game is pretty simplistic to begin with.

Oh.. I see.

EDIT: Thought I was in the normal Steam thread. Carry on with your complaints/regrets.

Rokal

Derrick01 said:

I enjoyed it on 360. I get the impression it plays better with a controller. Regardless, the multiplayer (co-op campaign, Horde mode, and especially the fortress-style pvp) is the highlight of the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Eusis said:
I get the impression it's pretty great if you wanted to play Gears of War but with Transformers. For anyone who doesn't either care (very much anyway) for that type of gameplay or Transformers though it's nothing special, I imagine something like Vanquish or Uncharted is a better choice for people who want a Gears alternative.

That's pretty much the impression I always got from it too, that it was a Gears clone. I'll probably pick it up in the winter sale if it's $5 or less.

Blu10

LocoMrPollock said:
The tutorial teaches you everything you need to know, and the game is pretty simplistic to begin with.

Oh.. I see.

EDIT: Thought I was in the normal Steam thread. Carry on with your complaints/regrets.

You are right, the game taught me that I have cards, I get new cards per turn, I can place the cards, and move them... Oh I get spells too... There was no rock, paper, scissors that you get in most games, no real stratagy that I could decern. Great now I have two guys against your one... I win.

Where as playing Frozen Synapse, movement, character placement, cover, shooting at the start of turn vs the middle or end, cover, pathing, line of sight, and speciality all mix together perfectly for a great turn based stratagy game.

Just because I usually play xbox or ps3 games does not mean that I play the simplest games out there, and need constant hand holding. I just expect a basic understanding of a game... Perhaps I was unclear when I spoke about the tutorial. I expected a card based stratagy game, and found a watered down version of checkers

JDS 1977

Banned
echoshifting said:
I completely regret antagonizing gaf chat and earning myself a copy of gumboy.

edit: Beat Hazard hate is proof that gaf is capable of hating anything, even pure joy.

you had it coming.

Blu10 said:
You are right, the game taught me that I have cards, I get new cards per turn, I can place the cards, and move them... Oh I get spells too... There was no rock, paper, scissors that you get in most games, no real stratagy that I could decern. Great now I have two guys against your one... I win.

Where as playing Frozen Synapse, movement, character placement, cover, shooting at the start of turn vs the middle or end, cover, pathing, line of sight, and speciality all mix together perfectly for a great turn based stratagy game.

Just because I usually play xbox or ps3 games does not mean that I play the simplest games out there, and need constant hand holding. I just expect a basic understanding of a game... Perhaps I was unclear when I spoke about the tutorial. I expected a card based stratagy game, and found a watered down version of checkers

Good grief man. How you figured out how to play Frozen Synapse is beyond me if you can't figure out the basics of GoG.

Guardians is not shallow or watered down at all, it's very deep and it gets quite difficult as the maps get bigger and you have to deal with multiple enemies and objectives, but the basic mechanics of it should be pretty simple to pick up. And it's nothing like checkers, the two games have absolutely nothing in common, at all.

Eusis

Derrick01 said:
That's pretty much the impression I always got from it too, that it was a Gears clone. I'll probably pick it up in the winter sale if it's $5 or less.
I have to admit I haven't played more than a little at an instore demo, but I haven't really seen anything that disproves the notion. I'll probably grab it in a $5 sale too if it ever gets that low, just for series nostalgia.

Grinchy

Banned
I am starting to regret not buying the GTA4 pack for $10. I know that I would eventually get around to playing it some day. Even if I only did that a handful of times, $10 seems like it would be worth it.

LocoMrPollock said:
It might be a lot of things, but a pile of shit isn't one of them.

Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance, but it looks terrible, runs poorly and controls awful. Someone wanna give me the carrot I should be looking for at the end of this stick?

I got batman and just cause 2 and am extremely happy with both purchases. For the prices i got them for, even if they were shit I couldn't really say much but they are seriously two of the most fun games you can possibly get on pc.

My regret is the fact just cause 2 doesn't have live achievements. i feel sick even writing that because of how it sounds but i have a valid reason. i have a friend who seems hell bent on catching my gamerscore so he can brag about how big his epenis is compared to mine. I've been miles ahead of him for ages because he not only sucks, but i tend to simply try and fully 1000 point games instead of buying as many as possible (what he does). Well since I've been playing pc games more recently my gamerscore has kinda stopped while that moron continues his 360 fail quest. i found windows live is an awesome way to get achievements while playing stuff i wanna play on my pc. just cause 2 would have been a great source of gamerscore for me on gfwl Haha. pathetic regret i know, but seriously its no big deal at all.

Darksiders.

I can't get the fucking game to work. The menus go crazy, and when I can actually get in game, I just run around in a circle while the camera pans endlessly around the character. :(

Snapshot King said:
Maybe I didn't give it much of a chance, but it looks terrible, runs poorly and controls awful. Someone wanna give me the carrot I should be looking for at the end of this stick?

It's a great game, but yeah, it's 10 years old.

plc268

MrNyarlathotep said:
I'm sort of regretting picking up the Assassins Creed bundle, because of the massive ballache I am having trying to get my official wireless 360 controller to fucking work right with it.

I would expect this kind of crap with mapping a controller in an emulator or something, but not in a frigging AAA title from a major publisher that claims that their game is controller enabled.

Check this out, it should fix it. It applies to both AC1 and AC2.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7211014258/m/4091001958

It's completely ridiculous that you have to do this, but it's fixable.

Lost Soul

It only cost me $3.70 so no biggie but I regret Monday Night Combat because the little time i put into it felt like i was just killing rows of bots and probably won't play it any more when I have BFBC2, COD 4, BLOPS, CSS and TF2.

deadnoob

I regret not buying anything. I just built my first ever PC and I feel like I missed out.

Oh well, I still have TF2 and SC2 :)

plc268 said:
Check this out, it should fix it. It applies to both AC1 and AC2.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7211014258/m/4091001958

It's completely ridiculous that you have to do this, but it's fixable.

I found what I had to do before making that post via the steam forums, but thanks for helping anyway.

I'm just annoyed that I gave Ubisoft any money for it in the first place, because I was doubledipping to get AC1 and AC2 on Steam (have them on console anyway) and they clearly don't give a fuck about their PC userbase for this to still be an issue that hasn't been officially patched.

Just leaves a poor taste in the mouth giving someone money for a half assed job.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eternity's Child was only a buck but man is it ever a festering shitpile. Looks nice enough but it plays so poorly. Ugh.

Dina

BIT.TRIP RUNNER.
Asthetically unpleasing, boring gameplay. Uninstalled it after beating level 5.

Magicka is also pretty meh.

Top Bottom