• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up Trine 2, its been sitting in my wishlist for a whole now.

So far: Antichamber, Cart Life, Super Hexagon, Magical Drop V, FTL, Penny Arcade 4, System Shock 2 and Trine 2. Only spent about ~5$ that wasn't made by selling trading cards.

Mainly hoping for a Wadjet Eye sale so I can get Primordia now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's fun! But it's more for short bursts of satisfying that itchy trigger finger. It's essentially similar to CoD's zombie mode put into a full fledged game. It's better in MP where you work together to defend against waves. It's amusing for what it is but not significantly deep.

That's the Sniper Elite thing right? What I have seen of it looked pretty bad. I liked Sniper elite V2 but that thing seemed to emphasize everything but sniping.

As long as you don't expect it to be a sniping game, go for it.

Thanks guys.

elhav

It is a great port. I bought and played through it earlier this year using a Xbox 360 gamepad. It was an excellent experience, and this is coming from someone who played through both Jet Set Radio and Jet Grind Radio for the Dreamcast.

Great. Thanks a bunch :) Heard so many good things about it, gonna snap this up right now.

derExperte

I have one question: I have like 40 boxed PC-games. There's no way I can get them in Steam, right? Or does it depend on the title? For instance, I have the rollercoaster tycoon 3 and half-life 2 games and expansions on disk, but I see they are in the Steam store and I think it's way easier to have them there. Also feels 'better' to have the entire collection in once place (aka steam). And I guess stuff like the new SimCity and Battlefield 3 (which I have on disc) are also not on Steam thanks to EA's Origin? Thanks in advance for the answers!

HL2 requires Steam, it has a key inside the box. New EA = no Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually had Steam for years (since the release of Half-Life 2) but this Summer Sale finally made me use it. I already have like 35 games haha.

I have one question: I have like 40 boxed PC-games. There's no way I can get them in Steam, right? Or does it depend on the title? For instance, I have the rollercoaster tycoon 3 and half-life 2 games and expansions on disk, but I see they are in the Steam store and I think it's way easier to have them there. Also feels 'better' to have the entire collection in once place (aka steam). And I guess stuff like the new SimCity and Battlefield 3 (which I have on disc) are also not on Steam thanks to EA's Origin? Thanks in advance for the answers!

I am a big console gamer by the way, always have all consoles, but I guess Steam is finally making me try out PC-gaming. I have a high spec PC I bought two years ago that can handle almost all games though, so it is a shame I didn't use it earlier!

Valve's own retail key list can be found here, although it's not exhaustive (no RE6, for instance), so if there are any games you're unsure about, you can either test them out yourself or just ask.

Edit: RT3 won't register on Steam, and you're correct about SimCity and BF3 requiring Origin.

Valve's own retail key list can be found here, although it's not exhaustive (no RE6, for instance), so if there are any games you're unsure about, you can either test them out yourself or just ask.

Edit: RT3 won't register on Steam, and you're correct about SimCity and BF3 requiring Origin.

Alright, thanks a lot, very helpful community in this topic :)

JaseC

EA. They price games high on steam so they can undercut them on origin (Sims 3 is 5$ on origin vs 15$ on steam).

Kingdoms of Amalur is self-published on Steam, first by 38 Studios itself and now (technically) by the state of Rhode Island. Since it's an EA Partners game, EA doesn't actually own the IP: the government of Rhode Island does.

Wunder

Kingdoms of Amalur is self-published on Steam, first by 38 Studios itself and now by the state of Rhode Island. Since it's an EA Partners game, EA doesn't actually own the IP: the government of Rhode Island does.

damn you government of rhode island! Give me 80% off!

JaseC

damn you government of rhode island! Give me 80% off!

I'm surprised it's not on sale at the moment. Given Tony's pursuit of Steam keys for Amazon actually had the unintended effect of having somebody close to the situation give the green light for it to be a Daily on Steam, I figured somebody there would have handled the game's inclusion in this year's Summer Sale.

Raggie

I'm surprised it's not on sale at the moment. Given Tony's pursuit of Steam keys for Amazon actually had the unintended effect of having somebody close to the situation give the green light for it to be a Daily, I figured somebody there would have handled the game's inclusion in this year's Summer Sale.

I have no idea of what you're talking about, but I'm under the impression that most profit on Steam is done in sales (after the release rush) so you'd think they'd want to keep doing more sales.

mclem

I meant in the sense of their actual utility. Steam cards have completely 100% funded all of my purchases this sale.

Well, my point was that they have utility in that they increase your chances to get more cards to flog.

Given you have to consume 6-10 cards to do so, however, it's probably not a profitable venture.

jamsy

This may be a dumb question but I'm pretty new to using Steam even though I've had an account for years (for HL2 and TF2 back in the day)...

If I activate a key on Steam can I trade/gift it later if I never downloaded it?

Prophane33

Wow, so Left 4 Dead 2 won. I swore up and down that Day Z was going to win, leave it to the Steam community to vote for a game 75% of them already have. So what was the big Konami sale?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This may be a dumb question but I'm pretty new to using Steam even though I've had an account for years (for HL2 and TF2 back in the day)...

If I activate a key on Steam can I trade/gift it later if I never downloaded it?

No, you would need to give away the key instead. Once you activate a game it is tied to your account. No option to put it in your inventory unless it's been changed recently.

JaseC

I have no idea of what you're talking about, but I'm under the impression that most profit on Steam is done in sales (after the release rush) so you'd think they'd want to keep doing more sales.

The bloke who spearheads Amazon's DD deals, Cheers Tony, got in contact with a bloke close to the situation with RI and 38 Studios (the company was liquidated as it owed around $100m to the state), who, after a bit of a back-and-forth, agreed to provide Amazon with a whole bunch of Steam keys to sell. Weeks went by and Tony hadn't heard anything nor could he get in touch with the person he was talking to; fast-forward to March, the Steam version saw a base price drop and went on sale for 24 hours.

As of early June, the game's continued presence on Steam, after 38 Studios shut up shop, has made Rhode Island approximately $713k richer.

Oublieux

Unfortunately, no. If you'd like to gift it, you'd have to give the key to someone. The only games that are tradeable/giftable are those that go in your inventory (IE: bought from the store or traded for).

cicero

That's what I did, but OWB and Lonesome Road are really the only good DLCs, the others might still be worth playing through if you really like the game, and the rest are just item packs
At a whole extra $2.49 for them all if you buy the Ultimate Edition, why bother discriminating and taking the time to buy the base game and only two DLC instead of the Ultimate Edition when buying Old World Blues and Lonesome Road alone will cost the same amount as everything in the Ultimate Edition?

Just buy the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition, people. The value is clearly better for the entire package.

Volotaire

Guys, why can't I access any of these games from the Sonic Bundle I bought fro the steam pricing mistake:

Dr Robotnik's Bean Mean Machine
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball

They seem to be all older games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom