• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this isn't out of place but figured I'd ask here considering the speed of the thread.

I bought Ys I and II plus Origin. Is conventional wisdom that I should start with Origin first?

NZNova

This is the most interesting part of that article for me...

Because of that, the Rhode Island Republican Party is now demanding that the state default on its debt, saying there's no legal obligation to pay the bonds it issued to support the loan guarantees that brought the developer to the state.

Wish I had that option with my mortgage, lol

When you put Gunpoint or Monaco against Natural Selection 2 or Torchlight 2, you already know who is going to win.
But either way, the Community has proven they only care about the number of the discount not the quality of game.

I have a passion for gaming, it's the best medium out there, and I consider what makes the game good and worthy of my vote. Not just because it has the biggest discount

Still indies should go up against indies. That's only fair

cicero

God dammit. Lost the evo finals and now this. Alcohol, you dirty mistress.

Torchlight 2 will prolly show up again though. Heres hoping.

Did you just toast the probability of a correction to an alcohol based mistake with yet another drink from your bottle of... delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a Steam Sale!

7pBpEnc.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this isn't out of place but figured I'd ask here considering the speed of the thread.

I bought Ys I and II plus Origin. Is conventional wisdom that I should start with Origin first?

Origin is best played after 1 and 2, but it plays almost nothing like them. So if you try to play them first and don't really like them, don't write off Origin.

In the end the only games that really need to be played in order are Ys 1 then Ys 2, there's a reason they are pretty much always bundled. Other than that you can play them in any order. Origin does tie into 1 and 2 a lot, but the connections/references go both ways. It's just a bit stronger with 1 and 2 first since Origin will spoil a lot of the story.

marrec

Banned
But either way, the Community has proven they only care about the number of the discount not the quality of game.

I have a passion for gaming, it's the best medium out there, and I consider what makes the game good and worthy of my vote. Not just because it has the biggest discount

Still indies should go up against indies. That's only fair

The general public doesn't even educate itself when it's voting for President, you think they're going to do research when faced with a choice between 3 video games?

Can't blame them, I just hope a lot of people check out Gunpoint when it does go on sale.

The_Monk

Don't think so, you're fine!

Unless you missed Torchlight 2 flash. You probs have it.

Yes, I already have it and it's a good game fellow GAFfer.

Tomb Raider Collection is 75 off for another 5 hours, hurry!

This is good but I already have some of them so I would prefer just to get one or two from that Collection. :/

You missed the sunrise, fellow GAFfer

This is true, let's hope I can see it tomorrow.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
how do I check? via the Library DLC tab?

Yeah, but if you bought the Goblin's Menace DLC prior to release of Complete Story, then you wouldn't be able to purchase the upgrade for yourself (I can't), so you've already answered your own question. ;)

H3xum

I want Monaco, but, I hate to sound like a spoiled Steamer, I want more than 50%

I'd rather pay full price and play with some friends on XBLA

Now ask me that again when its at $5

kevin1025

Banned
Origin is best played after 1 and 2, but it plays almost nothing like them. So if you try to play them first and don't really like them, don't write off Origin.

In the end the only games that really need to be played in order are Ys 1 then Ys 2, there's a reason they are pretty much always bundled. Other than that you can play them in any order. Origin does tie into 1 and 2 a lot, but the connections/references go both ways. It's just a bit stronger with 1 and 2 first since Origin will spoil a lot of the story.

Where does Oath sit in terms of the continuity? Is it sort of off on its own?

wilflare

Yeah, but if you bought the Goblin's Menace DLC prior to release of Complete Story, then you wouldn't be able to purchase the upgrade for yourself (I can't), so you've already answered your own question. ;)

thanks man :D
and u still got the best looking avatar

Saiyan-Rox

No it's not, of course it's better but it's not a necessity.
And you should just give the game a 2nd try, the beginning may be weird but it will fast be more understandable.

I think i got upto the first boss in some swamp if I remember correctly? can't remember anything after that apart from getting lost in some forest lol probably remembering that wrong tho. I'm surprised there was no major "previously in the witcher" thing especially on the xbox version anyway.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Where does Oath sit in terms of the continuity? Is it sort of off on its own?

Oath is a remake of Ys 3. And it takes place after Ys Origin, 1, 2, and 4. It doesn't refer to anything from those games except "Adol is friends with Dogi."

(Oath does, however, have some not-so-obvious ties with a later game in the series that's not on Steam... yet).

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Im not drunk anymore, but i still cant find a place to see the games i own on the mobile steam app. What the hell?

Tap your name from them menu to see your profile. There's a list of some games there with a link below to see all of them.

adaen

Somebody responded to the same question posed by me (thanks, btw!, just got up to see the message) and he said that it's a game that he can only really recommend to enthusiasts of the genre, and only then with hesitation. You have to really enjoy hating the game at some point, because it is very difficult.

I passed based on that, but would probably pick it up somewhere down the line if it got cheaper. I'm a huge HoM&M fan, but even then I get bored/frustrated with the game after so long.

Ah thanks, this thread is moving too fast. It's really intimidating to see it moving 10+ pages after being away for a few hours.

Still slightly tempted as I don't mind hard games from time to time as long as they aren't unfair. But I guess, I'll wait for a future deal or even the inevitable inclusion in a bundle. It is still outside of my impulse buy range.

Karu

Just reached Level 5. Is there any chance I get my missed out-Community Vote-cards?! I wonder, because the system reminded me every I vote about my current vote-count and the card-thing. Would be cool, but guess not!?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just reached Level 5. Is there any chance I get my missed out-Community Vote-cards?! I wonder, because the system reminded me every I vote about my current vote-count and the card-thing. Would be cool, but guess not!?
Yeah you'll get what you would have earned through voting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thanks man :D
and u still got the best looking avatar

<3

Nah, you won't receive "grace votes". The Summer Sale cards are next to worthless now, anyway.

Volotaire

First person to quote gets a Sniper Ghost Warrior Gold Edition 90% off Coupon. Can't be arsed with modbot with this, it's not worth the time. PM me your steam ID so I can trade (give ) it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom