• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

The bloke who spearheads Amazon's DD deals, Cheers Tony, got in contact with a bloke close to the situation with RI and 38 Studios (the company was liquidated as it owed around $100m to the state), who, after a bit of a back-and-forth, agreed to provide Amazon with a whole bunch of Steam keys to sell. Weeks went by and Tony hadn't heard anything nor could he get in touch with the person he was talking to; fast-forward to March, the Steam version saw a base price drop and went on sale for 24 hours.

As of early June, the game's continued presence on Steam after 38 Studios shut up shop had made Rhode Island approximately $713k richer.
That's actually pretty interesting.

smr00

Banned
Morning, GAF! What did I miss?

At least Scam Z didn't win

I voted for Monaco but the cheap ass Steam Community won't
Natural Selection will.

It's not that Natural Selection is a bad game, it's just going to win. Why? Because the Steam community. It's the same reason BL2 won, L4D2 won, TL2 won etc. They are predictable. Also, wasn't fez just $5 during the dailies the other day? Really wish Monaco would win.

derExperte

I shouldn't have started crafting badges here and there, now I feel compelled to it with every game I like. And level up if the badge of a higher level looks better. Only thing stopping me right now is that I like the overall look of the four last badges showing up in my pro....oh god what have I become?

Has Dust : an Elysian tale been discounted already ?

50% a week before the sale.

jamsy

No, you would need to give away the key instead. Once you activate a game it is tied to your account. No option to put it in your inventory unless it's been changed recently.

Unfortunately, no. If you'd like to gift it, you'd have to give the key to someone. The only games that are tradeable/giftable are those that go in your inventory (IE: bought from the store or traded for).

Gotcha. Yeah, pretty unfortunate since I have a few games I've never downloaded that I could've given away.

Is there a way store a key in my account without activating it?

Raggie

The bloke who spearheads Amazon's DD deals, Cheers Tony, got in contact with a bloke close to the situation with RI and 38 Studios (the company was liquidated as it owed around $100m to the state), who, after a bit of a back-and-forth, agreed to provide Amazon with a whole bunch of Steam keys to sell. Weeks went by and Tony hadn't heard anything nor could he get in touch with the person he was talking to; fast-forward to March, the Steam version saw a base price drop and went on sale for 24 hours.

As of early June, the game's continued presence on Steam after 38 Studios shut up shop had made Rhode Island approximately $713k richer.

Ah, I see. So I guess the game is on somebody's hands who doesn't know nor care anything about selling games. Could this Tony person please poke him with a stick or something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I see. So I guess the game is on somebody's hands who doesn't know nor care anything about selling games. Could this Tony person please poke him with a stick or something?

Tony did joke that he was going to send the guy a gift basket to guilt him into getting in touch. :p

Fewr

It's currently £14.99 but hasn't been on a daily yet.

I expect it will be at some point.

Thanks. I'll wait for it to be a daily. Given that it's in one of those summer promotional pictures I thought it either has passed or is yet to be featured.

Echoplx

Guys, why can't I access any of these games from the Sonic Bundle I bought fro the steam pricing mistake:

Dr Robotnik's Bean Mean Machine
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball

They seem to be all older games

Look for the "SEGA Genesis and Mega Drive Classics' entry in your Steam library.

adaen

Tempted by Eador at the moment. Any impressions on that one?
Recently enjoyed Fallen Enchantress in the same genre.

Also, I'm hoping for a bigger discount on the Age of Wonders Trilogy, but going by the price history and the fact that they are old low profile games, I have my doubts.

wilflare

okay I'm confused. I'm given Trine 2 in July 2012 (last year)
Steam says I already own Trine 2: Complete Story

do I still need to buy the upgrade? I can still check out the upgrade :/

JaseC

That's not true, there are exceptions where you can just enter an old CD-Key that was never meant for Steam but it got added. Unreal Tournament 3 is one example of that.

The most recent example that comes to mind is Company of Heroes. I wish more publishers made keys retroactively Steam-friendly, especially in cases where legal/contractual issues result in a game being pulled from the store.

I hope Monaco gets it this time

Natural Selection will.

It's not that Natural Selection is a bad game, it's just going to win. Why? Because the Steam community. It's the same reason BL2 won, L4D2 won, TL2 won etc. They are predictable. Also, wasn't fez just $5 during the dailies the other day? Really wish Monaco would win.
Exactly. We actually care about the quality of game while everyone else only gives a shit about the discount percentage. Guess we know who has a passin for the medium and who doesnt

Bumhead

Banned
I'm almost positive it was 9.99 either a daily or flash deal, right?

Actually now you mention it I think it might have been a flash deal..

Wouldn't rule out seeing it again at some point though, Football Manager games have been pretty consistent in appearing as dailies from what I can remember of previous sales.

Prophane33

It really sucks that the big indie games are grouped with small indie games in the community votes.

Say what you will about Valve, but they still treat all indies equally. There's a huge difference between something that's been in a Humble Bundle and something that hasn't had such huge exposure. So I don't know if that's exactly the best way to go about it.

JaseC

If you purchased just the base game, the upgrade contains the two DLC packs that you're missing from Complete Story.

Edit: Beaten.

cicero

Those who already owned the Goblin Menace DLC got the new Trine 2: Complete Story edition with extra content for free. It replaced the original entries. woo!

EDIT: Goblin Menace, not Goblin Horde. Beaten anyway though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Torchlight 2 is on top of the popular list. Did i lose it on a flash deal in my drunken sunday? How much was it discounted for? 75%?

Miletius

Tempted by Eador at the moment. Any impressions on that one?
Recently enjoyed Fallen Enchantress in the same genre.

Also, I'm hoping for a bigger discount on the Age of Wonders Trilogy, but going by the price history and the fact that they are old low profile games, I have my doubts.

Somebody responded to the same question posed by me (thanks, btw!, just got up to see the message) and he said that it's a game that he can only really recommend to enthusiasts of the genre, and only then with hesitation. You have to really enjoy hating the game at some point, because it is very difficult.

I passed based on that, but would probably pick it up somewhere down the line if it got cheaper. I'm a huge HoM&M fan, but even then I get bored/frustrated with the game after so long.

I shouldn't have started crafting badges here and there, now I feel compelled to it with every game I like. And level up if the badge of a higher level looks better. Only thing stopping me right now is that I like the overall look of the four last badges showing up in my pro....oh god what have I become?.
That's really how they get you. First start off with a couple badges, then once you have that momentum going you feel compelled to complete them for every game you like. Next thing you know you're $20 down the hole for small graphics on your profile.

Crayons

Banned
Say what you will about Valve, but they still treat all indies equally. There's a huge difference between something that's been in a Humble Bundle and something that hasn't had such huge exposure. So I don't know if that's exactly the best way to go about it.

When you put Gunpoint or Monaco against Natural Selection 2 or Torchlight 2, you already know who is going to win.

Raxus

Question:

I own Trine 2 already. Is the DLC already in my game or do I have to download it separately or buy the complete story?

JaseC

Question:

I own Trine 2 already. Is the DLC already in my game or do I have to download it separately or buy the complete story?

If you bought Goblin's Menace prior to the release of Complete Story, then you have everything; if not, you need the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom