• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabrock

Banned
So I just played Reus, the first three tutorials.

This is a very cool little game. My steam budget is very limited, but I am glad I spend 5 dollars on this game. I love the art design of the giants, they could totally be my bros if they lived in our world.

Was also fun to watch a village get greedy and just wreck their shit by building a mountain on them. Greedy bastards. Do not tempt the wrath of giants!
Just did that part myself. Used the Rock Giant's earthquake

antitrop

I don't know if anyone remembers the Steam launch of Half-Life 2 in 2004, but I do.

Half-Life 3 launch won't be pretty, dear Jesus.

Classic right there.

Absolutely. I can't think of a better animator than Don Bluth.

Maybe the Fleischer brothers, but they were primitive in terms of character design.

What's the word on Dust? Art looks good technically but I really can't get into the style. I could overlook it if the gameplay is amazing. Is it a metroidvania type of game?

The combat is incredibly fluid, I'll give it that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I know people are saying buy buy buy, but how varied is the gameplay in Reus? I watched the Quicklook a while back and looked like a bit of a one-trick-pony. Are there tons of upgrades and units and stuff? Multiple maps?

There is only one planet, but you can build the planet in multiple ways. There are a LOT of possible combinations for the stuff you can summon and it will take you a while to try everything. However, there are some valid complaints about the progress of the game, which is rather similar each time (which is why I want the devs to add more stuff to the game, for which they need more sales), but finetuning those activities is where the game shines and actually shows a sort of puzzle-like nature in optimising the strategy you might be going for atm. Finetuning stuff never translates well as an interesting gameplay mechanic in a video quicklook, so it more or less depends on how much you like that sort of mechanic in your games.

NAPK1NS

I told myself to restrain myself into buying more games. But couldn´t pass Torchlight 2 and The Last Remnant. Buying those was a good decision, right?
The Last Remnant has a pretty blah PC version. While it does away with the crippling framerates of the 360 version, the god-awful writing, localization and boring level design remain. The battle system is one redeeming factor, but even it has a lot of questionable choices. Make sure you visit the options to chance the camera rotation to the mouse, and discard the Xbox button labels.

Facism

thanks for the replies, looks like sins rebellion has all the previous content. I used to have the game when it came out and it scratches that space RTS itch that endless space has been giving me.

Caerith

To date I've had one user exploit this, and he only did so because he was upset I told him I wasn't going to add a feature to disable custom backgrounds. He's being a little bitch about it, and I don't have the time/energy/effort to build a more robust system at the moment so the best option for the safety and security of all users is to disable this feature completely going forward.

He (zr40) even looks like a bitch.

I've sent some of my Dutch boys over to sort this character out.
If they need alibis, I'll vouch that they were spending the time in question helping me try to pronounce Reus.

I honestly think it's mostly the sidekick, both in what makes you feel that way and what makes the community in general associate the game easily to the whole furry thing. Attitude + voice acting + cutsey design, as you say.

The whole Disney thing was apparent for me mainly cause it's not like you see guys that are RIPPED or the usual stuff you see in furry art, but it's not like they look the same, no. I talked to Noogy about it and he basically said that yeah it was kind of a bummer that the game got some hate on because of that and pretty confirmed that most of his inspirations came from early Disney stuff.
I agree with Stump that Dust is definitely more furry than Robin Hood, but, on a scale of 0 to 10, where Robin Hood is 0 and 10 is some of that mithra futanari fanart I've seen people post back when I played FFXI, Dust is an 0.1.

And I gotta wonder, what really is the big deal? Is it, a) I don't want to play Dust because I'm worried that halfway through there's going to be an unskippable yiffing mini-game, or b) every time I look at this art it makes me thing of cat-people with giant breasts and 40-inch phalluses, or c) something else?

Avallon

There is only one planet, but you can build the planet in multiple ways. There are a LOT of possible combinations for the stuff you can summon and it will take you a while to try everything. However, there are some valid complaints about the progress of the game, which is rather similar each time (which is why I want the devs to add more stuff to the game, for which they need more sales), but finetuning those activities is where the game shines and actually shows a sort of puzzle-like nature in optimising the strategy you might be going for atm. Finetuning stuff never translates well as an interesting gameplay mechanic in a video quicklook, so it more or less depends on how much you like that sort of mechanic in your games.

Is the game still being actively and regularly updated?

Salsa

And I gotta wonder, what really is the big deal? Is it, a) I don't want to play Dust because I'm worried that halfway through there's going to be an unskippable yiffing mini-game, or b) every time I look at this art it makes me thing of cat-people with giant breasts and 40-inch phalluses, or c) something else?

I dont know, but I can somewhat relate. Playing Solatorobo after the whole furry boom did feel weird at parts. Mostly when characters get all cutsey and shit you just cringe cause it makes you feel of furry/loli stuff and I feel like the police are gonna bust my door or something. I can't explain it but I get how it can make you uncomfortable.

Solatorobo.jpg

not really with dust tho

Dunlop

Store down?

I only ask because I am gettig the error message, but my Steam client has said it was offline for the past few days even though everything updated properly

edit: nvm working now and my client magically went online also

mrgone

Dear video game developers,

Please stop carpet bombing my documents directory with your settings. There are other, better places for that. Stop it. Stop it. You fucking guys.

Love, mrgone

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought Dishonored and the Dunwall DLC AND Dust: An Elysian Tail.

:)))

Anyone know if Lost Planet 2 or Ghost Recon Future Soldier were flash/daily deals during the Winter Sale or will I have to just wait till the last day for this sale?

Komedy

Neo Member
anyone else noticed that this year the prices are up on previous sales...for example..this is over a quid dearer than it was when in the sale 6 months ago

7bs.png

Salsa

anyone else noticed that this year the prices are up on previous sales...for example

7bs.png

its normal for a game to at a certain point stop dropping and it has happened since the start. I mean they're not gonna sell Mirror's Edge at a dollar.

edit: ah, I get what you mean.

Now I just want the LucasArts Adventure Pack and Vampire Bloodlines to be cheap, and I'll be a happy (and broke) man.

In fact, I'm quite curious about the 39 Steps "game" adaptation too, 75% off would be nice.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
anyone else noticed that this year the prices are up on previous sales...for example..this is over a quid dearer than it was when in the sale 6 months ago

7bs.png

I don't know the conversion rate, but I bought Mirror's Edge last year during a sale, for $4.99, and I believe it's only gotten down to $5.99 this sale.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the game still being actively and regularly updated?

Yep, they currently work 24/7 on getting it to other platforms and lower the requirements (DX10 required), plus they added some content in smaller patches a few weeks ago and already said they have a bigger content patch in the pipeline.

Edit: Top of the Page Post!

I am tooootally not talking about that game Reus, that more of you need to buy. Tooootally not.
Here is the OT btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558684

People liking it should visit that thread a bit.

jtb

Banned
KOTOR 1/2 went down to 2.50 each during the Winter too, and they've only gone down to 66% (3.50~) this time. Disappointing.

I don't know the conversion rate, but I bought Mirror's Edge last year during a sale, for $4.99, and I believe it's only gotten down to $5.99 this sale.

It was $5 during the Winter Sale, that's when I bought it.

SimCity 4 is a similar case. I got it $5 in the last Summer Sale, but this time, it only got down to $6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom