• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member
1AS71zD.png

Game #6: In honor of me finally getting The Witcher II, I've decided to do a giveaway to GAF!

Enjoy your game, Icy. Enjoy your game.

fantomena

What's everyone voting for? I have all three, but Incredipede is a very beautiful game, so I voted for it. And for 1,40€ where Im living it's a steal.

Asked this previously in the thread:

My steam wallet is still in Canadian dollars despite going on holiday to England, I can't buy anything in dollars and I bought a £20 Steam card that I can't add to my account without also turning it into dollars.

Anyway, would Steam ban me if I used a Canadian VPN to be able to purchase games?

It is technically against the TOS. That's all I'll say.

FTL IS SO HARD!

ffs I can't believe this shit, its so random even on easy I get killed at sector 2. What to do??

Try to explore as much as you can in Sector 1. The fights should be easier at the beginning of the game, so the more you explore, the more scrap you can potentially earn. Getting the Long Range Scanner early can help you to avoid solar flares and other environmental dangers. If you happen upon a Scrap Recovery Arm in a shop, buy it! It will increase the scrap you receive from battles and random events. By the end of Sector 1, it will be good to have leveled up your engines to where you have 20-25% dodge, and shield level 2 if you were lucky with scraps. Sector 2 is doable with shield level 1, but by Sector 3, enemies will be more powerful and have increased shielding.

Also, since you're playing on Easy, you should have enough scrap to upgrade your doors to Blast Doors (20 scrap). This allows you to trap enemy boarders in a room, since they have to take time to open the door. If you remove the oxygen from the room by opening the doors to vacuum, you can suffocate the enemy and kill/weaken them before they can get to your crew.

If you're using the Kestrel (default ship), it comes equipped with a Burst Laser Mk II (one of the best balanced weapons in the game, considering firepower, energy requirements, and recharge time) . Use this to target the enemy's weapons. The Burst Laser Mk II can pass through 1 shield and damage the weapon systems so the enemy ship will be unable to attack. Then target the cockpit or engines to ensure the enemy doesn't escape. I usually start a battle by attacking weapons and cockpit, then moving on to life support and other systems (enemy crew will prioritize repairing the life support systems over all others). Hope this helps.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's everyone voting for? I have all three, but Incredipede is a very beautiful game, so I voted for it. And for 1,40€ where Im living it's a steal.

I'm voting for Incredipede because I own Universe Sandbox and Antichamber (which is the best received of the three) was already a daily deal.

There's no good way to solve it from where you are right now. Your best bet would have been to contact them in advance to let them know. You can contact support now but it may take a few days to work it out. And unfortunately while they likely wouldn't ban you for using a Canadian VPN, why would you take the chance?

Ah, I'll contact them now then.

Would they have an issue if I used the £20 credit on another account and gifted them to myself? Or would that account get locked for gifting to another region?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ah, I'll contact them now then.

Would they have an issue if I used the £20 credit on another account and gifted them to myself? Or would that account get locked for gifting to another region?

People gift to another region all the time with no problems, but personally I wouldn't be creating a web of fake out-of-region accounts to redeem multi-region credits to gift stuff to myself :p

If universe wins, is it worth the 2 bucks?

It's not a game. It's a very detailed physics simulator of the universe where you can fiddle with all sorts of stuff. I liked accelerating trillions of years and watching stars die, personally. It depends what you're looking for. I think it's a neat toy.

Mupod

I was fascinated by the quick look of antichamber so I bought it, but after a while it just turned into dumb block puzzles. Maybe it gets interesting again later?

Karu

Voted for Antichamber, wouldn't buy it though. Watched the Incredipede-trailer, but... well...neh...

MadSexual

I've heard faint whispers of "hidden sales." I saw in my wishlist that RE5 is 75% off for the next 42 hours, yet it isn't being advertised. I thought it was only 50% when the sale started. Is this the time to buy?

Antichamber

Already have Incredipede, which is an awesome game btw. And Universe Sandbox just can't compete with Mindfuck: The Game

1AS71zD.png

Game #6: In honor of me finally getting The Witcher II, I've decided to do a giveaway to GAF!

Thank you...can't seem to acquire it, though.

getting this

An error was encountered while processing your request:

There was a problem redeeming the gift. Please try again later, or contact Steam Support for assistance.

People gift to another region all the time with no problems, but personally I wouldn't be creating a web of fake out-of-region accounts to redeem multi-region credits to gift stuff to myself :p

Well I was planning on tying it an account that I had used in the past in the UK to redeem things.

I lived here for the four years of my Steam account, I wouldn't have thought that Valve would have had an issue with my region

Sibylus

Banned
At risk of being slapped down by a gif, SOFTWARE. Are all these prices fixed until the end of the summer sale, or are there spotlights?

Digoman

For once I don't own any of the three. Incredipede looks the more interesting one to me, so... click.

I have to say.

GAF is one spectacular community filled with good hearted people.

I'm going to take a break from this thread, and perhaps chime back into this thread when I feel like everyone needs to buy a certain game.

For now, here is my must-have list of games that you may come across/are on sale:

FTL
Hotline Miami
Tomb Raider
Chivalry
Witcher 2

Later guys

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Thank you...can't seem to acquire it, though.

getting this

An error was encountered while processing your request:

There was a problem redeeming the gift. Please try again later, or contact Steam Support for assistance.

I was getting that yesterday for some reason with a gift someone gave me. Keep trying, everything on steam is fucking up. In the mean time I'll PM you the gift code directly.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Right, I'm asking about packages that are on sale for 33 or 50 percent right now. I'd feel awfully silly if I picked something up only to have it later go even lower before the sale ends.

Yes they can go further too. Best to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom