• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
So on a whim I bought Train Simulator. It simulates driving a train, which is kinda cool, for a bit. I don't think I'll put much more than the 40 minutes I've already put into it, but it did satisfy my curiosity in regards to driving a train.

xBlain

Forgive my complete ignorance, but are you supposed to just copy the key when PM'ing ModBot, or the entire line? For example, just this:

MB-0B1EEC3F7550F289

or this: Bioshock: Infinite -- MB-0B1EEC3F7550F289 ?

You're supposed to quote the message.

Edit: Ignore this, misread your message.

Grief.exe

MFW these new sales

jKMIg0ORCupdo.jpg

Finally bought an Amazon Gift Card, so now I can use Amazon Payments to get Humble Bundles

If I buy a digtal game on Amazon, do I get the Steam key? I've seen others mention that.

Also does Amazon sell Steam Wallet codes? I knows they sell MS Points and PSN codes, you get the codes online.

I have posted in there. :p

When modbot pms you, you are suppose to quote the message that is sent you to and post it in the thread.

No, I understand that part completely, thanks though. My initial question was in regards to attempting to win a giveaway. Just wanted to make sure the entire line wasn't required, as I've been pasting just the codes and was hoping my awful luck was just someone sitting on the page refreshing endlessly, not my own incompetence.

Ghazi

This is the third year in a row that I've been unable to buy anything from the summer sale, I really don't buy anything from Steam anyway. Just sucks to see all these really good deals go buy and not being able to grab some.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No, I understand that part completely, thanks though. My initial question was in regards to attempting to win a giveaway. Just wanted to make sure the entire line wasn't required, as I've been pasting just the codes and was hoping my awful luck was just someone sitting on the page refreshing endlessly, not my own incompetence.

Ahh sorry, misunderstood. Yeah, paste whatever code is posted (i.e. MB-0B1EEC3F7550F289), and pm that to the modbot. There are some lightening fast jackals so don't think its bad luck.

DaBoss

Finally bought an Amazon Gift Card, so now I can use Amazon Payments to get Humble Bundles

If I buy a digtal game on Amazon, do I get the Steam key? I've seen others mention that.

Also does Amazon sell Steam Wallet codes? I knows they sell MS Points and PSN codes, you get the codes online.
It will tell you whether it uses Steam or not. If it does, then you will receive a Steam key.

Don't know if they sell wallet codes. :/

Prophane33

This is the third year in a row that I've been unable to buy anything from the summer sale, I really don't buy anything from Steam anyway. Just sucks to see all these really good deals go buy and not being able to grab some.

Money or Not having a good computer?

If it's money just idle in games to get trading cards then sell them. That's what I did. I've only spent 8 dollars of my own money on this sale and I've got around 6 games.

If it's not having a computer...nothing you can do about that except buy/build one.

Amazon Payment doesn't give you the keys through Amazon for Humble Bundles, the HB website gives them to you still.

You're given a Key that can be redeemed either through Amazon or Steam (I believe); all I know is that I always copy/paste the key into Steam to avoid having half of my stuff on Amazon and the other half on Steam.

I think only Gamestop gives Steam Wallet cards.

If the game description says you need a Steam account to activate the game, it comes with a code.

And no, Amazon doesn't sell Steam cards or codes. I wish they did.

Amazon does not unfortunately, and given you're discussing gift card use I doubt it's much help but it's worth noting that Best Buy, Target, and Gamestop all sell wallet cards. Walmart may as well, but I make it a point to avoid Walmart.

Ghazi

Money or Not having a good computer?

If it's money just idle in games to get trading cards then sell them. That's what I did. I've only spent 8 dollars of my own money on this sale and I've got around 6 games.

If it's not having a computer...nothing you can do about that except buy/build one.

Both, I neither have a credit card nor a good computer. Can barely scrape off 10-15 FPS in TF2, I plan on building a good computer soon. Mostly the credit card issue though, I can always buy games and then build the computer later when I can afford it.

I have some games from the generosity of my personal friends irl who have "donated" as they call it to helping me get some games for when I get the computer but I can't even play most of them.

Amazon Payment doesn't give you the keys through Amazon for Humble Bundles, the HB website gives them to you still.

You're given a Key that can be redeemed either through Amazon or Steam (I believe); all I know is that I always copy/paste the key into Steam to avoid having half of my stuff on Amazon and the other half on Steam.

I think only Gamestop gives Steam Wallet cards.
Last time I checked out the HB site, there was Pay With Amazon option

Thanks for the info about buying games from Amazon

Best Buy, CVS, 7/11, etc also sell Wallet codes/cards. Either as actual cards or a code printed on a receipt. Just was curious if Amazon sold codes online like they do with XBLA and PSN codes

for people looking for something to play:

anodyne_release.1.wmv.jpg

Anodyne is on sale for $4.99 on Steam or $4.49 on the Humble Store.

It also has cards! :)

I love the game so far, really scratches that old school zelda itch

Prophane33

Both, I neither have a credit card nor a good computer. Can barely scrape off 10-15 FPS in TF2, I plan on building a good computer soon. Mostly the credit card issue though, I can always buy games and then build the computer later when I can afford it.

I have some games from the generosity of my personal friends irl who have "donated" as they call it to helping me get some games for when I get the computer but I can't even play most of them.

If it makes you feel better I had the same computer from 2003-2011. After about 2006 or so I wasn't able to play most new PC games so I understand. I also didn't have a credit card then either...actually I still don't really have one (just my debit card + amazon store card that's not usable on digital items, sadly). Remember kids: Don't fuck up your credit in college.

Been buying and selling in the market. When all my cards sell, I'll have turned $7.89 into $8.26. A 37 cent profit!

Yup, I have a similar success story. I started with 0 cents at the beginning. After buying. selling, and flipping cards I've made $4.40 without using any of my actual cash.

Ghazi

If it makes you feel better I had the same computer from 2003-2011. After about 2006 or so I wasn't able to play most new PC games so I understand. I also didn't have a credit card then either...actually I still don't really have one (just my debit card + amazon store card that's not usable on digital items, sadly). Remember kids: Don't fuck up your credit in college.
On the bright side I can play Hotline Miami at least so I'm having fun!

So, Hitman Absolution. Yay? Nay?
It was a good stealth action game but a bad Hitman game. It wasn't the game I was anticipating after Blood Money introduced me to the stealth genre. If you enjoy stealth in general, you may enjoy it, but if you expecting a next gen Blood Money, you might be disappointed

Any tips for this?

Sell 1 cent below the lowest if you can and are willing to settle, then watch a healthy card market (anything that makes 50 cents or higher) for people who get desperate or don't care for funds and scoop up the card if you can.

Example: I once saw Hunter (DmC) go up for $0.12, and I snagged it asap. Later sold it for $0.85. ~$0.70 in profits. After a few scouts and good luck (as well as patience), you can turn a decent amount of profit.

UncleBiz

It was a good stealth action game but a bad Hitman game. It wasn't the game I was anticipating after Blood Money introduced me to the stealth genre. If you enjoy stealth in general, you may enjoy it, but if you expecting a next gen Blood Money, you might be disappointed
If you liked Splinter Cell Conviction, you'll like Absolution. They're pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom