• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So is tomorrow the last day of unique daily deals, with the 21st being sale highlights and the sale ending the 22nd?

I've had Max Payne 2 for awhile now, but don't have (and have never played) the first one - would one miss much (story, context etc) by jumping straight to MP2, or should I hunt down a copy of the first game... first?
I'd recommend getting the first one eventually and playing that as well, but Max Payne 2 features a "Previously on Max Payne" option in the main menu that gives you a summary of the first game's events. Feel free to hop right into MP2 right now, it's not terribly long, but it's great the entire time.

I've had Max Payne 2 for awhile now, but don't have (and have never played) the first one - would one miss much (story, context etc) by jumping straight to MP2, or should I hunt down a copy of the first game... first?

If it's a flash sale again, buy the first one, but I wouldn't call it absolutely mandatory--more like a recommendation if you want to get the most out of the story. Max Payne 2 can stand on its own, though some characters will be unfamiliar to you (as they were to me, since I played MP2 about a decade after MP1 and forgot nearly everything about the first game).

molnizzle

Wait a minute, XCOM is Steamplay enabled? When did that happen!?

I thought I was going to make it through this Steam sale with my money intact now that my sole computer is a 13" MacBook Pro. Yet here I am $25 in the hole and it's not even over yet. Heh.
I ain't even mad.

- Civ V Gold
- FTL
- XCOM

DGaWoov.png

BHK3

Banned
We could find two more?

Problem is I can't send money through paypal as I hit my limit and now they want my tax info and shit and that's not gonna fly. I have about 6.59 on steam so I can gift a game or buy something from the marketplace in exchange.

Thank god Luffy made a limerick. I've been struggling for like 15 minutes to make a limerick making fun of DaBoss for not knowing what a limerick was, and I was coming up empty. Crisis averted!

Skerj

Guys, The Secret World is pretty great

It is, I just started a new character for the first time since beta. Now I can actually relax and enjoy the [bloody awesome] storyline instead of rushing to endgame so I could break and exploit everything. I'm amazed at some of the stuff they've added even though London still seems to be the only useful hub city. I miss my sweet sweet gear, gotta get that QL10 Tyrfing back.

Finally bought an Amazon Gift Card, so now I can use Amazon Payments to get Humble Bundles

If I buy a digtal game on Amazon, do I get the Steam key? I've seen others mention that.

Also does Amazon sell Steam Wallet codes? I knows they sell MS Points and PSN codes, you get the codes online.

Unfortunately not (unless things have changed recently). I did use Maximus Cards a few days ago to get a Steam Wallet Code ($20) and that could be paid for using Amazon (but I've never used an Amazon Gift Code so I don't know if that payment would come from the Amazon wallet although I assume so). I'm not sure if the link to the website is allowed here (but I'd see no reason why not) since I've so rarely seen it mentioned.

Still don't understand why people drop the prices on cards so much. If a card is selling at 25 cents and you put it up for 15 cents you're going to sell it just about as fast as if you had listed it at 24 cents.

LuffyZoro

A+, would read again

As a future literature professor, I hereby proclaim you this generation's Yeats.

Ohhhhhh, it's the AABBA thing. Anyways, great job.

I keep reading this like it's something out of Dr. Susses and I love it.

Thank god Luffy made a limerick. I've been struggling for like 15 minutes to make a limerick making fun of DaBoss for not knowing what a limerick was, and I was coming up empty. Crisis averted!

Haha, thanks. It was fun writing it up. I took on a contest here to make a 16 line rap once a couple of sales ago, now that was something.

oipic

i think you should play the first one, there are returning characters in 2 and you get to know what happened in Max's life before 2, also the first one looks very smooth and clean with everything maxed.

Make sure to install the wide screen mod for both.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=540612

I'd recommend getting the first one eventually and playing that as well, but Max Payne 2 features a "Previously on Max Payne" option in the main menu that gives you a summary of the first game's events. Feel free to hop right into MP2 right now, it's not terribly long, but it's great the entire time.

If it's a flash sale again, buy the first one, but I wouldn't call it absolutely mandatory--more like a recommendation if you want to get the most out of the story. Max Payne 2 can stand on its own, though some characters will be unfamiliar to you (as they were to me, since I played MP2 about a decade after MP1 and forgot nearly everything about the first game).

Thank you very much for the feedback, guys - much appreciated!

If we're inevitably staring at a few days of repeats, I'll hold out for an MP3 flash deal or something, and pick up the first one then. Cheers!

I've made out pretty good so far this sale, getting a bunch of games I've held off getting for a long time:

Sleeping Dogs
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai
Euro Truck Sim 2
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Defcon
Arkham City GOTY
The Walking Dead: 400 Days
Dear Esther
Dishonored
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Platinum

All for $62.60

Any one else feeling a little sad over digital distribution despite the crazy deals Steam has had?

Having been on steam since 2005, I can say that I'm starting to miss buying retail PC games. I mean, my computers don't even have a dedicated DVD drive, but I'm still staring at my 45 or so games on steam and just wishing I could hold 'em in my hands...

Unfortunately not (unless things have changed recently). I did use Maximus Cards a few days ago to get a Steam Wallet Code ($20) and that could be paid for using Amazon (but I've never used an Amazon Gift Code so I don't know if that payment would come from the Amazon wallet although I assume so). I'm not sure if the link to the website is allowed here (but I'd see no reason why not) since I've so rarely seen it mentioned.
Found the site. Thanks for telling me about it,

Wired

Meh, wish I could afford XCOM but at first I kind of forgot to buy it and then when it became clear I was out of money I convinced myself that it wasn't the end of the world if I couldn't pick it up this time. Still the grass is always greener, but maybe next year or whatever. Damn these sales are nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom