• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got me some old games and I think I'm done buying stuff this summer sale.

Anachronox
Arx Fatalis
Quake 4
System Shock Enhanced
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - Revert Pack
Unreal Tournament 3
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Hopeford

Man, this sale is just not hitting me. Normally I'm like "Woooow look at all those games" but not this time. Only thing I bought was Hitman: Blood Money for $2 CAD, which was probably the best purchase like ever.

Think that's probably a good thing, gives me time to work through things like Hitman and Witcher. And Trails in the Sk--fuck I have a lot of games I really wanna play and haven't done it yet.

Kinda tempted about Banner Saga 2, but I don't know. While the first game was fun, I can't say that the battle system or the plot really left me wanting more. Like the game was really pretty, but I didn't desperately want to keep playing it.

...Hm. But then again, it was very pretty. Hmmmm.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've played it 90% in singleplayer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

idk it's been described to me as "a singleplayer mmo" which pretty much sounds as the worst thing imaginable

they were talking about monster hunter tho, and while i've never played monster hunter i really like mercenary kings and people have told me it's like that?

so idk

people suck

If you think you can deal with a creepy spidernest, then go for it. It's not that big an area. I think you'll like HK.
if it's that short little area i saw in that video with the spiders crawling through the screen i think i can make it if i just turn off the sound

if there's more i probably should look into it

Man, I'm really not sure I can play through an entire trilogy with Ezio. He's not a bad character at all, I quite like him, but I hope he'll have character development throughout. The free running and combat also feels stiff in Assassin's Creed II, and so far the combat feels worse than in Assassin's Creed 1.
he's a fun character but yeah, it's hard to carry that many games on his own

i'd skip ass bro and ass rev since those two are pretty derivative and don't really add that much, and if you're planning on playing many games in the series then probably not a good idea to burn out on samey games

if u care about the desmond story tho, some real shit goes down in ass rev that will really confuse you in ass 3 but imo still not worth it

ass 3 really goes fuck it with the desmond stuff and makes it real shit. i actually really liked the desmond stuff in 1 and 2 so it was really disappointing

Man, this sale is just not hitting me. Normally I'm like "Woooow look at all those games" but not this time. Only thing I bought was Hitman: Blood Money for $2 CAD, which was probably the best purchase like ever.

Think that's probably a good thing, gives me time to work through things like Hitman and Witcher. And Trails in the Sk--fuck I have a lot of games I really wanna play and haven't done it yet.

Kinda tempted about Banner Saga 2, but I don't know. While the first game was fun, I can't say that the battle system or the plot really left me wanting more. Like the game was really pretty, but I didn't desperately want to keep playing it.

...Hm. But then again, it was very pretty. Hmmmm.
yeah i think people got it into their head that not buying stuff is bad

not buying stuff is fine, you're not supposed to have an amazing time and spend a lot of money, it's just a sale, you'll find a few games on discount and enjoy them, or maybe not and you'll buy them sometime later

it's not a big deal

Hopeford

yeah i think people got it into their head that not buying stuff is bad

not buying stuff is fine, you're not supposed to have an amazing time and spend a lot of money, it's just a sale, you'll find a few games on discount and enjoy them, or maybe not and you'll buy them sometime later

it's not a big deal

Definitely true. The hoarder part of my brain is reacting like "But-but I gotta buy something! What if a rainy day comes and I want to play something and I didn't grab it when it was cheap?"

But honestly, I got a huuuuge rainy day list already. I'm good. Realistically, it's gonna take me at least a year to play through my current backlog anyway.

Teeth

he's a fun character but yeah, it's hard to carry that many games on his own

i'd skip ass bro and ass rev since those two are pretty derivative and don't really add that much, and if you're planning on playing many games in the series then probably not a good idea to burn out on samey games

if u care about the desmond story tho, some real shit goes down in ass rev that will really confuse you in ass 3 but imo still not worth it

ass 3 really goes fuck it with the desmond stuff and makes it real shit. i actually really liked the desmond stuff in 1 and 2 so it was really disappointing

I would disagree with skipping ACB, but I would seriously recommend putting some months and/or other games between AC2 and ACB. ACB has some nice world design and controlling your own pack of ninjas takes the trivial nature of AC combat encounters and extends them to their ludicrous end. *snap* ~EAGLE CRY~

I found ACR to be the absolute weakest of the trilogy, gameplay-wise.The lack of code-breaking really hurt it in my eyes and the first person platforming was bleh.

Pachimari

Well, it's good to here there is development with Ezio, and that stuff happens with Desmond. I won't skip any games though, so I'll be playing Brotherhood and Revelations after 2. I just hope I get to see some awesome new vistas and environments, and that they don't take place in the same parts of Italy. Although I can see them reusing assets. I played Brotherhood back when it released, and I think I remember that Rome was part of that one.

Ascheroth

idk it's been described to me as "a singleplayer mmo" which pretty much sounds as the worst thing imaginable

they were talking about monster hunter tho, and while i've never played monster hunter i really like mercenary kings and people have told me it's like that?

so idk

people suck
Nah, I don't think that's accurate. I'm not familiar with mercenary kings.
As I said, God Eater has a heavy story focus unlike Monster Hunter, so there's that.
The combat is also not at all like MMOs : P and the grind isn't that bad.
It also has a lot of NPC-allies who you can take with you on missions from the beginning(up to 3). You can also learn and equip them various skills. God Eater 2 even has companion missions that unlock new and/or better skills for the NPCs.

Arthea

Got me some old games and I think I'm done buying stuff this summer sale.

Anachronox
Arx Fatalis
Quake 4
System Shock Enhanced
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - Revert Pack
Unreal Tournament 3
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

I hope you are fully prepared for how bad it looks
you should buy Arcanum too, now that looks OK and is an amazing game

edited: also there is this great Sierra bundle, not dicounted greatly though
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2249/Classic_Sierra_Bundle/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395895.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Mystery GAF -- MB-EE51AEE0748E2E51 - Taken by d0g_bear

Teeth

Well, it's good to here there is development with Ezio, and that stuff happens with Desmond. I won't skip any games though, so I'll be playing Brotherhood and Revelations after 2. I just hope I get to see some awesome new vistas and environments, and that they don't take place in the same parts of Italy. Although I can see them reusing assets. I played Brotherhood back when it released, and I think I remember that Rome was part of that one.

A lot of ACB looks very similar to AC2, but Rev is an entirely new city and set dressing. I mean, it still looks like an AC game, but it's a new location.

I would disagree with skipping ACB, but I would seriously recommend putting some months and/or other games between AC2 and ACB. ACB has some nice world design and controlling your own pack of ninjas takes the trivial nature of AC combat encounters and extends them to their ludicrous end. *snap* ~EAGLE CRY~

I found ACR to be the absolute weakest of the trilogy, gameplay-wise.The lack of code-breaking really hurt it in my eyes and the first person platforming was bleh.

Brotherhood is really fucking good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Best Red Herring:
8ee36e4cc197caf1b7b3e26f52101c40a71fae11.jpg

There's an Orange Box with the first icon being a two, and then there's three glowing orange buttons on the side with Lemons on them.

Jintor

I'm looking for interesting character action games, preferably cheap ones

I've played:
Bayonetta
Nier Automata
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Transformers: Devestation
Furi
DmC
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

I've got and have yet to play:
The Legend of Korra
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4

Any recs? More in the line of Furi, top down, would be good if possible

Eridani

I'm looking for interesting character action games, preferably cheap ones

I've played:
Bayonetta
Nier Automata
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Transformers: Devestation
Furi
DmC
Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

I've got and have yet to play:
The Legend of Korra
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4

Any recs? More in the line of Furi, top down, would be good if possible

A top down character action game? Does Ys count? Because that's hands down the best top down action game series ever made, but I'm not sure if I'd describe it as character action. Then again I'm wouldn't describe Furi as that either.

Apart from that, Killer is Dead is good. Not amazing or anything, and the combat's much more shallow than Bayonetta/DMC, but it's pretty cheap right now and I had fun with it.

It baffles me that there is still no search by release date in Steam. It impossible to find old games unless you know what exactly are you looking for, discovery queue never showed me games released before 2015. For example, i would like to know if there any game available on Steam that was originally released in 1983 and 1986, I'm missing those two years in my collection 1980-2017 steam library collection.

Arthea

It baffles me that there is still no search by release date in Steam. It impossible to find old games unless you know what exactly are you looking for, discovery queue never showed me games released before 2015. For example, i would like to know if there any game available on Steam that was originally released in 1983 and 1986, I'm missing those two years in my collection 1980-2017 steam library collection.

well, there is an option to see that, like this:
here you see oldest games on steam, going backwards takes you to newer games
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win&page=1141

not perfect but not impossible either

well, there is an option to see that, like this:
here you see oldest games on steam, going backwards takes you to newer games
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win&page=1141

not perfect but not impossible either
It's very far from perfect and showing when game was released on Steam, not original date that usually listed on game page, so nothing <2007. Of course it's not possible to look through but it requires a lot of dedication to find old titles on Steam now, and Valve should really fix this.

Jintor

A top down character action game? Does Ys count? Because that's hands down the best top down action game series ever made, but I'm not sure if I'd describe it as character action. Then again I'm wouldn't describe Furi as that either.

Apart from that, Killer is Dead is good. Not amazing or anything, and the combat's much more shallow than Bayonetta/DMC, but it's pretty cheap right now and I had fun with it.

I think i already own Ys, i'll give it another shot.

I'll definitely pick up another Suda joint even if I think he tends to scimp on the gameplay.

Keep the recs coming!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's very far from perfect and showing when game was released on Steam, not original date that usually listed on game page, so nothing <2007. Of course it's not possible to look through but it requires a lot of dedication to find old titles on Steam now, and Valve should really fix this.

Valve could certainly police release dates as part of the review process, but I don't think it's a problem in need of a solution. If people are curious about whether a good old game is on Steam, they can search for it; the classics tend to come from the same few publishers; and re-releases generally do have their original release date attached.

Thud

I'll definitely pick up another Suda joint even if I think he tends to scimp on the gameplay.

Keep the recs coming!

Vanquish is half character action and half third person shooter.

:p

Tizoc

Keep the recs coming!
If u get killer is dead, rad the steam community guides to get t to run at 60 fps or more

Arthea

Valve could certainly police release dates as part of the review process, but I don't think it's a problem in need of a solution. If people are curious about whether a good old game is on Steam, they can search for it; the classics tend to come from the same few publishers; and re-releases generally do have their original release date attached.

I don't think that's a good enough excuse, though
searching by year still makes sense when steam is recommending mostly new games.

then again we are past the point where this store can be orderly, the same is true with any big online store, it's just too much work.

fantomena

Last thing I bought was Stories Untold and Unexplored. Now everything on my wishlist is 33% off or less and/or have a high price so I won't buy anything else now. Plus AssCreed Unity and Syndicate and Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 are still too high.

Now I will focus on the upcoming games, like Cuphead, Tacoma, Evil Within 2, Wolfy, new Dishonored game and lots of more cool titles coming later this year.

Do you remember if theres a "last day" special deals done before in sumemr steam sales? I´m hoping Dark SOuls 1 gets discounted as a last sale push.
not :(

I have a feeling that DS will be discounted right after the summer sale ends.

Or maybe a remaster version announcement coming up?

JaseC

I don't think that's a good enough excuse, though
searching by year still makes sense when steam is recommending mostly new games.

then again we are past the point where this store can be orderly, the same is true with any big online store, it's just too much work.

Oh, I'm not saying the idea doesn't have merit. It's just something I'd put at the low end of the priority scale.

Shari

Brotherhood is really fucking good.

Im interested in this. Is really fucking good as in?

Loved the progression on syndicate and looking for more on that, I've read that brotherhood lets you manage you guild of assassins and such. Is that sort of management deep and engaging enough? Would buy the game only for that premise.

JaseC

Im interested in this. Is really fucking good as in?

Loved the progression on syndicate and looking for more on that, I've read that brotherhood lets you manage you guild of assassins and such. Is that sort of management deep and engaging enough? Would buy the game only for that premise.

You recruit assassins by helping them out of a tight spot, which is interesting, and you can customise their gear, but the actual training component is light; you just send them off on missions. If you've ever mucked around with AssCreed Unity's companion app, it's much the same thing.

Shari

You recruit assassins by helping them out of a tight spot, which is interesting, and you can customise their gear, but the actual training component is light; you just send them off on missions. If you ever mucked around with AssCreed Unity's companion app, it's much the same thing.

Interesting, thank you.

What about the building/taking back part of the city? I am big bitch of progression and if those mechanics are also cool I would probably pick it up since it's in the bargain bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom