• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Steam-GAF. Posted this in the Hidden Gems thread as well, but figured I could get some advice in this thread as well! I'm probably only going to get one (possibly two) of these card games from this sale. Any rec's on which?

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

I'll probably end up getting one of the two Solitaire games and one of the other four. As bad as this sounds, I'm slightly hesitant on getting Card City nights since I swear in past sales it's been as little as $0.99 and now it's like $3. something.

I put 25 good hours into Faerie Solitaire. It was done well, but I managed to beat the game before getting some of the time-based achievements. So if you're good at Solitaire-type games, you might consider it too easy.

Necrovex

QB is a great game if you have the hardware for it. I was very surprised by the quality. Gameplay mechanics and animations are top notch. A typical Remedy game.

Oh! Well I already refunded it, so I'll probably get it next sale, as I have way too many games I bought from this sale to devour. Appreciate the heads up there.

The comments involving framerates being a slight mess even with a top notch card is what deterred me.

oni-link

Does this thread count as the official Steam thread while the sale is ongoing, or is the thread strictly for discussion on the sale?

Nabs

Does this thread count as the official Steam thread while the sale is ongoing, or is the thread strictly for discussion on the sale?

This is the official Steam thread until the 5th. So go ahead and post anime gifs if you'd like.

oni-link

This is the official Steam thread until the 5th. So go ahead and post anime gifs if you'd like.

Hah, no gifs, I just saw this earlier today and thought it was funny

DD0jJDrU0AAyrE3.jpg:large

Come on Valve, the father has spoken, unban them at once

Soi-Fong

You might be able to save yourself some money by checking out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. It was recently part of the Humble Monthly.

Hey Nabs! Appreciate it! Was about to buy it on Steam directly but found someone selling the key for 5$ in the Buy, Sell, Trade thread.

Thanks again for the heads up!

illusionary

Has it been mentioned that there's a badge for collecting all the stickers now?

Ah, so there is - I've just completed my collection and see that I have the badge. I think that today may have been the first day by when completion was possible, so that will be why there's been no previous mention.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you scale and rotate the stickers? There's like billion of image libraries that Valve could have used for this but didn't

Click on a sticker and you'll see "rotate" and "stretch" icons, provided you've completed the page and unlocked it for editing.

Hah, no gifs, I just saw this earlier today and thought it was funny

DD0jJDrU0AAyrE3.jpg:large

Come on Valve, the father has spoken, unban them at once

hey its me ur father

Nzyme32

How do you scale and rotate the stickers? There's like billion of image libraries that Valve could have used for this but didn't

Click on a sticker in the area under the picture to add it to the picture / Click on a sticker that is is in the picture. It will have a dotted box around it - remove is the X at the top left. Rotate is the anti-clockwise arrow button at the bottom left. Bottom right dot arrow is the enlarge or shrink.

You only need to click once to toggle that option and then move the mouse around. Click again to end.

Be careful of too many layers or stretching too big, as you can then make it impossible to edit (in which case refresh the page and start over)

bbd23

think im about done with Hollow Knight. second attempt and just not enjoying it. at mantis lords right now. the platforming in this game is way too frustrating and there are so many times where inputs dont register its just driving me insane.

this was the only thing I bought during the sale..someone save me. I need something fun

Nabs

Hey Nabs! Appreciate it! Was about to buy it on Steam directly but found someone selling the key for 5$ in the Buy, Sell, Trade thread.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Hey, no problem. Have fun! I can't wait to finally get a headset so I can be consumed by all these racing games.

hey its me ur father

sincerely?

Hey Steam-GAF. Posted this in the Hidden Gems thread as well, but figured I could get some advice in this thread as well! I'm probably only going to get one (possibly two) of these card games from this sale. Any rec's on which?

Faerie Solitaire

Solitairica

Monster Slayers

Guild of Dungeoneering

Ironclad Tactics

Card City Nights

I'll probably end up getting one of the two Solitaire games and one of the other four. As bad as this sounds, I'm slightly hesitant on getting Card City nights since I swear in past sales it's been as little as $0.99 and now it's like $3. something.

I can vouch for both Faerie Solitaire and Card City Nights, both are good fun. Faerie Solitaire will last you quite a bit longer than Card City Nights, though. Also, I feel like you might be right on CCN being cheaper in the past.

Popstar

Any interesting software or utilities on sale?

I picked up DisplayFusion during a previous sale and don't regret it. Was wondering what else might be out there in the ocean of Steam.

Soi-Fong

Saw that Newegg deal. Guess Prey won't be going lower than $30 even during the winter sale or is that an incorrect assumption?

ag-my001

This may be a bit too specific of a question, but does anyone know if a Steam version of X-wing Alliance can be combined with the CD-ROM version of X-wing/TIE Fighter for their graphical upgrades?

Dug my old discs out of storage, but XWA won't work with DOSBOX or Win10 by itself, and I don't feel like downloading questionable installers from random websites.

Parsnip

hey its me ur brother

I keep seeing these recommendation in the thread and I can't really understand why since I have polar opposite feelings regarding those 2 games. I enjoyed mirror of fate, it's not going to set the world on fire but it's entertaining, unlike KiD that is a braindead button masher with style and zero substance.

I'm with you on Mirror of Fate. It's actually quite alright. Better than 3DS performance goes a long way on making that game actually pretty decent.

kionedrik

Dont play the game on easy mate; on higher diffoculties enemies can block your attacks and you need to time ur dodges to get a counter to defeat them quicker
I mean i wont say kid sets the world on fire, but it has a zany plot and the simplistic combay is fun if played in short settings.

Afair, I did a couple of missions on hard and had to change the difficulty to normal simply because of how difficulty is done in that game, enemies hp go up and your damage goes down, which is not fun at all. But the combat technique remained the same, dodge at the right time to trigger a slowdown and spam the attack button. The only way I managed to finish it was to play one mission per day, otherwise I'd be bored to tears.
As far as the plot goes, I personally hated it. It was nonsensical and predictable at the same time, which is a feat in itself. I guess japanese artsy games aren't for me.

Wok

Given that a game is tagged as featuring "Sexual Content", the probability that it is tagged as either "Anime" or "Visual Novel" is ~75%.

So, I have wanted to see how close the Steam tags were on a kind of map of Steam tags, where the closer two tags are, the more games share both tags. It turns out they are not that close.

Map of all the 336 Steam tags (you need a magnifier)
MU05x0B.png

Anime is close to "Exploration", "Comedy", "Funny", "Story Rich", "Female Protagonist", while "Visual Novel" is very close to "Nudity"and "Cute".
c9KXz4o.png

I thought card games would be close to "Free To Play" and "Early Access", but it is not.
cSDZyIo.png

"Early Access" is close to "Survival", "Sandbox", "Free To Play" and... "Zombies". For rogue-lite games, no surprise, we get permadeath, procedural generation, dungeon crawler, etc. while rogue-like games are more associated to replay value, and that's it.
In5BwDe.png

Teggy

I decided to dig into my remaining Assassin's Creed games (everything after 3). After a good amount of hours into Black Flag, it seems kind of...overrated? It's clearly a skin on top of AC3, and the expanded ship combat kind of loses its charm after you've boarded X ships. And the side missions are all pretty boring - the diving bell, bombing forts, assassination - there's nothing crafted and interesting save for a few of the main missions.

Is Rogue basically an extension of Black Flag?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I decided to dig into my remaining Assassin's Creed games (everything after 3). After a good amount of hours into Black Flag, it seems kind of...overrated? It's clearly a skin on top of AC3, and the expanded ship combat kind of loses its charm after you've boarded X ships. And the side missions are all pretty boring - the diving bell, bombing forts, assassination - there's nothing crafted and interesting save for a few of the main missions.

It's almost literally Black Flag transplanted into a slightly different version of 3's colonial America.

Any essential mods for Binding of Isaac + DLC? It is only $2 more on Switch this week at Best Buy and that seems a better place to play it. Will get on Switch if no mods are needed.

I like Ubi games and think they make good games, but they really need to mix up some things. Every single Far cry, Assassin's creed, ect. Is the same thing after a few hours. AC has a cool concept and the core game is fun they just need to...make it less repetitive.

Teggy

It's almost literally Black Flag transplanted into a slightly different version of 3's colonial America.

Hm. Maybe I will load it up when I get to it and see how I like the story. I already own everything except for the second two chronicles games. I wonder if I'll be able to mainline Black Flag to the end from where I am. I jumped into the first fort mission without seeing the warning to upgrade my ship in time but managed it. It's got some pretty decent upgrades at this point. But I definitely don't want waste time on whaling and hunting.

I like Ubi games and think they make good games, but they really need to mix up some things. Every single Far cry, Assassin's creed, ect. Is the same thing after a few hours. AC has a cool concept and the core game is fun they just need to...make it less repetitive.

At least with Far Cry 3 and 4 I like the core gameplay of taking over camps. The stealth in AC3/Black Flag is really clumsy and the combat is very limited. They even took out the ability to block! And why can't you crouch between hiding spots?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
All this talk of BG2EE is gonna get me to reinstall it and play that again for the umteenth time.

I mean it would be a nice break from Darkest Dungeon. A game in which my most recent party was just completely destroyed by a surprise boss encounter in a dungeon IN WHICH I HAD ALREADY BEATEN THAT BOSS ONCE. You might think, oh I beat this boss once, why would it be in this dungeon multiple times. but no. Darkest Dungeon hates you and your characters. So you will apparently sometimes fight a boss multiple times in the same dungeon. Fun. By comparison BG2 is like a merry stroll down a brightly lit lane in the spring time.

Click on a sticker and you'll see "rotate" and "stretch" icons, provided you've completed the page and unlocked it for editing.

Click on a sticker in the area under the picture to add it to the picture / Click on a sticker that is is in the picture. It will have a dotted box around it - remove is the X at the top left. Rotate is the anti-clockwise arrow button at the bottom left. Bottom right dot arrow is the enlarge or shrink.

You only need to click once to toggle that option and then move the mouse around. Click again to end.

Be careful of too many layers or stretching too big, as you can then make it impossible to edit (in which case refresh the page and start over)

Thanks, it required restarting the client to get those show up, weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom