• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Forest Warrior -- MB-CF6CC3AB057F6068 - Taken by DataGhost

extra key, take it

I'm about halfway done, but the sale is nearly done, so I'll just say Kathy Rain (so far) is a great point-and-click adventure and well worth your three bucks. I'll post full impressions in a few days when I'm done.

This game was done by a one-man Swedish studio, much like one of my other favourite point-and-clicks (The Samaritan Paradox.) What is it about solo Swedes that makes for great adventuring?

Annubis

Bought 2 minor games and I'm debating if I want something meaty to help until next sale.
Nothing on my wishlist screams 'get me now'...

Discounts on most of my items are also pretty low given that the games are new or not even out of EA.

Hmmmm...
I do have DOS2 coming in so maybe that will be my backup.

titch

No-one mention Hollow Knight is at an all time low on Humble Store especially if you are subbed to the monthly.

Oh and why am i not getting summer sale completionist bade :(

I've checked and saved them all

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
No-one mention Hollow Knight is at an all time low on Humble Store especially if you are subbed to the monthly.

Oh and why am i not getting summer sale completionist bade :(

I've checked and saved them all

Make sure to hit the "Feature on my profile" button on the sticker page.

Platy

LBeHbs9.png

Fun stuff

Eusis

Dark Souls really isn't all that hard, it's mostly a meme because it released during a time where every dev thought all games need to be as easy as possible.

It's more challenging still than your average AAA game sure, but the way it's being treated as one of the hardest franchises on earth for truest hardcore gaym0r roflr0xx0rs is a joke and is more proof of missing perspective than the games difficulty.

Anyone remember Driver? That came broke you in the freakin tutorial.
Dark Souls is kind of on the tier of something like Mega Man I think. Some of those games can be really hard, but usually are doable with practice and are reasonably forgiving for trying again. Ninja Gaiden 1 is the kind of game that goes full bullshit with difficulty, imagine losing soul levels every damn time you fought end game bosses rather than merely risking a drain with one of Demon Souls's. Or each time you fought the boss and lost (not in the stage prior though!) you'd be set back a bonfire or two and have all your shortcuts and one time enemies respawn.

Well, since Best Buy has this laptop trade in deal I think I'll trade in my old, worthless laptop for $75, buy some Steam credit, and then Nier Automata is mine!

Megasoum

Banned
Hollow Knight is so god damn good!

I knew I was still early in the game (I just entered the second zone earlier tonight) but I just stumbled upon a full map of the game by accident and saw the size of the first zone compared to the whole thing....holy shit haha

Sorry for asking but how 'Spooky' is Prey 2017?

As someone whose tolerance of horror only extends to Dead Space and System Shock 2 (i.e. not very high): not that scary. The atmosphere can be quite oppressive, especially at the beginning when you're weaker, but it's not out and out scary and doesn't have any elements of psychological horror or body horror. There is one jump scare, maybe two, built into the game, as well as the organic jump scares from "FUCK THAT CHAIR IS A MIMIC," which still worked on me late into the game because I am a buffoon. You will probably get used to those quick.

Other people are saying it's not horror sci-fi, which is kind of true but I think it is intended to be at least somewhat creepy.

This doesn't make up for your comment about Shadows.
I'm sorry! I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get anything interesting out of the Nemesis system because a bunch of indistinct looking orcs with forgettable names that I couldn't trip over a rock without encountering just oversaturated it to where it effectively didn't exist. The combat being lifted wholesale from Arkham was super tedious as well because unlike a Batman encounter where you might be fighting like 5 thugs at once, you can end up fighting large crowds in Mordor and if you actually do want to fight your way through being the magically imbued revenge boner wraith made flesh, it means going through a whole lot of damage sponging until you can do finishers.

SOLDIER

Any horror games on the level of Corpse Party in regards to atmosphere and spooks?

How is Mad Doctor? That seems to be around that kind of aesthetic. And I know people mention The House of Fata Morgana a lot, but is that more about unnerving vs actual spookiness?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is Brutal Doom hard to install and is there one for doom 2 ?

Yes! In fact I purchased and modded Doom 2, but you can mod Ultimate Doom as well. The instructions are right in the community section and it's a piece of cake to do. There's even a video tutorial.

I don't have stand alone doom on steam, but the ones that come in Doom 3 BFG. Can I use Brutal Doom with it ?

I don't believe so. I have the BFG edition as well, but bought a standalone Doom 2 just for the sake of mods.

The Final Station looks rad, anyone tried it?

I got it in a Humble Bundle and honestly, I think it's pretty boring.

I don't have stand alone doom on steam, but the ones that come in Doom 3 BFG. Can I use Brutal Doom with it ?

It's essentially the same thing. All you need to get started with Doom mods is two files, DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD. Then you get a source port (GZDoom is one of the easiest and most popular), extract it to a folder, put your .wad files in that folder, and now you have Doom with mouse control, a billion other options, and support for 98% of mods/ custom wads.

What's the laptop deal? Is it for any laptop?

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic...orking-laptop-and-get-a-minimum-75-gift-card/

It's essentially the same thing. All you need to get started with Doom mods is two files, DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD. Then you get a source port (GZDoom is one of the easiest and most popular), extract it to a folder, put your .wad files in that folder, and now you have Doom with mouse control, a billion other options, and support for 98% of mods/ custom wads.

Ok, so there is no point in buying the Doom classic pack? I just ask because I've seen threads where people say to buy regular doom 3 with the classic pack vs BFG.

The End

JaseC, might want to take notice:

Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force doesn't have a valid license for one of the middlewares it uses.
The license lapsed on 30.06.2017, so might just be a simple fix by Idea Factory, nevertheless the game can't be run properly now (you need to change your computer's date for it to even boot) and as such it might get removed from Steam.

I wonder if the original version still works

(and I was a little bit salty there wasn't a discounted upgrade for ADF but it seems to me that IF is kind of amateur hour)

I'm sorry! I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get anything interesting out of the Nemesis system because a bunch of indistinct looking orcs with forgettable names that I couldn't trip over a rock without encountering just oversaturated it to where it effectively didn't exist. The combat being lifted wholesale from Arkham was super tedious as well because unlike a Batman encounter where you might be fighting like 5 thugs at once, you can end up fighting large crowds in Mordor and if you actually do want to fight your way through being the magically imbued revenge boner wraith made flesh, it means going through a whole lot of damage sponging until you can do finishers.

All valid criticism.

We'll see how the sequel deals with this.

So I'm thinking of buying a few of these games, which ones should I prioritize?

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Transistor
BRINK

A bit late but I found Killer is Dead to be horrid
Shadowrun Returns was a decent first effort but ultimately was surpassed a ton by Dragonfall (which is amazing!) and Hong Kong (which is still very good). I'd buy the triple pack.
Transistor was my favorite game of 2014
BRINK is deader than dead

haven't played castlevania

Burt

Alright

I'll admit it

I insta-uninstalled Darkest Dungeon after getting my best party wiped by some fucking bullshit.

chixdiggit

Alright

I'll admit it

I insta-uninstalled Darkest Dungeon after getting my best party wiped by some fucking bullshit.

Same experience for me. I tried the game a couple times but quit after having an invested couple characters die. Same thing I hated about X-com.

Victrix

*beard*
You don't invest in Darkest Dungeon characters. They are fleshy meatsacks for the meatgrinder. Make more, send them forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom