• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Cakes

Unfortunately I have an outdated video card that was middle of the road even back in 2012. That's why I'm iffy on Hollow Knight. I'd love to run the game at the full 1920x1080 but I don't think I'd be able to swing it. Seems like the kind of game that would be more demanding than expected.

I'm still looking at Roguelikes and Roguelites. Has anyone tried Risk of Rain? I've been curious about it and it's real cheap. I probably wouldn't play the co-op though.

They don't make games anymore, they don't set the prices. What is Valve even doing?

BMw4gRaxg46RKkyVUe1qh62EVi4oQbzxTuZPE8kjUAesKWmvrWHCcfuspRgCK0QDrUvCx7NyFQkzCoB4d45Auwhd6zwdaytMjylpmgE=w500-h282-nc

They don't make games anymore, they don't set the prices. What is Valve even doing?

They pulled their dev team away from games and assigned them to applying double-sided tape to Gabe's naked body.

Their sales division is now tasked with laying our hundred dollar bills in stacks of three across the floor.

Their only customer service representative has to roll the now tape covered Gabe until his body is covered in the stacks and stacks of cash they have on hand.

Tizoc

Unfortunately I have an outdated video card that was middle of the road even back in 2012. That's why I'm iffy on Hollow Knight. I'd love to run the game at the full 1920x1080 but I don't think I'd be able to swing it. Seems like the kind of game that would be more demanding than expected.

I'm still looking at Roguelikes and Roguelites. Has anyone tried Risk of Rain? I've been curious about it and it's real cheap. I probably wouldn't play the co-op though.

Good thing there are refunds now ;)
Play the game and see if it runs for you and if HK performs badly on your rig, just refund it.

Risk of Rain is probably my favorite roguelike ever. Okay maybe after BOI. It starts out hard but once you get good it is super satisfying.

MadGear

I keep looking into Dead Cells but I simply can't make up my mind about it. I really like the way it looks and the way it seems to play but lately I just feel burned out on the rogue-like/lite concept. When people say that the game reminds them of Rogue Legacy it certainly doesn't help either. I don't know.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Like others I do miss not getting the ultra awesome dailies and I would gladly give up refunds to have those back since I buy PC games many many months after release and would know well in advance if a game is crap and/or runs like crap.

That's my personal preference, BUT I won't argue with anyone who feels the ability to get refunds is worth the trade off.

I keep looking into Dead Cells but I simply can't make up my mind about it. I really like the way it looks and the way it seems to play but lately I just feel burned out on the rogue-like/lite concept. When people say that the game reminds them of Rogue Legacy it certainly doesn't help either. I don't know.

I watched the quick look and it looks like Rogue Legacy but better so if you dont like Rogue Legacy, I would be weary. You could also refund if you dont like it (although its cheaper on bundlestars)

Wok

@Steam_Spy
Find good deals on this Steam sale with Steam Spy's patented algorithm :) steamspy.com/deal/
The algorithm uses user reviews, number of players, YT coverage, release date and discounts to determine the best deals
A recent good game with smaller discount will be ranked higher than an old mediocre game with a bigger discount

With Motorsport Manager at the top of the list, I say it's working pretty damn well.

Decent list.

qvHSCWE.png

Alienfan

How challenging is Hollow Knight? If I find the Dark souls games challenging to a fault and hate running through the same areas over and over again, should I just pass on Hollow Knight?

deleted

What is better for an evening or two of couch coop (not 2 player games, but talking and playing a game on the side)

What remains of Edith Finch

or The Sexy Brutale?

Is one of those done in the matter of hours?

Wok

How challenging is Hollow Knight? If I find the Dark souls games challenging to a fault and hate running through the same areas over and over again, should I just pass on Hollow Knight?

It is challenging but easier on the mind than Dark Souls. Like, challenging enough to bring satisfaction when beating a boss, but not that challenging that you would ragequit during a level.

What is better for an evening or two of couch coop (not 2 player games, but talking and playing a game on the side)

What remains of Edith Finch

or The Sexy Brutale?

Is one of those done in the matter of hours?

Finch. It requires less thinking, and you won't get stuck.

I am only 3 hours in but its not hard yet. Also it has way more in common with Castlevania than Dark Souls. If you like 2d Castlevanias, you will like hollow knight a lot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought HunniePop.

The dialogue is pretty bad but the VO makes me laugh. The puzzle stuff is also not nearly as garbage as I initially expected.

I think I like this style of game? Dating Sim/VN? How would this game be classified?

Anno

I've only played Dark Souls 3 but I would say Hollow Knight is easier. Still a decent challenge though, and there's a lot more difficult optional content.

noomi

So far:

- Maize
- Laura Croft Go
- Beginners Guide
- Specs Ops (fuck yes! was waiting for sale on this)
- H1Z1 KOTK (why not? I love PUBG and wanted to see what this was like)

Debating about picking up PAMELA... looks good, but still EA...

Tizoc

I bought HunniePop.

The dialogue is pretty bad but the VO makes me laugh. The puzzle stuff is also not nearly as garbage as I initially expected.

I think I like this style of game? Dating Sim/VN? How would this game be classified?

Dating Sim+Match 3
If you played Puzzle vs. Dragon, the system is similar.
If you liked the game's match style, check out Might & Magic clash of heroes.

Risk of Rain is really good. The soundtrack has this great, deep bass that keeps your blood moving while you dart around when things get frantic.

At first, it feels impossible, but you'll hit a point where the game just clicks for you and you understand it. From then on, the runs get better and better each time.

Which is, to me, the absolute best part of any rogue-lite-like-type-thing.

Any games like dragons dogma on sale?

I'm not sure that there are that many games like DD at all.

Maybe the Souls and Dragon Age Origins?

---

Has anyone played the Surge far enough to weigh in? The price isn't quite right, yet. But I've seen footage that makes the game look super interesting.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dating Sim+Match 3
If you played Puzzle vs. Dragon, the system is similar.
If you liked the game's match style, check out Might & Magic clash of heroes.

I've never heard of that. Looking at some gameplay, I'll definitely be picking it up. Thanks!

Guess I'll chime in late that I'm also disappointed with these prices. We were really spoiled back in the day, eh? Bummer.

I'll probably only buy 1 or 2 things that I really want - the rest I'll just keep waiting for. Was really hoping to splurge on this sale with some major discounts. Ah well.

Dantrist

Not too much, as I'm mainly interested in PS4 games this year, but got a couple of older games cheap.
MITuuZ5.png

I hope that in a next sale the following games have better deals:
- What Remains of Edith Finch
- Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
- Planet Coaster
- Rain World

There's nothing exactly like Dragon's Dogma but you can check out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Divinity II: Developer's Cut.

Divinity II is really, really good. The game has that "single-player MMO" vibe where you have a good amount of freedom to explore, but there's still a good plot and many interesting characters and events along the way. Also, the music is great.

h#shdem0n

So far I've got Mafia III, Hollow Knight, and the Steam Controller in my cart.

This sale really is weak even compared to previous years IMO.

Divinity II is really, really good. The game has that "single-player MMO" vibe where you have a good amount of freedom to explore, but there's still a good plot and many interesting characters and events along the way. Also, the music is great.

Yeah I really like that game a lot. It's only $1.99, which is great.

I also would recommend Divine Divinity to everyone, it's $0.59 and it's like Diablo with a solid dash of Elder Scrolls or Ultima.

I haven't played Beyond Divinity; everyone says it sucks but you can get it in the Divine Anthology for cheap with Divine and Divinity II.

Dragoshi1

I'm eyeballing these;

Umihara Kawase Collection
Code of Princess
Streets of Rogue
Momodora
Divinity Dragon Commander
Cosmic Star Heroine
GIGA WRECKER
Men at War

All the deals are good until July 5th, right? So I still have time to change my mind on some things.

This steam sale blows....

But it's because I miss the OLD steam sales....where I built most of my library....on deals for games that were like 70-90% off...

However...I was still able to find stuff that I want "around" the price range I wanted them.

UBXLpni.jpg

just sitting in my cart.....still on the fence with a few games....Like Metal gear....being that I have it on PS4...but this includes all DLC and I'll be able to use mods...

man....decisions decisions...

I was hoping PUBG would be like 25% off. I'm still going to hold out on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom