• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cptkrush

Hey guys, I'm looking for something similar to Divinity OS and Divinity OS 2. I have Wasteland 2 sitting in my cart with Pillars of Eternity as well (I know PoE is not a lot like DOS, but a high fantasy RPG sounds great right now). Any suggestions?

Purkake4

Banned
Ugggghhh... I really don't want to buy that much this sale since I have such a decent sized backlog from that past couple sales and am somehow still grinding away with Blood and Wine for TW3, The Long Dark and PUBG.

Somebody convince me not to buy some of this stuff:

pItjTTc.png

Really, Prey and Edith Finch are the 2 games I wanted from this sale since I can see myself realistically playing them before the fall/winter sale.

I've wanted Stellaris for a while even though I never was able to fully get into CK2 (which I want to try and get back to one of these days). How easy is it to get into Stellaris if you're not super familiar with Paradox grand strategy games?

Dragonspear I'll probably get just cause its pretty cheap and its an excuse to play some BG again. Although, maybe I could wait and get it later this year since I'll probably feel a little burned out on RPGs by the time I finish Blood and Wine...

And Ultimate General Civil War looks great since I Ioved Gettysburg when I got it on last year's summer sale but I'm just debating whether I want to get it now or maybe wait a bit.

I just hate looking at my Steam purchase history and seeing games like Soma, Planet Coaster or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I've barely touched any of them and now they're a fair amount cheaper than when I bought them.
Stellaris is still quite unbaked IMO. Not hard to get into but still gets boring quite fast and doesn't have all the mechanics working like CK2 or EU4 have managed.

I'm eyeing Pit People, too. I'm a sucker for turn-based games but I'm pretty bad at them. Looking forward to your impressions!
I had played the beta a while back. It was really good. Simple to play while still having a decent amount of tactical depth. It's very focused on positioning. If you've played the mobile roguelike Hoplite, it's kind of like that, but more complex

Oreoleo

Thanks all. Think I'll go with Modern Warfare. Though would it be better to wait for the remaster?

Isn't the remaster gonna be $30? Not sure a fresh coat of paint is worth the $20 premium if you're just going through the campaign. Modern Warfare isn't exactly an ugly game.

The triple threat of Hollow Knight, Rain World, and Ori are making it difficult to decide on just one. I'm kinda leaning towards Rain World, just because I've been fascinated with the concept since it released, but I'm kinda afraid I won't like its ruthless difficulty. HK and Ori don't concern me in this way, but nor have they so specifically caught my eye either.

Summer sales are tough.
questions about telltale's batman:
1. Is still laggy/buggy etc?
2. Is it like the other telltale games? With "fake" choices and only one ending?
  1. Yes
  2. I think there's some branches on the ending, but otherwise yes. Should be noted that their games have never been about the choices, but the journey, and I don't think Batman is a big change from that; if you like their other stuff, you may enjoy Batman.
It's a really average TT game, I'd say. OK but not particularly impressive or memorable. But then I'd rank it above Wolf Among Us and people loved that, so I dunno, maybe I have odd taste.
Ugggghhh... I really don't want to buy that much this sale since I have such a decent sized backlog from that past couple sales and am somehow still grinding away with Blood and Wine for TW3, The Long Dark and PUBG.

Somebody convince me not to buy some of this stuff:

Really, Prey and Edith Finch are the 2 games I wanted from this sale since I can see myself realistically playing them before the fall/winter sale.

I've wanted Stellaris for a while even though I never was able to fully get into CK2 (which I want to try and get back to one of these days). How easy is it to get into Stellaris if you're not super familiar with Paradox grand strategy games?

Dragonspear I'll probably get just cause its pretty cheap and its an excuse to play some BG again. Although, maybe I could wait and get it later this year since I'll probably feel a little burned out on RPGs by the time I finish Blood and Wine...

And Ultimate General Civil War looks great since I Ioved Gettysburg when I got it on last year's summer sale but I'm just debating whether I want to get it now or maybe wait a bit.

I just hate looking at my Steam purchase history and seeing games like Soma, Planet Coaster or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I've barely touched any of them and now they're a fair amount cheaper than when I bought them.

Stellaris is a 4X early-game, and there's plenty of tutorials, so it's not too difficult to grasp. The Paradox-trademark "Grand Strategy" stuff only comes into player later on. Civ5's probably the easiest entry into 4X games, and I'd rank Stellaris only a few spots below.

Note that Stellaris' price may be inflated in your region currently due to Paradox's recently-reverted repricing scheme, but the catch is it will only be reverted after the Summer sale. (Basically, if you're not in the US the price was likely jacked up.) You may get a refund on the extra cost, or it may go to charity depending on Valve's ability to offer partial refunds. It might be a hassle either way--best to be aware of that before jumping aboard.

While I'd normally champion Stellaris, it's kinda hard to with the pricing shenanigans right now. It'll be on sale some other time, with a proper price, which may end up a lot cheaper in some (most?) regions.

Pachimari

I think my left analogue stick on the Xbox Elite controller is broken? I noticed when playing Witcher 3, that whenever I let go of the stick it will kick back, so Geralt won't only stop up, he will stop up and take a step back.

Necrovex

questions about telltale's batman:
1. Is still laggy/buggy etc?
2. Is it like the other telltale games? With "fake" choices and only one ending?

1) Oh god yes. This was the biggest problem for Batman. The engine was complete garbage. I can handle Telltale's jank, but this took it to a new level. It was almost unplayable at points.

2) I think certain minor aspects can be changed, but to my knowledge, it's like the other Telltales titles in regards to following a mostly linear path for the main story beats.

If the game is fixed up, I'd recommend it. I liked the game a lot when it was actually working.

Steel

Banned
I think my left analogue stick on the Xbox Elite controller is broken? I noticed when playing Witcher 3, that whenever I let go of the stick it will kick back, so Geralt won't only stop up, he will stop up and take a step back.

Could try another game to make sure, but that sucks.

fallout

Hey guys, I'm looking for something similar to Divinity OS and Divinity OS 2. I have Wasteland 2 sitting in my cart with Pillars of Eternity as well (I know PoE is not a lot like DOS, but a high fantasy RPG sounds great right now). Any suggestions?
PoE certainly isn't a bad pick. The combat might put you off (Real-Time with Pause), but the world they built is interesting enough as is the main story. Lots of interesting little sidestories, too.

I'd also just recommend playing Baldur's Gate 2, if you've never.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So does Fallout 4 get better or worse as it goes on, and does the performance start to tank in later areas? So far it's running well. I've put 90 minutes into it and so far I'm liking it, it's not blowing me away but it's enjoyable and I'm leaning towards keeping it at £9.99. I've installed a bunch of mods already that apparently make the game better without changing it too much. I can't get the unofficial patch sadly as I don't have the DLC and can't afford to get it either, but are there other ones I should look into? I'm looking for stuff that just improves the experiance without going OTT or hurting performance.

ksJBqGJ.png

One thing I don't like, and it's not just this game is when I sprint turning the camera feels really stiff, I wonder if there's a way to fix that?

Purkake4

Banned
So does Fallout 4 get better or worse as it goes on, and does the performance start to tank in later areas? So far it's running well. I've put 90 minutes into it and so far I'm liking it, it's not blowing me away but it's enjoyable and I'm leaning towards keeping it at £9.99. I've installed a bunch of mods already that apparently make the game better without changing it too much. I can't get the unofficial patch sadly as I don't have the DLC and can't afford to get it either, but are there other ones I should look into? I'm looking for stuff that just improves the experiance without going OTT or hurting performance.

https://i.imgur.com/ksJBqGJ.png[IMG]

One thing I don't like, and it's not just this game is when I sprint turning the camera feels really stiff, I wonder if there's a way to fix that?[/QUOTE]
I can just tell you that the main story is pants-on-head ridiculous and makes zero sense, so don't play it for that.

Fallout 4's performance is terrible. The load times into the open world take minutes, I dunno how anyone can bear it.

This wasn't on an SSD, but still. It's one of the longest load times I've ever experienced.
1) Oh god yes. This was the biggest problem for Batman. The engine was complete garbage. I can handle Telltale's jank, but this took it to a new level. It was almost unplayable at points.

2) I think certain minor aspects can be changed, but to my knowledge, it's like the other Telltales titles in regards to following a mostly linear path for the main story beats.

If the game is fixed up, I'd recommend it. I liked the game a lot when it was actually working.
I dont know what it is but I find it very hard to enjoy most first person games...I like seeing my character :p

For the longest time I thought I didn't have any kind of aesthetic hang-up, but then there was Battle Brothers.
Battle Brothers has no legs. I want legs in my games.

Although thinking back, Rayman kinda bothers me too.

TsuXna

Just visited Witcher 3. God damn its visually stunning. I need to finish The Witcher 2 first tho, but my backlog is uuuuge.

iKEOCK7.png

New ones except for FFVII. I was looking at Pillars of Eternity but it looks like the developers have been up to some dodgy practice...

I've only ever played the first Assassins Creed a long time ago, if I only wanted to play maybe 2 or 3 games in the series which would be the ones to go for? 2, Unity, Syndicate?
Brotherhood for sure.

Jalal

Don't go near Empire Earth 3

Don't worry. I didn't.

I add Star Wars Battlegrounds and Rise of Legends to those two.

Relevant. SW battlegrounds is basically a paid, studio quality SW mod for AoE. If you're into SW AND AoE its perfect.

Rise of Legends is the interesting but flawed pesudo-sequel to the sublime Rise of Nations. One of the more interesting/non-generic fantasy RTS.

TsuXna

For someone who likes the Dark Souls series but didn't care much for Hollow Knight, what are some other games?

The Surge is great. Boss battles are ok tho. It doesn't give you the feeling of "Top 10 anime battles" like Souls boss.
Dead Cells is really good, but still in early access.

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask, but I recently bought Stacking and I can't get it to play any audio at all. Other games don't show this problem. I've tried validating the files and reinstalling the Visual C++ thing but to no avail. I also tried running it in administrator mode. Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit

c0Zm1c

Fallout 4's performance is terrible. The load times into the open world take minutes, I dunno how anyone can bear it.

This wasn't on an SSD, but still. It's one of the longest load times I've ever experienced.

I haven't played it in ages but I don't remember the load times being that bad (I don't have a SSD either).

I haven't played it in ages but I don't remember the load times being that bad (I don't have a SSD either).

Yeah, I'm not sure what was up. But it always seemed to take waaaaaay too long.

This was in the first hour or two of the game with no DLC or mods, so I'd like to think it was under ideal circumstances.

DPB

Have you played the Shadowrun games? Dragonfall is generally considered the best of the three. The combat isn't as great as Divinity OS, but it's still turn-based and the story and characters are way ahead of anything in Divinity.

EDIT: Looking at the sale now, I'd buy the bundle that includes all of them as it's dirt cheap now. Shadowrun Returns isn't as well-liked as the other two but I still think it's worth getting anyway.

Oreoleo

I think you should be able to increase the dead zone slightly through Steam's big picture mode the same way you would a Steam controller to mitigate that.

hows warhammer deathwing ? heard it was poor at launch but they patched alot, any one here play recently ?
I don't have it either but my understanding is the game is actually pretty decent but there's little replayability for what's supposed to be a co-op game and the performance is kind of bad in spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom