• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Talk about difficult choice wanted both Risen and Divinity(already own two world) finally went with Divinity.

Going to get Crusader 2 and splinter cell conviction & chaos theory.

Shurayuki

I Have a Windows 7 64bits, Geforce 570 and Intel i5 2500k. All my games runs flawless, just Splinter Cell have this problem. The game runs with really well, but in 3 minutes everything becomes slowmotion, until i press ALT-TAB and return to the game. If you go to the Ubisoft forum, there is a lot of people with the same problem. And Ubisoft does nothing about it. Anyway the game is great, even with this anoying thing. I love Splinter Cell franchise. Played all the games. Just wished Conviction had no problems.

Now this is a really long shot but have you ever tried this fix from Chaos Theory (if those options are even there).
Longest shot ever taken sorry.

Slow Motion Gameplay on Multi-core CPUs

If you have a multi-core CPU and Versus seems to run in slow motion, fix this issue by following the instructions below.

Navigate to your Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Versus System folder. The default installation directory is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory\Versus\System\

Open up the Default.ini file in Notepad. Scroll down (or use the Find function) to the [Core.System] category. Find the lines UseAlternateTimer=false.
Change UseAlternateTimer=false to UseAlternateTimer=true.
Save the file. Close Notepad.
Launch the game and play!

We've had a couple of new PC gamers in here where this is their first sale.

Please friend me as I may have something that is essential to anyone new to PC gaming to give you. I'll check your inventory and if you don't have HL2 (it's been in my gift stash for far too long), you soon will

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hot_sawce

Holy crap... connections...? Half-Life 3?!?! LET'S BLOW THIS OUT OF PROPORTIONS

edit: jk, don't bother him too much.

edit2: lol sorry guys, I thought he meant for every friend invite. My bad.

bender

What time is it?
I don't know why I did it but I double dipped on The Walking Dead last night. That's what I get for browsing Steam way past my bedtime. Everybody better have purchased the Amanita bundle.

Sye d'Burns

For the new page:
Man, I love Crusader Kings II. Get this game, people!

Set your own goals, no matter how unrealistic, and make them happen.

I cannot stop singing the praises of this game.

Don't let the full-priced Sword of Islam DLC dissuade you too heavily. The latest patch gives you all the improvements of SoI, excepting the ability to play a Muslim country. All the DLC does is flip the playability toggle.

Buy the game and see if it's for you. By the time you've given it a good run, you'll likely be able to pick up the DLC on the cheap.

---

Man, that Crusader Kings II trailer makes a damn good case for a purchase.

You should watch the seven sins trailers on youtube.

Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Wroth
Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Greed
Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Lust
Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Envy
Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Pride
Crusader Kings II - Seven Deadly Sins: Sloth

I'm not finding gluttony. Great trailers.

Is the Crusader Kings 2 collection the better buy over just the game itself?

The mongol faces are, imo the best value of the lot. The songs are rather good and the ruler designer is pretty much panned by everyone. Never used it myself.

I think for the 2.50 extra that it is worth it to go for the collection.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'd really like to try CKII, but Paradox games simply baffle me. I have no idea what's going on or what I should be aiming. Maybe if it were $5 I'd take the hit and see for myself.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't know how long Splinter Cell CT has heen on sale but I snapped that up.Hope the online is still functioning.

I guess that counts as a purchase for today and pending how bad the dailies/flash sales are, it may be the only damage today.

I played The Longest Journey for the first time last night and was extremely impressed with the atmosphere and characters. It really draws you in very early in the game. I hope this game continues on being great as it has been so far.

Don't know how long Splinter Cell CT has heen on sale but I snapped that up.Hope the online is still functioning.

I guess that counts as a purchase for today and pending how bad the dailies/flash sales are, it may be the only damage today.

It went on sale when Conviction won the community vote.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

As I said earlier, not officially but you can still play online unofficially in Chaos Theory, but definitely worth it for the single player alone.

oipic

Risen is unavailable on the Australian store, so that'll make for an interesting community choice sale should it get up in the voting.

Are there any US folks online at the moment who can kindly help out with some gifting?

OniShiro

Banned
I played The Longest Journey for the first time last night and was extremely impressed with the atmosphere and characters. It really draws you in very early in the game. I hope this game continues on being great as it has been so far.
Game is great with a small fall towards the end, one of the best adventure games ever.

goober

Which Splinter Cell is worth my monies? I remember playing one on the original Xbox and comepletely sucking. But now that I'm a mature young adult.. perhaps I can actually grasp the concept of stealth.

How user friendly is Crusader Kings 2? I've usually found Paradox Strategy games to be impenetrable...

The interface is really hard to get past, but there are tutorials in-game to help. I found that I learned the most by doing the tutorials, then starting up a game and just playing around with stuff. The random events that happen help guide you, and you set your own goals for yourself (keeping in mind that your final score is affected by your accomplishments, measured by prestige and piety).

I struggled for the first hour or so, but there are amazing, unique storylines that come from your decisions and random events. This game steals so much of my time now, lol.

Shurayuki

It absolutely does, I want to caution everybody at this point to definitely save your game before using the rubber duck in a puzzle's solution, afaik they have never patched the game ending bug with it, first thing that happened to me in the game and almost turned me off of it.
If you do things in the wrong order it won't work where you need it and you can't progress.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Which Splinter Cell is worth my monies? I remember playing one on the original Xbox and comepletely sucking. But now that I'm a mature young adult.. perhaps I can actually grasp the concept of stealth.

If you're only picking up one, definitely Chaos Theory.

Tomodachi

I tried the demo version of Europa Universalis III some days ago and was really confused about it, the tutorial actually explains 1% of the mechanics. I have no experience at all with this kind of games (only played Civ5 a lot, and I'm playing a bit of Civ4 right now, but they look much more simple than EU3).

That said, should I get Crusader Kings 2? Is it more or less friendly to the casual gamer? I really like the interface/graphical style and the the dark ages way more than 1492+. But since it's so pricey I don't want to risk buying something I won't touch for more than 20 frustrating minutes.

EDIT: I saw that someone already asked the same thing while I was writing this, but then again the first question still stands: friendlier than EU3 or not? :D

ShaneB

Enjoy the ride! The characters are indeed terrific, every interaction is worthwhile, and while there might be big exposition dumps, nothing ever felt like it dragged on because I cared what the characters had to say.

Also, keep in the mind the fast forward option. April's walk/run speed is so dreadfully slow, being able to zip around in fast motion is a godsend. I think it's default with the ~ key?

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
ok gaf.

do i get The Witcher? or do I wait and hope they release the witcher 2 on Mac or PS3

Also, do I bite on the Walking Dead season pass or wait for a pack set. wait to see how the season turns out overall. etc.

I am in no rush to buy/play any games currently. Sitting on an unplayed Portal 2 still

Sye d'Burns

How user friendly is Crusader Kings 2? I've usually found Paradox Strategy games to be impenetrable...

There's a hump, no doubt. I have mentioned it in the past but I highly recommend reading this Let's Play by a fellow named Kersch.

How the Hell Do We Play Crusader Kings 2?

The first two posts go over some of the basic nuts and bolts. The story gets rolling at the third post. It's both highly entertaining and highly informative.

I played along with it for a couple of hours and tried to recreate as much as I could. In that time I developed a pretty good understanding and felt comfortable enough to take the training wheels off.

Game is great with a small fall towards the end, one of the best adventure games ever.

Thanks for the heads up. Not much games can draw me in like this game has done already. The game oozes with atmosphere and the characters don't feel forced. I really enjoy April and Fionna's character so far. Soo good.

It absolutely does, I want to caution everybody at this point to definitely save your game before using the rubber duck in a puzzle's solution, afaik they have never patched the game ending bug with it, first thing that happened to me in the game and almost turned me off of it.
If you do things in the wrong order it won't work where you need it and you can't progress.

Thanks. I will try to remember this. Sucks they never patched it though. :\

Enjoy the ride! The characters are indeed terrific, every interaction is worthwhile, and while there might be big exposition dumps, nothing ever felt like it dragged on because I cared what the characters had to say.

Also, keep in the mind the fast forward option. April's walk/run speed is so dreadfully slow, being able to zip around in fast motion is a godsend. I think it's default with the ~ key?

Thanks for the tip. :)

That said, should I get Crusader Kings 2? Is it more or less friendly to the casual gamer? I really like the interface/graphical style and the the dark ages way more than 1492+. But since it's so pricey I don't want to risk buying something I won't touch for more than 20 frustrating minutes.

The game definitely requires patience to learn, but it's worth it. There are tutorials in-game that help you learn the interface. Once I did that, I was pretty well set. The rest is just a "learn as you go" kind of thing.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For Splinter Cell:

Chaos theory is the definitive Splinter Cell game. If you have to buy one, buy that one. For multiplayer, it has online co-op, and the co-op campaign is great, but it is no longer officially running servers so you have to use outside clients (like Hamachi) to play online.

Outside of that, the second best is probably either the original game or Conviction. The original if you want a stealth game, Conviction if you want a stealth-action game or an expanded Splinter Cell co-op experience. This one is still supported online and is pretty good as well. Has stealth in it, but also much more action in it.

Double Agent is the worst of the bunch, not helped that the PC port is a bit shoddy.

Shurayuki

I think if you click on a place you want to walk to and then press esc you skip to where you clicked.

(google says you might have to activate that in the menu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom