• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
There's a Game of Thrones mod for this? :O I just picked this up from the recent Amazon Paradox bundle; I'll have to check this mod out.

Yeah it was even updated recently but I haven't messed with it in a while. I do like playing the normal game more right now.

Crusader Kings 2 is kind of catching my attention now

Is it all about scheming or are there large scales battles and stuff like the Total War games?

Nah it's more like a numbers simulation as far as battles go though you do need to have the proper preparations beforehand. The politics in the game is fascinating though. You can be put in a situation where your younger midget sibling kidnaps your daughter and holds her for ransom or just plain revolts on your kingdom/territory.

Shurayuki

not even a minute, wow. nice of you feef, looks pretty great.

Surely you guys weren't expecting a JRPG, of all games, to win the community vote? This is Steam. On the PC. It stood no chance at all.

You don't believe in the magic of fri...Steamship?

Also just cast your oculars upwards, what dou you see? Believe man believe, Gaben is kind.

Indyana

I'm confused. Should I buy the Splinter Cell Conviction or the Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe with the Infiltration mode included?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Already own Risen and Divinity II. No interest in Two Worlds II at all and I thought Risen was a bit too niche-y for my taste so I'm voting for Divinity II so hopefully more people will buy and play it.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm confused. Should I buy the Splinter Cell Conviction or the Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe with the Infiltration mode included?

Someone said before that Infiltration Mode can be unlocked in the non-Deluxe version of the game with in-game currency, so I'd definitely skip the Deluxe version.

For those who are still wondering whether the y should get the Amanita bundle/games:

I'd suggest to not get the bundle. You only save 85 cents, it includes a soundtrack (great soundtrack, but still) and I would not recommend Samarost 2 (pixel hunt PnC) to everyone. I recommend getting Machinarium and/or Botanicula.

Both are quite different games.

Machinarium is the best 'game'. It's a point and click puzzler, but you can also change the height of you character and use some items. The puzzles are pretty good and can be quite difficult. Luckily you can get hints for every area and if you are really stuck, you can complete a small minigame that explains step for step what you should do to complete the area. The story is pretty minimal, but it's told in a nice way. I think the style used is amazing and very consistent. The music is great too.

Botanicula is less a game and more an interactive story book. You help an band of weird forest creatures complete their journey to save their tree from parasitic invaders. In each level, you can explore/visit a lot of different areas and meet all kinds of weird creatures. . The puzzles element are minor, most of them can be completed by clicking on a complete of objects until you are done. While not as consistent as Machinarium, it looks incredible. Each area is filled with all kinds of creatures/leaving/whatever moving around. The sound, both music and sound effects, other is also superb. Overall Botanicula is incredibly charming adventure.

donny2112

I love Steam sales. Not as much for the deep discounts (though, those are much appreciated), but more so because it brings up interesting little games that I think I'll enjoy, that I never would have seen/heard of before. Churning up the water to bring different stuff to the top is quite nice. :)

I'd suggest to not get the bundle. You only save 85 cents, it includes a soundtrack (great soundtrack, but still) and I would not recommend Samarost 2 (pixel hunt PnC) to everyone.

Oh, just picked up the bundle. :lol Samorost 2 is supposed to be < 2 hours, so I figure even if it's not much fun, I can follow a guide for 2 hours just to finish it off. :)

ShaneB

Man, I kinda want to check out Crusader Kings II just for the GoT mod, but I have no idea what I'd be really getting into, and primarily that 10$ is too rich for my blood right now since I'm getting down near the end of my budget.

Yeah it was even updated recently but I haven't messed with it in a while. I do like playing the normal game more right now.

Nah it's more like a numbers simulation as far as battles go though you do need to have the proper preparations beforehand. The politics in the game is fascinating though. You can be put in a situation where your younger midget sibling kidnaps your daughter and holds her for ransom or just plain revolts on your kingdom/territory.

wat?

this sounds incredibly saucy

i'm gonna buy it

Jobacca

Neo Member
I love Steam sales. Not as much for the deep discounts (though, those are much appreciated), but more so because it brings up interesting little games that I think I'll enjoy, that I never would have seen/heard of before. Churning up the water to bring different stuff to the top is quite nice. :)

Agreed, like Galactic Civ II, Terraria, and Frozen Synapse for me. Love them all.

oipic

Is Splinter Cell Chaos Theory $2.50 on the US store? If so, are there are kind Gaffers willing and able to gift it after receiving some monies via PayPal (or receive a game of the same value in exchange)? Please PM - ta muchly!

Also, for those who have been waiting for a Steam sale return appearance of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it's currently $7.50 over on GMG.

Botanicula is less a game and more an interactive story book. You help an band of weird forest creatures complete their journey to save their tree from parasitic invaders. In each level, you can visit a lot of different areas and meet all kinds of weird creatures. The puzzles element are minor, most of them can be completed by clicking on a complete of objects until you are done. While not as consistent as Machninarium, it looks incredible. Each area is filled with all kinds of creatures/leaving/whatever moving around. The sound, both music and sound effects, other is also superb. Overall Botanicula is incredibly charming adventure.

How long is it? I watched the Quick Look and felt like I saw a big chunk of the game.

kitzkozan

Agreed, like Galactic Civ II, Terraria, and Frozen Synapse for me. Love them all.

Yes, the GAF hype and enthusiasm for Galactic Civ II sold me on the game (along with my own interest for the sci-fi genre) . The same goes for The longest journey which I had completely forgotten about. :p

Giard

What are the "must-haves" of Crusader Kings II DLC?
Sword of Islam is the only one that adds gameplay features. The others are skins and songs, except for the Ruler Designer. Go for Sword of Islam if it's inexpensive.

A question of my own: I'd like to discover the stealth genre, I already bought the Thief collection. Should I get the old Splinter Cell games? Only some of them?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
This would be so wonderful if it was actually happening*. Between the community vote, flash deals and dailies, a good chunk of the featured items haven't been "Wow, what's that?" so much as "Wow, that again?"

* Minor exaggeration, but Steam could be doing so much better with this. So much better.

mrwilt

I take it Singularity isn't going to be part of this sale? Was really hoping to pick that one up. I hope Deus Ex HR comes back up again, too - missed it the first time.

I really wonder why there are hidden flash deals every day.

Here in Germany you can also buy The Whispered World for -75%.
It's not so much that they're hidden, it's just that the front page does a poor job conveying that the series is on sale when it only highlights the latest one. I have to keep reminding myself of that too, as I glossed over Red Faction Armageddon a bunch until I realized I wanted the original and it was on sale as a result.

Sye d'Burns

Man, I love Crusader Kings II. Get this game, people!

Set your own goals, no matter how unrealistic, and make them happen.

Rv6xg.jpg

I cannot stop singing the praises of this game.

Don't let the full-priced Sword of Islam DLC dissuade you too heavily. The latest patch gives you all the improvements of SoI, excepting the ability to play a Muslim country. All the DLC does is flip the playability toggle.

Buy the game and see if it's for you. By the time you've given it a good run, you'll likely be able to pick up the DLC on the cheap.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
When did the prices stop showing up on wishlists? Was looking over mine and had to visit the store page for each one to check prices.
It's an off-and-on thing related to server load. Try sorting a couple different ways or checking again later, and hopefully the prices will show up on the sort you want.

I just picked up the Max Payne bundle (1+2) for $3.74 75% off. Never played those. Just a heads up for the flash deal.

Yea this seems like one of their truly "hidden" flash deals since it was the same the last time it appeared (it was actually seeing a poster listing it in his/her haul that notified me that it existed).

But it guess it will be in the limelight soon

Giard

For the new page: I'd like to discover the stealth genre, I already bought the Thief collection. Should I get the old Splinter Cell games? Only some of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom