• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take this millionth time that the Civ franchise has been on sale to double-dip Civ IV and BtS. I have them on... ugh... discs... and I'm ready for Steam versions. Dumb question, but I just thought of it - are the Steam versions moddable with FfH2, etc?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It states for Fallout GOTY, "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7." Has anyone have problems running FO3 on their rig?

Yeah, kept freezing constantly for me (couldn't get past the intro sequence) until I made the ini edits detailed here. After that it's been smooth sailing, except that I get constant microstuttering/frame skipping even though I'm v-synced at 60 fps. This is supposedly a well-known issue with the game engine, and there doesn't seem to be a really good fix for it.

linkent

No ARMA II: CO... :( Someone hold me....

tumblr_m6iaf2s7bp1qev756.jpg

Driver! Yes! How much is it in the US?

Still hoping we see the LEGO franchise at some point. Maybe it'll be up on the last day like ARMA II will be? Right....Right?

NME

Driver San Francisco! Civ V: Gods & Kings! Capsized!

(Ok, Capsized has been $3.39 the entire time...still great!)

A great day!

Gala

Picked up Driver (5 Euro, why not?) and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Hope Transformers will be a flash sale later today :(

No ARMA II: CO... :( Someone hold me....

At this point (and I hope I am wrong) don't really believe to an Arma franchise deal, unless they plan it for the final day for Bohemia to troll us.

The last Arma franchise deal was in October/November and it was something like -60% off or something. Before the DayZ hype train, the Arma games were up on weekend sales, with some pretty heavy discounts, at least twice a year.

Wazzim

Banned
Woot, Driver! Gifting it to a friend so he has a surprise when he comes home from his holiday.

EDIT: wat, he already bought the game without waiting on the daily deal.

Sheesh Dungeon Defenders has a ton of DLC. Anyway I only want to buy the heroes. I have the four gender swaps from last sale which only leaves the Series EV, Summoner and Barbarian. Right? Or are there other heroes hidden in the various packs?

Also planing to pick up Civ III. I played a ton of it years ago, time to pick it back up I think. I wish II was on there too

Daante

Does Valve release any official information after the sale is over regarding how many games that where bought/profit or something?

1-D_FTW

ITSP

*fist pump*

All we need now is Dustforce to show up as a flash.

Still think this summer's format blows, but by and large, the markdowns have been pretty darn good.

squall211

Civ V GOTY is $12.49. I think that'll be today's purchase. If either Risen or Divinity II wins the next vote I'll pick one of those up also.

JeTmAn81

I think I'm gonna buy The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. It's a 2008 release, so my 2008 laptop can probably actually run it. It's only $2.49! My decision to only buy PC-exclusive games should help me make this my only other purchase of this sale aside from SSF IV AE (purchased before that PC-exclusive decision!).

RedSwirl

The 360 version is the same game as the PC version. Unless you're doing it for collection purposes or you see yourself replaying the PC version you'll only be getting improved graphics / framerate.

I don't know. I was thinking about going through Co-Op and trying out those other modes. I already tried to ghost run the campaign. Might try to actually play through it the way Ubisoft wanted me to play it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Real talk I'm tempted to buy Magicka DLC that I don't already own even though I can't even run the damn game on my PC without errors everywhere :(

At least Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is a flash deal. Not a bad game at all and for those of you who get it, hopefully you don't have your save file corrupted like I did. :-\

Quick, someone sell me on Driver SF

You can see the inspiration from Bullitt everywhere, there's actual humor, the multiplayer ain't too shabby either. But really, it's a bit like playing a 70s cop movie. I don't like me the driving games very often, but Driver was unfairly damaged by its crap demo. It's actually a pretty damned good game and well worth the time and the $7.50.

Best I got for you.

Koroviev

Real talk I'm tempted to buy Magicka DLC that I don't already own even though I can't even run the damn game on my PC without errors everywhere :(

I've had a lot of issues with Magicka, even after upgrading my PC. Haven't tried it with my latest card yet.

jarosh

I'll re-post this excerpt from my mini review of the F.E.A.R. collection for people who consider picking up F.E.A.R. 3:

F.E.A.R. 3

At first this seems like more of the same. The primary solo campaing is a very generic shooter with some fairly frustrating sections. Added in are some RPG light features. You go for achievement-like challenges and upgrade your character's stats in the process. You get ranked at the end of each level. Some of the challenges are actually quite fun to do. I always like an added incentive to work toward these normally pointless profile "badges". But let me tell you why this game might really be worth your time: Paxton Fettel...

You can either play the game in co-op with two characters that have vastly different play styles or, sadly only after completing a chapter with the generic "dude with guns and slo-mo", you can play alone as the amazing Paxton Fettel. Paxton is a spirit who can posess any enemy's body, then use it as a vessel to cause maximum mayhem, dispose of it and cause some further mayhem with his telekinesis powers (available in spirit form) by throwing everything he can find at his enemies, then jumping from body to body again, warping and zooming around the level with ever changing weapons at his disposal. Bodies are just as disposable as weapons here and both can and often are dropped at a moment's notice. It's a joy, and if done right it almost always borders on glorious, nearly unintelligible chaos.

You're clearly overpowered, but it just doesn't matter, it's so much fun. Say you have 4 guys shooting at you and you just zoom into the guy standing at the back who had just been trying to kill you and you quickly take out his 3 friends without them even noticing what happened. Typically every shootout spawns a ton of guys and you zooming around the level will trigger many waves early on, so you'll be jumping from body to body constantly (there's a very liberal time limit/restriction in place that you don't have to worry about too much if you keep collecting the souls of dead guys). But that's the point. If you're not constantly jumping from one corner of the room to the other and picking up and launching everything that's not bolted to the ground into your enemies' faces while you're in spirit form, you're doing something wrong.

Later on the game throws some zombie-like enemies at you and it is only when you finally get to play those chapters with Paxton that you realize how these are all unique enemy types with distinct melee weapons and attacks. You posess their bodies and all of a sudden you're a zombie and you find yourself biting other guys and hitting them in the face with hammers and wrenches. Great stuff.

The only downside then is that this mode only becomes available for the chapters that you've cleared with the boring shootbang guy. Shame really. Maybe there's a completed save out there that will let you just play through the game with Paxton from the get-go.

ShaneB

Will let my decision stew for a bit. Want to get ITSP, but since playing NFS:HP, I do miss open world racing, so it is tempting to skip ITSP and use the money towards Driver:SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom