• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 3: Sale is over, use this thread for "Look wat i bot"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Time's up, here you have the answer for the code.

People seemed to get quite a bit hung up on the binary part, thinking it was ascii, but there is a pretty simple way to convert the alphabet to numbers, namely making a=1 b=2 etc. So we start of with converting the binary code to decimals, giving us 63 88 3 100 137 174 46 69 113 228 29 197 171 11 250 87

But most of these numbers are to high, so we take modulus 26 from each number (IE removing 26 until you wind up with a number between 1-26) which gives us 11 10 3 22 7 18 20 17 9 20 3 15 15 11 16 9 or kjcvgrtqitcookpi.

Complete nonsense, unless you decode it with a caesar cipher. By brute forcing it or just guessing that the shift value is 2, you can decode the message and wind up with the secret message ihateprogramming.

Maybe a bit hard, but with some more time and dedication you probably could have solved it.

No shit eh? I would never have thought to even use a modulus nor have I ever heard of the caesar cipher.

Now I don't feel so bad about not figuring this out.

People seemed to get quite a bit hung up on the binary part, thinking it was ascii, but there is a pretty simple way to convert the alphabet to numbers, namely making a=1 b=2 etc. So we start of with converting the binary code to decimals, giving us 63 88 3 100 137 174 46 69 113 228 29 197 171 11 250 87

But most of these numbers are to high, so we take modulus 26 from each number (IE removing 26 until you wind up with a number between 1-26) which gives us 11 10 3 22 7 18 20 17 9 20 3 15 15 11 16 9 or kjcvgrtqitcookpi.

Complete nonsense, unless you decode it with a caesar cipher. By brute forcing it or just guessing that the shift value is 2, you can decode the message and wind up with the secret message ihateprogramming.

Maybe a bit hard, but with some more time and dedication you probably could have solved it.

I knew it was a caesar cipher! Anyway, this puzzle was a great way to keep me entertained. Thanks! :D

gabbo

Rebel Leader, Napoleonthechimp, soundman, joe molotov, DeadFalling, code blue, videoman, Roaddogg, Lonewolf_92, dot, snack and maddwall, and demon lizardman for the snake?

Fireblend

Banned

Woah. I was so damn close, I had kjcvgrtqitcookpi and never thought there would be another step, I just discarded it and thought I was looking too much into it. I tried the Caesar cipher, ROT13, substitution cipher and others too. Hahaha, Damn.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Woah. I was so damn close, I had kjcvgrtqitcookpi and never thought there would be another step, I just discarded it and thought I was looking too much into it. Damn.

I knew it was a caesar cipher! Anyway, this puzzle was a great way to keep me entertained. Thanks! :D

The fact that you guys actually got passed the modulus step scares me. Apparently I have a lot of work to do as far as CompSci goes.

Toki767

Alright, so since my friend was kind enough to give me a $50 Steam card as a late birthday present, I'll gift another game to someone. This time I'll do a $10 maximum game of their choice. If you want, you can also get 4 $2.50 games or 2 $5 games.

I'm too lazy to think of a contest so just do what we did earlier today and quote this to enter. I'll pick a winner around 10PM PST (1 hours and 36 minutes from now) to give people who are probably asleep in other parts of the world a chance to enter.

Alright, so since my friend was kind enough to give me a $50 Steam card as a late birthday present, I'll gift another game to someone. This time I'll do a $10 maximum game of their choice. If you want, you can also get 4 $2.50 games or 2 $5 games.

I'm too lazy to think of a contest so just do what we did earlier today and quote this to enter. I'll pick a winner around 10PM PST (1 hours and 36 minutes from now) to give people who are probably asleep in other parts of the world a chance to enter.

quoting

Grakl

Incoming 200
quotes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Sure why not.

snack

Sure!

tumblr_lthguj4IHl1ql141xo1_500.gif

We really should make this stuff pms :/

Still entering :)

hi frieeend

Eh, Why the hell not.

hitmon

I'd like to enter and thanks!

LuuKyK

Quoted~

tylerf

Might as well.

dot

hai :3

Nelo Ice

Banned

Awesome thx for the contest.

graywolf323

I <3 you

quotes!

Card Boy

Banned

Quote.

LOL

Fireblend

Banned

Quote!

Quoted

Entered. Let's see if I win this time around :p

Top Bottom