• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassins Creed pack for £28.94, what do you guys think? How bad is the ubisoft DRM, I sort of don't want to have more launchers that individually update but this seems like a pretty good deal.

It is hard to judge as people have different levels of tolerance for this kind of stuff, but it's mildly annoying for me. Essentially when you launch the game from Steam the Ubisoft Uplay launcher will come up and that is where you select your graphics settings etc. Once you've done that you can click play. It basically adds an extra click in order to play your game.

I would personally buy the pack, even though most people despise the first game, I'm able to overlook its shortcomings because I'm a massive history buff and the setting is awesome. The games only get better from there though, with ACII and ACIIB amazing games. I haven't properly played Revelations yet.

Hope that helps.

TGMIII

It is hard to judge as people have different levels of tolerance for this kind of stuff, but it's mildly annoying for me. Essentially when you launch the game from Steam the Ubisoft Uplay launcher will come up and that is where you select your graphics settings etc. Once you've done that you can click play. It basically adds an extra click in order to play your game.

I would personally buy the pack, even though most people despise the first game, I'm able to overlook its shortcomings because I'm a massive history buff and the setting is awesome. The games only get better from there though, with ACII and ACIIB amazing games. I haven't properly played Revelations yet.

Hope that helps.

So it will install Uplay along with the game meaning it'll be running extra services on my system?. Can't say I like the sound of that, getting tired of so many different games having different launchers and services to run in the background. Thanks for the impressions though.

Enco

I'm actually not complaining too much about it, TBH. I just started playing and it is definitely feels like it is worth the price of admission at full price. But still, I'm sure you can relate to that feeling of purchasing something and then seeing it go on sale the next day? :p

Well in any case there will be plenty of other sales to make up for this one. I was going to spend 4 dollars on a iced cappuccino at the coffee shop down the street. But I will hold off on that and purchase Alice instead. I think.
Yea I know the feel haha. Most games are worth a lot more than their sale price so I wouldn't regret buying anything. May be annoying a bit but really you should get your money's worth.

After I buy AW and Metro, half my optimistic budget is gone. I can stretch and will probably have to.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Nope. Interested why you may think so.

"Hoping" that a game goes less than $3.74 or whatever it is right now just sounds so weird. Like you're intentionally poking fun at the cheapasses of the gaming community.

Spazznid

So it will install Uplay along with the game meaning it'll be running extra services on my system?. Can't say I like the sound of that, getting tired of so many different games having different launchers and services to run in the background. Thanks for the impressions though.

'Uplay' runs when you click the game, and I can say that after I played the game and exited the game, 'Uplay' is no longer running. Also, you unlock achievements through 'Uplay' and while I don't really care about that, those achievements are worth points which you can spend on dlc and crap, so meh...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
150 minimum ping in Tribes it seems :/ Brazil region (closest to home)

Amazingly I was still doing kinda good, and it made me nostalgic hard. Love Tribes, but yeah that latency still bums me out. No custom dedicated servers also..

You guys think I should pick up that starter pack?

Yeah poor latency in my nearest region too. I was gonna get the starter pack but opted not to due to poor ping.

Milamber

"Hoping" that a game goes less than $3.74 or whatever it is right now just sounds so weird. Like you're intentionally poking fun at the cheapasses of the gaming community.
Nah, it's only Day 2 of the Summer Sale & I had $101 set aside for it. I'm only 2 days in & I'm down to $74.33 from all the Daily, Flash & Community sales. Considerably much higher than the last 2 summer & winter sales. I'm trying to maximize my spending by only going for the Daily, Flash & Community sales. Hence my previous inquiry, no matter how embarrassing it my be.

I wouldn't let that turn you off otherwise fantastic games.

Spazznid sums it up nicely.
"'Uplay' runs when you click the game, and I can say that after I played the game and exited the game, 'Uplay' is no longer running. Also, you unlock achievements through 'Uplay' and while I don't really care about that, those achievements are worth points which you can spend on dlc and crap, so meh..."

It's up to you though ;)

Risgroo

Damn, dat Alan Wake pack! It was the game I wanted the most from the sale, and if Metro wins the vote I won't have many games left on my wishlist.

Milamber

When you install the games are you forced to install the Ubisoft Uplay software? Gameplay wise I know what to expect I just don't trust ubisofts DRM without hearing about it first.
Uplay is not all bad, the Uplay points earned can go to unlocking a bigger knife belt in AC2, for example.

AlexBasch

Splinter Cell Conviction uses that same DRM Uplay thing? Sounds a tad bit annoying but if the game drops to a good price I might end up buying it, but still curious about it.

Enco

Damn, dat Alan Wake pack! It was the game I wanted the most from the sale, and if Metro wins the vote I won't have many games left on my wishlist.
Yea I'm knocking games off nicely.

New Vegas ultimate edition and then I'm happy. I'll probably get Binary Domain when it's cheap too. Hopefully there's nothing else I want after that.

If you're cool with the hardcore DRM I've heard it's pretty fun. Be forewarned it has an install limit of 3. Once you run out you have to contact Ubisoft for more installs.

Not really. When you uninstall the game I believe it increases the install limit again. I've installed and unistalled my copy more than 3 times and never had a problem.

NZNova

When I try to run Force Unleashed 2, the "preparing to launch" window just keeps popping up and disappearing very rapidly, over and over and over, and eventually it just gives up. Anyone experienced this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom