• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGII

Neo Member
- The Indie Packs, while still a great deal for someone starting, are much worse than any prior sale. They're certainly worse than the 5-for-$5 packs previously. But more to the point, the indie packs don't emphasize any one genre or type of game. They're just random games. Which might be good from Valve's perspective, because you're likely to buy the pack if you want 2 of the games--but from a consumer perspective, the previous packs would generally be either "I want 4-5 of these games" or "I don't want these games at all", which meant better value for purchases. That's because they used to pack them by genre.

This is an excellent observation. I'm very interested in Lone Survivor, but I did not want any of the other games in that first Indie Pack. Had they all been horror-related games, I may have jumped in (or, of course, I may have already owned them), but the amount of stuff I did not want convinced me to pass. Strange decision on their part.

mwahaha

C0jjg.png

Still probably will not get.

AH! And you still had the nerve to call it a fixed vote? Shame on you, good Sir. Shame!

benjipwns

Banned
Notice also that the 2K pack has like just Borderlands and Civ V none of the DLC. These games have been on sale many times, so they're probably trying to toss these away and hope you come back on the sequels/DLC/expansion now.

Revoh

Where are you? If you're overseas and your card isn't working, try going to http://store.steampowered.com/?CC=US or ?CC=EU or something like that to go to the region where your card is from.

I'm in China and have to shop from the ?CC=US link to make purchases. If I don't they always fail.

I'm from Paraguay. My PayPal account is set to USA and linked to an USA Entropay VCC.
I have no problem buying things from other places, it's just Steam that's being a little bitch.

Plan vs Zombies? WTF is this shit!
I voted SMB because, even I already had it, there were some firends that really want it, now they cant.
It would have been much better if Qube had win, but Plant vs Zombies? Come on!

Something that looks like a portal clone vs a cube of meat and a fetus vs ZOMBIEZ AND HAPPY SUNS AND PLANTS AND THAT LOOKS FUN

zomg must be rigged

Spierek

To add a contrasting point of view, I'd say this is pretty much the worst Steam sale I've ever been through.

I also think that it's the worst sale yet, but it's probably Valve just experimenting with the formula. They're trying to see if the community adapts to the concept of 8h Flash Deals and Community Choices.

- No comically awesome recent release ultra-bomba discounts. Here I'm thinking of stuff like Kane and Lynch 2 for $5 2 months after release. Alan Wake's: American Nightmare is probably the closest, and it's still just 75% off a $15 MSRP, not a $50 game dropping 90% in 2 months.

Yeah, but K&L2 was genuinely bad, and they've tried to sell it as fast as possible on the "look, look, it's a brand new game!" basis. I think that Max Payne 3 is the closest one to this concept, since it's been released like a month ago, is a very good game, and is already 50% off.

daebo

I completely agree with you. In fact, it seems like this is what we'll get from now on.

Previously, the sales were super crazy and you got a ton of games... as if Steam was really really trying to hard to become a viable platform. But now? Steam is the GO TO platform for games.

Even I'm guilty of going to Steam even though a game would have better DRM and or cheaper at places like GOG or GMG or Amazon or whatever.

They fought really hard to get into the peoples mind as the PC platform... it's kind of like the people who only buy nintendo, or only my xbox or ps3.

Now that Valve has their hooks in you, I don't think the crazy ass sales will come like they did in the past.

And on a side, really? Plants vs Zombies? Really?

Megasoum

Banned
I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't care for any of the games and are just voting for the first one to satisfy the badge requirement.

I also think that GAF is not necessarly representative of the whole market. Sure we are pretty much all hardcore gamers and know which "unknown" games are better than other but the casual guys who gets emails updates and open steam to see a vote will vote for something he/she heard about before. The last vote for example, I voted for Qube cause it's the game I'm the most interested in but it's obvious that the majority would vote for PvZ since it's a super mainstream game that everybody know. Same with Super Meat Boy but to a lesser extent.

Bummer. PvZ is on every platform under the sun and it's had this discount on all of them. Meat Boy is on multiple platforms and has hit that pricepoint several times before. QUBE is a 2012 release that's never been anywhere near as cheap as 3.75 before.

This. I voted Qube even if I wsan't sure I'll end buying it.

Bentendo

Notice also that the 2K pack has like just Borderlands and Civ V none of the DLC. These games have been on sale many times, so they're probably trying to toss these away and hope you come back on the sequels/DLC/expansion now.

Actually.... that's probably exactly what's happening.

Apdiddy

To add a contrasting point of view, I'd say this is pretty much the worst Steam sale I've ever been through. Not because of what's put on sale--obviously how much or how little I personally buy has nothing to do with if it's a good sale. I already have a ton of games, and so it's natural that many deals will be on stuff I already have.--but because of the characteristics of the sale. I want to say first that I love the flash and community voted deals, I have no objections to either.

- Essentially nothing has been on sale above 75%--the best Steam sales involve discounts above 75%. Sometimes that involves an indie game (PB Winterbottom for $0.50, CivCity Rome for $0.90). Sometimes it involves retail games at 80-90% off.

- The Indie Packs, while still a great deal for someone starting, are much worse than any prior sale. They're certainly worse than the 5-for-$5 packs previously. But more to the point, the indie packs don't emphasize any one genre or type of game. They're just random games. Which might be good from Valve's perspective, because you're likely to buy the pack if you want 2 of the games--but from a consumer perspective, the previous packs would generally be either "I want 4-5 of these games" or "I don't want these games at all", which meant better value for purchases. That's because they used to pack them by genre.

- No comically awesome recent release ultra-bomba discounts. Here I'm thinking of stuff like Kane and Lynch 2 for $5 2 months after release. Alan Wake's: American Nightmare is probably the closest, and it's still just 75% off a $15 MSRP, not a $50 game dropping 90% in 2 months.

Although this is my first Steam sale, I agree with the bolded. I'm hoping on the last day or so, there will be deals at 80 - 90% off (although PixelJunk Eden is the exception rather than the rule). I haven't jumped at the 'indie bundles' because I either already got those games offered or I can't see paying $10 for just one game when I'm not interested in the others.

I'm also surprised that games like Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Endless Space or Spec Ops: The Line aren't seeing drastic discounts during the sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What differentiates the GOTY version of PvZ versus the regular one?

The Michael Jackson zombie got switched out with a generic Disco zombie. They added Zombatar and Steam achievements and cloud save support. Can't remember if there's anything else. The regular version no longer exists and if you bought it, it was auto-upgraded to GOTY.

I also think that it's the worst sale yet, but it's probably Valve just experimenting with the formula. They're trying to see if the community adapts to the concept of 8h Flash Deals and Community Choices.

This paragraph sort of reminded me that I should probably mention that I'm not embittered. I really like Steam as a platform. I don't feel I'm owed anything. Valve can do what they want. And I'm sure I'll still buy lots of great games during this sale. When I say it's been their worst sale event, that's a very detached viewpoint.

Gibbo

I really don't understand how Bio Shock 2 won the community choice. The game has been sold at a huge discount for many months now no? Hell even my usual brick and motar shop has it bundled with 2 other games for 20 usd just because they can't clear off their inventory. wth people. Who exactly are making these choices :(

MasLegio

Banned
this is strange...

do not everyone own PvZ yet?

peope should be flogged for not owning it already
and people should be flogged for voting for it even though they own it

I blame Jeff Green and his band of zombies running around and spreading subliminal messages in the podcast community. There cant be any other explanation.

Something that looks like a portal clone vs a cube of meat and a fetus vs ZOMBIEZ AND HAPPY SUNS AND PLANTS AND THAT LOOKS FUN

zomg must be rigged

That sounds like an instant win to me. I have to imagine PvZ winning has a lot to do with people being familiar with it and just voting safe.

Perhaps Valve finally smartened up and listened to the sound reasoning of EA, they are trying to repent from all dat IP devaluing. Just my theory, of course.

I completely agree with you. In fact, it seems like this is what we'll get from now on.

Previously, the sales were super crazy and you got a ton of games... as if Steam was really really trying to hard to become a viable platform. But now? Steam is the GO TO platform for games.

Even I'm guilty of going to Steam even though a game would have better DRM and or cheaper at places like GOG or GMG or Amazon or whatever.

They fought really hard to get into the peoples mind as the PC platform... it's kind of like the people who only buy nintendo, or only my xbox or ps3.

Now that Valve has their hooks in you, I don't think the crazy ass sales will come like they did in the past.

And on a side, really? Plants vs Zombies? Really?

I don't think that Valve really controls the prices of the games that are on sale.

Although this is my first Steam sale, I agree with the bolded. I'm hoping on the last day or so, there will be deals at 80 - 90% off (although PixelJunk Eden is the exception rather than the rule). I haven't jumped at the 'indie bundles' because I either already got those games offered or I can't see paying $10 for just one game when I'm not interested in the others.

I'm also surprised that games like Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Endless Space or Spec Ops: The Line aren't seeing drastic discounts during the sale.

Endless Space is literally just out. Would be a kick in the teeth for it to have "drastic discounts".

PaulLFC

Just a quick heads up while there's only 20 minutes left on the deal - if you have any interest in football/soccer at all you owe it to yourself to play Football Manager 2012. It has a bit of a learning curve but is surprisingly easy to play after the first few minutes of "what does this do?", and it's beyond addictive.

It has the power to get you hooked on playing more than practically any other game I've played. I've put hundreds of hours into just this year's version, probably thousands over the course of the series. An absolute bargain at £5.

HoosTrax

The Michael Jackson zombie got switched out with a generic Disco zombie.
Nooo. I played the hell out of the game pre-Gauthier version and I still remember the awesome Michael Jackson zombie. I have played it since GOTYe update, didn't realize they get rid of him, undoubtedly due to "sensitivity" concerns.

Why the fuck is mw3 in the top sellers?

Stop being dumb people.
It's €45 here too (-25%), which is essentially the retail price of game that's just released, and the price of most company bundles. You can get it for significantly less elsewhere online.

Almost as mystifying as Qube not winning.

To add a contrasting point of view, I'd say this is pretty much the worst Steam sale I've ever been through. Not because of what's put on sale--obviously how much or how little I personally buy has nothing to do with if it's a good sale. I already have a ton of games, and so it's natural that many deals will be on stuff I already have.--but because of the characteristics of the sale. I want to say first that I love the flash and community voted deals, I have no objections to either.

- Essentially nothing has been on sale above 75%--the best Steam sales involve discounts above 75%. Sometimes that involves an indie game (PB Winterbottom for $0.50, CivCity Rome for $0.90). Sometimes it involves retail games at 80-90% off.

- Most of the discounts do not exceed what they were at Christmas. I mean, obviously 2012 stuff is new, and that's great, but for returning sales, they're comparable. And there have been, as far as I can tell, fewer MSRP drops this year than in the past, so that makes it hurt more. Some of this is because a lot of sale staples have had their MSRPs stall at $19.99, so you get the 75% off = $5 sale on everything. BioShock, Mass Effect, Portal... I'd like to see companies start lowering MSRPs for older retail games to $10 so that the corresponding discount can breach the $5 barrier.

- The lack of a sale-related metagame discourages experimental playing and buying of games. I've really loved the treasure hunt, Christmas sale, and Summer sale that had daily achievements. It encouraged me to boot up old games (finished and unfinished) and give 'em another run. Moreover, it encouraged me to take a chance and gave an opportunity to spotlight key indie games. I played a lot of stuff that I don't think I would have otherwise played. Orcs Must Die was one of the great ones, PAM was one of the terrible ones. But I don't regret it at all. It was very fun. And it's sorely missed here.

- The de-emphasis of the "plot" of the summer sale. I love the background art every sale, but this sale it's comparatively a smaller event versus the last few where they've done daily art collages including the game's daily sales. The comical text written every day used to be on the main page, now it's relegated to the Summer Sale group. I do look forward to see how the dudes do with building their treehouse.

- Overall presentation of the main page is pretty static. I've loved the catalogue style presentations in the past. Really rich, great web applications. I assume it's partially related to Valve as a company being busy right now, and partially related to just them not wanting the servers to take quite as badly.

- To me, at least, the full-company packs represent the magnum opus of value for a new customer. But it feels like the price of them has slowly crept up a little bit, and many publishers have stopped doing complete packs, instead emphasizing selections.

- It feels like fewer non-featured games have steep sales. A lot more 33%, 40%, and 50% and a lot less 66%, 75%, 80% on random games in the catalogue that never ever had a hope of being featured. Maybe this suggests that the summer sales suck oxygen away from most games and towards those who are being featured. I had hoped that all games would have seen huge revenue+sales spikes to continue justifying deep discounts on random stuff. Many games that took part in the Christmas sale aren't even on sale now. Consider Westward IV--this is a totally random game that basically no one here would have played. It's not ever going to be featured. It's a basically non-violent RTS with persistent characters across maps and a western theme. It's family-friendly. Fun little game. But anyway, it's not on sale. And it was during the last Christmas sale. And it was during the last summer sale.

- (Not Valve's fault) Other companies like Amazon went earlier and offered mostly the same deals on Steamworks products.

I'm not saying this is not a good sale. All Steam sales are good sales. You can get tons of games and spend way less than $100. You can build a library very quickly. If this is your first sale, you'll be very very happy with it. I'm just saying that this is the weakest sale for me for all of these reasons. I feel confident posting this when we're still on day 2 because most of these problems are self-evidently going to be with the whole sale. Some of them might be fixed if the subsequent daily deals are stronger.

Im with Stump here, apart from me not liking the vote system.
I hate the most of all that theres not really a cohesive story with the steam mascots, I loved the old drawings were they meet different characters from the games that were on sale, and the stories were awesome. Now, a static images and no metagame.
I suppose the voting system is a test for the upcoming greenlight, and seeing some of the last choices, and being one of the people that wanted to put our new game ther, im really afraid now.

benjipwns

Banned
This paragraph sort of reminded me that I should probably mention that I'm not embittered. I really like Steam as a platform. I don't feel I'm owed anything. Valve can do what they want. And I'm sure I'll still buy lots of great games during this sale. When I say it's been their worst sale event, that's a very detached viewpoint.
My joint criticism in reply is also the same way, we've been around though. The first sale was a huge surprise, and then they became events that literally encompassed games you already owned.

Just looking at the thread, it's still these things for newcomers. We've just piled up on most of the games we want and can analyze all the various differences that make this one not quite the excitement it once was to get BioShock for $10 WOW! OMG LUV U VALVE!

That sounds like an instant win to me. I have to imagine PvZ winning has a lot to do with people being familiar with it and just voting safe.

Qube is really good. I bought it at launch and really enjoyed it. But I can certainly see why it might not win a vote.

Thinking the community deals being rigged is a really dumb thing to think at this point.

Really wanted Qube. I don't like that they put big name game vs more underground titles. They should put popular against popular, and unknown against unknown.

Tomodachi

At this point I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people simply vote for the game they know at least by name so they can try it out. Remember that people with 50+ games on Steam are the minority, while people with 200+ are the rule only considering those who post actively around here or in the steam forums, or anyway they're bound to be the minority, it's simple statistics.

And there's really nothing wrong with this I guess, it's really no use complaining because the game we wanted to buy didn't win.

oipic

Bah, after thinking my wallet was going to escape unscathed today, I caved and picked up the Alan Wake bundle. I never got around to playing it on 360. In Steam-GAF I trust.

(for that it's worth, I picked up Grimrock and Trine 2 yesterday)

Must say, these flash sales are messing with my usual sale routine:

1) squeal excitedly at a day's new sales
2) add long-coveted titles to cart
3) become swamped with pre-purchase self-doubt
4) peruse lengthy backlog
5) read/revisit reviews/ratings to convince myself need said game(s)
6) review budgetary circumstances
7) elect to eat cheaply (or not at all)
8) whack F5 repeatedly on this thread, seeking validation
9) sleep on it
10) scroll (and scroll) through backlog
11) catch up on all posts in this thread, hunt for Salsa's verdict on said game(s)
12) weakly justify decision however necessary
13) sheepishly complete purchase

This process is finely-honed, and typically takes at least 23 hours. Damn you, Gabe - you're a clever man.

So, ~15 minutes until a couple of new flash sales...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think that Valve really controls the prices of the games that are on sale.

They do and they don't. Obviously a hostile, non-cooperative publisher is not going to discount stuff to the extreme.

But Valve works with publishers, Valve ties discounts to promotions like those achievement hunts, Valve selects the daily deals (which might be an increased emphasis to offer a higher discount on products). Valve supplies statistics and makes any business case that the sale is good or necessary. Valve decides the timings. And, although this is a weapon they've never used, Valve is able to cede their portion of the sale to incentivize publishers to give a steeper discount than they otherwise might at no cost to them.

Valve is also aware of other competing outlets, and can apply pressure to match or beat their sales. As it relates to indie bundles, I'm 100% sure that if Valve reached out to the indie community or to the runners of any recurring indie bundle to work specifically with them, they'd be overjoyed.

So, yeah, it's not all Valve's fault, but it's not like they just send out an email that says "lol sale soon set ur prices" and then sit back. They're an engaged participant in the process.

JonCha

We're only a couple of days in, though, so there's every chance we'll see amazing deals at the end of next week.

Razek

Banned
The Michael Jackson zombie got switched out with a generic Disco zombie. They added Zombatar and Steam achievements and cloud save support. Can't remember if there's anything else. The regular version no longer exists and if you bought it, it was auto-upgraded to GOTY.

Thanks!

The game still hasn't changed to 75% for me. I'm assuming I have to wait a while before it changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom