• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Also disappointed with The Binding Of Isaac. Do you really have to start over each time you die? The game seems pretty mediocre over all, and after I died and had to restart, I quit.
Kind of completely missing the point there. It's a randomly generated Roguelike with a ton of random content/modifiers. So each time you die and restart you get a (very) different experience.

Needless to say, I'm anything but disappointed in The Binding of Isaac. I put in over 15 hours in 3 days.

Celegus

I was the opposite. I hated how completely empty Fallout 3 felt and didn't think there was enough to do... and the storyline was boring from the start. I'm not saying New Vegas' story was great, or even good, but it provided a lot more forward momentum. I ended up really, really enjoying the game while I couldn't stand Fallout 3.

So yeah, it's weird how the NV vs. 3 thing works.

It is really hard to put into words. Despite them being nearly identical, I absolutely loved Fallout 3 but didn't care for NV. I think it was mostly because NV locks you into a lot of your choices where you really have to decide on permanent decisions that you can't take back. I like being the do-it-all, master-of-everything in open world games, instead of playing through again to see all the different outcomes.

My only damage so far is:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare
The Walking Dead

I'm somewhat surprised with myself. I was tempted by Dead Island but in the end I never bothered. I'm still tempted by New Vegas despite never really getting into 3, though honestly I don't think I will. Tempted by Red Faction Guerrilla as well but we'll see how that goes; it's got a while yet.

I'm actually hoping for there to be a "OMFG! DO WANT!" game in the daily deals in 20 minutes, as I've really yet to have one of those this sale.

Darklord

Banned

DangerStepp

2012-07-16-summer-spendings.png

http://www.hejibits.com/comics/summer-spendings/
This got a solid chuckle outta me.

Thanks!

Your gaf account? :)
:lol :lol :lol

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Re: New Vegas DLC

Quick search of the thread tells me I should just grab everything but Courier's Stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal since those are just items while the others add more content. True?

Already own Dead Money and Honest Hearts, so I'd just be buying Lonesome Road and Old World Blues.

Wiz

It's almost an impossible question to answer, simply due to the game being so polarising. So much of its impact on you depends on your own tastes, coupled with a healthy dose of how lucky you are in-game with regards to finding the right group of players to hang out with. Might be worth contacting FFXI-GAF (or making/bumping a FFXI thread) and seeing how active their community is currently -- also be sure to ask them what their *realistic* opinion is for how much they'd be able to help out a complete new-starter.

All that said, the game is expecting another major expansion soon, bringing new jobs and a new continent. There will, with certainty, be a big increase in players when that happens -- though the majority of them will be old players coming back to eat up the new storylines. And the storylines can be worth it -- the best FFXI storylines are easily up there with any of the offline FFs. The first few expansion 'campaigns' have fantastic stories too, but they can be tricky to get groups for. To experience them, you'll need luck and time on your side (specifically referring to that fickle beauty, Chains Of Promathia).

If you've money and time to burn, it's arguably worth seeing if the game (in its current state) clicks with you. I don't like what it became, sadly (the streamlining of content / leveling curve effectively turned a lengthy yet engaging grind into a fast but mind-numbing one. Many, many people still love it though. It's a game that's about end-content now, which I suppose is understandable for a still-popular 10 year old MMO.

Okay thanks. I know for a fact that I wont have a lot of time to play, so that may be a factor in whether I play seriously. Right now though, I just wanted to see what all the fuss is all about. I haven't really payed this game any mind ever since it was released, simply because it was an MMO. That's changed though, so I'll probably wait until after the expansion is out to gauge how I feel about playing it.

Amneisac

I feel crazy that my friends and I seem to be the only people having problems with Borderlands on PC. We're all getting the runtime 6025 error (c++) and CTD and we've followed about 25 different sets of instructions on fixing it but no dice. All I see everywhere is people enjoying it, though! Good for them, but puzzling for us.

see5harp

The only thing that truly sucks about Isaac is that it uses flash. If the game had a proper release with gamepad support it would probably be one of my favorite games of the year.

Enco

I feel crazy that my friends and I seem to be the only people having problems with Borderlands on PC. We're all getting the runtime 6025 error (c++) and CTD and we've followed about 25 different sets of instructions on fixing it but no dice. All I see everywhere is people enjoying it, though! Good for them, but puzzling for us.
I had constant crashes until I right clicked on the .exe and set it to run as admin.

chiablo

Dammit... I'm starting to resent my Gmail notification popping up with the "Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam" dialog. It makes me feel guilty about the cheap games I'm buying and will probably never play because my backlog goes all the way back to last year's summer sale.

Got:
From Dust
Clash of Heroes
Lara Craft & the Guardian of Light
Batman Arkham City + Harley DLC
Walking Dead
Tropico 4 collection
:Around $56

Hoping for $5 Mirror's Edge.

Persona7

Banned
The only thing that truly sucks about Isaac is that it uses flash. If the game had a proper release with gamepad support it would probably be one of my favorite games of the year.

It is poorly programmed as well.

GTA 4 plays perfectly without any issues. Binding of Isaac slows down to a crawl anytime more than 4 enemies are on screen.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I'm having a lot of fun with Terraria, although to be fair I've only been playing online with friends. I actually enjoy it a lot more than Minecraft. As for Isaac yeah it's a Roguelike, that's how they work.

I would stick with Terraria. It's not as "open" as Minecraft as far as what you can build, etc. but it actually has objectives and places to find / explore. Also it's way, way more fun with other people.

Do either of you have a server I could hop on?

Kaladin

Damage so far:

Cities XL 2012 = $9.99
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition = $15.99
Saints Row: The Third Franchise Pack = $24.99
Dead Island Complete = $16.99
The Walking Dead = $14.99
Eschalon: Book I = $2.49
Eschalon: Book II = $3.74
Total = $89.18

The only thing I'm really waiting on now is Max Payne 3 to come back up, but I'm sure some deal will catch my eye.

I need opinions about Dear Esther. Is it worth 5 bucks??

Unfortunately, I'm going to say no.

I really really wanted to like it. I originally bought it because Johnathan Blow said something about it having one of the best narratives in a game in an interview. I really like Jonathan Blow and I love Braid. And he may not be wrong. Dear Ester does have a good narrative. But, that's all it is. You literally just walk and listen to a narration at hot spots. That's it. There is no interaction at all. And the narration, while interesting, plays its cards too close to its chest. You don't really know what is going on till close to the end and by that time you have forgotten alot of the (fairly dense) dialog. So you have to play through it a second time just to really get it. Which really sucks because "playing the game" is very boring.

It would have been far better as a short story or short film in my opinion. The long periods of walking absolutely kill the pace of the narration. It's like watching a film where you have to watch the characters travel from place to place in real time before plot developments occur.

You would actually do far better just to read a transcript of the narration, which would take you all of 5 minutes whereas the game stretches it out to about an hour and a half.

Avoid. It's the bad example of "games as art." There are many good ones.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you are using Windows Vista or 7, I'd suggest you to try and disable UAC. Max Payne 3 was giving me a C++ Runtime error too until I disabled it.

chiablo

It is poorly programmed as well.

GTA 4 plays perfectly without any issues. Binding of Isaac slows down to a crawl anytime more than 4 enemies are on screen.

Binding of Isaac was $5 when it first came out because it was made in flash. Had Edmund McMillen hired a team of developers to create a game engine, then it would have full gamepad support, no slowdown, cost $20, and nobody would buy it at that price.

Sorta the same way a helicopter and a bicycle both get you from one place to another, a little different but that's about it.

I hated NV on 360. I'm guessing that I'll love it on PC.

Anyone have any mod suggestions for NV? I do t want anything that changes base game too drastically, but maybe adds some "enhancements" graphically or even slightly better gameplay mechanics. Any suggestions?

chiablo

Would like to know this as well. Would like to pick it up if it's worth it.

If you have a 3DTV or monitor, then it's worth $5. I played it in 3D, and it's hands-down one of the best looking environments I've ever seen in a game.

Regardless of how much it is, be warned that it is not a game.

TheD

The Detective
Just a warning to anyone thinking of buying Alice Madness Returns (if it gets in a daily).

Not only is it capped for no reason at 31 FPS by default (it is a simple damn ini setting you lazy devs!) but if you start the game up from a 16:10 desktop the game will add black bars past the area that makes it 16:9 and thus squashes the image and gives you scaling artifacts (like the Witcher 1 cutscenes), what is worse is that even after changing to a 16:9 res in game it will still do it!
The only way to get it to stop is by running your desktop at 16:9 and having a 16:9 res in game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom