• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is poorly programmed as well.

GTA 4 plays perfectly without any issues. Binding of Isaac slows down to a crawl anytime more than 4 enemies are on screen.

Try playing the game in full screen. I think it runs on an older version of flash that only supported hardware acceleration in full screen mode.

Mmmhh so it's like the movie "Gerry", thanks for the opinion.

Actually yeah. But the funny thing is, I didn't mind Gerry (though it's far from my favorite of Gus Van Saint's films). Maybe because I didn't actually have to walk the characters around. I could just watch them. By the end of my time with the Witness, I actually talking to my computer monitor saying "come on... end...." It has been a very long time since I wanted to just be finished with an experience.

My first Steam sale, damage so far:

Tombr Raider Anniversary
Left4Dead 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Around 11,50€....pretty fair to me.

Looking for Mirror's Edge and Binary Domain if it hits the 5$ wall.

ag-my001

the only thing i really want is 75% of ARMA2. never going to happen right?

I'm thinking 33% max. The only reason Skyrim went to 50% was to bring in a fresh audience just before the DLC expansions hit. Since everyone is buying Arma II for a mod that brings the publisher no extra money, the price will stay high.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, how much will Beyond Good and Evil cost if it wins? I really want to play the game!

Mr. F

Banned
Unfortunately, I'm going to say no.

I really really wanted to like it. I originally bought it because Johnathan Blow said something about it having one of the best narratives in a game in an interview. I really like Jonathan Blow and I love Braid. And he may not be wrong. Dear Ester does have a good narrative. But, that's all it is. You literally just walk and listen to a narration at hot spots. That's it. There is no interaction at all. And the narration, while interesting, plays its cards too close to its chest. You don't really know what is going on till close to the end and by that time you have forgotten alot of the (fairly dense) dialog. So you have to play through it a second time just to really get it. Which really sucks because "playing the game" is very boring.

It would have been far better as a short story or short film in my opinion. The long periods of walking absolutely kill the pace of the narration. It's like watching a film where you have to watch the characters travel from place to place in real time before plot developments occur.

You would actually do far better just to read a transcript of the narration, which would take you all of 5 minutes whereas the game stretches it out to about an hour and a half.

Avoid. It's the bad example of "games as art." There are many good ones.

Hm...do you think your impression may have changed if you had known from the get-go that it would pretty much be a narrative that you navigate? Or would you have not bothered in the first place in that case?

Just wondering because I've heard these things said about the 'game' but it still looks kind of compelling. Can't decide whether it's a benefit knowing what I'd be getting into or a boon because that's all it is.

I've gotten a real good haul so far:

Trine 2
Alan Wake franchise
Fallout: New Vegas Ult. Ed.
Fallout 3 GOTY Ed.
Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row Season Pass

$46.19...damn. I can probably take it easy now.

Hm...do you think your impression may have changed if you had known from the get-go that it would pretty much be a narrative that you navigate? Or would you have not bothered in the first place in that case?

Just wondering because I've heard these things said about the 'game' but it still looks kind of compelling. Can't decide whether it's a benefit knowing what I'd be getting into or a boon because that's all it is.

No, I kind of new that what it was. I think until I was spending 5 minutes just holding forward while literally nothing was happening (not even narration), I didn't realize how much I would dislike it.

HoosTrax

I wonder if there's a chance of Crysis Maximum being a sale at some point. At least Dead Space showed that Valve hasn't outright banned EA from the event.

Er, Crysis 2 Maximum that is.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm thinking 33% max. The only reason Skyrim went to 50% was to bring in a fresh audience just before the DLC expansions hit. Since everyone is buying Arma II for a mod that brings the publisher no extra money, the price will stay high.

I think 33% off is the max as well that it will go off, though I'm pretty sure DayZ is making the developers plenty of money judging that it's almost constantly on the top sellers every single day.

Today's daily is all the games you either have or won't play but buy just to add to your backlog.

Also you can use this premonition for any other day.

Fireblend

Banned
Here's my prediction for next dailies, right before they arrive:

Dustforce
Rayman Origins
Indie Bundle V
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Some Need for Speed

...this is too hard. Good luck, everyone!

Celegus

I feel crazy that my friends and I seem to be the only people having problems with Borderlands on PC. We're all getting the runtime 6025 error (c++) and CTD and we've followed about 25 different sets of instructions on fixing it but no dice. All I see everywhere is people enjoying it, though! Good for them, but puzzling for us.

My solution after trying just about everything was to upgrade from Windows XP to 7. Not exactly the easiest fix, but it worked for me. I have no idea what the conflict was, especially since mine and my wife's computers are identical hardware-wise, and hers worked fine on XP.

Enco

ihZQFdJj3iMYZ.png

1-D_FTW

Dear Esther purchased.

I fully expect Dust Force to have one of these days too (since it's also a game that had no discount prior to the daily).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think I just saw the Flash Sales of the future for a second. I refreshed and it fixed itself, but FEAR 3 and Fable 3 were both 75% off.

Just a warning to anyone thinking of buying Alice Madness Returns (if it gets in a daily).

Not only is it capped for no reason at 31 FPS by default (it is a simple damn ini setting you lazy devs!) but if you start the game up from a 16:10 desktop the game will add black bars past the area that makes it 16:9 and thus squashes the image and gives you scaling artifacts (like the Witcher 1 cutscenes), what is worse is that even after changing to a 16:9 res in game it will still do it!
The only way to get it to stop is by running your desktop at 16:9 and having a 16:9 res in game!
The frame rate is easy to fix, just need to modify an unreal engine file with a text editor. So no problems there, BUY THE GAME EVERYBODY!

My first Steam sale, damage so far:

Tombr Raider Anniversary
Left4Dead 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Around 11,50€....pretty fair to me.

Looking for Mirror's Edge and Binary Domain if it hits the 5$ wall.

I highly doubt BD will hit $5. It was $10 on Amazon and well worth that. Even $15 to $20 would be a great deal this soon after release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom