• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancehead

So the New Vegas DLC, the new worlds aren't part of the main game (ie can't travel to or directly from them) and you can only visit them once? Seems pretty lame.

Only Dead Money is one time trip. Other DLC locations, you can go back. All the locations can be reached from the main map.

Darklord

Banned
Is New Vegas a game that still holds up? I mean, I know it's only a few years old but after open world games like Skyrim, is it still worth it? I thought Fallout 3 was pretty good but not amazing.

I hope to see the Steam platform used in the next US Presidential Elections, guaranteed record-breaking turnouts.

Forget that, I'm just waiting for the GAF thread that'll tell me who the indie kids are voting for and then have others come in and say how overrated that candidate is and how they're really hoping for Ron Paul to come in at -75% off. Then someone can say that all the candidates are better on iOS anyways so we're all doomed.

filipe

Is New Vegas a game that still holds up? I mean, I know it's only a few years old but after open world games like Skyrim, is it still worth it? I thought Fallout 3 was pretty good but not amazing.

Great game and holds up very well. Like Skyrim and Fallout 3, it's infinitely better because of the mod community.

I haven't finished it, but I put a ton of time into it. Pretty great game from what I played.

HBroward

I'm pretty sure you can have EA add Mirror's Edge to Origin with the key you get, and then get the DLC for that version if you really really want to play it.

Yes, it has really amazing writing, cool locations, amazing characters and a great storyline. Everything Skyrim hasn't ;)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The writing is timeless and isn't something that will be replaced by the genre's game of the moment.

Lancehead

Levelling system, writing, area design were great and are still great. Shooting was never great to begin with. Physical world building was good but not great, so there's that.

Yeah, I felt like playing Fallout 3 again but this could really scratch that itch. And $12 for everything? Sold!

New Vegas vs. Fallout 3 is a pretty polarizing debate despite every single mechanic of each being virtually the same. NV does something a little different with the story path and the atmosphere of each are somewhat different, but that's about it. I liked Fallout 3 much, much better.

Its a very good little game - think of a more linear version of old 90s FPS games (you might like them more than recent FPSs)

Yeah I mean I do like them I just get burnt out on them quick but the few videos I watched made it seem pretty fun. Just a matter of wether my PC can run it ok.

I assume its level desgined and not just waves of enemys or something right?
Also Krater seems abit diffrent but its only 25% off at the moment.

MRORANGE

so what should I get rid of? :

gbaHY.png

Darklord

Banned
New Vegas bought. How much is Dead Space 2 in the US? It's $34. That's only a bit cheaper than origins which isn't even on special! I was hoping for like $15 or something.

Sora_N

Ah dangit, I didn't realize I missed Ys Origin sale already after looking at the list of expired sales. Any chance it'll go on sale again before the sale ends?

:[

Ys Origin 60% off (expired day 3 1400)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
New Vegas vs. Fallout 3 is a pretty polarizing debate despite every single mechanic of each being virtually the same. NV does something a little different with the story path and the atmosphere of each are somewhat different, but that's about it. I liked Fallout 3 much, much better.

I was the opposite. I hated how completely empty Fallout 3 felt and didn't think there was enough to do... and the storyline was boring from the start. I'm not saying New Vegas' story was great, or even good, but it provided a lot more forward momentum. I ended up really, really enjoying the game while I couldn't stand Fallout 3.

So yeah, it's weird how the NV vs. 3 thing works.

Kaladin

If you like old skool WRPGs:

Eschalon Book I was amazing. I loved every single minute of it.

Eschalon Book II I couldn't get into because of the punishing item damage and food/water systems. You can turn those off but then it felt like I was cheating.

Bought both of them....sounds like a good time.

oneils

Don't buy, Fallout 3 + NV are train wrecks. Not worth your time.

I didn't think so. I put almost 75 hours into vanilla Fallout 3. For 5 bucks, it is definitely worth a shot.

If anyone is thinking of it, watch some reviews or playthroughs on Youtube to see if you will like it.

Mr. F

Banned
Damage so far;

- Hitman: Blood Money
- Frozen Synapse
- Magicka (thanks Hawk269)
- Fallout 3 Game of the Year
- Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate

Total: $22.46

Pretty happy, can't think of anything else I really want at this point (although I'm sure the daily deals will prove me wrong).

Sorta the same way a helicopter and a bicycle both get you from one place to another, a little different but that's about it.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
pickup list so far:
Ys Origin
The Binding Of Isaac Soundtrack
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
The Binding Of Isaac
Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day Two
Trine Bundle (Summer 2012)
Terraria 4-Pack
PixelJunk Eden

Super disapointed with Terraria, it really is a crappy version of minecraft. Also disappointed with The Binding Of Isaac. Do you really have to start over each time you die? The game seems pretty mediocre over all, and after I died and had to restart, I quit.

I have yet to try Ys and Eden, looking forward to them.

Trine is great. It can be frustrating at times when the mechanics do not seem to work properly.

Oil Rush and Splice are gems. The only problem with Oil Rush is the missions take way too long, and I am playing on normal :\

Scoops

Banned
Damage so far;

- Hitman: Blood Money
- Frozen Synapse
- Magicka (thanks Hawk269)
- Fallout 3 Game of the Year
- Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate

Total: $22.46

Pretty happy, can't think of anything else I really want at this point (although I'm sure the daily deals will prove me wrong).

Steam will do that for you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So far

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
Fallout 3 GOTY
Bastion
Batman AC and everything except Harley's Revenge
L4D2
Witcher 2 (unlocked upon purchase of a new computer!!!111.....)
Darksiders
BTTF
Terraria

$71.05

Noaloha

Is Final Fantasy XI worth it 10 years later? It's the only FF game I haven't played and I kinda want to try it just to try it.

It's almost an impossible question to answer, simply due to the game being so polarising. So much of its impact on you depends on your own tastes, coupled with a healthy dose of how lucky you are in-game with regards to finding the right group of players to hang out with. Might be worth contacting FFXI-GAF (or making/bumping a FFXI thread) and seeing how active their community is currently -- also be sure to ask them what their *realistic* opinion is for how much they'd be able to help out a complete new-starter.

All that said, the game is expecting another major expansion soon, bringing new jobs and a new continent. There will, with certainty, be a big increase in players when that happens -- though the majority of them will be old players coming back to eat up the new storylines. And the storylines can be worth it -- the best FFXI storylines are easily up there with any of the offline FFs. The first few expansion 'campaigns' have fantastic stories too, but they can be tricky to get groups for. To experience them, you'll need luck and time on your side (specifically referring to that fickle beauty, Chains Of Promathia).

If you've money and time to burn, it's arguably worth seeing if the game (in its current state) clicks with you. I don't like what it became, sadly (the streamlining of content / leveling curve effectively turned a lengthy yet engaging grind into a fast but mind-numbing one. Many, many people still love it though. It's a game that's about end-content now, which I suppose is understandable for a still-popular 10 year old MMO.

Mr. F

Banned
pickup list so far:
Ys Origin
The Binding Of Isaac
Terraria 4-Pack
PixelJunk Eden

Super disapointed with Terraria, it really is a crappy version of minecraft. Also disappointed with The Binding Of Isaac. Do you really have to start over each time you die? The game seems pretty mediocre over all, and after I died and had to restart, I quit.

Trine is great. It can be frustrating at times when the mechanics do not seem to work properly.

Oil Rush and Splice are gems. The only problem with Oil Rush is the missions take way too long, and I am playing on normal :\

I'm having a lot of fun with Terraria, although to be fair I've only been playing online with friends. I actually enjoy it a lot more than Minecraft. As for Isaac yeah it's a Roguelike, that's how they work.

naku

I'm still waiting for Deus Ex: HR super sale, because on the first day when it was on daily sale, I was far away from the nearest Internet connection area.

Amneisac

pickup list so far:
Ys Origin
The Binding Of Isaac
Terraria 4-Pack
PixelJunk Eden

I would stick with Terraria. It's not as "open" as Minecraft as far as what you can build, etc. but it actually has objectives and places to find / explore. Also it's way, way more fun with other people.

Lancehead

The game's a roguelike.

Roto13

So far I've bought Audiosurf, Terraria, NightSky, Saira, The Polynomia, Toki Tori, and the Beat Hazard DLC. I also bought a Microsoft Flight plane for my husband during the flash sale last night. Actually, I'm kind of kicking myself for buying the Alaska DLC for Microsoft Flight at full price a week or two ago.

All of the games I've bought have been $2.50 or less. :p

I'm going to pick up Audiosurf and Beat Hazard for my brother if he ever gets around to make a Steam acount before the sale ends. If not, too bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom