• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

GAF, can I ask for your opinion on Metro 2033?

I really didn't care for it. I heard great things about the atmosphere and setting, but the horrible voice acting (better to just turn it to Russian) and jankiness of it pulled me out of it. I would randomly get killed and have no idea why, and the weapon system was just confusing. The weapons didn't have names or any way to tell them apart other than trying to memorize, or which ones take which type of ammo, etc. It's not like I need games to hold my hand (Demon's/Dark Souls are two of my favorite games this gen), but most of this game felt shoddy and I had to force myself to finish it. Just don't get your hopes up too high would be my best advice.

Saroyan

GAF, can I ask for your opinion on Metro 2033?

I really like the atmosphere, there are some genuine high tension, scary/exciting moments in the game, graphics are pretty too.

What I didn't like is that a lot of the enemies are bullet sponges, I didn't play on Ranger mode though, which I hear is better in that regard somehow.

Contemplating Metro 2033. Is it like STALKER?

Yes and no.

Unforgiving shooter yes
Pretty on the eyes yes
Optimized no
Open world no

I think its worth it at that price on the tech alone, the engine is janky but the visuals are mind blowing (ahh the joys of eastern European devs)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's so weird man, I've had this account for how long, 6+ years but never used it until now?! When I tried to log in for the first time in a looooooong time, YOUR username showed up - HOW COME?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY COMPUTER CORKYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

*busted*

Your pc felt neglected so I had to show her some tender love and care.

add my black ass, steamid : corkygaf

Watevaman

I really didn't care for it. I heard great things about the atmosphere and setting, but the horrible voice acting (better to just turn it to Russian) and jankiness of it pulled me out of it. I would randomly get killed and have no idea why, and the weapon system was just confusing. The weapons didn't have names or any way to tell them apart other than trying to memorize, or which ones take which type of ammo, etc. It's not like I need games to hold my hand (Demon's/Dark Souls are two of my favorite games this gen), but most of this game felt shoddy and I had to force myself to finish it. Just don't get your hopes up too high would be my best advice.

Anything other than this and you're playing it wrong.

Metro 2033 is similar to the STALKER series in that you either love it or hate it. Most people won't consider it average, they'll just be thrown into one of those groups.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
*busted*

Your pc felt neglected so I had to show her some tender love and care.

add my black ass, steamid : corkygaf
Hahaha ♥

I'll add you once I solve a couple of issues! I've contacted the support, waiting for answer atm!

nowai

A game of the quality as Rage is well worth $9.99. The only Knock I have against it is it's really easy. Not that I like hard games, but this game was exceptionally easy. I heard the ending was atrocious as well, but I'll find out for myself one day when I get around to finishing it. I bought Rage for like $24 and I don't feel ripped off in the least. Gorgeous graphics, and very nice and fleshed out universe, good vehi9cular combat as well as good gun play, it's a solid 8 out of 10 to me.

Also, that the ending is pretty much the worst pile of steaming horse ass cop out an ending could be!

Love the gameplay, setting, graphics and the game itself. Just sucks the ending is so bad.

Is there any way to tell how many times you've voted? Not sure what my progress towards the badges is, and just want to get an idea if I'm at risk of losing out on the vote 20 times badge.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Whats the verdict on Ass Creed? I played one it was terrible but the word is the franchise turned around in the last few years, that being the case whats the best one to get into again?

Anything other than this and you're playing it wrong.

Metro 2033 is similar to the STALKER series in that you either love it or hate it. Most people won't consider it average, they'll just be thrown into one of those groups.
Cool, thanks for all the replies, worth a try I think.

saxman717

Banned
Total Damage To Date: 164.56 to Steam ; 22.48 to Amazon = $187.04!!

Jesus, that's a backlog. You are allowed to laugh very loudly if you ever look at that library and go "meh, no, don't want to play any of these."

Already is happening, LOL! After buying all those, all I've been playing so far is..............Hitman 2.

Gabe is really exposing my lack of self control this year.....

On the other hand, if I had bought all those games separately before this sale, I'd probably have spent ~$400-600 vs less than $200 ---- I'll call it a "gaming investment" for the next year ......that will help me sleep more soundly and smooth it over with my wife (also a gamer, fortunately)..... :-D

Apdiddy

Nothing really for me today (although I was very close to getting Fallout 3 GOTY Edition at $5 but I already got it for a console). I keep hoping Unreal, Doom or Quake packs pop up at a greater discount in flash sale, but so far nothing.

Whats the verdict on Ass Creed? I played one it was terrible but the word is the franchise turned around in the last few years, that being the case whats the best one to get into again?

I was personally really close to buying the pack but in second consideration, I just got Ass Creed 2, not because the other ones suck, but because realistically you will only play that one before the next sale happens, at which point, brotherhood and maybe even Revelations will be $5 as well for the deluxe editions.

Paying $16 for revelations right now and then not playing it until the next sale would make me really mad.

Just get 2 and maybe Brotherhood if you think you will play them back to back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't forget about Pixeljunk Eden everyone, it's an amazing, addicting, frustratingly hard, rewarding game with glorious 1080p graphics and one of the best OSTs of all time, and it's only 1.80 euro!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

AC2 is a brilliant sequel. I liked some of the ideas of what AC1 wanted to be and thought there was a lot of potential wrapped up in terribly flawed and botched execution, resulting ultimately in a pretty mediocre and repetitive game, but AC2 improves on it drastically in basically every way, and gameplay-wise Brotherhood refines things even further.

If there was ANYTHING you liked about the first Assassin's Creed at all, I would say you should give the rest of the franchise a shot (or at least AC2).

I have Rage in my cart, about to buy it, but damn I really dont know if I will get to it before Christmas, it will be cheaper around the holiday sales, wont it?

khU5p.png

Been trying to use this tab as a way to find perhaps overlooked titles that can be had for a steal, but it's disappointing me lately. Really, why is Dear Esther up there twice? Seeing AAA games in this space is also unhelpful. Didn't we have a 'recommendations for under $10/$5' listing for last year's sale? Where is this year's 'best of the cheap' list?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal with the Dragon War Battle Pack DLC for Total War: SHOGUN 2? In the description it says -

The Dragon War Battle Pack consists of six consecutively-played legendary battles from the Boshin War, depicting the campaign of Saigo Takamori. Previously only available in the “Fall of the Samurai” expansion, they can now be accessed in the original Total War: SHOGUN 2. Do not purchase if you already own "Fall of the Samurai".

I guess it's like they took a chunk out of Fall of the Samurai and made it available to those who just own base SHOGUN 2?

Only two DLCs I don't own for SHOGUN 2 are that and Rise of the Samurai, so I'm definitely picking up Rise but I'm waffling on Dragon War.

SumGamer

I have seen people mentioning that they missed sales because of work etc. I'd like to remind you that you can buy/browse everything with Steam's iOS/Android app.

Yoshichan

I have seen people mentioning that they missed sales because of work etc. I'd like to remind you that you can buy/browse everything with Steam's iOS/Android app.
This is some insane future shit going on here. I don't know if we're reaching Matrix or Star Trek with this Steam technology!

Levyne

Banned

I was browsing the store in bed last night. haha :(

Poor Windows Phone adopters and BB stalwarts. Those guys can actually get to sleep!

Katoki

Paying $16 for revelations right now and then not playing it until the next sale would make me really mad.

I bought Revelations for that $13.59 price. I went "D'oh!" because I'm probably not going to touch it for a while. It was just there so... yeah, it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom