• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadstar

Here is what I said some pages ago:

Blah blah blah...

For your info, I bought the Assassin Creed pack last summer sale and played the games back to back. Revelation was bought on release day because now I loved the franchise, it would have been better If I had waited for opinions, so im going to do that with AC3.

Thanks for this. Great information.

I'm always amazed that people actually share this opinion. Honestly I never can understand it. :p

Just playing with you of course, though I do completely disagree.

It's all in the atmosphere. Fallout 3 nails the post-apocalyptic feeling. New Vegas doesn't at all. I know Vegas' setting didn't call for it, but still.

Double

Fallout 3s atmosphere is so fuckin fantastic im considering it best game of the (console) generation for me. Even tho i finished only 1 or two of the main quests. Still played it 20 hours. Need to play more!

ATF487

I really need a job. Ys and Amnesia are 5 bucks and I'm not going to buy them because I got a ticket to Batman

at least Amnesia is on sale all the time

Brotherhood is tempting, but still slightly too much for me. I'd pick it up at $5 though - so probably Winter sale.

AC2 I've played half of on Xbox (via Gamefly a long time ago), so while it's probably worth it for $5, I can pass there as well.

And yeah, AoE III really should be cheaper. It came out in 2005.

JoeBoy101

I'm always amazed that people actually share this opinion. Honestly I never can understand it. :p

Just playing with you of course, though I do completely disagree.

I don't know about way better, but Bethesda did way better with World Building. That stuck out with me.

Obsidian beat the snot out of them with plot (though a bit unfocused at times), character choices, mechanics, etc., but I lost my mind when I started hitting invisible walls that were NOT map edges. Totally uncalled for.

For strictly a playthrough, I prefer NV, but for mods and blowing time on the map, I prefer F3.

Victrix

*beard*
For anyone buying Rage, unless you're completely terrible at fps games, play it on hard.

Also, do not save your ammunition or toys. The whole point of the combat in that game is using whatever weapon with whatever mods you enjoy. Do so with abandon.

I can't tell if people talking about Amnesia are genuinely scared by it or just carrying out some elaborate sarcastic troll. I mean I can get that a game might make you jump once or twice, I've seen some people say it's like the scariest thing they've ever seen, then other people say it was a yawnfest and a terrible game with horrible production quality.

So which is it?

And What exactly is so scary about a video game anyway? Stuff jumps out, you hear some creepy noises, yadda yadda.

Asking again since no response. Anyone able to comment on this game? I mean it seems like it could be good, but I don't know how seriously to take any of the stuff people are saying about it. Always seems like people are speaking in hyperbole or something. Also, are there puzzles or anything or is it more like an interactive movie?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I don't see the point of community or flash sales. It looks like a game can be all three, as we've seen already. Now Grimrock just needs to be a flash sale and we'll have seen it in 3 locations. Amnesia has been in two places so far too as has many other games. I thought the Steam Catalog was big enough to have different sales all the time. The last day revisiting of sales will be even more redundant since we'll already see many sales multiple times.

Oh well. Not like I have enough already, but it's really disappointing when you are dying to see something NEW show up on the flash/daily/community sales.

Here are the games I’ve picked up so far and the total damage. I didn’t split out games that were in bundles (like American Nightmare). This is just how Steam describes them in transaction history:

Fable: TLC

Cave Story +

Fallout 3: GotY

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition

Tales from Monkey Island Complete Pack

Monkey Island Special Edition Bundle

Tobe’s Vertical Adventure

Legend of Fae

Greed Corp

Vessel

The Witcher: EE

Left 4 Dead 2

Renegade Ops

Ys Origin

Orcs Must Die GOTY

Star Wars KOTOR

Sam and Max Seasons 1-3

Plants Vs Zombies

Two Worlds Epic Edition

Two Worlds II Velvet Edition

Alan Wake Bundle

Worms Reloaded

Might and Magic Clash of Heroes

Half Life Complete Collection

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Chrome + Chrome: Specforce

Max Payne Bundle

Swords and Soldiers HD w/ DLC

Binding of Isaac DLC

Trine 2

Back to the Future

Shatter

Robin Hood

Post Mortem

Scratches: Director’s Cut

Still Life Collection

Syberia 2

Mafia

The Bards Tale

Penumbra Collectors Pack

Eschalon Book 1

Eschalon Book 2

Freedom Force Pack

Arx Fatalis

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Terraria

Hard Reset Extended Edition

Total - 193.31

Asking again since no response. Anyone able to comment on this game? I mean it seems like it could be good, but I don't know how seriously to take any of the stuff people are saying about it. Always seems like people are speaking in hyperbole or something. Also, are there puzzles or anything or is it more like an interactive movie?

These people are just pussies man. Buy it and prove them wrong!

Enco

I've never been one to be scared by games or movies.

Amnesia however, is pretty freaking scary. The feeling of being chased and being helpless is intense. You have no weapons and brutal demons/things are after you. You have to run and hide if you don't want to die.

Gala

Can I expect Rage to run on my system?

Windows 7 64bit
Resolution: 1680x1050
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 5770
4GB DDR3 1033 Ram
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Deadstar

When people say it's scary and that they had to stop playing they are not being sarcastic. This is THE scariest game I have ever played. You have no weapons, oil for your lantern is limited and the atmosphere is insane. You have to play it to experience it. It's hard to convey fear on a message board. It's absolutely worth it if you are a fan of horror games. I still haven't finished it. Playing raises my pulse.

cametall

I couldn't finish it. I also didn't get very far.

I'm also a total pussy when it comes to anything scary.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I also just want to make sure that, perceived "scariness" aside, the game is actually good and isn't just an overall shitty game.

It's a good game. It's not ill perceived or overhyped.

Well, if you go in thinking it's the best thing since KY Jelly, maybe you will be disappointed. It's a decent looking, suspenseful game. I haven't been terrified yet, but i have been freaked out a bit.

How don't know how seriously to take any of the stuff people are saying about it but you are asking more random people what they want to say about it?

Just buy it and find out. Cheap as.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I bought Assassin's Creed II for $4.99. I beat the first AC and thought it was alright. Even though I heard that II was a lot better, I just never got around to it. I'm looking forward to this.

I really hope Beyond Good & Evil wins the vote. It's on my wishlist. Never got around to playing it when it came out and I've heard nothing but good things.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I don't know, so far I haven't found it the least bit scary. But it probably gets worse later, I'm still early in the game. Can't say that I understand what the "had to close it after 10 minutes" people are talking about though. I've played for more than that, and it has only been slightly unsettling so far.

Get Amnesia people. It's thoroughly creepy.

I came in to ask a few questions, is it a long game?

Seems like a game like this, I don't want it to overstay its welcome, if it's too long, I might not want it, how long is the game time , roughly?

I really hope Beyond Good & Evil wins the vote. It's on my wishlist. Never got around to playing it when it came out and I've heard nothing but good things.

Also this, so go and vote people, I need to add another game to my backlog, but can't unless it's $5 and cheaper!!

Buy $50 worth of games on Steam.

Play Dark Souls on 360 instead of any recently purchased games.

And I wonder why I have a backlog.
This is me exactly.

Bought a bunch of games and went back to play Guardian of Light instead of trying any of them out. And with Darksiders 2 on the way I've got to give the first game another solid go.

Well, at least I'll have plenty of stuff sitting around when I get bored.

Katoki

Rooting for Beyond Good & Evil as well even though I'm not remotely interested in any of these. The game is great, so I hear.

FrankT

Buy $50 worth of games on Steam.

Play Dark Souls on 360 instead of any recently purchased games.

And I wonder why I have a backlog.

Game is so good though.

Heck yea on Amnesia at $5. Instabought after trying to buy it from the iPhone app earlier at $10 and fail.

Edit: Gabe be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom