• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

What's so special about that?

(I'm not asking coy-ly)

Open world persistent character zombie survival with PVP and permadeath, and a loot element played on servers with up to like 50 people simultaneously (for the moment, that player count could go up).

bengraven

At 33% off now I'd say a 50% off or 66% off is the most likely. I can't imagine it'll go to 75% or further unless they are hoping to get more people to buy Skyrim to encourage sales of Dawnguard at roughly €20.

That's what I'm thinking. 75% off maybe NEXT summer. Not until they're done with DLC.

Card Boy

Banned
Flash sales are pretty dumb. What if i'm sleeping and Arma 2: CO goes on sale for a tenner? Should be 12hrs for the flash sales.

Smash88

Banned
If Saints Row 3 DLC is really as bad as people are saying, I'll just skip it until it's cheaper and pick up the game and DLC all together for less than or equal to $15. $25 + another DLC not included is not worth it IMO.

Oh well, at least GTA IV will tide me over as it's the superior game anyways.

Went back a few pages and couldn't find anything on this...

Anyone got any ideas what the "not available in your region" game might be? The Indie Bundle I wasn't there (and was on the US Steam), but when I refreshed Indie Bundle I was there.

9nafB.jpg

I'm in Australia.

Flash sales are pretty dumb. What if i'm sleeping at Arma 2: CO goes on sale for a tenner? Should be 12hrs for the flash sales.
It's clearly a clever way to keep you looking at the page more than once a day during the sale. The more you look at the site the more likely you are to buy stuff! Crafty buggers.

Should I buy Portal 2 or Portal 2+Portal 1? Never played a Portal game but looking forward to it.

ps: very first post ever, hello GAF

I would get both. You can burn through the first game fairly quickly, but it's pretty fun (and then you can say you understand the references).

Portal 2 is just stupidly good. I paid $40 (or something for it) and I would totally pay it again today, if I had to.

Anyone got any ideas what the "not available in your region" game might be? The Indie Bundle I wasn't there (and was on the US Steam), but when I refreshed Indie Bundle I was there.
Pretty sure it's just a glitch for the Indie Bundle image. It happens to me, too, and I'm in the US.

You are missing the Indie Bundle. I'm in Australia too and it is there, so probably just a glitch. Refresh or restart steam.

So quick 30 min impressions of Ridge Racer.

It's RR in name only. The game is like Split Second and Burnout had a baby. Drift has a dedicated button and is your primary way of building the power meter. Once powered the game will highlight things you can destroy. Activate power, or basically nitro and blow through things for stunt cams and usually a full refill of the power meter. This allows you to chain destroying targets without losing the power meter.

The burnout part? You can ram other cars (life meter is above the cars) for takedown cams and more power. You can also shockwave frag cars by destroying targets right next to them.

Took me 3 tries to get the mechanics down and get 1st place on the first race. There is a level progression system where your score in races is the xp you level with. This unlocks cars, races, and parts for the track editor that I haven't messed with yet.

Will play more in a bit after dinner.

louiedog

9nafB.jpg

I'm in Australia.

I think it's just an error on the indie pack. I've gotten it here in the US and I've seen Canadians report getting it. Refresh and you should be fine.

feel

for the last time, everybody quit fucking around and buy Grimrock.
Never heard of it, but fine! Added it to my gift inventory just in case.

edit-

I'm surprised that they made a section in the iOS app for the summer sale. Works nicely.

edit- Stalker "expansions" are dirt cheap right now. You can buy all the games for $20 right now while they're charging $30 for the bundle lol
will apply the golden rule and wait for the huge discount in the entire bundle, will buy them individually on last day if it doesn't happen

diggler41

Hello everybody! 1st Steam sale. 1st post. Picked up Portal 2 - 4.99, The Witcher Enhanced Edition - 5.99 and Terraria - 2.49. Any chance The Orange Box goes cheaper than the 9.99 it's at now or should I just pick it up for that price?

Vaporak

S.T.A.L.K.E.R players, which one should I buy if I'm new and want to get into the series?

You want to get Shadow of Chernobyl and then Call of Pripyat, no real reason to get Clear Sky imo unless you're a total stalker fanboy like me. Play Shadow of Chernobyl first and be sure to install the "Stalker Complete" mod for it so that it's less buggy. Stalker and it's standalone expansions are my favorite shooters ever, but they're certainly not for everybody, hope you enjoy.

Weenerz

Banned
Hello everybody! 1st Steam sale. 1st post. Picked up Portal 2 - 4.99, The Witcher Enhanced Edition - 5.99 and Terraria - 2.49. Any chance The Orange Box goes cheaper than the 9.99 it's at now or should I just pick it up for that price?

Wait for them to become daily deal you dingus. If they don't, but it on the last day.

Mairu

Man. I bought Rayman & Grimrock in the morning at work and clicked the button for remote download... but they're not downloaded here yet :(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
S.T.A.L.K.E.R players, which one should I buy if I'm new and want to get into the series?

Call of Pripyat is the easiest of the three to get into. The majority seems to prefer Chernobyl, but Pripyat is really the best for new players.

Ledsen

Really? Huuuuuuuuuummmmm........ this sounds mighty interesting......... almost getting it now.

I found it to be way more fun and easy to get into than EU. Since everything you're interacting with has a name and a face (as opposed to being a concept, a nation), playing it feels more intuitive and easier to imagine in your head. If you're trying to court someone who is an easily irritable hunchback with a drinking problem and a photographic memory, as opposed to a financially troubled land-locked province of France, it's easier to visualize and construct an inner narrative while you're playing.

Vaporak

Call of Pripyat is the easiest of the three to get into. The majority seems to prefer Chernobyl, but Pripyat is really the best for new players.

Wat, that's the one that literally drops you in the woods and then says "go". At least Shadow of Chernobyl starts you off in a friendly town area.

Pretty sure it's just a glitch for the Indie Bundle image. It happens to me, too, and I'm in the US.

You are missing the Indie Bundle. I'm in Australia too and it is there, so probably just a glitch. Refresh or restart steam.

I think it's just an error on the indie pack. I've gotten it here in the US and I've seen Canadians report getting it. Refresh and you should be fine.

Thanks guys. I figured it was probably a glitch too. Note that when I refreshed the Indie Bundle I reappeared. Someone else has mentioned Ridge Racer wasn't visible for them one time and a refresh brought it back.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Salsa, could you update my profile? Sorry to bother you, but I changed my profile URL to match my Steam name...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom