• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
This steam sale has change my whole outlook on life, i was at the store wanted to buy some apple juice, saw the price 3.99................I was like..........wwwoowww, i've bought games cheaper than that, ill pass, rather spend that on a game.

Any other day, id would have bought that juice in a heart beat.

xBladeM6x

For my first steam sale, i'm finding this shit to be beyond crazy. These low ball ass prices........cant even find prices like these at amazon. I bought 8 games thus far, havent even spend over $20 yet.......................WUT!?

I can't even get over how crazy that shit sounds, was talking to a friend of mines about this...........blew her fucking mind as she's a console gamer.

As a former console gamer, that shit is CRAZY alien to me, so used to paying 30-40 bucks for a game and even 20 and being like, aaawww HELL YEA!! I GOT A GOOD DEAL...........bitch please.......these sales..............madness i tell ya, MADNESS!!!

187196dcd428ccef1df8ae0be291911f1c2a670b17223f01cf4f8fbd81895678.jpg

Man, the more I think about it, the more I genuinely dislike the direction Valve's taken with their metagame/gamification of the sales. I miss when it was focused more on the games themselves.

naib

Bit on EUIV and have been playing for a cpl hours. I'm in BIG trouble with this game.

Now gobbling up the DLC that's on sale.
Is Conquest of Paradise worth it?

For my first steam sale, i'm finding this shit to be beyond crazy. These low ball ass prices........cant even find prices like these at amazon. I bought 8 games thus far, havent even spend over $20 yet.......................WUT!?

I can't even get over how crazy that shit sounds, was talking to a friend of mines about this...........blew her fucking mind as she's a console gamer.

As a former console gamer, that shit is CRAZY alien to me, so used to paying 30-40 bucks for a game and even 20 and being like, aaawww HELL YEA!! I GOT A GOOD DEAL...........bitch please.......these sales..............madness i tell ya, MADNESS!!!
O03CMlH.gif

I agree that was a missed opportunity xD.
I can't find it anywhere right now, weird.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/
http://groupees.com/
http://www.humblebundle.com/
http://www.indiegala.com/
http://www.lazyguysstudio.com/bundle/

Some of these games are even worth playing.

xeris

Bit on EUIV and have been playing for a cpl hours. I'm in BIG trouble with this game.

Now gobbling up the DLC that's on sale.
Is Conquest of Paradise worth it?

I enjoy it, but I have a feeling that someone new to the game may not get much out of it. Honestly, I'd go ahead and get it on sale but disable it for the first couple of games. May as well lock in the cheaper price and you'll probably want it later anyway.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the more I think about it, the more I genuinely dislike the direction Valve's taken with their metagame/gamification of the sales. I miss when it was focused more on the games themselves.

Buying games and then furiously trying to get a stupidly annoying achievement will always beat buying games to idle for virtual trading cards. Too bad they don't make money off achievements.

DukeBobby

Yeah, it's amazing.

My first Steam sale was the summer sale two years ago. I also made my first GAF post in the sale thread. Good times.

Sydle

My first steam sale. Picked up the following for around $50. Also got a Xbox One controller hooked up. I think I'm turning.

Doom 3 BFG
Bioshock Triple Pack
Borderlands 2 GOTY
Terraria
Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed

EDIT: Just added Saints Row 4

Grief.exe

I'm stuck between PC gaming and Console/Handheld...
it's like the Twilight Zone

(multiplats on PC)
(exclusives on Console/Handheld)
(and specific indies on Vita <3)

It's always good to be balanced. I find it difficult to switch between 3DS and PC as the 3DS titles are so damn expensive.

It also boggled my mind how GAF is such a console focused forum. I would imagine that those who get serious about this hobby would naturally gravitate towards PC for obvious reasons.

It's always good to be balanced. I find it difficult to switch between 3DS and PC as the 3DS titles are so damn expensive.

It also boggled my mind how GAF is such a console focused forum. I would imagine that those who get serious about this hobby would naturally gravitate towards PC for obvious reasons.

Fuck balance, PC ALL THE WAY!

naib

I enjoy it, but I have a feeling that someone new to the game may not get much out of it. Honestly, I'd go ahead and get it on sale but disable it for the first couple of games. May as well lock in the cheaper price and you'll probably want it later anyway.
I can see how one could get quickly overwhelmed just looking at the stuff already in my basket.

Loving what I've figured out so far though. I always imagined it a lot more static and board-gamey(not that that's a bad thing..). Can't believe I hadn't tried it before.

Will nab and save for later. Thanks!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Buying games and then furiously trying to get a stupidly annoying achievement will always beat buying games to idle for virtual trading cards. Too bad they don't make money off achievements.

Folks have pointed out that the Summer Sale of Legend, the Great Potato Hunt, and the Winter Sale That Had Coal were all an incredible undertaking by both Valve and all the devs involved, and partly thanks to the rise of things like the Steam Achievement Manager and the SteamDB website, would be basically impossible to pull off in a satisfactory and fair way now days. It's just too much work on all fronts, for no additional pay off.

I think we have to accept that those were Steam's Woodstock days. You had to be there.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Reposting for 15 minutes, some decent stuff in here. Some not entirely decent. And who doesn't love Deadly Premonition? Sane people? They're boring.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-38927605DAEF40FC - Taken by kcp12304. 1 entrants total.
Shadows Price for Our Sins Bonus Edition -- MB-6B7DAB22DDC21A87 - Taken by Lomax. 3 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-BDA2374000C438B4 - Taken by Evo X. 9 entrants total.
Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut -- MB-3B51D2AD4F349575 - Taken by fade_. 61 entrants total.
Tales of Maj'Eyal -- MB-66359BD85AA2EB38 - Taken by kevin1025. 5 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-E08B729916E56070
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-D751223B8FD7D50D - Taken by Shadowplay1979. 1 entrants total.
Millennium - A New Hope -- MB-839D4DA1B1A1DA00 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 6 entrants total.
Viscera Cleanup Detail Santa's Rampage -- MB-2285964FDE00CCE2
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-BBB64F2E49063415 - Taken by KainXVIII. 10 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-81B5148E9EB6011B - Taken by nacimento. 19 entrants total.

t1403843129z1.png

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One hour left!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-0D8CA1E0BE31C491 - Taken by KevMan1815. 95 entrants total.

t1403845964z1.png

dmc4-combo15fps-2-350i3s1y.gif

Turfster

Eh, gaming in general always gets console-skewed.
That's still where you get Joe and Jane Everyperson that just want to sit in front of their TV/play on their little handheld without having to actually think about anything or do anything harder than push a button.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GAF, I'm looking for honest opinions on this subject.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam/discussions/0/540744936443994944/

This user has a beef with the way that Enhanced Steam calculates the review percentages of a game (I can't really tell if this particular individual has any real stake in the game in question or not) but I've laid out my answer in the same thread.

My question is: should this process be changed? Since I can't access each and every review via the API (this would be hundreds of AJAX calls per page load, instead of the current 5) do you think the reviews should continue the way they are (calculated on the 50 most helpful of all time) or should the system be changed to one of the other filters, such as "Most Recent" or "Most helpful this year"?

When you're looking at a particular game's reviews on Steam, what filter do think is the most powerful in your own decision making process?

impact

Banned
That's still where you get Joe and Jane Everyperson that just want to sit in front of their TV/play on their little handheld without having to actually think about anything or do anything harder than push a button.

What a strange thing to say

Fracas

#fuckonami

I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter what platform you're playing on; we all like games yeah?

I play and talk about games a lot more than I should but the vast majority of my time is focused on consoles. It's just preference.

Turfster

What a strange thing to say

It's true, in the same way the steam community always votes for the "wrong" games.
GAF isn't the bigger gaming world out there, but the balance in numbers still translates to the micro level.

I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter what platform you're playing on; we all like games yeah?

Oh yes, I was just responding to Grief's rhetorical question.
Same reason almost all the ads and big events like E3 and Gamescom speak of nothing but consoles, this is just where the greater percentage of consumers can be found.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

That's why it's good to look for cheap DS games. It's amazing how many good games are being sold for ridiculously low prices. I'm not a big fan of Gamestop, but their bargain bins for DS games are filled with gems like Hotel Dusk Room 215 and Contact for cheap prices, for instance.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam/discussions/0/540744936443994944/

This user has a beef with the way that Enhanced Steam calculates the review percentages of a game (I can't really tell if this particular individual has any real stake in the game in question or not) but I've laid out my answer in the same thread.

My question is: should this process be changed? Since I can't access each and every review via the API (this would be hundreds of AJAX calls per page load, instead of the current 5) do you think the reviews should continue the way they are (calculated on the 50 most helpful of all time) or should the system be changed to one of the other filters, such as "Most Recent" or "Most helpful this year"?

When you're looking at a particular game's reviews on Steam, what filter do think is the most powerful in your own decision making process?

I prefer the way it is now, because I mainly look at the most helpful reviews on Steams, both the ones with the most votes and then the ones that are most helpful on both positive and negative reviews.

xeris

i'm on the fence about getting FFXIV on Steam. Can I play the same account between PS4 and Steam version?

Yes BUT (and it's a but as big as my sister-in-law's) you have to buy the "box" for both. So if you don't already have the PS4 version you'll have to buy it. That said, it's still only one monthly fee, your characters will be playable on both since they share the same servers, and the 30 free days stack so you'll actually get 60.

If that guy is referencing Gone Home, that is a special case so troll reviews are more prevalent than not. You should leave it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom