• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried Dishonored for 1 hour++ and I wasn't totally impressed by it. Should I give it a second chance and get the GOTY version?

Also I'm not a huge fan of horror game but RE Revelation looks interesting and it's 12 bucks now. Any thoughts?

LordK

I tried Dishonored for 1 hour++ and I wasn't totally impressed by it. Should I give it a second chance and get the GOTY version?

Also I'm not a huge fan of horror game but RE Revelation looks interesting and it's 12 bucks now. Any thoughts?

I think it was alright. It does get better imo... but not a whole lot. I think others would disagree with me.

Turfster

GAF, I'm looking for honest opinions on this subject.
Gone Home is an unfortunate example of how user reviews can be gamed to push an agenda.
This shouldn't translate to most games, and unless people want to pay you to trawl through all the reviews yourself and pick the "best/most accurate" of them (the horror), the current way of calculating is still the 'fairest' one, imo. I wouldn't change anything.

zkylon

zkylewd

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam/discussions/0/540744936443994944/

This user has a beef with the way that Enhanced Steam calculates the review percentages of a game (I can't really tell if this particular individual has any real stake in the game in question or not) but I've laid out my answer in the same thread.

My question is: should this process be changed? Since I can't access each and every review via the API (this would be hundreds of AJAX calls per page load, instead of the current 5) do you think the reviews should continue the way they are (calculated on the 50 most helpful of all time) or should the system be changed to one of the other filters, such as "Most Recent" or "Most helpful this year"?

When you're looking at a particular game's reviews on Steam, what filter do think is the most powerful in your own decision making process?
maybe just add a tooltip disclaimer saying it's based on 50 most helpful reviews with a link to the full review list

personally i think it's a neat feature but it's hindered by how useless steam's review system is

rrs

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam/discussions/0/540744936443994944/

This user has a beef with the way that Enhanced Steam calculates the review percentages of a game (I can't really tell if this particular individual has any real stake in the game in question or not) but I've laid out my answer in the same thread.

Maybe somehow apply weight to to the top reviews to get a percentage?

Maybe have a score based off the % that consider the top helpful scores to be helpful in both the recommend and not recommended categories and have it be two separate percentages.

tmarques

How come I had never heard of The Forest? I suddendly couldn't care less about Revelaitons getting a crappy discount. Is anyone playing it? How buggy is it?

The_Monk

There is more than one way to approach Dishonored. Pure Stealth, pure action or a mix of both. I would give it another fair chance if you can. The game can be pretty fun if you like mixing these style or if you just want to go for one style or another. Can't comment on the DLC since I have yet to play it on PC (I double dipped after finishing on console).

As for the Revelations, it's the only RE I haven't played it but if you can afford it then go ahead. There are bigger horror games out there so you should be fine. :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

My question is: should this process be changed? Since I can't access each and every review via the API (this would be hundreds of AJAX calls per page load, instead of the current 5) do you think the reviews should continue the way they are (calculated on the 50 most helpful of all time) or should the system be changed to one of the other filters, such as "Most Recent" or "Most helpful this year"?

When you're looking at a particular game's reviews on Steam, what filter do think is the most powerful in your own decision making process?

I've never used the Steam reviews (For a good explanation of why, see the example in your response that Gone Home is at -94%) but in theory recent reviews should be given more weight with most games these days. Even aside from early access, there are so many free to play games in active development and general patches/fixes in games that old reviews might not really matter any more.

Anustart

Anyone up for something? I'm anticipating sleeping dogs being in the community choice in the morning and wanna get a leg up.

Would one of you want to take my 30 cards + 1 booster pack and sell them now and buy it for me if it wins? If it loses, you can keep the funds.

tav7623

Haven't played Dishonored so I can't really comment on it , but I have played the 3DS version of Revelations which I for the most part enjoyed (imo it's the best RE since 4 though that honestly isn't saying much) as there wasn't a whole lot that I didn't like. Also if you are interested I would recommend you check out the new Revelations thread or some of the older ones such as this one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I think it's fine.

I don't think there's much you can do differently at this point.

Personally, if I see a review ratio that looks strange, I just start reading the reviews.

Grief.exe

$10 left in the wallet and I have no clue what to buy since RE4 didn't go 75% off. Looks like the only thing left to do this sale is craft another summer badge for when blue might get 3rd place again.

If anything, limiting it to friends only would be useful, but overall I would actually vote to remove it and save the overhead (and "why is Going Home so hated" discussions)

I really only hit "negative only" to see what people are complaining about. I find most of the positive reviews are from developers/testers or people saying "OMG I've played 30 seconds and this is game of the year!". Not that the negative reviews are much better, but at least it gives you some idea.

Nirran

Another day of disappoint with this M&M contest. 0/6 so far on it. Hoping we get a deal on Transistor since the community deal with it failed.

Vecks

I think it's fine the way it is. Steam reviews aren't exactly all that helpful to begin with. For certain games some of the most helpful reviews are just joke reviews. So when it comes to steam reviews, just being able to see in general whether or not a game is favorably received is all I really care about. And if I want to know more about whether or not a game is good, I usually check the forums instead for the details. That said, Most helpful this year does sound somewhat better, since games can change at any time for better or worse.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Spintires is really something else. Runs great on my crappy PC, and the physics of the mud and water are crazy awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
blood dragon sucked

wish i just youtube'd the cutscenes :3

*ducks*

Blood Dragon is just Far Cry 3 with retro sci-fi-related stylistic and thematic changes. For some that was enough, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who found Far Cry 3 a chore to play.

kiri

My first game given out! I hope it goes smoothly!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kiri, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-A6DA021BA4F6B93E - Taken by Lazulic. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Trine 2: Complete Story was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1403843899z1.png

Risen and Tomb Raider impressions:

Risen is a game where the main character starts out in a boat, encounters an unnatural, possibly even supernatural, storm, and lands on a mysterious island. Nobody seems to be able to leave the island because of the storms. It contains several sites of ruins, and is run by a cult.

Tomb Raider, on the other hand, is a game where the main character starts out in a boat, encounters an unnatural, possibly even supernatural, storm, and lands on a mysterious island. Nobody seems to be able to leave the island because of the storms. It contains several sites of ruins, and is run by a cult.

Both games are also a lot of fun to play.

xeris

Is the DLC for Crusader Kings 2 worth it or should I just go for the base game alone?

As someone WAY up-thread said, they're worth it but each changes the game in significant ways. For example, The Republic adds merchant republics as a playable option. I'd probably hold off on Sunset Invasion since that's the weirdest of the bunch, but may as well dive in on the rest.

i'll just leave this here, good luck everyone.
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shovel Knight -- MB-11686F771D07734A - Taken by phoenix296. 70 entrants total.

delirium

Is the DLC for Crusader Kings 2 worth it or should I just go for the base game alone?
A lot of the improvements are added to the base game, but if you want to play as a Muslim, a religious person, a Pagan, be part of the Indian subcontinent, or a person in a Republic, you need the DLC.

Grief.exe

I wonder if Microsoft, or whoever owns the IP at this point, is going to bring over Freelancer to Steam.

Microsoft has been doing an excellent job lately.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Risen and Tomb Raider impressions:

Risen is a game where the main character starts out in a boat, encounters an unnatural, possibly even supernatural, storm, and lands on a mysterious island. Nobody seems to be able to leave the island because of the storms. It contains several sites of ruins, and is run by a cult.

Tomb Raider, on the other hand, is a game where the main character starts out in a boat, encounters an unnatural, possibly even supernatural, storm, and lands on a mysterious island. Nobody seems to be able to leave the island because of the storms. It contains several sites of ruins, and is run by a cult.

Both games are also a lot of fun to play.

I've yet to give Risen a fair shake as I just can't look past the fact you have to manually sheath your weapon before interacting with objects. I don't know why that annoys me so much, and I wish it didn't, but it does.

Awesome old games
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Wizardry 8 -- MB-BDCBB59A899C0B26 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.
System Shock 2 -- MB-A7DCE9B8D776EB59 - Taken by Dragonborn. 6 entrants total.
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-A4B216611D867517 - Taken by HP_Wuvcraft. 4 entrants total.

t1403844349z1.png

I've yet to give Risen a fair shake as I just can't look past the fact you have to manually sheath your weapon before interacting with objects. I don't know why that annoys me so much, and I wish it didn't, but it does.

It was made by the same people as Gothic, from what I recall, and Gothic was even jankier. Like requiring shift+up or control+up to do things, or some nonsense, with no way to change the key bindings for them. So I gave Risen a pass because it really was a vast improvement. The worst part of the control scheme is having to drop your torch in order to draw your weapon. What, you can't extinguish and stow it? It gets to the point that I just stumble around in the dark ruins with a weapon drawn rather than bother with a torch.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
41a.gif

0/7.

Tomorrow will be the day.

It'll happen, just keep believing!

And on that note, I'm now 3/6. >_>

So I'm already locked out of the market thanks to using my first Mars money to fund my wallet, but can I still use it to purchase a game directly through Steam? I want to grab Long Live the Queen but Amazon doesn't have it.

kurahador

I've played Revelations on 3DS and PC. I thought the game is alot of fun. Playing on PC though, you'll notice the obvious stuff that shows it's a port of less powerful console with its enemy variety and movements. Otherwise it's nothing serious.

Story is pretty good---lots of twists and turns, B-movie elements...etc. And the story will jumps around multiple characters. So seeing stuff from other points of view was fun for me.

And don't worry too much about the horror elements. It's far from Dead Space or RE4 level of creepiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom