• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
41a.gif

0/7.

Tomorrow will be the day.

I know the feeling.
NxTmYnV.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for the thoughts everyone, it was pretty much in line with what I was thinking but I don't want to be some hard-headed asshole who thinks "my way of doing things is the best and/or only way!" - it's important to me that I get feedback on features like this to keep them as relevant as possible.

I do think this one particular game is a bit of an isolated case. It sucks if this feature has caused them lost sales, but the same is true for a product on Amazon or elsewhere that suffers in the same way for the same thing. If those same 4,700 people who have left positive reviews for Gone Home went ahead and marked the top 50 bad reviews as "not helpful", this wouldn't even be an issue.

The way it's done is a bit of a democratic process, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for now.

Caerith

GAF, I'm looking for honest opinions on this subject.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/enhancedsteam/discussions/0/540744936443994944/

This user has a beef with the way that Enhanced Steam calculates the review percentages of a game (I can't really tell if this particular individual has any real stake in the game in question or not) but I've laid out my answer in the same thread.

My question is: should this process be changed? Since I can't access each and every review via the API (this would be hundreds of AJAX calls per page load, instead of the current 5) do you think the reviews should continue the way they are (calculated on the 50 most helpful of all time) or should the system be changed to one of the other filters, such as "Most Recent" or "Most helpful this year"?

When you're looking at a particular game's reviews on Steam, what filter do think is the most powerful in your own decision making process?

The ES percentage is as valid as a Metacritic score, which is provided by Steam even without enhancement.

Personally, the only reviews I care for are those by my Steam friends, who have excellent taste. I only take the aggregate scores into a cursory consideration because, not being on reddit an idiot, I form my own opinions.

The biggest problem with the ES function is that some of the best reviews on Steam are friends-only, which makes them practically private ever since Xelios unfriended practically everyone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Microsoft, or whoever owns the IP at this point, is going to bring over Freelancer to Steam.

Microsoft has been doing an excellent job lately.

That ball is entirely in Microsoft's court it seems: the USPTO database lists MS as as the owner of the trademark and the US copyright database lists MS as the owner of the game itself.

The_Monk

Regarding the little impressions I posted about Valiant Hearts in the the other page, if someone would like to give any advice on how to improve my writing (considering that English is not my native language) feel free to drop me a PM with some tips. Steam-GAF already helps me a lot, actually!

---

Also, what's the latest news about Fable Anniversary for PC? Any information on the release date? Is it going to have a retail release or will it be Steam only?

MBison

far cry 3 blood dragon looks amazing...

is it really, though?

I mean, it's a fairly basic shooter but great setting, lots of humorous moments (especially if you are into 80s action movies), nice music, handful of side activities and missions (not as extensive as FC3), definitely worth the discount.

Hitman Absolution is pretty decent so far. Only played through the tutorial and the chinatown mission.

It's a pretty fun game with stellar presentation but unfortunately there are few missions like Chinatown in terms of being built around assassinations and the game has a lot of filler. Still, worth playing and it's a nice base for the next hitman game to build upon with the new mobility and improved gunplay being the best changes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, what's the latest news about Fable Anniversary for PC? Any information on the release date? Is it going to have a retail release or will it be Steam only?

Nothing has been said since Lionhead uploaded the teaser to YouTube. I'm playing through the original at the moment, so I hope it's still a few months away as I think I'd burn myself out if I were to jump straight from TLC to Anniversary.

It was made by the same people as Gothic, from what I recall, and Gothic was even jankier. Like requiring shift+up or control+up to do things, or some nonsense, with no way to change the key bindings for them. So I gave Risen a pass because it really was a vast improvement. The worst part of the control scheme is having to drop your torch in order to draw your weapon. What, you can't extinguish and stow it? It gets to the point that I just stumble around in the dark ruins with a weapon drawn rather than bother with a torch.

Haha, yeah, the first underground ruins you encounter is where I quit the last time I played it.

Exuro

I wonder if Shovel Knight is selling well or if it'll pull a Toki Tori 2. It's in the top 25 so I suppose it's doing good.

Turfster

The way it's done is a bit of a democratic process, and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for now.
Besides, if you look at the basic Steam webpage without enhanced steam while not logged in (when friend reviews are listed and pushed to the top), Gone Home's 5 reviews are still 80% "not recommended", so yeah, the problem doesn't lie with Enhanced Steam here.

Aren't other sites like GMG , indie gala and humble bundle stores running sales too?

They mostly did their big sales before the Steam sale started.
(Except GOG, whose is still running, but no Steam keys there, of course)

Stage On

I've spent under $25 in total so far in this sale which pretty low for me considering how the last few went.

Part of me wants to stop now and call it a day and the other part is really tempted by that Goat Simulator

The_Monk

Nirran

I wonder if Shovel Knight is selling well or if it'll pull a Toki Tori 2. It's in the top 25 so I'd suppose not.

Well it managed to get into the top 20 today (I believe it was in the 15th spot) on steam which is amazing considering the sale is going on. I think it'll do pretty good overall.

Exuro

It's a pretty fun game with stellar presentation but unfortunately there are few missions like Chinatown in terms of being built around assassinations and the game has a lot of filler. Still, worth playing and it's a nice base for the next hitman game to build upon with the new mobility and improved gunplay being the best changes.
The chinatown mission is interesting to me. It's like having a very simple puzzle that has several ways to solve it. I guess Blood Money was that with more content per level but it feels like a good way to show players that you can complete missions in different ways.

tav7623

is it really, though?

It's a good game that is also a love letter to cheesy 80's sci-fi action movies (the bit early on with the helicopter & long tall sally blaring was imo awesome) & pop culture all soaked in a coat of neon. The only thing about this game that disappointed me was that it was a bit short.....not MGS: GZ short, but close as I was able to beat the game's 7 story missions in 3 hrs.

Miker

is it really, though?

I know everybody else will say yes, but I'll offer a different opinion:

It's okay. I played it without ever having touched Far Cry 3, and I thought I had enough of Far Cry 3 by the time I finished Blood Dragon. It starts out with a section that makes fun of annoying tutorials, then puts you in an annoying tutorial, which is a black mark against the game for me. The humor, I think, can get a bit obnoxious in a similar way, in that I think it would've been funnier if it had played it completely straight and not be a tiny bit too far up its ass with self-awareness.

I don't think the mission design is anything to write home about, and the open world-ness of it seems empty and pointless, even for a Ubi game. I took over maybe two outposts, then stuck to story missions for the rest of the time. The weapons have kickass animations, but otherwise, they're variations on the standard military arsenal. There wasn't really anything terribly special about the way the game actually *played*.

At the current price, I think it's definitely worth it, and I wouldn't have regretted it had I paid that price for it (I actually got it for free), but maybe this post will lead you to not buy another game you don't need ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quick update, I added 20 something more games to the Indie Games Steam sale thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841250

Added Doorkickers, Defenders Quest, Bunny Must Die, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Pineapple Smash Crew, 10,000,000 , DLC Quest, Hard Reset, Plague Inc Evolved, Marlow Briggs, Moonbase Commander, Sacrifice, Defy Gravity:Extended,JetsnGuns, Volgarr, The Ball, 10 second ninja, Capsule, Influx, Dustforce, Astebreed and maybe a few others I forgot to list now.

Exuro

Well it managed to get into the top 20 today (I believe it was in the 15th spot) on steam which is amazing considering the sale is going on. I think it'll do pretty good overall.
Yeah, I don't remember TT2 being anywhere in the top sellers which was unfortunate. Looks like this game has a good amount of hype/word of mouth behind it to keep it above most of the summer sale deals.

Mario007

As someone WAY up-thread said, they're worth it but each changes the game in significant ways. For example, The Republic adds merchant republics as a playable option. I'd probably hold off on Sunset Invasion since that's the weirdest of the bunch, but may as well dive in on the rest.

Ok thanks, will try em out!

Paertan

Goat Simulator get

I am a bit tempted to buy Alice, Resident Evil 6 and Strike Vector. 2,49$ for Alice and I have heard some good about it. But I have already one hell of a backlog.....
Gonna think about it for an hour or so.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I mean, it's a fairly basic shooter but great setting, lots of humorous moments (especially if you are into 80s action movies), nice music, handful of side activities and missions (not as extensive as FC3), definitely worth the discount.

well, i never played FC3. i watched a trailer for vanilla and it didn't do anything for me. All i'm guessing is its a free-world shooter, but I have yet to really play one of those...

Do you like schlocky 80's movies? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FG7E9gQDIE

It's far cry 3 on 80's action LSD

yeah, i love them. :p

the call of juarez package makes it seem worth it, since i'm into having a western game, too.

I know everybody else will say yes, but I'll offer a different opinion:

It's okay. I played it without ever having touched Far Cry 3, and I thought I had enough of Far Cry 3 by the time I finished Blood Dragon. It starts out with a section that makes fun of annoying tutorials, then puts you in an annoying tutorial, which is a black mark against the game for me. The humor, I think, can get a bit obnoxious in a similar way, in that I think it would've been funnier if it had played it completely straight and not be a tiny bit too far up its ass with self-awareness.

I don't think the mission design is anything to write home about, and the open world-ness of it seems empty and pointless, even for a Ubi game. I took over maybe two outposts, then stuck to story missions for the rest of the time. The weapons have kickass animations, but otherwise, they're variations on the standard military arsenal. There wasn't really anything terribly special about the way the game actually *played*.

At the current price, I think it's definitely worth it, and I wouldn't have regretted it had I paid that price for it (I actually got it for free), but maybe this post will lead you to not buy another game you don't need ;)

thanks for this. i think the main thing i was curious about was how much actual play time this would offer, but yeah the price sort of eliminates that, even if it is only 3 hours of gameplay.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Aren't other sites like GMG , indie gala and humble bundle stores running sales too?

Greenman had their big sale a week before Steam's started, it was pretty good for picking things up with credit or vouchers. GOG.com has been running a concurrent sale and has had some pretty sweet deals on bundles and individual titles. Amazon.com has been doing some price matching, I believe. I think Humble has had some flash sales, but I'm not sure if they're doing a lot. Bundlestars came out with a pretty nice bundle and they're giving away Space Chem keys through pcgamer.

That's all I can think of off hand without checking CAG or isthereanydeal.

steadfast

well, i never played FC3. i watched a trailer for vanilla and it didn't do anything for me. All i'm guessing is its a free-world shooter, but I have yet to really play one of those...

yeah, i love them. :p

the call of juarez package makes it seem worth it, since i'm into having a western game, too.

Juarez is another fantastic game. Those two together make a fantastic purchase.

Nirran

Yeah, I don't remember TT2 being anywhere in the top sellers which was unfortunate. Looks like this game has a good amount of hype/word of mouth behind it to keep it above most of the summer sale deals.

It does help that most of the reviews I've seen for it have been gushing over the game. That helps when you have buyers that are influenced by reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom