• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's depressing. I gave away a copy of Long Live the Queen but the person who claimed it didn't activate it. They took it-- it's not in my inventory-- but it isn't in their game list. I got curious and startled googling, and it turns out that they have a pattern of taking games without activating.

This is how this bullshit makes me feel:

I'm not going to name names. I'm sure detective-gaf could find lots of people who do this. The community here is pretty good, but it's hard to see that past the scum sometimes.
This is messed up. I could understand if it was something that like... everyone had and he'd cleared it with the giver ahead of time (I've done that a couple times in the past for giving stuff to buddies, like those billion copies of Dead Space and Burnout that were going unclaimed), but not saying anything about it is just... messed up. He could be giving them away, or selling them, or who knows what. And people have seen him do it before? :(

Khronico

Alright SteamGAF, I've decided to participate in this wonderful game of mystery game raffles, but there's a slight difference: NO BAD RATS. One of these 2 games in the mystery raffle is Don't Starve, the other is Takedown: Red Sabre. CHOOSE WISELY.
ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mystery Game #2 -- MB-8CC1F025FD431BE4 - Taken by Halo 2. 20 entrants total.
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-39765459990D209D - Taken by Darkroronoa. 18 entrants total.

t1404001499z1.png

This is my first steam gift giveaway so if it the link doesn't work add me on steam and I'll manually gift it to you.

Alright SteamGAF, I've decided to participate in this wonderful game of mystery game raffles, but there's a slight difference: NO BAD RATS. One of these 2 games in the mystery raffle is Don't Starve, the other is Takedown: Red Sabre. CHOOSE WISELY.

This is my first steam gift giveaway so if it the link doesn't work add me on steam and I'll manually gift it to you.

Takedown: Red Sabre? GOAT

does anyone know if painkiller hell and damnation was on flash or daily sale? I just remembered that game and since I played a lot of the original painkiller with a friend, and this has co op, wanna try it

Grief.exe

Banished basically has the deal it has during the whole sale, 25%

someone didnt tell the devs that dailies arent ACTUTALLY dailies, they are 48hours lol

edit: oh it wasnt a daily deal yesterday? then wtf is it doing there, what game should be there instead?

To my knowledge, it was a daily all day yesterday.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It is pretty insane, but i feel like it would be stupid of Valve to rig it. There is so much to lose there if they are caught.

I'm fairly sure they have attempted to rig things in the past which is why people are so fast to call them out on this event

The great coalfest has bittered them to this world

Jawmuncher

This is a Steam Gift so hopefully no fiascos will occur with a winner not claiming it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Lamulana -- MB-6A5796E270AE2E45 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 24 entrants total.

t1403991905z1.png

As I understand it he has set his gift inventory to private (I have too because not everyone needs to see/know everything) so the game could very well be in there but the polite thing to do is to immediately activate won games. Also it looks like this isn't the first time this has happened.
Well, that's pretty fucked up. :\ I'd be upset and pissed if I were the giver.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
If you guys could choose a game to get a holy spirit price glitch in these last deals. Which game would it be?

jediyoshi

n8C13F1.png

Really how stupid does Valve think we are? How in the world is this not rigged?

So when it was fluctuating wildly, was it rigged then? Lay out to us the scenarios in which the results would appear not rigged and I'll link you to posts that say the opposite of what you're saying.

alekth

does anyone know if painkiller hell and damnation was on flash or daily sale? I just remembered that game and since I played a lot of the original painkiller with a friend, and this has co op, wanna try it

Don't think it was, since I'd been looking for the original and franchises usually move together.

i bought alice madness returns a few days ago for 5 bucks, and i started playing it and the design is amazing, really liking it!

although at first i had a lot of popup textures and 30 fps cap... thank god tweaking it is easy

~Kinggi~

Banned
All you really need are some "whales", rich steam users cooperating with other rich users to fuck with everyone and keep buying the steal points to keep everything even. Or not even cooperating, just immediately stepping up when one falls behind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot etiquette re: fraud
- I don't generally like to police the marketplace because I don't want giveaways to become a hassle or frustrating or a popularity contest or anything like that. I don't want my role in programming ModBot to overlap with my role in moderating GAF. My preference is that the tools are built in such a way that users can make informed decisions about participating and who they want to participate. I generally believe that it's impossible for someone to pull off a scam twice, but it's also impossible to predict who will pull of a scam once before they do, so trying to be overkill with protection won't work anyway.

- I do recommend everyone use the BLACKLIST rule for every giveaway. I don't plan on making public who is blacklisted, but when I look at the names, they're all connected to either specific cases of abuse or being people who win bazillions of games and enter for everything with no discretion at all. Most of the issues seem built around people claiming too many games, not claiming individual high-value games that they shouldn't have. I also recommend that anyone who has an issue with a specific member's pattern of using ModBot use the permablock function. Imagine if many people have an issue with a member but no one speaks up? They'll never end up blacklisted. So please make use of the functions, don't feel scared.

- If someone claims a game they don't intend to personally redeem (in the case of very low end bundle fodder, redeeming for friends would probably be OK, but for anything that was competitive or incurred a cost on the part of the giver, only the claimer should be using the game), that's obviously fraud and they should be blocked permanently and immediately. That's an obvious abuse. And we've had a year working through these issues, so there shouldn't be much confusion at this point. The giveaway text is clear. I also deliberately made the giveaway text the reflect that some people might want to collect games--some people are bothered by that, but it serves to separate behaviour which people grumble about from stuff that is out-and-out fraud. Someone who doesn't even redeem the game isn't collecting, they're profiting. That's gross.

GAF moderation:
- As with B/S/T (the buy/sell/trade thread), we can't as a matter of moderation ban people for not having a good reputation. We can and do ban people for sort of high-end fraud. I would say claiming a full price game with no intent to redeem it would constitute fraud. My preference would be that if you think you have a fraud claim that I need to be concerned about as a moderator, please wait 7-10 days, verify that there's no alternate explanation ("I was away from my computer", "My account was locked", "I have two accounts at home and I redeemed it on the one my wife and I use"), send a follow-up PM to the would-be fraudster and ask them to explain themselves, and contact me only when you think you can present this as a slam dunk case.

Going forward:
- I am always considering new rules and the stress-test of this sale has done a lot to help me get my thoughts together. I believe I will be adjusting the throttle so that people who are in the top 3-5 all-time winners will be ineligible as long as they're in the top 3-5. This ensures both that others win in the mean time and ensures a longer time-out for the worst abusers. I am considering making lightning raffles the default. I am considering making the throttle higher for raffles than for giveaways, so people are more allowed to grab first-come-first-serve stuff but less allowed to be the lucky winner of high-competition raffles. This seems fair to me in terms or reflecting the different goals givers have ("liquidate this garbage for me i don't give a damn" versus "hope my bundle extras go to a good home" versus "i bought a game because i am very generous").

- I am considering tweaking how the BLACKLIST works a little. It is possible that in the future we will move to a system that uses the blacklist by default and lets people opt out for stuff where they don't care. Or it's possible that we will switch to a two-tier system where the worst abusers are blocked unless you opt out, while lesser abusers are only blocked if you opt in. I'm kicking ideas around.

- I am considering more optional giveaway rules including one which will require someone to have given away something since they last claimed something. I know this has the perverse incentive of making people give away bundle junk in between entering for big time games, but I still think it's important to build up structures that encourage fair use of the system and I think this will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom