• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw stump i think it may be nice to add a line linking to the modbot thread with something like "if you want to do a giveaway of your own check out how here: link"

like it's easy to go to the op and look for the link there but that seems handy to me

Is Max Payne 3 Complete edition for 6.99€ worth it?
i'm pretty sure it's all multiplayer so probably not unless you're really into it

wHu6pFw.png

As a backer and a lover of anything Tim Shafer I have decided to give away Broken Age! But with a twist!

Two of the mystery games are Broken Age.
The other three are Bad Rats.

Choose wisely and goodluck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #3 -- MB-E037FE8A4B47BE4D
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-6F88A13F8B97A0C3 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-C6F14D5A5EE06C0D
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-40840119B5AAEEB7 - Taken by dream
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-03CF13D4DA2C7C29 - Taken by Sajjaja

t1404075335z1.png

kierwynn

Awesome giveway.

However...

YOUHAVEMADEAHUGEMISTAKE.GIF

By the time I have a chance to play it, it'll probably be on sale again. My immediate backlog is pretty huge and I'm starting my second year of grad school in a month. I figure I can let someone else enjoy it in the mean time! I just bought it because I didn't want to miss it if I did decide I really wanted to play it now. lol

Tizoc

I just now realized I think I got Derrick the Deathfin off of Indie Game Stand, and as an attempt to support it, I bought it off Steam too, so now I have 2 copies lol. I mean I could just stick to the DRM-free ver. and giveaway the 2 copies...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, there are basically two reasons for changing raffle timings:
1) Different raffle timings work better for ModBot technically in terms of being able to find and identify posts and edit out the winners. Originally modbot only knew how to look back through the thread page by page, so obviously long-term raffles required reposting or me to manually attach giveaways to posts before the timers expired. I've actually solved this by teaching ModBot how to use GAF's search engine to find results, which in turn basically should near-100% solve any failure-to-edit problems. Going forward ModBot will be able to edit out every single post so even reposting will be no problem.

2) Different raffle timings are something that users want because they don't want to have to continue reposting their raffles or whatever. We've talked about it before. I'm not against it, I'm just not sold on arbitrary raffle timings (pain in the ass to debug, subject to abuse for people doing things like "lol a 15 year raffle enjoy getting this when u retire", presents more visual confusion and requires users to read more closely than pre-set categories) and I haven't quite decided based on thread speed which pre-set timings are the best. It's not hard for me to change the timings, I could switch all 3-hour raffles to 1-hour raffles by editing a line of code. It's more about trying to figure out the timings that make the most sense for users. 24 hours is probably too long for most users, that's the one I'm least happy with.

my bad I thought it was a easy thing to add (im a noob). I just hate 24hour raffles, 3 hour ones are ok but I would still rather have 1 hour.

15min lightning ones are fine for bundle stuff and whatnot, but I prefer something a little longer for bigger stuff, and for me 1 hour is the sweet spot

my bad I thought it was a easy thing to add (im a noob). I just hate 24hour raffles, 3 hour ones are ok but I would still rather have 1 hour.

15min lightning ones are fine for bundle stuff and whatnot, but I prefer something a little longer for bigger stuff, and for me 1 hour is the sweet spot

As usual, senpai is right.

By the time I have a chance to play it, it'll probably be on sale again. My immediate backlog is pretty huge and I'm starting my second year of grad school in a month. I figure I can let someone else enjoy it in the mean time!

It's pretty short. You could have played it before some of the other longer stuff in your backlog. :p
*blub blub blub in disappointment*

Cheers to you for spreading the wealth though. This game made me laugh a lot.
Octodad hates piranhas.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles, a suggestion for Enhanced Steam... I don't now if it would be feasible or not.

On each game's store page, when you click on a screenshot a new browser window (or tab) opens. If you want to see some screenshots, you must swicht between tabs, opening and closing all of them, which is a bit annoying.

Would be possible, after clicking on an image and opening the browser window, to add something that allows to rotate through the screenshot carrousel of the game stotr page? I'm thinking something like arrows to browse to the next/previous image, but I don't know if it is doable or not.

Yeah, I might be able to come up with a sort of lightbox overlay that lets you browse these easier, thanks for the suggestion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just now realized I think I got Derrick the Deathfin off of Indie Game Stand, and as an attempt to support it, I bought it off Steam too, so now I have 2 copies lol. I mean I could just stick to the DRM-free ver. and giveaway the 2 copies...

didnt they add a key to the indiegamestand one?

Turfster

raffle lengths
I agree the 24 hour raffle is a hassle for basically everyone involved, since either the person that started it needs to keep reposting it, or people from another 'shift' won't even know about it most of the time. If you keep in an option for something longer than 3 hours, maybe have modbot do a post with active longer raffles every 2 hours or whatever seems appropriate,

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
2) Different raffle timings are something that users want because they don't want to have to continue reposting their raffles or whatever. We've talked about it before. I'm not against it, I'm just not sold on arbitrary raffle timings (pain in the ass to debug, subject to abuse for people doing things like "lol a 15 year raffle enjoy getting this when u retire", presents more visual confusion and requires users to read more closely than pre-set categories) and I haven't quite decided based on thread speed which pre-set timings are the best. It's not hard for me to change the timings, I could switch all 3-hour raffles to 1-hour raffles by editing a line of code. It's more about trying to figure out the timings that make the most sense for users. 24 hours is probably too long for most users, that's the one I'm least happy with.

Why don't you make a two tier system? Limit the custom giveaway times to hour increments with 1-24 hours being the range. That coupled with a default 15 minute lightning raffle would cover the needs of most Modbot giveaways.

12-24 hours is a nice option for the GAF members who want to giveaway whatever nascent title that is currently a main topic on GAF and in the general Steam thread.

Your Bad Rats propaganda won't work Jason.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree the 24 hour raffle is a hassle for basically everyone involved, since either the person that started it needs to keep reposting it, or people from another 'shift' won't even know about it most of the time. If you keep in an option for something longer than 3 hours, maybe have modbot do a post with active longer raffles every 2 hours or whatever seems appropriate,

This is something that used to be hard to do but now wouldn't be since the part of ModBot's code that does posting on your behalf is a lot more robust than it used to be.

MUnited83

For you.
ModBot said:
Instructions for BernardoOne:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Ship -- MB-6F1B7156ABC34404 - Taken by adriano999. 4 entrants total.

t1461617400z4.png

Tellaerin

Personally I feel 24 hour raffles are far too long.

Maybe I'm just impatient but I would much prefer shorter raffles as default (3 or 1 hours is plenty).

The 24-hour option's nice for when you're raffling off something that you'd like both the day and night crews to get a crack at.

I would like to see 8 or 12 hour raffles so people from different time zones have equal opportunity to enter.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So assuming tomorrow is the last day of the sale, I plan on getting-
Batman: Arkham City
Tomb Raider 2013
Sleeping Dogs
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Max Payne 3

And Maybe-
Brothers
TWD Season 1
Gone Home

I have a few questions-

1. Are all of the above well optimized games? My PC is weak and poorly optimized games usually don't run.

2. I played a bit of YS 1, and did not care for it. Should I get Oath in Felghana anyway? I love good soundtracks.

3. Is their any reason I shouldn't wait to play the "Maybe" games? I will probably eventually buy them anyway, but after the prices have dropped.

4. Are their any other moderately lengthy games that I should get? I like action-adventure games, but I am turned off by slow beginnings, clunky combat, and excessive menu usage.

Thanks for any responses.

The_Monk

IIRC javadots was around during an era where raffle functionality was preliminary and not frequently used; he mostly exploited the fact that you could camp giveaways and claim them immediately. But let me be clear that the root problem with javadots wasn't the abusive behaviour (we have tools to respond to that), but rather the way he gloated and later turned to insulting members who were bothered by his conduct.

I was one of the members he decided to be "less polite" and I'm glad I decided to speak up, I do regret not doing so much early. I talked in private with some GAFfers and they all told me to speak up to a Moderator and print-screen all those messages but I never did that since I didn't want to bother any of the Mods with this. I felt embarrassed to even consider searching for a mod to give some advice.

Caerith

btw stump i think it may be nice to add a line linking to the modbot thread with something like "if you want to do a giveaway of your own check out how here: link"

like it's easy to go to the op and look for the link there but that seems handy to me
That would be fitting on the givers-only giveaways so there's no "how do i become a giver" confusion.

Maybe have like a middle ground 1.5 hour raffle? I dunno.
90 minutes would be good.

Nzyme32

Yeah... It's pretty obvious that at least today is somewhat "guided" by the invisible hand of Valve.

To people who think Valve wouldn't do it, need I point to the Potato Sack event leading into Portal 2 wherein Valve gave players the impression that their actions would lead to Portal 2's early release?

And then the entire thing was basically rigged to always have ended at midnight. Valve isn't exactly against giving their fanbase the illusion of influence while controlling it behind the scenes to encourage more sales.

But it did actually release early than billed, and it wasn't midnight, at least in the UK. Whether that was rigged is unknowable without someone with knowledge internally

Quikies83

Let me know if it's good :)

So far, I'm really enjoying it. The atmosphere is top notch - couple that with the fantastic music and voice acting... if you're into space exploration. I'd recommend at that price $7.
Not a lot of "game" though. Mostly platforming, a puzzle here and there, and a cutscene. Definitely a game you can get sucked into and just escape/relax.

for those that don't know what game I'm talking about, it's Lifeless Planet.
Steam key available at http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/active-discounts/lifeless-planet.html

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Figured I would do my first giveaway with one of my favorite games of last generation :D

ModBot 2 said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut -- MB-3D97045E7E091585 - Taken by t0rment

t1404004032z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom